Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

TheMcD posted:

- She is female.
- She is an Elf.
- She fights with Drones (everything else is just so inefficient with regards to Karma use).
- Her street name, because I am creatively bankrupt and take inspiration from the closest thing possible at the time of character creation, is Dragon Lady. Always cut a deal with Dragon Lady!

I am on board with this setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I started a fresh game inspired by this LP, going the decker-with-drones route; typically I play Mages, so it's a nice change. In my intro battle the spirit quit on me in round 2 and hosed off, but Sam really held his own there.

I think that Pro Mage Strategy, in my experience, isn't what might be expected - a giant grab bag of spells. Instead it works best to find a particular type of spell and specialize in it so that you can always afford the most up-to-date version, then double-dip into a second type (confusion-type spells with a smattering of firebolts and fireballs so that I can burn things while waiting for the cooldown on confusion, for instance). By focusing you save a lot of cash that can then go into those oh-so-critical medkits and trauma patches (especially important since you're a mage and therefore scrawny). Even in the stingy-as-hell Hong Kong I was usually swimming in medkits by endgame because I wasn't always jonesing for the shiniest new gun or cyber.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

I dont know posted:

I would also like to give a special mention one of the most mocked parts of 2nd edition rules, The Skill Web. The idea behind The Skill Web was that experience in some skills were transferable to other similar skills. So for example, you want to shoot a rifle, but your character doesn't have the skill firearms:rifle. No problem, you have a high skill level in firearms:pistol, and since the two skills are similar, you can use your pistol skill in place of a rifle skill with a small penalty modifier. The Skill Web was a large chart of every skill in the game connected but lines and dots. For every step you move on the skill web the modifier increased. This means that any skill can potentially be substituted for any other skill if you take a large enough penalty. It is very difficult, but completely possible to use your same skill in pistols to, for example, land a helicopter.

Ahhhh, the skill web. The seed of a good idea, extrapolated out to the point where it long since ceases to be a good idea.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Dietrich was the best.

"I was the front man in a punk band."
"So you can sing?"
"Did you hear me say 'punk band'? gently caress no I can't sing!"

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

I like the story, but is it really necessary to mention every piece of equipment by its maker and model? It's grating.

Read anything Tom Clancy or his ilk have ever written. Notice how it's never just "a gun?"

Same mindset.You use the brand name so the reader knows how awesome it is.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

OAquinas posted:

It would have to be the guy that keeps losing teams, since this was a full party wipe.

Still, "runner" shouldn't imply "competent"--any idiot with a gun and a poor sense of risk management can be a runner.
"Experienced, Veteran runner" OTOH, definitely says that person is either really lucky, or has some real skills.

Yeah, any idiot can be a shadowrunner. Being a shadowrunner more than once, however, is usually a sign that you're a badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

What the hell is that glowing hose supposed to be FOR anyway?

combat drugs

smoke Jazz erryday

• Locked thread