Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I uh

I suspect I might've come across a minor bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Punch something then report back

I can't, that's not Amazon!

E: Well I guess I could, but I imagine you just hit real hard.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 4, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Alright so, I was going through the next area (Pike Place Market) and picked up the companion you encounter pretty early on. I was going to write up some stuff about their stats and skills like I did with Jake, but when I opened the Karma window I noticed that all of their stats except for Body were in the 7-9 range. They even had 12 base Charisma which is literally impossible for a human. I knew something was off, so I reloaded the area autosave and tried again, but this time all of their stats were in the 5-7 range and with 10 Charisma.

Looking up their normal stats, I realized that all of them except for Body were 4 higher than normal the first time around, and 2 higher than normal the second time around. It was obviously some sort of bug, and it also dawned on me that maybe Jake's stats hadn't been increased in a patch like I thought, and instead this same thing had happened to him. Sure enough, the stats I showed earlier in this LP were all exactly 2 higher than the ones listed on the wiki, Body notwithstanding.

So I tried a bunch of different things to see what caused the difference, and here's what I ended up finding: For whatever reason, every time I save and then reload my game in the area the companion is in, all of their stats except for Body increase up until they hit the max allowed by the Karma screen. This only seems to work before I pick them up, and while I didn't do any extensive testing, it also doesn't seem to work with a different character I have.

I have zero clue what exactly the interaction is, why it ignores the Body stat and why it only seems to happen with Amazon. Maybe the whole thing is somehow related to the fact that the game didn't originally support manual saving so something goes wrong there. But the thing I'm really wondering about is, do the stats of all NPCs increase the same way each time I save and reload but I just can't tell because their Body and thus hit points never go up? Since I save and reload a fair amount for LP purposes, am I going to end up fighting constant super soldiers without realizing it? :tinfoil:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Replay up to your current point on a new file, see if it keeps happening?

Like I said I haven't done any super extensive testing but trying it in the morgue with a new character didn't seem to affect Jake. From the couple of times I tried I couldn't duplicate it in the Pike Place Market with the other character I have either.

Restarting and getting pack to the point we're at is no big deal so I'll probably end up doing that just in case anyway, but it sure is a bizarre thing.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

IBlameRoadSuess posted:

Interesting to see the capabilities of a rigging decker. When I played I mained regular decking and shotgun/pistol combat. Interesting to see how easily the rigs can replace the fact that we can't hit poo poo.

It's kind of funny, a Decker dipping into rigging is real good but a Rigger dipping into decking is actually pretty suboptimal, at least for a sizeable chunk of the game. I'll cover that in the next update.

E: Ignore that, I forgot how the video game I'm LPing works. For some reason I was thinking weapon slots were unlocked by total Karma amount, but it's one of the Ranged/Melee Combat skill passives. :downs:

New Wave Jose posted:

So no one is going to comment on the dildo on Coyote's bed?

Hah, I'm not gonna lie, I thought the same at first. Of course, there's one on the floor next to Amazon on the first floor screenshot as well but I figured maybe the Seamstresses Union was just that kinda place.

Alas, it's in the assets folder under the name "tenements_clutter_piecesoftrash05" so it's just some unfortunately shaped garbage. Zoomed in:

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 5, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 08 - A Night at the Market

I like these loading screen descriptions, they add good flavor without interrupting the actual gameplay.

In case you've already forgotten, our goal here is to find Coyote, the disappeared bartender. Her boyfriend Paco might be around too.

The immediate first thing we notice in the area is a couple of men shouting to the crowd outside one of the many large buildings.

Aaaand it's these bozos again. This is off to a promising start.

Ah geez. Guess it's best to just play along, these types don't take no for an answer.

That sounds GREAT! Tell me MORE!

WONDERFUL! The Universal Brotherhood is a family encompassing ALL metahumans, sexes, and sexualities. We all strive to be the very BEST we can, to live more fulfilled, happy, and productive lives, and to support each other doing so.

The FIRST step is to simply come and listen. Tomorrow night, Lynn Telestrian will be speaking about "The importance of Family in the Sixth World". Please join us tomorrow... and the secrets to a better life shall be revealed to you!

[He smiles, and turns back to the crowd.]

Yeah sure of course wouldn't miss it for the world. We'll definitely be there, present, in that thing about the stuff. See you again never you drat weirdo.

Moving on...

This sign is a real life landmark, although the giant monster skeleton unfortunately doesn't seem to exist. Also, Orks & Forks is a real good name for a grocery.

A little ways to the southwest, we find this young man.

Watch yourself, dandelion eater. What you want?

Whoa, hey, that's just uncalled for. We're more of a chicory kinda gal.

Careful, kid. You Paco?

What the - who the hell are you?

I'm the one who's going to pretend you have better manners. I need to find Coyote.

Every time I see a Paco in a video game, I'm reminded of this real dumb youtube video about Heavy Rain where everyone just says "Paco" over and over again. It's a curse I'll carry for the rest of my life.

And I need YOU to tell me why you think that's my problem. I'm not her boss. Find her yourself.

You literally just said you were looking for her yourself, come on.

I was just at the Union. She's missed two shifts, and Mrs. Kubota hasn't been able to reach her on her comm.

Coyote's missing? Oh man. That would explain... She was supposed to meet me here over an hour ago. Look, sorry for getting in your face like that. What else do you know? If she's missing, I need to find her.

Ever heard of a place called Maury's Meat Market? Coyote had a receipt for some zebra meat from there.

What, you been rummaging through her stuff? Yeah, that shop's just down the block. What the hell she would need zebra meat for, though... beats me.

What about a fixer named Mr. Delilah? She had a meeting with him a few days ago.

I know of him, sure. Blake doesn't allow any Cutters to take side gigs though, so I got no reason to deal with him. Coyote hasn't said anything about taking new work... wait a minute... drek! I know where she went. drat, why couldn't she wait. drat it!

Paco, slow down. Where did she go?

The Royale Apartments. The landlord, Stevie J, runs a drug ring outta that hellhole. Coyote grew up there... doesn't like to talk about it much. She's been looking for a way to settle the score with that guy for years.

I wish various hellholes weren't so rapidly starting to become our primary travel destination. I'd be perfectly willing to settle for a few places that were just "kinda crummy".

I'll help you get Coyote back, but you'd better be able to handle yourself in a fight. Things might get ugly.

Of course I know my way around a fight. Stevie J better be ready for a world of hurt.

[Paco curls his hand into a fist.]

Now let's get moving - the Royale is just a few blocks from here.

Great, I hate having to always take the bus to my local den of murderous junkies.

Paco joins the party, so let's take a look at what he's bringing.

The one thing that immediately stands out is his insanely high Charisma, apparently this guy radiates an aura of pure sex or something. I don't really see it, personally.

Beyond that he's a fairly decent shot and while that's pretty much it, it's also pretty much all we need right now.

Equipment-wise there's the classic bat and the Uzi III which is one step above the Beretta Model 70. There's no real reason to use the former, but all video game gang members seem to be legally required to carry a baseball bat at all times so who am I to argue.

By the way, around here I noticed I had been hit by a weird bug which led to inflated companion stats. Paco here for example had 4 extra in everything except for Body. Turns out Jake had been affected by this too, which explains why he was so strong compared to Amazon.

As a result I started over from the beginning, and also shuffled our Karma around a bit in order to show off what really makes our drone friends shine:

4 points in Drone Control allows us to equip two drones at the same time, practically doubling our available firepower. While activating both ends up with Amazon having 0 AP (for now), it's still well worth the tradeoff and we can always turn them off to heal or move if necessary.

The one caveat here is that as a Decker we'll need one equipment slot for a cyberdeck, so we're forced to burn some Karma on either Ranged Combat or Melee Combat as three points in either unlocks the third weapon slot. We'll go with Ranged Combat because screw melee.

Following a smaller street to the northeast, we eventually come across the aforementioned meat shop.

[As soon as he notices Paco, the proprietor's eyes become hard and angry.]

What do you want? You know we can't afford any more!

Relax, man. My friend just has a question.

Everything cool here?

Yeah... everything's swell.

[He continues to stare daggers in Paco's direction.]

The name's Manny. Now what do you want?

What's your problem with Paco?

Why don't you ask him.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

It means that your gang likes to stroll through here and relieve us merchants of our nuyen. My dad stood up to them... and he's still in the hospital.

Guess that explains why we're not talking to Maury himself.

Look, that's not my problem. I'm at the bottom of the Cutter ranks anyway - I couldn't do drek about that even if I wanted to.

Tell that to my dad.

I don't have time for this. We need to find Coyote.

We will, in a minute. Manny, what would someone want to buy zebra meat for?

Some people eat it... but I wouldn't recommend that. Tough as nails. We mostly sell it to corp security teams who use it to reward their Hellhounds. The flamers go crazy for the stuff for some reason.

Okay, I can see where this is going already.

Whatever. Anything else?

I have this receipt for an order of zebra meat. You still have it?

I'll look it up... Yeah, got it right here. Two days past the pickup time, didn't think anyone was going to come for it. Here - it's all yours now.

Lovely.

Thanks, we'll be leaving now.

A little further down the street, we suddenly spot the flashing of police lights and a sizeable crowd surrounding a small fenced-off area.

Oof, now that's just plain unpleasant.

Wait, what? You can't be serious.

Paco, breathe. Now take a closer look. Is that her?

[Paco steps forward and breathes a huge sigh of relief.]

No... no. It's not her. Thank God.

Goddamnit Paco.

Look, let's not hang out here too long, alright? Too many Lone Star pigs around.

[Paco looks over at the victim again.]

It's too bad, whatever happened here... I'm not going to let anything like this happen to Coyote.

Dude, she's been missing for days already and you haven't done squat. Your big hero act is way behind schedule.

Despite Paco's suggestion to just move on (which we could actually do), this seems extremely relevant to our original murder investigation. Hopefully the cop standing there will let us through, I don't see a donut vendor nearby this time.

What happened here, officer?

Homicide. Now move along, please.

Hmm, maybe a name drop here will help.

I'm here to see Coroner Dresden.

And who might you be?

You know what John, you're alright. Still kinda weird, but it's starting to look like that's about the best one can hope for in this city.

[The officer looks at you with poorly-concealed skepticism.]

Okay then. Make it quick.

By the way, we could also try this Security etiquette choice here...

...but she just immediately asks for your SIN and badge, forcing Dresden to vouch for us anyway. Poor Landers, you deserved at least a proper portrait for showing some minimal competency.

We take a quick look at the body first.

How do you even gouge someone's eyes out "cleanly"?

That was a rhetorical question, by the way.

Coincidence, believe it or not. I take it I've stumbled across another Ripper murder?

Yeah, that's what it looks like. As you can see, the Ripper went for the eyes this time. Pretty clean work. I gotta hand it to him, our Ripper knows what he's doing. Or she, I suppose.

As before, there's a whole bunch of things we can inquire our dwarven buddy about.

I thought you ran the Redmond franchise. Isn't Pike Place a little far from home?

Yeah, well, I don't really mind the change of scenery.

[Dresden laughs.]

The coroner for the downtown branch is out on maternity, so I told management that I'd cover for her on this one. Plus, I want this sicko caught.

What do you know about the victim?

Can you tell if she was subdued in some way, before her eyes were removed?

That's the strange thing. There don't seem to be any signs of a struggle. Not a single bruise on her body. Yet, she was clearly alive when the eyes were taken... died of blood-loss shortly thereafter. As to what knocked her out, I won't know until I can run some tests back at the lab.

Well hopefully she was knocked out, having your eyes gouged out while you're fully aware of it the whole time ranks pretty drat high on the ol' nope nope list.

What about the bite marks on her arm?

Ah! Completely unrelated. It appears some wild dogs dragged the body out here from the alley, some time after her death.

Please don't play fetch with your dogs using eyeless corpses, people. It's highly unsanitary and overall just kind of uncool.

Any sign of magic use here? There was evidence of an unusual explosion in the alley where Sam died.

Now there's an interesting thought. No, nothing obvious though. I'm sure when McKlusky shows up he'll call in a full magical forensics team though, just to be sure.

So... the Ripper takes Sam Watt's liver, and this woman's eyes. Any theories?

Trophies of some sort, I suppose? Probably of some symbolic significance to the killer. Beyond that, I couldn't speculate.

That's enough questions. Thanks, Dresden.

There's also a completely new face here, overlooking the scene.

I take it you and McKlusky don't exactly see eye-to-eye?

Let's just say McKlusky and I have... conflicting interests.

What can you tell me about the murder that took place here?

Not much, really. We know it was about three hours ago, and we know that her eyes have been surgically removed. Didn't need Dresden to figure that much out. He's been looking at the body though, so he might have more. Me, I've been scanning the rest of the scene and looking for witnesses, but no luck so far. drat Ripper might as well be a ghost.

People sure seem to be forthcoming when it comes to what I assume should still be classified information. Not that I'm complaining.

Do you have any leads on this Ripper that I should know about?

Ha! Plenty, if you ask McKlusky. But the truth is, we're as clueless as you probably are.

Thanks for your time, Officer.

The Lonely Orphans Fund?

Yeah, see... you make a contribution to the fund, I put you on a list and let you know the next time we find any... orphans... that you might be interested in.

It's not often that you see police corruption work to the benefit of the player in a game but hey, I'm all for it.

Well, I'm always interested in finding out about any new... orphans... you discover.

Excellent! Shall we say, 300 nuyen?

Even 100 nuyen would make a big difference for an orphan, these days.

[He makes a face.] Yeah, well, some orphans have more expensive tastes than others. 200, you can take it or leave it.

Deal.

A lot of bartering going on lately. We give Aguirre the money and our commlink code, it can't hurt to have more info to work with.

Now, there's one last thing of note here.

Something's odd about this one elf, you can tell from the speech bubble above his head.

Who's asking?

[The elf giggles - a strange, high-pitched warble you would not expect to emerge from his misshapen face.]

Hmm, I can't quite place my finger on what exactly it is, but there's something subtly villainous about this guy.

Oh, I'm no one of consequence. Never mind that though. A good evening to you and your friend the coroner.

Oh okay, my mistake. The inconsequential elf runs off, surely never to be seen again.

We go back to Dresden one more time to see what he has to say about our new acquaintances.

Sergeant Aguirre over there seems pretty friendly. Can I trust him?

[He chuckles.] Yeah, that sounds about right. Any opportunity to get in McKlusky's way, he'll take it. A bit sleazy, sure, but I'd take Aguirre over McKlusky any day of the week.

That... didn't really answer our question, Dresden. Well, whatever. Seems like McKlusky being a huge pain in everyone's rear end is winning us some easy allies at least.

By the way, did you notice a particularly ugly elf standing over there in the crowd earlier?

Huh? Where? [Dresden scans the spectators surrounding the crime scene.]

He's gone now... but he was asking about the body. Wondering which Organ Grinders facility it will be taken to.

Interesting. Well... there's some who might be interested in purchasing some of her parts, sure, but that's pretty poor form to inquire at the site of a murder. An ugly elf, eh? I'll keep an eye out. Shouldn't be hard to spot if he comes back around.

Y'know, I appreciate that the game actually allows you to mention the hilariously suspicious guy to someone and they even listen to you to boot.

Thanks again, Dresden.

Anytime.

On our way to the apartments, we pass by the place the murder victim had been working in and overhear a conversation.

I take it you knew the victim?

Yeah, what's it to you?

My condolences. Were the two of you close?

If you just say that you want to ask him some questions here, he promptly tells you to gently caress off and won't talk to you again.

Thanks. Sorry, we're just not used to folks being too friendly around here.

[The ork wipes some tears away with a dirty napkin.]

Yeah... we were pretty close, as coworkers go. Blind Lucy and I worked here at the Shack for three years together. Started on the very same day.

"Blind Lucy"?

Well, Lucy wasn't completely blind... but she was legally blind. She had to wear these huge glasses and hold things right up to her face. But she got new eyes about a year ago.

Well it's like the say, easy come, easy go.

I see. Er, no pun intended.

[The ork looks up sharply - then lets out a sad laugh.]

Lucy loved the worst puns... that one was one of her favorites. I guess you can see why.

Haha yeah eye see what you did there. Getting blindsided and brutally murdered by having her eyes scooped out must've been one spectacle that she didn't see coming!

Any idea how she scored the new eyes?

No... she wouldn't talk much about it. Just called it her "stroke of good luck". I guess that luck ran out.

We ask a few more questions, but the only other new thing we learn is that Lucy had gone through an ugly breakup as a consequence of getting her new eyes. In fact, she had to file a restraining order against this ex because afterwards he wouldn't leave her be for some unknown reason.

We thank the man and turn to leave, but...

In my own way. Why do you ask?

Well... Lucy had a necklace. An intricate little carving of a dragonfly on it. Wore it everyday, said her mom gave it to her when she left Denver.

Sidequest instincts tingling!

Anyway, you know how Lone Star is. All of her stuff'll be bagged and placed in evidence storage until the Seventh World awakens. I just thought... Well, I just thought if I could somehow get that necklace back before Lone Star cleans everything up... I could send it back to her family. I feel like I owe her that much.

I dunno man, this update's running pretty long already and that's at least 15 seconds of backtracking.

Stealing evidence from a crime scene is a pretty serious offense. What's in it for me?

[He sighs.] I can throw 200 nuyen your way. It's all I can spare.

Fine, fine.

Alright, it's a deal.

Since it's not particularly interesting or relevant to the plot, I'll just give you the short version which is that Landers will stop you from just picking the necklace up. She'll happily take a 50 nuyen bribe though, or you can fool her with a claim that the necklace is a dangerous magical object with a Spirit Summoning check of 2. A Quickness check of 4 will allow you to just snatch it without anyone noticing.

Finally, you can straight up ask your good friend Aguirre to give it to you, which is what we do.

I like this guy already.

We bring the jewel back to the ork...

...and get the promised 200 nuyen alongside 1 Karma for our efforts.

The very last thing worth mentioning is that a junkie outside the Royale Apartments entrance will ask you for 5 nuyen. Refusing will get you in a fight with him and his buddy, but you don't gain anything at all from it so we don't bother.

Time to go see if Coyote's still in one piece. Well, next time.

Concept art - Renraku Arcology Skyline

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Today's update brought to you by

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4xI1gua748

TheMcD posted:

Wait, Paco has 8 Charisma? gently caress me. My elf mage with a major in Charisma had 8 Charisma after finishing the second to last part of the game! And Paco doesn't have any cool at all - he manages to keep the facade up for about a minute before it crumbles like a house of cards.

I bet that for his Etiquettes, he just picked Street four times.

Yeah the fact that he had 12 Charisma when 9 is the cap for humans was the first sign that something was maybe a little off in my original save. :v:

Iretep posted:

The real reason to take quickness over str when you want the 3rd weapon slot is quickness increases dodge while str raises nothing useful besides damage. Which leads to me to wonder why ever even do a melee build when its so point hungry for so littler return. Like later games actually make melee a bit more useful mechanically but thats for those times. Right now im pretty sure str is pure garbage.

Yup, unless you really want to throw lots of grenades Strength is practically a pure dump stat for most characters since there's no item weight mechanic either. I've never tried a pure melee character in Returns, though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

A point or two can be nice if you use grenades regularly, at least.

That's certainly true, I suppose "pure dump stat" is a slight exaggeration as the range increase to grenade throws from every point of Strength is pretty generous and they're basically useless with just 1.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Here's a bigger version if someone wants a new wallpaper or something, I dunno.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Vadoc posted:

There's a certain bit of background scenery in the game in this area I think that was a backer request from an old SR GM of mine, it's a black van with a red racing stripe and clothes on lines or racks around it. The origin story for what eventually got the group dubbed (by itself) the A-Team when one of the characters stole it. Though the guy was the one to add the stripe and spoiler.

I don't know if it matches your description exactly, but it's true that there is a large black vehicle next to the crime scene.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I'm enjoying this LP - it got me to buy Shadowrun Hong Kong which is now $5 on steam if anyone is interested.

Will I lose out on anything by playing that before the previous games?

Good to hear you're enjoying it. And $5 for Hong Kong is a steal, this game is a little tougher to come back to after playing the latter two but it doesn't really matter whether you play Dragonfall or Hong Kong first.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

GoneRampant posted:

I'd honestly recommend playing Returns first. Both for pragmatic (Playing in order means you appreciate the gameplay changes made and see steadily improving writing) and personal (This is a really good entry point into Shadowrun and makes getting into Dragonfall and Hong Kong a lot easier) reasons.

I tend to recommend giving Returns at least a shot first as well, but if you just want to jump in because of the sale on Hong Kong then I'd say go for it.

Also

Paco just disappeared from my group, so now Murphy is talking in his place. I'm starting to think I have talent for encountering bizarre bugs in this game.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Okay, from what I can tell, the stat-increasing bug is still in effect and remains in effect even after a fresh install. And like I thought, it seems to apply to all NPCs because my hit chances are abysmally low even by Very Hard standards.

I'm starting to think that saving and loading is just fundamentally messed up in base Returns, but just to make sure, I'd appreciate if someone with the game could see if they can cause the same thing to happen. Just make a character, get to the initial flashback, and quicksave and quickload several times over (as in save -> load -> save -> load -> save etc.) before talking to New Larry and initiating the first combat. Then see if Sangoma's and Sam's stats look something like this

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 09:40 on May 8, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Oh poo poo, I think I've figured out what's going on. When I tried to do the above save/load business on Very Hard, every load increased Sam and Sangoma's stats by 2. Out of curiosity, I tried doing the same on Hard and noticed the same thing happened except their stats increased by 1. On Normal and Easy, there seemed to be no difference.

So what it looks like is that Hard and Very Hard are applying a flat +1 and +2 modifier respectively to all NPC non-Body stats but for some reason it only happens when you load your game, re-applying and stacking every time you do it.

Now here's the real funny part, I started up Dragonfall: Director's Cut where your companions also start off as NPCs on the first screen. I started a game first on Normal and then on Very Hard.

Dietrich's stats upon starting on Normal:

And upon starting on Very Hard:

Flat +2 boost to everything including skills and +1 to Body, which I assume is what all your enemies get on that difficulty in Dragonfall. Now while this is still clearly hosed, fortunately the load/save issue doesn't seem to exist and I know for a fact that I played through the game on Hard without ever noticing anything weird and without my characters' stats ballooning to insane levels.

Unless this is some weird local issue only applying to my games, this seems like a pretty major bug.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 10:46 on May 12, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

So, time to play on Normal? Or to Ironman this poo poo?

I mean, I'll probably have to switch to Normal unless someone can figure out how to fix this. I've mentioned it before but I have to do quite a bit more saving and reloading than usual for LP purposes and while it might otherwise make for a funny challenge, I'm not going to deal with having sub-50% hit chances on nearly everything. If I want to play a game where I miss almost every shot, I can just load up XCOM.

Although now that I think about it, there was that way to play DMS on the Dragonfall system which might mean I'd only get the "lighter" and more easily avoidable version of the bug from DF. Not sure what I'll do.

Either way I'm just glad that there seems to be some way to avoid the issue. When I first noticed the same thing happening again, I was pretty worried I'd have to drop this whole LP because of it.

GunnerJ posted:

This is crazy. I never noticed anything like this when I played, which was a while ago. Could it be a bug introduced since then by a patch?

Hard to say, the pre-Dragonfall version of Returns only had autosaves so even if the issue was around back then already, it would've been far less obvious. I can't find any mention of this bug anywhere, so the idea that it might've existed all this time is kind of nuts.

Poil posted:

So the game applies the difficulty bonus when you load but it also saves the enemies stats when you save, and that's why it keeps on stacking as the game keep reapplying the bonus over and over through every save/load cycle?

I'm no coder but that's what it looks like to me, except that it includes all NPCs including companions not in your party. I don't think the stat increases apply at all unless you do load your game though, so maybe difficulty level has no effect whatsoever until you do that in a given area? Or maybe there's some other passive effect to accuracy or whatever that only applies in combat? I dunno.

For what it's worth, Hong Kong doesn't seem to be affected by this.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Just wanted to say your lp got me interested in looking at these games and they've been real fun!

On the bug talk, the only one I saw of note was hilarious and of a similar vein. Instead of a reload overriting all npc stats, it overwrote my character's info with that of a dead npc.

Good to hear it, getting even a few people to discover these cool games means this whole thing isn't just a terrible waste of everyone's time. :v:

The only major bug I remember encountering across the games up until now is the fact that in Hong Kong the Rigger companion's skills which allow them to buff their drone don't seem to work properly, making that character a fair bit weaker than they're supposed to be. Other than that it's been mostly minor and avoidable stuff here and there. A little extra polish and fixing wouldn't have hurt the games any, but this stat accumulation thing is the only actually gamebreaking thing I've seen personally.

One of the funnier minor glitches I did come across was also in HK where a combat situation didn't end properly, meaning in the following scene where the characters were supposed to walk away from the area in a group, I instead had to watch them all individually trod their way to the door in turn-based mode.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

TildeATH posted:

Is the difficulty level something you can change in game?

Because then you have the (somewhat hassle-y) solution of switching it to normal when saving and then switching it back to Very Hard after loading.

No, you can change it at any time but you have to do it from the main menu which as you say is simply too much of a hassle. I'll probably just play on Normal, it's not like it'll make that much of a difference as far as this LP is concerned.

I'd still like a confirmation from someone that they can reproduce the bug though, just in case. Starting Dragonfall: Director's Cut on Very Hard and checking Dietrich's stats would probably be enough as well.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Can confirm Dietrich's stats match up with what you've seen on my end.

Thanks, I figured as much. Guess I (or someone) should mention this on the forums or reddit or something, people ought to know about it.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

No need to cast any votes, we'll do the rest on Normal as it's not like this is some video LP of an action game where the difficulty plays a big role anyway. This has delayed things a little bit, but we should get back on track soon enough.

But hey, if you do feel like making a difference when it comes to the real important issues, new drone names are accepted for as long as we get new drones. I'll just add them to the pool and pull one out at random when necessary.

Here's the current pool:

Drone
FYAD
GBS 3.0
Jade Rabbit
Prime

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I've never understood this perspective. If you don't want to save-scum, just don't. I don't save-scum, but I do appreciate being able to just stop playing at any time without losing any progress. Why do you need the game to force you to do something that you want to do anyway?

I can understand the general sentiment as some people just really dislike having to purposefully hold themselves back from using "unfair" advantages in games, but I don't think these games are necessarily ones where a system that limits your saving really works that well.

Some games like Alien: Isolation and Dark Souls benefit from it as the risk of losing progress definitely makes it feel like the stakes are higher and your decisions have more weight to them, though I think all such games should at least have the latter's system where quitting out of the game still lets you continue from where you left off once you come back.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

This is a politics-free LP, no reason to deal with more than one dark dystopic future at a time.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 09 - Ten Ways to Move Up in the World

This place has seen better days. Or maybe this is just how they design their apartment buildings in Seattle, I've never been.

Incidentally, the couch over in the corner there has a bad case of reference infestation.

A hellhole full of junkies. Looks like Stevie-J's gets their rent money AND their drug money.

If Coyote's here, we have to hurry. She's good but... well... these BTL guys pay to stay well informed. They may have known she was coming.

Soon after we enter, one of the female residents beckons us to talk with her.

You look like you could use a break. All you need is a few nuyen for a Better-Than-Life chip, right?

Yes, yes! I just need another BTL to get through the day. Something pretty. Something... soft...

Sure, I get it. Have you seen a woman come through here today? Armed and looking for trouble? Maybe I can cred you.

And saying "you" doesn't count, that'd be cheating.

Yes... no! Hell, what do you want me to say? I'll tell you anything. Everything... Pleeaaase?

[She drops to her knees, pleading.]

Ah, man.

I'm sorry, but I can't help you. You should leave this place if you can.

Well that was depressing. Moving a little further in, we see an old but more lucid-looking man eyeing us and mumbling something to himself.

You have quite the vantage point here. Bet you don't miss much. Seen anything special today?

Yeah, everything in this body has gone to rust, 'cept my eyes and ears. Bit of a commotion upstairs, earlier. Stevie's men are twitchy. This young thing came through earlier, snooping around like you two are. I could tell she weren't here for BTLs. Don't know how she got upstairs... but there was a lot more gunfire than there usually is this time of day.

I hate it when my neighbors exceed the standard amount of daily gunfire, no respect at all for their fellow tenants.

That's not good. Did you see her come back down again?

Nope. Couple of Stevie's men came round, asking what anyone saw. Kept my mouth shut, I did.

Where's Stevie holed up?

He's got the whole top floor all to himself. Fancies he's the king around here.

Figures, it's always the top floor or the dungeon's deepest chamber or whichever place is the biggest pain in the rear end to get to.

Sounds like Coyote's run went sideways for her.

Hey old man, you know how to get upstairs?

You've been right friendly... but I can't get on the wrong side of Stevie J. I'm sure you understand.

There are actually quite a few different ways to gain access to the upper floors. Here are our first two, either threatening to snap the old man's bones with a Strength check of 4 or guilt tripping him with a Charisma check of 4, which we happen to have.

Look, we're here to save her. Do you really want that girl's fate on your conscience?

Easy enough.

Alternatively, walking past the old man leads us to an old dresser concealing a small hole in the wall. He'll tell you to stop snooping around but won't actually do anything.

Moving the dresser out of the way (no check involved) and looking through the hole reveals the stairs and presents us with the third method, namely sending a drone through the hole. This obviously requires that you have one with you.

The fourth method and my personal favorite is also related to this spot: With a point in Spirit Summoning, you can see a summon spot on the other side of the hole. Using it summons a spooky spirit to scare the hell out of the resident on the other side of the door, causing her to rush out.

The fifth method is to talk to the old man after having seen the stairs through the hole. This allows for an easier Charisma check of 3 which has you tell him that such a clever man should be working at a corporation instead of being here.

Having said all that, there's still more to be done on the first floor so we won't be taking the stairs just yet.

Going further in, we come across two men having some kind of a disagreement.

The thuggish man lands a hard punch on the pleading guy. 4 damage, in case you were curious.

Get your rear end back in your squat before I break something else. I'll send him upstairs instead. You want me to give him to Stevie? Maybe after he kills that girl we caught...

You pig! Give Zipper back now or...

Who the hell names their son "Zipper"? Or "Symp" for that matter?

...or you'll bleed on me? Zipper's gone. Get yourself a new kid.

[He covers his face with his hands.] Oh God, no. Please no.

This place is really something else. Ryker walks off to a room in the south while Symp stumbles to the apartment in the north.

We follow him in, maybe he'll tell us what's going on.

What was that all about?

Why do you care? ...it... it's my son. That bastard took my son!

Who took your son?

One of Stevie J's goons, Ryker. He runs that filthy BTL squat across the hall. My son, Zipper... he's not a strong boy. And Ryker knows it. Lured him in with those drat chips. "Better Than Life"? HA! What life?!?

"HA! What life?!?" happens to be our motto over at Death and Bleach, it works on multiple levels and everything. Did I mention that we're pretty cool?

And now they're TORTURING him in there!

Why would they do that?

He's being literal by the way, a Simsense recording allows one to fully experience something from the standpoint of the person who was originally recorded as if they were really there, sharing all of their sensations. Amazing for porn and what have you, and the ones in commercial use have limiters in place to make them safe to use and to stop them from being dangerously intense.

Of course when the aforementioned person is being tortured to death instead and we're talking illegal recordings with no such limiters or other safety measures, well...

That must be Coyote. They've got her up there!

Keep it together Paco. She's still alive. Stay frosty.

Yeah. Yeah, you're right. I'll be okay.

What about MY SON?!

I'll see if I can save your son while we're saving our friend.

Thank-you, thank-you.

First things first though, we find and liberate some Jazz (the drug, not a music CD) from a shelf inside the apartment.

While Kamikaze and Nitro are decent but not particularly amazing, Jazz is arguably the best item in the game. The Quickness boost is already pretty nice but +1 AP for five full rounds with no drawback is an incredibly powerful effect in a game where you'll usually have 2 or 3 AP total.

Back to the hallway.

The elevator here is our other and more obvious route upwards. If you've ever played Final Fantasy VII you know the deal, the stairs are the quiet way and the elevator's the loud way. This thing's locked with a keypad however, and it also comes with an intercom.

The sixth way to get upstairs is simply to use the intercom here and say that you're coming to gently caress everybody's poo poo up.

This'll bring both the elevator and an angry guy down to the ground floor, leading to a fight against him and Ryker. We however head back and through the door Ryker went through earlier.

There we come across a computer set of some kind, but Ryker stops us from fiddling with it.

Behind him is where his "customers" hang out, deep in their brain-frying escapism. And we're not talking World of Warcraft here.

[A scream echoes through the pipes of the rotten walls. Hard to tell where it came from.]

What was that sound?

[He smiles with his mouth but his eyes say "predator".] Who knows? Could be anything. Probably someone riding the wrong end of a Yakuza execution BTL. We get all kinds. I can hook you up, if you're interested.

Once again we have several different options pertaining to both getting access to the elevator and rescuing Zipper. The seventh and eighth ways to get upstairs are available with an Intelligence check of 3 or the Street etiquette (they give identical options), and involve either telling him that you're going to kill Stevie-J but promising to let Ryker himself live in exchange for the elevator code and Zipper...

...or alternatively tricking him by pretending that you want to get in with Stevie-J and offering to deliver a BTL to him. This lets you deceive the person on the other side of the elevator intercom by acting as a delivery person.

We'll take a different approach though.

I heard you're in the middle of a recording session...

Sure am. My gear is state of the art if you can believe it.

Charisma check of 3 here.

I'm looking for something very... special. Something... violent.

Look around... clearly, I'm not going to be offended by ANY idea you can come up with.

I want to kill someone... and record it.

[The thug looks like he's thinking hard for a moment.]

Wow, you're one sick bastard. I like it. Perfect timing too, I could use a trigger man for a little project I've got going. Come with me!

Show me the way.

Ryker walks on ahead to the recording room, which gives us the opportunity to take a look at the computer.

Here's yet another way to progress, a Decking check to access the elevator controls which also includes the passcode. The Recording Studio option allows you to reboot the studio software to reach Zipper in case you couldn't fool Ryker, or to download the BTL currently being recorded with a Decking check of 2 which again lets you deceive the intercom guy by telling him you're delivering it to Stevie-J.

Finally, the BTL library option allows you to change the BTL the junkies in the adjacent room are experiencing, either to "Happy"

"Sad"

Or "Violent" which causes them all to take some damage.

Anyhow, let's not be late from our recording session.

The final way to get hold of the BLT recording is to simply grab it from the machine on the wall next to Zipper.

This lady here has... exotic tastes. She wants to help us out and is willing to pay for the privilege. That, and a copy of the recording.

Well... as long as Mr. J gets what he needs, I see no reason we can't make a little extra at the same time.

I should've known The Joker is up to his old tricks again.

I think young Zipper here is just about spent. Now... just give me a moment to hook up a recording rig to our friend here and she'll have quite the BTL for her personal collection.

Alright, this has gone on long enough.

Y'know what would make a great BTL?

What?

What I'm gonna do to you.

:boom:

(This isn't even a real fight and we're almost at the end of this part, but it's been a while since the last combat theme so I'll throw it in here anyway.)

I usually go for the diplomatic non-combat method when given the choice, which in this case would've been making a deal with Ryker, but gently caress these people. Our double drones combined with the fact that Tickler is pretty much a non-combatant with 10 HP practically makes this fight a 3v1 so there's little for me to cover.

In fact, not even Paco gets the chance to act because Hello World and Murphy instantly wipe the floor with these assfaces.

Observe our beautiful babies in action:

They grow up so fast.

You got lucky today, kid. If I were you, I'd play it safe from now on. You don't get lucky twice.

Oof. I don't think I can move... can you at least tell my dad?

We do so, informing Symp that Zipper is alive but pretty messed up.

The grateful man runs off to reunite with his son. He doesn't even pretend to consider giving us a reward of any kind, but I guess we never thought to ask for one either.

Of course we also have our own reunion to attend, and so we head for the stairs behind the old man's apartment. Hopefully we'll finally get to meet this elusive Coyote person, next time.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 10, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Dying for a sandwich? I know that feeling.

Haha, I left that there on purpose to see how long it'd take for someone to catch it.

(No I didn't, stupid fictional abbreviations. Fixed)

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 08:07 on May 10, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Xander77 posted:

You've mentioned that you don't pay much attention to misplaced custom avatars, but I really feel like the non-combatant bereaved father could have had the wicked-cool katana handle removed from his portrait.

Well, I said I wouldn't specifically point out backer portraits in general. I don't think they feel out of place very often though, I'd imagine the character concepts were mostly figured out before they did the art for them. Plus it was up to the devs to decide where the backer portraits would go and what exact shape they'd take.

But I agree, for whatever reason Symp's portrait stands out as more ill-fitting than most.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

It's more evident in Dragonfall and Hong Kong, but I think they overall did a good job giving personality to the player character despite them being a completely blank slate. While it obviously depends on what you pick, I find that many of the best lines in these games are spoken by the PC. Heck, just shooting poo poo with your childhood buddy between missions in Hong Kong is one of my favorite parts in the whole series because of how natural they manage to make it sound.

Fallout New Vegas is another game which left me with the same impression, with the Courier feeling like a character of their own instead of being just a dialogue robot.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Slaan posted:

You liked that guy? I hated him and never took him on missions.

Sure, I like almost all of the companions from both of the games. Of course it helped that he was one of the most useful ones in combat.

Also apropos of nothing, but I forgot to point out something in the previous update. Namely that this part here

Kanfy posted:

The seventh and eighth ways to get upstairs are available with an Intelligence check of 3 or the Street etiquette (they give identical options)

is to my knowledge the only instance where the Street etiquette comes up in the entire campaign. Street is not a very good etiquette.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 10 - Painting the Penthouse

We emerge into a small hallway towards the back of the penthouse. Had we taken the elevator we could've chatted with Tranq (one of Stevie's thugs) about the hellhounds and whatnot, but with this approach we're in combat mode from the word go. Of course, we weren't gunning for a diplomatic victory anyway.

Sounds like our goal is just behind this wall.

Tranq is the first person we come across here as well.

Murphy attempts to infiltrate the enemy ranks disguised as a Roomba, but the man doesn't fall for it. Maybe it was the guns that tipped him off.

"oh my god did you just kill that person"

"nah don't worry man i just shot a tranq"

The path to where the voice came from is blocked by Stevie's infamous hellhounds and the remains of their past meals. Can you imagine the smell in this place?

These things are actually pretty dangerous as they have the ability to spit area damage fireballs and will happily do so even through the bars.

Fortunately, we've come prepared and toss them something else to satisfy their hunger with.

If you tell a hellhound that they're a good boy, will it feel happy or offended? These are the questions that keep me up at night.

With the chtonian creatures pacified, we very carefully proceed into the cage and open the door on the other side.

Within we find two women. One of them looks like the victim of torture and the other has a shotgun, so it doesn't take long to figure out which one to open fire on.

Murphy shows off to his canine buddies.

Ouch. I think we're gonna be facial scar buddies.

Are you alright?

No time to talk.

[Coyote kneels and picks up the fallen guard's shotgun.]

It's time to finish this.

At least she's got the right attitude.

Coyote joins the party, and our mission now is to wipe out everyone on the floor while keeping her and Paco alive.

Stat-wise she's almost identical to Paco (+1 ST & -1 QU compared to him) minus his bizarre Charisma, but her skills leave something to be desired. Of course an extra body is always an extra body, and she does have 2 armor which makes her slightly tougher than her boyfriend.

The shotgun she picked up is the same one used by Sam in the initial flashback fight. It's actually slightly weaker than the lowest-tier Street Sweeper, but it does have twice the ammo capacity.

Heading back to the previous room and passing through the doorway to the southwest leads us to the big man himself, alongside a couple more gang members. Either the soundproofing here is extraordinary or people getting shot really is an everyday occurrence, but either way they've remained oblivious to our presence until now.

I know who you are. You're the guy I'm gonna kill.

Hell yeah.

I didn't know it was possible to channel pure anger to power up shotgun shells until now. Those are some scary eyes.

Stevie rushes to grab an assault rifle from the closet while the not-yet-blasted-to-hell gang member boosts his accuracy. Of course this leaves him in a rather precarious position in the middle of the room next to a pair of killerbots.

Meanwhile a dwarf who must've finally heard the commotion rushes in from the hallway.

Hello World attempts to show off its concussion grenade capabilities, but whiffs a 90% shot on Stevie. The newcomer finds himself stunned by such blatant disregard of probabilities.

You should always geek the mage first, but Thistle here has to settle for second place.

Also I kind of love how hilariously excessive the amount of blood flying from hits is in these games. The hit sound is also very satisfying, though you'll just have to take my word on that one.

Murphy lands a couple of solid shots on Stevie, but Coyote has no such luck. Since we've now switched to Normal due to Very Hard being bugged, everyone's hit rates are overall quite high, even at low skill levels - this was a miss at 75% hit chance.

He returns the favor with a grenade of the ordinary kind but really, at this point the fight is practically over.

In case you were wondering where Amazon is while all of this is happening, she hasn't moved an inch since we found Coyote because she has no AP to move with. Plus there are fewer bullets flying around back there. Drones - all the joys of murdering with none of the risks!

It seems only fair to let Coyote finish him off.

Good riddance.

Paco runs out of ammo trying to take out the last person still standing, so he opts to lightly bop him on the head instead.

Yeah, you're welcome.

Right now, I'm the lady who's saving your rear end.

I can see that. And... I appreciate it.

Coyote, we need to get you back to the Union. Mrs. Kubota has that med-lab in the basement...

Right, the standard issue medical laboratory you can find in every half-decent drinking hole.

Delilah? I thought you said you'd never do another deal with that man.

Look... Paco... I needed an excuse to come back here and settle some debts. Figured... figured I might as well get paid for it.

[Her voice is strong still, but her body's beginning to shake.]

Look lady, we're not gonna have you bleed out after all this trouble as we're a little short on leads without you.

We have the option to hightail it out of here right now, but maybe we could get a cut from the gem job...

Paco, help her back to the Union. I'll find those gems for you, then meet you there.

[Coyote looks as though she's about to argue... but says nothing.]

Come on Coyote... let's go.

And go they do, leaving us alone with a couple of happy hellhounds, a pair of locked doors and our ever-faithful drone friends.

Speaking of locked doors...

This'll probably do the trick. First we check out the door to the north, opposite of the hellhound cage.

It turns out to be a storage room. Rummaging through it, we eventually end up with about a hundred nuyen and an Advanced Medkit, but no gems.

Can't complain about free stuff.

Time for door number 2!

Uh

No! Bad dog! Sit!

Down!

Bah, now we've gone and bled all over our stylish shirt. These things had better be worth it.

Time to leave this place behind for good, and no reason to take the stairs this time. Hopefully we'll manage to get some actual answers about what exactly went down the night Sam died, next time.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 12, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Finding that hellhound guarding the gems as a weak fledgling mage on Very Hard was not fun, let me tell you. I was entirely gambling on like four ~50% hit rate attacks all hitting, and somehow they actually did.

The worst thing about that stupid dog was the fact that it ran to the worst possible spot as far as taking good screenshots is concerned.

I wasn't about to to give it the satisfaction of reloading my game because of it, though.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Sorry, this isn't an update yet as I've been a tad busy and fell ill on top of that, I'm just here to mention that a collection of all three Shadowrun games is 80% off over at Humble store.

Can get them separately too.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

If you put a gun to my head and ordered me to pick the better one I'd probably say Dragonfall primarily due to its stronger main plot, but they're very close to each other for me.

Everyone interested in Shadowrun oughta play both, regardless.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

The actual best Dragonfall companion is Lucky Strike and her not being a proper crew member is the only thing holding her back from being a no-brainer addition to every mission especially early on.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 16, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Also, Blitz is worth it just for his trust mission.

And that one's worth doing just for his theme, it's amongst my favorite ambient tracks in the series.

FoolyCharged posted:

I really hope this lp gets to that one. Iys great

I'd like to get to it eventually too but I'll admit it's also a tad intimidating, there's a whole lot of game there and Returns is already a fair amount of work despite not being super long. I wonder how many updates DF would take in total.

I only recently noticed that there had been an LP attempt for it at one point but it doesn't look like it got very far, mostly due to all the text.

Anyway, I'm still kinda sick but I'll try to have an update up soon, tomorrow at the latest. Hope y'all like dialogue, coz we'll mostly be flapping gums for a while.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Seeing as I've apparently been afflicted by some kind of a concentration-sapping permaplague, I decided to cut this update in half. The second half's mostly done already but I don't want to end up using a rushed version I haven't looked over properly.

It would've been pretty long and dialogue-heavy so this probably works better anyway.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 11a - Meeting the Locals

Moooom, we're home!

I'm sorry, Mrs. Kubota. I had a run that went... bad.

So ka! I can see that, your arm is a mess. Was this your crusade again? Do not answer. It will only upset me further. You caused me to worry about you, Coyote, and that distracted me from my business.

Hai, Mrs. Kubota. My apologies again.

Cherry, take her downstairs to Dr. Castle.

Yes, ma'am.

And tell Castle to put something new and shiny where that arm used to be.

Mrs. Kubota, I can't afford a cyberarm...

I am aware of your financial situation. When you are healed, we will discuss the concept of "giri" - the debt of honor. Now go. Bleed elsewhere.

Yes, ma'am.

Coyote and Cherry Bomb walk off.

She rewards us with 1,000 nuyen, not too shabby at all.

I am honored, Mrs. Kubota. Thank you.

You are most welcome. And I offer more than simple lodging. You will find that there is more to the Union than meets the eye.

Well, that's not exactly what they say. Dropping most of the slang in the later games, even if it was due to the change of location, wasn't a huge loss.

This place is a safe house too?

Indeed. Normally, I require a percentage of the runner's income for the use of this facility but as I said, you are family now. Consider it on the house. To gain entrance, play G-A-F-F-C on the piano.

After this we can ask her a few more questions.

Is Mr. Delilah here tonight?

Yes, he's in the back bar. That's usually where he does business.

You mentioned Coyote's crusade. What is it?

With weapon skills that low, I'm surprised it took this long for something to go wrong.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you get involved in all this?

I'm a former runner. Now, I provide a safe haven and a marketplace for runners who need a trustworthy place to congregate and do business.

Are any Johnsons or Fixers here tonight?

(Mr./Mrs.) Johnson is a common pseudonym used by corporate employers who hire Shadowrunners. The exact moniker used varies depending on which part of the world you're in.

In addition to Mr. Delilah, you may wish to speak to Van Graas. He is often stage-side. Van Graas is most often a 'receiver of found articles' but he occasionally has work.

Thank you, I'll be going now.

Sure enough, we find the man short ways away.

Mrs. Kubota said you're a Fixer.

[He still hasn't looked at you. He's going a mile a minute.] Nothing for you tonight. Sorry. I'm doing a thing right now. Important thing. Talk to you later.

We do have those gems from earlier, but just selling them off probably wouldn't please this Delilah guy who asked Coyote to steal them in the first place.

Back in the back, Johnny just repeats what Kubota said about the piano (which is right next to him) so we'll chat with Kluwe instead.

Paco and I tracked her down.

Always wondered what she saw in him, but I guess he ain't all bad. I'm just glad she's back, couldn't stomach losing anyone else so soon after what happened to Sam.

I'm pretty sure that with a CH of 8 all he needs to do is keep picking the Charisma checks in their conversations and they'll be together forever.

You're just a big old sheepdog, aren't ya?

Not the comparison made of most trolls, but I'm happy to defy expectations.

Mind if I ask you a few questions?

Haven't minded so far.

Let's hope it stays that way, anyone who doesn't enjoy answering random questions will probably get sick of us real fast.

You hear anything else about Sam's death?

People are saying it was the Ripper. But people say a lot of things about what they don't know, or what they don't understand.

How long have you been working for Mrs. Kubota?

I crawled in here after I gobli... after I Awoke. Mrs. Kubota took me in and gave me a job. I've been here ever since.

He was going to say "goblinized" which is the term used for people who turned into orks and trolls back in '21.

Do you have to pay extra for a manicure on hands that big?

Sounds extremely unhygienic.

I should be going.

Catch you round.

Afterwards we take a look at the piano.

We can inspect it further:

We can play "Chopsticks" on it:

Screw you janitor guy. Finally, we can play the notes Kubota told us about :

G-A-F-F-C is apparently a reference to the film 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind'.

Down we go.

(For whatever reason, this track is not present in the official soundtrack at all. It also sounds a bit like a callback to some older track, but I'm not sure which one.)

Talking to Dr. Castle there is our primary objective, but let's look around first.

The northern part of the safe house is our local shopping center. The man behind the counter is Eric the outfit merchant we met earlier, but the other three are new acquaintances.

Let's start from the left.

Finally, someone who speaks our language. Upon request David can provide us with a bunch of poorly-concealed tutorials about decking, but let's just take a look at what he's selling.

The first cyberdecks :toot: Took a while, but then we haven't had any use for one up to this point anyway. Having one is required for entering the Matrix and it takes up one weapon slot. Higher Decking skill allows the equipping of better decks.

There's no real reason to ever buy the CTY-360 unless you're just lightly dabbling in decking and simply don't have the skill for the Kraftwerk-1. Going from 2 AP to 3 AP is worth the extra ¥250 by itself.

Combat in the Matrix is almost identical to normal combat, and Expert System Programs or ESPs act as temporary companions which the decker can summon using these "items". They're not very strong, especially without investment in the ESP Control skill, but they do automatically replenish between missions.

They're more of a luxury purchase than a necessity so we won't get any at least for now.

Last but certainly not least we have a truckload of different programs, which is Matrix language for "spells". They're dirt cheap, so there's no reason for us not to buy as many as we can equip.

Our final haul ends up being the Renraku Kraftwerk-1 deck together with the Blaster, Killer, Medic and Sniffer programs.

Oh I'm being rude, let me also introduce you to our resident decker and my good friend Johnny Clean.

I don't know about heat or invisibility, but teleportation certainly does seem to be on his list of superpowers.

Good to see you down here, happy to be of help if I can be.

We could ask him about decking and he'd give us a brief tutorial as well but we'll cover that when we get there.

Why are you dressed as a janitor?

Did I stand out upstairs? No. Janitors never do. When I was younger, I had a rep for getting in and getting out of systems so cleanly that no one knew I was there. Half the Matrix runs that earned me my rep were made possible because I was able to get inside the facility posing as a janitor. Now it's just sort of a part of me.

Is it true that you were part of the Echo Mirage team?

This question comes a little out of nowhere, huh?

The short version of the Echo Mirage is that they were a badass squad of deckers (amongst the first on that field) trained by the US government. Together with an AI they eventually stopped an immensely destructive computer virus around 2030, but they were so good at bypassing security systems that the same government wanted them dead afterwards.

Let me take this one. Listen, I've known the guy for over a decade and he's been smart enough not to tell me. So he is sure as hell not going to tell you anything about those days. For your health and his, best to let the subject drop.

Fair enough. See you guys around.

Moving on to the next fella.

[When he speaks, the ork's voice is soft and thoughtful, and he talks almost exclusively in numbers: calibers, ranges, rounds per second, arc of fire, razoring factor, tensile strength and, of course, price.]

I'd be real careful with my words too if I were him, you don't get to bite your tongue by accident more than once with fangs like that.

Bunker Buster Gruberman, at your service. Friends call me Buster. I also answer to Sergeant, Sir, and even Theodore on occasion. Anytime you're in the market for firearms, ammunition, or ordinance, I'm your man. How can I help you?

What exactly do you sell here?

Things that go bang in all shapes and sizes, plus other odds and ends, on occasion. Consider me your own personal armory. All weapons are guaranteed to meet strict UCAS military spec or your money back. In addition, I can handle routine maintenance, repairs, and upgrades, if you so desire.

"Strict UCAS military spec" apparently includes baseball bats and makeshit home-made shotguns.

His store is almost identical to Jin Parks' from before, but also with one weapon tier higher. Not much we haven't seen before and no bayonets either, so we just move on to the final new face.

Good evening, young elf, and welcome to this humble home that we call the Union. I am Aljernon Half-Dream. To ease your way through the Sixth World, I offer you the best in magical foci, spells and fetishes for the conjuring of spirits.

Like Noog from earlier, Aljernon sells strictly magic stuff for the spellcaster classes, none of which we can use at all. Very exciting.

Eric has nothing to say either, so it's time to go see how Coyote's holding up. But we'll leave that to the second half of this update.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 19, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Psion posted:

Yeah, they did a better job with this in df/hk, but in this one you can safely ignore at least one person per game...forever.

e: I assume the best shopkeeper is in the second half of the update, though Buster always entertained me more than he should've.

IIRC you can pretty safely ignore Spider Shen in HK if you don't happen to be a melee character, unless you just want to get to know everyone.

DeathChicken posted:

Man but that song does sound familiar. Maybe an off-version of the dialogue music from the SNES game?

Yeah, I can't quite place my finger on it but it definitely reminds me of something. Could also be from a different series entirely though.

Tax Refund posted:

* Except Skyrim, where every single shopkeeper has a home (or at least a place to sleep) and when they're done with their business hours, they close up shop and go home, or sometimes to the tavern for a bite to eat and a drink before they go home. Makes the world feel more realistic and lived-in, but it's also more inconvenient for the player if fast travel landed them in town right at 6:01 PM and the shopkeeper won't do business with them until fourteen in-game hours later. Which is, of course, why most computer RPGs go for the "shopkeepers are always around day or night and don't have lives outside the shop" approach.

Skyrim? Pff, Ultima V did that already back in 1988. They also took breaks to eat during dinner time.

And shouted at you if you were too poor to buy their wares.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Psion posted:

Some of the director's commentary for HK suggests they remixed a dialogue track (the one with Dog, I think) into the safehouse themes in more than one game, but I listened and can't seem to hear it. I think it's got to be a SNES or Genesis Shadowrun inspiration, though.

The safehouse themes in both Dragonfall (Blood Hounds) and Hong Kong (Take Refuge) are real similar to each other and I think based on Exciting/Otherwordly Canines from the SNES game, I don't recall the commentary but I'd imagine that's the one they mean.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Bah, I don't think I've been sick for a week straight like this since I was a kid.

LAY-ZX posted:

Basically my entire experience with Shadowrun was some friends being in a campaign a few years ago and telling me a bit about the setting and the shenanigans they got up to, and it sounded really cool but I couldn't actually join in because the guy DMing for them has some sort of weird primal loathing of me in particular. I basically just resigned myself to never getting to play it myself and forgot about it, but now that I know that I can experience the setting in video game form I might have to pick these up sometime. Looking forward to the rest of the LP!

The setting is definitely cool and the games certainly worth playing, the latter two in particular.

And good timing!

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Part 12 - Meeting the Locals Continued

Good evening Coyote, Dr. Castle, severed arm.

Wait, which one of you is the doctor?

Thanks for helping me out back there.

Looked like you could use a hand.

Ouch! Bad joke right now. [She looks down at her mangled arm.]

Okay folks, I'm going to have to ask you to sit in the waiting area. Watch some trivid or something. This young lady and I have work to do.

Mrs. Kubota never said what kind of cyber-arm she'd pay for.

I want something badass. Got one with a laser inside?

Or how about a gatling gun, I know one guy.

You'll take what I give you, lady. Now, let's have a look at your face...

Leave it.

Excuse me?

Coyote...

I earned this face. By being stupid. I'm gonna keep it. End story.

An indeterminate amount of time passes

Nice arm.

Thanks. Mrs. Kubota will have me working it off for the rest of my life.

We could buy a new cyberarm for like, a thousand nuyen. You might want to consider asking for a raise.

[She notices your expression.]

You look like you've got something on your mind.

I have some questions.

[She flashes you a puzzled look.] What kind of questions?

About Sam Watts.

Sam Watts? What about him?

He's dead.

Holy drek. Sam. I can't say I'm surprised. He was on a downward spiral for a long time. What can I tell you?

Not really sure either, but let's poke around and see if something relevant comes up.

Tell me about Sam. I hear you liked him.

I did. He made me laugh. No one else seemed to like Sam's jokes, but I did.

No accounting for taste. Sam made some bad jokes.

If the dictionary entry for hypocrisy doesn't have our picture in it, the world really has gone to hell.

Not when he was sober. He was chill. And funny. I guess I knew him the best of everyone here. Sorry he's gone.

You served him the night he died. What do you remember about that night?

It was a pretty average night. Regular crowd, as I remember. Sam was drinking with a guy named Armitage.

Jake Armitage?

Yeah, you know him?

Met him. He's a charmer too.

Mr. Kluwe wasn't around - can't remember why - so she asked Jake to do the honors. Jake dragged him out the back, into the alley, and that's the last time I saw Sam.

Yeah, things got pretty serious for him after that.

Wait, did I use that one already

You said he got loud. Do you remember what he was saying?

[She thinks.] Standard Sam drek. How he grew up rich and didn't deserve this. How he hated his mother. How he loved his mother. It was pretty pathetic stuff.

Did he have any enemies?

[She thinks again.] Enemies? That's hard to say. Sam partied hard and when he did, he ran his mouth off pretty good. Got his rear end kicked on more than one occasion. But no, I don't think he had any enemies. At least none that I'm aware of.

Where did he live?

On the streets, mostly. He'd occasionally convince someone to let him flop on their couch but he'd always overstay his welcome and get kicked out after a few days. Sometimes, I'd sneak him down here so he could crash in one of the bunks. He used one the night before I saw him last.

Sounds like something worth checking out, just in case.

Exactly how bad was his drinking?

If it was just the drinking, it would have been bad. But Sam wasn't the monogamous type. He dabbled in everything. Booze... chips... drugs - he loved the Nitro - whatever he could get his hands on. It wasn't always like that but once he got sick, he started using more and more stuff to try and forget about it.

Sam was sick?

Well, his liver problems are definitely gone now that the liver took the problems with it.

Did he say how he got better?

He said his mom helped him out. Never said how, though.

Thanks, Coyote.

What do you need, babe?

I need you to talk to Mr. Delilah for me about the Royale run, he is usually upstairs. Tell him I didn't get the gems. Maybe I can take another run at it when I recover.

Oh, right, the gems. Yeah, it's really too bad we never found them. Something in my inventory uh I mean heart tells me you probably shouldn't bother going for them again though.

I will.

Talking to Delilah is an optional objective, the primary one being investigating Sam's bunk.

But let's introduce ourselves to the good doctor properly first.

Man, I wish I had my personal shoulder imp too. Just look at the cute lil' fella. :3:

And I suppose you were the one who patched her up. Impressive work.

Thank you. It's a shame she wouldn't let me repair her face, though.

[She notes you eyeballing the facilities.]

I can tell you're surprised to find a full-service medbay under a dive bar in a slum. Don't be. This is a shadowrunner bar, after all. For a purveyor of cyberware and trauma kits, there is no better place to set up a practice. I patch runners up, install and maintain their cyberware, and provide medical supplies for their runs. I may not be as mobile as Doc Wagon, but I'm the next best thing. So, can I help you with anything?

DocWagon is the world's largest medical service corporation. Amongst other things they offer service contracts, with the top tier Super Platinum service coming with all kinds of benefits including but not limited to your personal biomonitor and 5, that's right, 5 free resusciations per year for the low low annual price of ¥100,000!

I'd make some scathing quip about American healthcare but let's face it, those guys have it bad enough already.

Castle also offers a small tutorial on revival items. They revive people.

I see shamanic fetishes. You a shaman too?

While modern medical technology makes surgery less disruptive than it used to be, it's still an ordeal for both the body and the spirit, requiring extensive recuperation to properly heal. I am trained in the ways of the spirit world as well as the scientific world. I do my best to heal the whole patient.

What's that on your shoulder?

This little guy supports the healing rituals I perform on my patients after surgery, dramatically reducing their recovery time. Not standard procedure, of course, but the results speak for themselves.

Castle is the final vendor down here, and like she said she offers both medical goods and cyberware.

While she doesn't offer Medkits beyond basic ones, she does have all Trauma Kit tiers available from the start. A little expensive for us right now, though.

The :awesomelon: section has some cool but pricey stuff. That said none of the currently available cyberware is really worth buying for us who don't spend much time in the frontlines.

We head back upstairs to find Mr. Delilah.

We spot him in the back room near an enthusiastic lady enraptured by elf butt.

Mr. Delilah? We have business to discuss.

What business? I got no business with you.

We're with Coyote. She's indisposed at the moment.

[At the mention of Coyote, he finally gives you his full attention.] Why didn't you say so? Coyote is late and my client is getting anxious. Where is she?

Downstairs, trying on a new arm. Your run went south for her.

No kidding? Hrm. Well, whatever. She's tough. She'll pull through. So, who're you two?

This is Coyote's boyfriend, Paco. I'm Amazon.

What is this, a romance trid? I don't give a crap about boyfriends. Where're the stones?

We have three choices here - Either giving him all the gems, pocketing the best gem before giving him the rest, or pocketing a strange rune-covered pebble before giving him the rest.

He'll see through it if we try the latter two however, getting downright pissed if we keep the pebble, so we might as well give a trustworthy first impression by handing them all over.

That's the one.

[He pockets it.]

Okay, you done good. But you're late. And Coyote knows that in this case, late equals no payment. But, I'm feeling magnaminous tonight so you guys can keep the rest of the gems as your reward.

Not gonna argue with that one.

Deal.

Looks like you impressed him. I know a fence for those gems. Van Graas. Follow me.

The in-game text actually has Paco call him "Van Gaas" which is mildly funny.

We walk over to the ever-occupied dwarf.

There is an optional Charisma check of 3 here which makes zero difference in anything except the next couple of lines.

I can see you're a busy man.

[He nods his head.] That's right. And...?

So, I wouldn't bother you if I hadn't come into possession of these rare stones.

[You have his attention.] Rare stones, huh? Let's see these rare stones.

Here we actually have four different choices, with the first one being simply accepting the money. Alternatively with a Charisma check of 5 we could increase the price to 1500, and with a Strength check of 6 we could strong-arm him into paying 1800.

The fourth option requires the Academic etiquette which just so happens to be one of the two we have.

Did the software in your HUD appraise the value of the stones?

[He looks amused.] Could be.

We both know the International Gemological Institute will set the price far higher than your offer.

It'll take time for you to get top nuyen for it. Let's call it two thousand.

You got a deal.

:homebrew: This is arguably the most beneficial etiquette usage in the entire campaign as an extra thousand is quite big this early on and the two other options both pay worse and have high requirements.

Done. Gimme your credstick.

+2000 nuyen, of which Coyote will see zero because she never asks and we can't bring it up with her. Real shame.

It's time to get this plot moving again, so we head back downstairs to see if Sam's bunk will reveal its secrets.

You can see our item stash next to the bunk, we can use it to store any extra stuff we have. Any items found during missions which don't fit into our inventory will transfer there automatically. It'll also repair our broken drones.

Searching through the bed, we eventually find an old photograph.

Cute. We flip it around to see if there's anything on the back.

So, this Jessica person who sent that note to him was his twin sister. Are both his sister and mother somehow relevant to this whole thing?

We pocket the photo and go see if Coyote knows anything, making sure not to mention anything about any valuable stones or monetary rewards.

You know someone named Jessica?

[Her brow furrows.] No. Why?

That's the name of Sam's sister.

Jessica Watts... yeah! He mentioned her once. It didn't sound like they got along that well.

I'm starting to think there was literally nobody outside of Coyote he did get along with.

Suddenly!

Officer Aguirre, what a pleasure to hear from you.

Yeah, yeah. We're buddies. Let's go dancing soon. Listen, the Ripper got another one. The victim worked at the NTSB investigation facility down on the docks. You owe me for this.

Again? Gotta hand it to this murderer, they're not in the habit of wasting time.

Put it on my tab. You there now?

Yeah, but better get here quick - before McKlusky arrives.

[The image on your PDA dissolves as the call ends.]

Another Ripper murder? Where?

The docks. I've got to go.

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

There's nothing left to do here, so we're off right away.

Hopefully betrayals and ambushes have gone out of vogue since our last visit. Wouldn't hold my breath though.

Official art: The Seamstresses Union Bar

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 6, 2017

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Alacron posted:

It will never stop being surreal to me seeing the names of places I've been and lived in a game about elves, cyborgs, and magic. :psyduck:

I bet, I assume you're talking about Lake Sammamish State Park in this case?

I've always thought that it must've been really weird/cool to have grown up as a gamer in Tokyo especially, considering the crazy number of games that take place there and all the different forms the city has taken in them.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Since I figured it might be neat and to potentially help the next update be on the next page, I'm gonna post the short story "Dog Tags" from the Anthology which ties Jake's story from the original Shadowrun to Returns.

It'll be in two pieces and I've adjusted some names and whatnot as they didn't all match the release version of the game.

Guest starring:

Kitsune
Dog
Glutman
Hamfist
Anders
Spatter

Shadowrun Returns Anthology posted:

Dog Tags, part 1

Through the smoky haze and mood lighting, nearly everyone who walked into the Seamstresses Union looked like a potential threat to Jake. Techno backbeat pulsed through the house stereo at respectable levels—loud enough to discourage clientele from engaging the working girls in any kind of meaningful conversation but quiet enough not to distract customers from shelling out their hard-earned nuyen on a good time. Jake knew all of Mrs. Kubota’s girls and guys, but every time he heard the brothel’s discreet, front entrance swing open and a new face wandered in, his blood pressure spiked for a few minutes while he kept close tabs on the newcomer.

Someone posing as a john could actually be looking for him. Jake felt pretty confident that Mrs. Kubota wouldn’t sell him out, but if an agent trying to hunt him down got ahold of the wrong girl and managed to loosen her lips with money, drugs, or good old-fashioned violence, Jake knew he’d probably end up on a fragging morgue slab. Again. Only, this time, he wouldn’t wake up.

Fortunately Jake’s booth at the club tonight afforded him the perfect place to keep an eye on the entrance without being noticed. The door jingled, which his paranoia-trained ears could pick out from the thumping bass, cuing him to perk up and pay attention.

A dwarf in Amerindian-fringed leathers wandered inside, his lips already twisted and drooling from what Jake guessed was the aftereffects of a decent BTL high. Jake relaxed but didn’t completely let down his guard. Marcel came by once every few nights. The dwarf got his chip on at home—Mrs. Kubota had a strict no-BTL policy here—and then would wander into the Union to work off his comedown with one of the girls.

Been here so long I even know the regular patrons’ habits Jake thought, disgusted at himself. But he couldn’t go anywhere else, not yet. Word on the street was someone had been asking around about him lately, and it never paid to be too careful, especially when this current safehouse had served him well so far. Mrs. Kubota gave him free room and board in exchange for helping her with problem clients bothering the girls. The moment he set foot outside the Union, however, he’d have a giant laser dot painted right on his forehead.

Jake sighed and returned to perusing files on his pocket secretary. The most recent message came from Glutman, an acquaintance since his early days as a data courier. They got to Kitsune, Glutman had said. Keep your head down extra low for awhile.

The message had arrived via secure backchannels several days ago, but Jake reread it often, just to burn those words into his head. Didn’t matter whether Kitsune was still alive or had all of her fingers and toes and eyeballs and lips and tongues and tails still attached. Didn’t matter that she’d also managed to fall off the grid and remain incommunicado even via secret, plan-B channels Jake and her set up long ago.

They got to Kitsune.

If “they” could get to Kitsune, they sure as hell could get to him. It was only a matter of time.

Scratching an itch near the datajack implanted in his right temple, Jake swirled the synthahol Scotch is his glass. “They” were likely deniable assets. Until he killed enough of them for Fuchi to warrant a more personal touch, the people he’d slotted off would keep on trying, and Jake would keep picking them off one at a time until either the megacorp deemed him too expensive to pursue further or some random guttertrash, yakuza, or freelance operative got lucky and geeked him.

How much was his head worth these days?

Jake fumbled around in the pocket of his black leather trenchcoat—consciously choosing to ignore the feathered, shamanic fetish and the dog collar within—and extracted a cigarette from a silver case. He wasn’t much of a smoker, but he’d found the physical item helped with his ritual. He put the cigarette between his lips and cupped his hands around it, as though trying to shield it from the wind while lighting it with a cigarette lighter.

Jake closed his eyes and concentrated. C’mon, Jake, you can do this. Upon opening his eyes, he saw not the dark, smokiness of the Union but a world awash with colors. The nearest joygirl’s life force blazed like a bonfire in reds, yellows, and purples—she’d recently tended to one of her favorites. Marcel, on the other hand, his aura stank of dark blues and sickly greens, with a geometric patch of black at his temple revealing the datajack hidden under his long, stringy hair.

Amongst these metahuman auras, ethereal wisps flitted about—some seemingly in a rush, others lazing about like blankets of smoke drifting in a spring breeze. Jake caught the attention of one of the smaller, lazy specters with a faintly visible aura. No way in hell would he be able to hook one of the faster ones, not today.

"Hoi," Jake said, reaching out to the spirit with his will. Can I trouble you for a favor, young one?

The spirit solidified into the astral form of a lightning bug and buzzed around his head. I’m not supposed to talk to you, it replied. Go buzz.

The spirit shot off faster than a real lightning bug could. No joy there.

Jake tried another, a spirit shaped like a lounging salamander. I just need a light, he said, and I’ll let you go, I swear.

The salamander spirit blinked its amphibian eyes, flicked out its tongue at him, then vanished into windblown mist.

Gritting his teeth, Jake let go of the astral plane. All the vivid light vanished as smoke, sweat, and backbeat assaulted his consciousness all at once. "For frag’s sake," he said under his breath and slid the unlit cigarette back into his pocket.

Once, not long ago, he was among the most sought-after shadowrunners in the Seattle metroplex—the good kind of “sought-after,” that was. At the start of his career, he survived arena deathmatches, connected with a shamanic totem, killed vampires, faced down a powerful free spirit, and toppled a corporation intent on conquering the Matrix. Hell, he’d even killed a fragging dragon—in all honesty, Drake had been a young dragon— which was a claim few runners could make.

Now he was living in a brothel and couldn’t beg a light from even the lowest-Force denizens of the astral plane.

The front door jingled once more. Another regular wandered in—a pale ork named Gordo, with a tusk-filled grin for all the girls working the front of the house. Jake kept an eye on him for a few extra moments just to make sure he wasn’t packing any heat in those filthy denims. Then again, who was to say “they” hadn’t gotten to Gordo with the promise of a nice payday? Was that the outline of a pistol in his pocket?

Jake’s hand instinctively fell to the Ares Predator concealed in his coat lining. His pulse elevated.

Gordo approached the bar and pulled out a silver, pen-like tube. Not a pistol—just a credstick to establish tonight’s bar tab.

Jake exhaled and went back to his drink. The problem with being in this business was sometimes he found it hard to tell when an odd feeling meant something was truly wrong or if paranoia was simply making its regular check-in.

Get your head back in the game, he told himself.

He’d been trying for weeks, but after lying low for this long, he didn’t know how. He could only fixate on the past and analyze it to death, trying to figure out where he went wrong. Kitsune had tried to help him—Dog bless her—but hearing the truth from her hadn’t set his mind at ease.

"Even bad runs happen to good runners." she’d said before they parted ways. The dragon-slayer in him found that line really hard to swallow.

Compared to taking down Drake, breaking into Fuchi’s Seattle offices had been child’s play. One of his contacts, a disgruntled ex-Fuchi employee, had provided Jake, Kitsune, Spatter, Hamfist, and Anders with security badges. A quick flash of them to the bored receptionist at the front desk granted them access to the building. Further into the lobby, Kitsune, her shapeshifter’s foxtail hidden beneath a snappy pantsuit, flirted with a young wageslave long enough to pickpocket his maglock passkey. Spatter, the team’s mage, cast an invisibility spell that allowed them to pile into an elevator with an oblivious sarariman who kept looking over his shoulder and scrunching his forehead. Off the elevator, Anders had to use his Defiance Super Shock to tase an employee who bumped into Hamfist’s invisible, orkish bulk. Another employee stumbled upon Jake dragging the tased wageslave into a supply closet; Hamfist rabbit-punched her before she could scream and shoved her in the closet alongside the first.

“Coast is clear,” Kitsune said to Jake with a vulpine smirk. “Now, let’s get you a terminal.”

The Mr. Johnson who’d hired Jake was interested in a rumored Fuchi project considered illegal under most legal jurisdictions, but the datastore housing the files allowed no offsite access. Jake needed to be inside the
building to pull this off.

Finding an empty terminal was easy. To protect Jake while he was jacked in, Kitsune held a summoned spirit in astral space, beneath Spatter’s invisibility spell, while Anders and Hamfist kept their guns pointed down the hall to watch for signs of trouble. Jake shrugged off his trenchcoat just enough to retrieve the Fuchi Cyber-6 cyberdeck strapped between his shoulder blades, and in moments he was gliding through the system’s Matrix defenses like a monofilament blade through flesh.

Though flaunting red-level security, the system presented very little challenge to a veteran decker like Jake. Within moments of nabbing the file, replacing it with a dummy file, and jacking out, he’d already forgotten the system’s unremarkable architecture.

Just as Jake was reorienting himself from the slightly dizzying transition between cyberspace and meatspace, something moved in his peripheral vision.

A dog. A brown, nondescript dog about the size of a terrier. Kind but determined eyes weighted with age and wisdom stared at him. Not just any dog. This was capital d Dog. His shamanic totem. His mentor in the way of magic and spirits.

Been a long time, Jake, Dog said, its tongue hanging out of its mouth.

I’m sorry, Jake said. He couldn’t stop thinking about the precious file stored on his cyberdeck; he only had to get it out of the building intact.

I’ve… been a little preoccupied lately.

Too preoccupied dabbling in technology, I see, Dog said, lips curling into a snarl. Relying on all that cyberware you had installed.

I was the only one who could deck into this system. And we already have Kitsune’s spirits for this job.

Dog said nothing.

I’ll make it up to you, Jake said. I swear.

That is what you said last time we spoke. Have you forgotten your way, whelp?

Jake glanced back at Anders and Hamfist on lookout down the hall. Now isn’t really the best time for this.

Then when? Dog asked.

“I’ve got someone coming,” Anders said, adjusting his mirrored sunglasses. “Correction: a lot of someones coming. You need to hurry it up, Jake.”

Jake faced the terminal again; Dog had already vanished.

“Null sheen,” he said. “Let’s get out of here.” Stuffing the cyberdeck under his arm, he pulled out his Ares Predator.

Spatter was lost in concentration. “I can’t sustain this spell much longer… We should go. Now.

Anders and Hamfist, still under the invisibility spell, moved into the hall. Jake followed and stopped dead in his tracks. At the end of the hall, in front of the sec guards armed with security pistols and body armor, crouched a leashed pair of angry barghests. The massive, paranormal guard dogs’ eyes glowed with seething, crimson fury.

Drek.

The barghests saw right through Spatter’s invisibility spell: on the astral plane the team’s auras showed up as blinding torches to the creatures. The lead barghest howled a sound so horrid Jake wanted to curl up into a ball and die in a dark, empty room.

Sec guards opened fire right as the barghests pounced with snapping jaws. Jake’s boosted reflexes kicked in, and he shoved Kitsune to the ground as he hit the dirt alongside her. He felt something break when he landed, but there was no time to worry about that. Machine pistols chattered lead right over Jake’s head. Anders went down. Hamfist ducked back into the room and returned fire with three-round bursts from his HK227.

“Kitsune,” Jake whispered, “now would be a good time to do your—”

His hand felt wet. Blood from Kitsune’s prone form stained his fingers. She was down for the count, which meant the spirit she’d summoned was also gone. A quick astral check let him know she was still alive—barely. Magical energy and bullets crackled over Jake’s head as Spatter tossed spells at the charging barghests and Hamfist traded fire with the sec guards. Seconds later, Spatter took a round to the face and spiraled to the floor. Anders’s aura was fading; unless Jake could do something, both Kitsune and he weren’t going to make it.

Jake turned his perception to the astral plane, where time seemed to slow both bullets and barghests to a gelatinous crawl. Astral denizens of all kinds darted every which way, all of them seemingly in a hurry.

Spirits, Jake called out, I beseech you: lend me your aid in this time of crisis!

A towering, high-Force spirit slowed down long enough to lock eyes with him. By whose authority do you entreat my succor?

By my authority, Jake answered.

You have no authority here, mortal, the spirit said, and with a malicious sound Jake took for laughter, it departed for the metaplanes.

The next spirit refused to acknowledge his presence. Still, Jake reached out for it with his will, clawing at it in a desperate attempt to bring it to heel. He couldn’t grab hold. It felt like trying to capture smoke with his bare hands.

Despair kicked him square in the gut. In anguish he released his astral form and fired his Predator at the incoming barghest. The oversized mutt yelped and collapsed. Hamfist ducked into the hall. Firing his submachine gun at the sec guards with one hand, the massive ork dragged Jake and Kitsune to safety one at a time with the other.

“What about Anders?” Jake said. The merc had fallen much further down the hall.

From the blood slick running down Hamfist’s leg, he’d already taken a nice hit. “Too risky,” he grunted. “Plus, I never liked the son of a slitch to begin with. We need to get outta here 'fore it’s too late. You got the file, right?”

The cyberdeck, Jake remembered. Where is it?

He glanced out into the hallway, still crawling with security. The Cyber-6 lay in pieces on the floor. The casing and optical chips inside had snapped in half when he’d dove for cover and fell on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

It's always cool to read about other people's experiences with Shadowrun, thanks. And yeah, it's always especially interesting to hear the views of those who don't have prior familiarity with the game or the setting.

TheMcD posted:

Man, Jake. Just get a party face. Things get so much easier when people actually think you're supposed to be there. Just look at Johnny Clean, he knows how to do it. Nobody suspects the janitor, and with a bit of smooth talk, nobody suspects the "outside contractor troubleshooters" either.

To be fair, Johnny Clean looks like Generic McGenericFace whereas you could recognize Jake's hair half the city away on a clear day.

Anyway, here's the rest of it. There are some discrepancies caused by the fact that this was written early on that I didn't bother trying to cover up, but just roll with 'em.

Shadowrun Returns Anthology posted:

Dog Tags, part 2

After getting Kitsune and Hamfist patched up at a street clinic, Jake had returned to his doss to find the place trashed. Every item of importance had either been stolen or destroyed—everything except two articles normal thugs would’ve assumed were just garbage. An ordinary dog collar with a jingly set of ID tags had been tossed into a corner alongside the magical fetish that first started him on his shamanic journey.

Finding those tags made Jake wonder what he was doing. What was he? A decker? A shaman? Both? It seemed the more he stepped foot in one world, the further he became detached from the other. But the cyberdeck had allowed him to get the damning file; his boosted reflexes had allowed him to save Kitsune’s life; and his dermal armor implants had saved his own life on the way out of the corp building. If he had forgone any of those, would he still be alive? What spirit could guarantee him that kind of assurance?

Jake had half expected Dog to show up with an I-told-you-so speech upon him finding the dog collar, but his totem spirit was a no-show, just like every spirit he tried to conjure. Still, before permanently bidding his doss farewell, Jake tucked the collar and tags into his coat pocket. For old time’s sake.

“Y’know,” said a coy, feminine voice at the fringes of Jake’s reverie, “I’ve seen that look before.”

Jake glanced up from the booth. The Union’s bartender, a caramel-skinned, dreadlocked girl named Coyote Ugly, waited with a tray laden with empty glasses. Most of the regulars called her “Coyote” for short, but not Jake. “Coyote” sounded too much like Dog’s cousin for his own comfort, so he shortened it to “Ugly” instead, which was unfortunate, considering she was anything but. Him calling out “Hey, Ugly” across the Union to catch her attention had gotten him more than a few stares from first-timers who didn’t know her whole name.

“That’s the look of nostalgia, Army,” Ugly said. Ever since Jake had first holed up in the Seamstresses Union, she’d taken to calling him by his shortened surname, and she was the only one he let get away with it.

“So what if it is?” he replied.

“You be careful ‘bout nostalgia, or it’ll come ‘round and bite you on the hoop.”

He looked away from her. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

With eyes and chin, she gestured to his now empty glass. “You want another one?”

Jake held a hand over the glass. “I shouldn’t. I’m technically on the clock.”

“I won’t tell if you won’t,” Ugly said with a wink. “Just make sure that freak Gordo actually pays his bar tab tonight, and I’ll call it a win.”

Jake relented.

Ugly poured him another two fingers of whiskey, neat. “You know what you need, Army?” she said, poking him with an elbow while recapping the whiskey bottle. “You need a SOTA upgrade. On life, that is.”

SOTA. State-of-the-art. Deckers and chromed-out street samurai like Hamfist talked about it all the time. Lag behind on the SOTA curve in this business, and you wouldn’t stay alive for long. Early in their relationship, Dog said Jake’s datajack and head computer were “thrust upon him” because they’d been implanted against Jake’s will. But to stay alive, he’d had to keep up with SOTA like everyone else, which meant trading a small portion of his humanity for an edge he believed not even magic could give him. SOTA…that was what got Jake in trouble with Dog in the first place.

But a SOTA upgrade on life? How could he do that here, living on the lam, acting as a glorified bouncer for a house of ill repute?

“I know you’re slumming,” Ugly said, “but do you really want to live in a whorehouse for the rest of your life?” She shook her head as two joygirls walked by wearing only bikinis and high heels. “Nevermind. Don’t answer that. But seriously: Buck up, soldier. That’s an order.” With a smile, she punched him in the shoulder and wandered off to serve Gordo, who seemed intent on getting seriously drekfaced tonight.

Jake spent the next several minutes watching Coyote Ugly clean glasses and mix drinks. Business seemed to slow. By the time the front door jingled again, Marcel had gone upstairs with one of the elven joygirls, and Gordo was four sheets to the wind. Jake perked up, his hand resting on his hidden Predator.

A human shape shambled into the Union. Jake’s fingers tensed until he recognized another of the club’s regulars. In another life, Sam Watts would’ve probably been a corp exec, with his stylish pinstripes and conservative haircut, but when he swayed into the Union, his hair was ruffled, and his disheveled, unbuttoned suit jacket already had stains down the front. From the shape of Sam’s walk, Jake could tell he was already blitzed out of his gourd.

Sam plunked himself down at the bar and nearly missed the stool entirely. “Hey, beautiful,” he said in a drunken drawl to Ugly, “you got any bunraku girls here? I’m in the mood for shomethin’…weird.”

Ugly’s eyes narrowed. Meat puppets. Even Jake knew Mrs. Kubota wouldn’t stoop that low. “Sam, you know we don’t—”

“There a ‘random’ shetting on those bunraku things, I wonder?” Sam went on, oblivious. “Or mebbe I can get me a girl programmed t’think she’s a man who’s convinced she’s a woman trapped in a man’s body. That’s weird enough, right? Bet the yaksh do that kinda thing alla time … Twishted motherfraggers …”

“Sam,” Ugly insisted. “You know we don’t condone that sort of thing here.”

Sam ignored her. “Mebbe I could program one o’ yer bunraku dolls to act like my ungrateful shishter, so’s I could beat the drek outta her, heh. And don’t you ever tell her I shaid that. Fragging slitch…”

Glancing at Jake, Ugly opened her eyes wider as she nodded at Sam. A little help here? she seemed to say.

Jake let go of his pistol, not realizing he’d still been gripping it despite recognizing Sam, and took an empty barstool. “Everything wiz here, chummer?” he said to Sam.

“Mind yer own fraggin’ biz,” Sam said, bleary eyes not truly acknowledging Jake’s intrusion. “I’m talkin’ to the li’l lady here.”

“Sam,” Jake said. The tinge of a growl crept into the name. “You’re drunk. Go home. Want me to call you a cab?”

“Negatory, chummo,” Sam said, stabbing a finger toward Jake with his eyes closed. “I ain’t leavin’ ‘til I get me shome bunraku.”

“Fine,” Ugly said with contempt. “You want some bunraku? Head to the yakuza parlor twelve blocks down. If some Halloweener freaks don’t geek you on your way, I’m sure the yaks will when you show up.”

“No,” Sam said waving off the idea. “No yaks. Howzabout you be my meat puppet for tonight?” He ran a fingertip along Ugly’s wrist.

She immediately wrenched her arm away from him. “Not a chance.”

“Hey, Ugly,” Sam said. “Give a guy a break.”

Jake frowned. No one called her that but him. “All right, chummer. I think it’s time for you to leave.”

“Back off!” Sam barked. “Can’tcha shee me’n the lady’re havin’ a convershation here?”

Sam grabbed Ugly by the arm, and she instantly backhanded him across the jaw.

“Don’t ever touch me again,” she snapped.

“That’s it,” Jake growled, snatching up a fistful of Sam’s collar and hoisting him to his feet. “You’re coming with me.”

“Why I oughtta—”

Jake yanked up on Sam’s collar to force him onto his tiptoes, then twisted Sam’s right arm up behind his back. “Save it. You’ll live longer.”

“All right, all right! Geez!

Rather than make a scene outside the front door, Jake escorted Sam out the back. The alley reeked of garbage, urine, and some acrid, gagging stink that was probably devil rat droppings. Yellowed streetlights from around the corner filtered through fire escapes, dappling trash bags and dumpsters with crisscrossing zebra patterns. For a moment Jake basked in Seattle’s myriad sounds—distant Lone Star sirens probably running down a gogang, the low level growl of street traffic, suborbitals and helos coming in for landings at Sea-Tac…

Felt good to be back outside again, even if it was just an alley in Redmond’s relatively tame Touristville district.

“Go home, Sam,” Jake said, prodding the drunk a few staggering steps down the alley.

Sam waved him off. “All right, all right already.”

“You want me to call you a cab?”

A shadow shifted further down the alley. “The only cab yer gonna be callin’, spugface,” a deep, thrumming voice said with a sinister hiss, “is a fraggin’ hearse.”

By instinct, Jake drew his Predator and aimed at the hunched silhouette. Another shadow joined the first, then another, and another. From above, a clatter on the fire escapes betrayed even more shadows.

The largest shadow, a troll with a broken horn and dressed in black leathers and browns the color of dried blood, muscled forward to step into the zebra patterned light. “Well, well, well,” the ganger said, the blocky shape of a heavy pistol in his oversized hand. “The mutt finally decided ta crawl outta his den.”

The ganger stepped further into the light, and Jake saw a crude insignia on the troll’s jacket: a black flaming Jack O’Lantern on an orange backgrond.

Jake cursed under his breath and thumbed off his Predator’s safety. Halloweeners. One of the craziests thrill gangs in all of the Seattle metroplex. What the frag were they doing this deep into Touristville? A quick dip into astral perception confirmed a count of at least half a dozen of them with guns already trained on him.

“Get behind me,” Jake said to Sam.

Instead, Sam’s drunken brain made him turn tail and run. He didn’t get far. Two Taser darts sank into his back. His whole body seized up, and he face-planted into a mound of garbage, twitching and retching all over himself.

Sweat beaded on Jake’s palm as he renewed his grip on the Predator. The back door had already swung shut, and the nearest dumpster was too far away to dive behind. His cybered reflexes could let him get off one shot on the troll and maybe two more before the gangers tore into him. Drums throbbed in his head. Had he felt like this facing down Drake? No, he’d had magic on his side then. What did he have going for him now?

“Do you know who I am?” he said with false bravado.

“You’re Jake Armitage,” the troll said. “Someone paid us some real good money to take you out.” From his pocket he pulled a rusted knife and licked the blade with his large tongue. A manic flash lit his eyes. “I wouldn’t put up a fuss if I was you. It’d be a shame if we had ta go in there an frag up yer girlfriend.”

Jake knew he was a decent shot, but there was not a chance in hell he could singlehandedly protect the Seamstresses Union from these scumbags. Not unless—

Without even thinking, he dove into the astral plane. Even if he could somehow convince one of the lowly spirits to help him, what good would a spark small enough to light a cigarette do against so many gangers? Jake ground his teeth and clawed out in desperation.

Suddenly his astral self caught something. He expected the essence of a low- or medium-Force spirit but was sorely mistaken. The burning-coal eyes of the most powerful spirit Jake had even seen bore holes right into his soul.

How dare you touch me! the spirit boomed, turning Jake’s brain into mush. Let me go!

No, Jake said. You will do as I ask.

By whose authority?

Jake was about to respond the same way he’d tried summoning all of the cigarette-lighter spirits, but here, in this life-and-death moment, with several guns pointed at him and his temporary home, that answer evaporated on his astral lips.

By Dog’s authority! Jake shouted. Instantly he could feel his own will exerting upon the ethereal flame, compelling it to obey him not as a slave, but as a partner. An extension of who Jake was.

The spirit hesitated. Then its coal eyes closed. As you wish.

Jake let go of the astral and witnessed the alley light up with blinding yellow and orange flame. Like living magma, the fire spirit manifested on the physical plane and exploded tongues of flame into the Halloweeners. The troll ganger caught on fire and ran out of the alley, shrieking in terror. The smell of untold heat and burnt flesh curled Jake’s nose hairs. While the spirit set the rest of the gangers on fire, Jake shot down those who tried to run. A few managed to flee into the street, but he didn’t bother pursuing them. It was a good bet the 'weeners wouldn’t be bothering the Union again for quite some time.

So much for keeping a low profile.

Thank you, Jake said to the hovering cloud of living fire. I owe you my life.

You owe me nothing, the spirit replied. But your totem, on the other hand…

Standing in the middle of smoking, flash-fried ganger corpses, Jake watched the spirit wander down the alley and disappear back into the astral plane. Near where the spirit vanished, he saw the unmistakable silhouette of a small dog staring at him from the shadows. Jake blinked, and the dog vanished.

“Name’s Dresden,” the dwarven chop shop owner said to Jake over a handshake. “Coyote Ugly sent you?”

“Yeah,” Jake said, trying to ignore all of the bone saws and other disturbing surgical implements scattered about the place. “My safehouse’s been compromised. Just need a place to lie low for awhile.”

“I’ve got just the thing, Mr. Armitage.” Dresden beckoned Jake further into the street clinic—Organ Grinders, the neon sign out front said. “Right this way. We’ll get you set up nice and easy. I just hope you’re not claustrophobic.”

Jake followed the dwarf down some poorly lit stairs that led into, of all places, a morgue. One of the slabs was already open; a blue-tinged corpse missing a couple of limbs was lying on it.

Oh, great, Jake thought. Here we go again.

“It’s not much,” Dresden said, rolling out the nearest slab, “but no one’ll think to look for you here. Just hop on in, and I’ll leave you to it.”

“Thanks,” Jake said.

He settled down onto the cold metal slab, trying not to fixate on how familiar the scene felt. Dresden rolled him inside and closed him away into darkness. Only the screen of Jake’s pocket secretary provided him light.

As he lay there trying to get comfortable in the too-cold cubby, Jake heard a quiet jingle in his coat pocket. He pulled out the dog collar and tags—in all the craziness of the night, he’d forgotten they were there—and stared at them in the pocket secretary’s glow for a good long while.

Jake laced the collar around his neck and fastened it closed. The cold dog tags settled into the hollow of his neck. It felt…comforting to wear after all this time.

Turning off his pocket secretary, he finally tried to get some rest, but that was harder done than said. His new, little world was just too drat cold. As he drifted off to sleep, he wondered if the dwarf had remembered to switch off the refrigeration for this unit.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 08:10 on May 24, 2017

• Locked thread