Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

In this and Dragonfall, I didn't find cyberware to be that great when I played. In Honk Kong, though, I found something I really, really liked.

Thank god someone does this besides me.

I've always found the cyberware in all the games to be pretty effective, but I've always had a really hard time getting into playing any of the magical paths so that makes the decision really easy for me.

Rabidredneck posted:

I've played through HK and DF, haven't actually tried SR yet, so I'm looking forward to seeing you go through this.

It's really hard to go back to SR after the other two but I reconciled it by describing SR as more of a noir story than a party based rpg to people.

RudeCat fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

the red stuff is blood not salsa. a reasonable mistake to make

The Chunky Salsa rule refers to the tendency of the tabletop ruled grenades to render creatures into it when you use a grenade in an enclosed area. You're ”supposed" to calculate the force of the blast being reflected by any surface it doesn't destroy and dealing (reduced) damage on each pass. It's a lot of needless math, imo. Easier to say that a grenade in a small solid room kills people dead.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

MagusofStars posted:

Serious question from someone who's never played the tabletop: If the rules are as hosed as everyone is saying, how do people play? Do you just SWAG a bunch of stuff or is there some commonly accepted set of homebrew house rules that fix stuff?

Just to add to what others have said, the rules aren't as bad as they're made out to be so much so much as each of the main three ways of interacting with the gameworld (physical, technological, and magical) are different from each other. They still use the basic method of rolling a dice pool and calculating successes but each one has at least a slightly different set of rules to abide by, although magical and physical tend to be fairly similar. Decking/Hacking in particular can cause issues, since that can really almost be an entirely separate game all by itself.

One thing I *like* about this in play is that once everybody at the table is running on all cylinders with their characters it really is like a team of experts coming together to deal with problems, with each member of the team having their area of expertise that they focus in. However, it can be a really steep hill to climb to get there.

There's also the fact that the layouts and editing, at least for the current edition, is pretty poor and makes learning the system kind of a bear.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Rabidredneck posted:

One thing I miss from previous editions were cyberdeck construction and modification rules. It got really interesting when cranial cyberdecks were introduced, but 4th and 5th just bioled everything down to "Have a commlink? Good to go!" I liked the rules for messing around the guts of your cyberdeck to squeeze just a little more performance out of it. One of the splatbooks had rules for designing and coding your own software, complete with software design suites to help build your perfect program.

The 4th and 5th edition rules do the job, but you just dont get the feel of being the guy who custom built everything.

This is pretty much the one thing that keeps me from just porting the setting of Shadowrun over to some other, simpler, system. I really like being able to tinker with the fine bits of a character.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

I dont know posted:

I would also like to give a special mention one of the most mocked parts of 2nd edition rules, The Skill Web. The idea behind The Skill Web was that experience in some skills were transferable to other similar skills. So for example, you want to shoot a rifle, but your character doesn't have the skill firearms:rifle. No problem, you have a high skill level in firearms:pistol, and since the two skills are similar, you can use your pistol skill in place of a rifle skill with a small penalty modifier. The Skill Web was a large chart of every skill in the game connected but lines and dots. For every step you move on the skill web the modifier increased. This means that any skill can potentially be substituted for any other skill if you take a large enough penalty. It is very difficult, but completely possible to use your same skill in pistols to, for example, land a helicopter.

That's like 4/5s of a good idea! It reminds me a lot of GURPS allowing you to substitute weapon skills for (similar) weapons. Could you figure out the optimum starting point and then make an adept with a ridiculous level in that skill and just default your way through a game?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

If you could cultivate a large enough biosphere then you could eke out at least a little bit of mana for a mage to use.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Since I save and reload a fair amount for LP purposes, am I going to end up fighting constant super soldiers without realizing it? :tinfoil:

Nobody said Lp-ing the shadows was going to be easy, chummer.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Ain't no crime to make some extra nuyen, gotta stack that soy-cheddar when you can!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I'm enjoying this LP - it got me to buy Shadowrun Hong Kong which is now $5 on steam if anyone is interested.

Will I lose out on anything by playing that before the previous games?

The way the matrix is handled is different, almost divisively so, but I find both the Hong Kong and Dragonfall/Returns ways enjoyable. There's some other mechanical differences but that's the major one. There's no real continuity between any of the 3 games though, aside from minor mentions of events in other places. Enjoy the game!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

I recall reading something about this on one of the game's Steam discussion page, although I can't find it now. I think the basic consensus was "yeah, it sucks but it's a thing", which isn't helpful at all in this case, but it's apparently something known.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Poil posted:

Compared to real life future Shadowrun has:

+Magic
+No global warming
+Dwarves, trolls and other cool races
+Affordable cybernetics, the most basic 20/20 cybereyes costs as much as an iphone and can be done in an afternoon

-Magical monsters like hellhounds and ghouls

Don't forget NERPS!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

One thing ive really noticed is that these games are pretty good about having checks on a variety of stats and skills. Its not just pump charisma for 90% of all checks.

Yeah, they really do a good job of letting your character be a unique toolbox when it comes to solving problems. As someone who tends to pump charisma regardless of archetype it feels *right* to come up against problems that it can't solve, especially when the game lets your teammates step up occasionally. Makes you feel like a member of a team rather than just the Main Character running around and doing everything.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

I just wish there were instances where using his "non-lethal takedown" would reflect in the narrative.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

I can think of two instances where it is reflected, though not in particularly important ways.

Must have missed them, good to know that they're in there though!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Geomancing posted:

Gwenneth is calling her employer, her employer's wife, and the savior of Brittania slime because they're short on money for a crossbow, the weapon that Iolo himself made.

Cyberpunk corporate dystopia as gently caress

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Jack2142 posted:

I like how Federated Boeing exists in both Shadowrun and Battletech. Also in regards to rain, I think its just the Shadowrun Seattle shtick and Bladerunner that codified that.

It's also very noir, which gave cyberpunk some of its genes. If they do it right they'll have the skies clear in the end scene.

McKlusky is a great antagonist, he's a real piece of poo poo and everybody, including him, knows it. Taking every chance you get to screw him over or rustle his jimmies is a real treat. The fact that he's not just a paper tiger and could, if sufficiently roused, make life difficult for a runner gives the interactions with him a pretty solid feel.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It doesn't make any sense in universe though. Workers are paid with company scrip and buy from company stores. Why would an Ares company store sell Aztechnologies consumer products? The entire point of the setting is that hte Megacorps are vertically integrated and as such would never do that by definition.

Has always been a truly weird part of the setting.

In an arcolgy, sure, but there are plenty of people who don't live in a completely Corp controlled environment. Even in a situation like that it's not entirely out of the question for a particularly high performing or ranking worker to be granted the "privilege" of choosing to spend their scrip on a selection of pre-approved goods from a participating Corp.

Night10194 posted:

That'd be a fun origin for a PC. Someone who got roped into helping some Runners and did well enough that they stayed on afterwards.

Ex-Salaryman adrenaline junky!

The sourcebook "Market Panic" has that as a bit of world building fiction in it, it's honestly a good origin idea.

RudeCat fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 30, 2017

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Ya'll are talking about McHughs, home of the Hugh burger. Featuring a delicious grilled soy Patty with processed cheese flavored food and their proprietary Pick’ls. Don't forget the cassava fries! For their soy conscious patrons they also offer The Kriller, a shaped grilled krill patty. McHughs is known to be pretty safe for patrons, given that each location has chemical and metal detectors installed on the entrances and is rumored to have the air vents rigged with stun gas.

RabidWeasel posted:

How much difference is there between HK and DF in terms of game mechanics? Which out of the two (if any) would you recommend to play first if my end game desire is juicing myself up on an unholy combination of drugs / tech / magic poo poo and punching stuff so hard it explodes?

I'd recommend doing Dragonfall first, Hong Kong has some changes to how decking works, among other things, that may make it difficult to go back.

RudeCat fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 30, 2017

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Makes sense, the infected gotta eat. How else are they going to maintain that ghoulish figure?

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

Can ghouls eat their manburgers cooked?

I'm pretty sure they can, just has to be metahuman stock.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you couldn't use any of those abilities except in turn based mode either. If there was a way to use them from the menu during real time Matrix exploration, I never found it.

As for the code things, you just had to match the string with the right symbols in time, with the numberpad thing on the side just for giving you extra time to do so or something like that. I didn't realize numberpad thing was optional and you could just do the symbol decoding straight off the bat if you felt confident in your matching skills. I usually got it right the first time, but that was after doing the numpad thing.

I got really good at the numberpad part of the decking once I started repeating the numbers as they appeared in a kind of song in tune with the beeps and background music. I got a few odd looks from Mrs Trout but once I told her I was breaking ICE she understood.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

AceOfFlames posted:

What the hell is that glowing hose supposed to be FOR anyway?

Pipes for the Matrix

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

AmishSpecialForces posted:

I have a question about essence loss. A character in one of the later games Racter, the half-chrome psychopath in SR: Hong Kong found a way around the typical essence loss effects. What's stopping a TT group from announcing 'We're like that guy, we can have all the chrome no problem'? The character in question was pretty interesting but could be a one-of-a-kind deal.

Absolutely nothing is stopping them from doing it. If they want to play cyber super powers then more power to them. Arguably at that point you're no longer playing Shadowrun but who cares if everybody is having fun.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

ZiegeDame posted:

Does it have to be actual physical damage? Wouldn't it be more efficient to directly stimulate the pain center of their brain, and then keep them on high-tech life support so they don't have a heart attack or whatever? Actually letting them die seems like such a waste.

Now you're thinkin' like an executive!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

I didn't remember any mention of Sam getting more money when he had his "miracle" recovery, so my interpretation was that momma Watts might have been registered as an organ donor and committed suicide in order to save his life, causing Jessica to blame him for that, rather than Sam having an active role in it.

I always figured that she wanted Sam to have the liver and sold the rest of her organs to pay for Sam's surgery.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

This Universal Brotherhood sounds alright!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Freezoners is a pretty badass name to give your heretics.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

It really depends on the interpretation of the GM or the writer, but it's not as if shadowruns happen every day so it's usually not that exciting. I usually have guards be expected to patrol and report, not provide meaningful resistance to a 9 foot troll throwing a fridge at them. The more powerful and influential the place they're guarding, though, the more likely they are to be expected to stand and fight.

Is it a good job? It's probably not bad, I'd expect guards get a few more perks than a similar Corp employee, if only to help maintain high moral and loyalty.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

And now you're just killing guys working a 9 to 5 because you want to steal the stuff they're guarding. Which, you know, isn't a break with the setting in any way, but it is odd with the context of being the big hero who's trying to stop the apocalypse.

Remember, Shadowrun protagonists are "good guy adjacent"!

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

One thing I've just noticed, replaying the games- apparently 'Dandelion' is a racial insult for elves in Shadowrun. Thing is, I've called my elf 'Dandy Dan' after a Dark Heresy character concept that didn't pan out. How bad is this, in-universe?

It's perfect. You're doing it right.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The moment I lay eyes on Harlequin I hated him. Made it even worse when he forces himself on your team like that.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, I like Harlequin here which was probably noticeable in the update. Overall despite its blatantly fanservice-y nature, this whole part where you're just hanging out with some of the biggest names in Shadowrun is amongst my favorites across all three games. Not at the top by any means, but somewhere up there.

I've been waiting all LP to express my dislike of him but I'm glad that it could be a cool scene for people who were more "in the know" than I was.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Tiggum posted:

That's my biggest problem with these games. They start out telling you you're some worthless nobody who can never make a real difference but then it turns out you're actually the person who ends up saving the world. It's like, they had this opportunity to do something fairly unique with their games but then decided to just do what everyone else does anyway.

I kinda agree, I always really prefer the first half or so of the storyline in these games where you're doing your own thing for "pettier" reasons. Dead Man Switch especially where you're just following up on a lead initially because you have nothing else going for you. At least here the Brotherhood and the main character have already tangled a bit for lesser stakes so there's a personal "gently caress you" aspect to it as well.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

Glazius posted:

Fortunately for everyone involved, the Matrix went crazy over Milkshake Dragon, the wacky dragon who loved drinking milkshakes.

My milkshake dragon brings all the orcs to the yard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

FoolyCharged posted:

Magpies and vultures would probably have traits that would work for a corporate spirit.

Or you could bee literal and have a corp drone chill out with bee.

That sounds like a good way to get shot by accident. Spider is a legitimate totem but it doesn't take much for people to decide that you're just buggy enough to need to be put down.

• Locked thread