Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Voting for Elf as we get charisma bonus, which means we can pick specialties in knowledge/contacts which open up chunks of the story and get us more payout.
Female as going with the crowd.
Drones as they're nasty in combat, give us extra firepower, and are also Int based which is nice for what we run with.
Mara Jaded for name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
My thing was that ESP's were one off and -expensive-, so having to both put points into it and buy them as disposables was always painful for me so I never bothered with it.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I was kinda ambivalent on HK Decking, but that was mostly as I was flat out completely abysmal when it came to how you bypassed nodes and security (patrolling IP are -nasty- and hard to avoid) and a Matrix alert is actually dangerous

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Kanfy posted:

The bright side about being caught by one of the patrolling ICs in HK was that the game switching to turn-based mode made it real easy to slip through the rest of 'em. IIRC they don't follow you past "area" transitions either, so if you weren't at your goal yet you could just use your turn to move on to the next part instead of fighting them and accumulating alarm.

Oh, yeah. I was just really bad at it was all. And alarms going off made things nasty enogh couldn't just brute force your way through the system!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
In fairness in Seattle in the Sega Genesis Shadowrun game (which is set I think in the same year or so as this) one of the things you have is a Doc Wagon Trauma bracelet which puts out an alert for whne you get KO'd that dumps you at the hospital. There's no reason if you want a meta justification the runners on that team don't have it either as they're locals.

Sure they're out a payday and have hospital bills, but it's just a job.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
DocWagon (generally) hauls out anyone. That's not something you really want to mess with just as if it's not the other teams rear end on the line sometime, it could be your's. It's not something you want to put at risk for everyone.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I think the other games got the balance right bit more, but I still find this one rather fun. Rigger masskills by drones are the best.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Are support drones in general worth it? I never used them much in any of the games, by the time I got my rigger high enough I Just tended to use a main up to date drone and have an olderone and just go murderface using two of them at once.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Glory's brutal, particularly if you take her the pure melee route. Honestly, between her and Eiger you can handle almost everything the game throws at you if you're methodical. I use Blitz if my character isn't a decker, otherwise that pair can handle just about anything in the game.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
My general impression with corp security (at least on low level places) you run and hide, set off an alarm to call for backup, fire a quick shot ot put up a fight/get cover while scramble away. Because honestly Lone Star autopsy reports have a 'death by superior firepower' box on them - and do you really want to be the one to fill it when you see the troll hauling a gatling gun backed by a street mage that can throw fireballs? you do your job. You don't die for your job. If your job requires you to die for it either you are paid commeasurately and skille denough to do so, or you're a cultist/lunatic of a sort (which is also allowable because hey Renraku has REALLY GOOD LOBOTOMY HIRING PRACTICES)

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I have very vague memories of a Shadowrun game of second ed when I was in middle school of us being hired to steal a bunch of cows some high ranking corporate exec had to be slaguhtered for some sort of executive banquet one of the lower ranked execs hired us to steal to make him look bad. We got paid to beat some meat.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
One of the subplots of the old Sega Genesis Shadowrun game was Stopping the meltdown of a nuclear reactor which is roughly set in the same timeline of this game

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

painedforever posted:

Was Jake in the Sega game? Where was it set?

Jake was in the SNES Shadowrun game. The main character of the Genesis game was called Joshua. Both games were 'set' in Seattle roughly around the same time (within a year or so of one another in-universe). They had different themes - the Genesis game had Josha in Seattle investigating the murder of his brother. They didn't have a ton of overlap wtih the same locations or characters. They had different mechanics to them.

One of the things that the Genesis version had that the SNES game did not have as much of was lots of procedurally generated Shadowruns. A big part of the game was going on runs for various Johnsons to get nyuen, karma to unlock things. Story missions were a minor part of the game - a lot of it was dedicated to just base Shadowruns of a normal variety. Wasn't that bad.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Genesis game is set in 2058. SNES is set in 2050. Returns is set sometime in the middle. So I'm a bit off sorry.

But, the Genesis missions were fun. Also #$#! Tar Ice in Matrix runs.

What I enjoyed about the Genesis (focused on Shadowruns aside) was that you could go about things at your own order. The game had three main 'plots' you had to complete to get to the endgame and two subplots you could do that were purely optional but netted nice rewards if completed.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
HTR teams are expensive. All that time it takes to train them, equip them, etc. Sending 5-6 teams in presuming several of them die even with a moderate amount of intel costs a lot more than a million credits.

Plus, they're being sent in with Harlequin. Worst comes to worst, Harlequin goes down with the Runners. I'm sure that's very much a win in his book.

Also given the 'finale' seems to be merely hours after the Runner team has gotten the data, they've probably only had a very limited amount of time to make the prototype weapons. Presuming they only have enough to equip one team, why send a bunch of assault teams that have no way of fighting against the bugs other than as fodder? Runner team goes in first, dies but takes out some of the bugs. Gives you more time to make more prototypes and get more info on how well the bugs fight to brief your teams better.

So my take is 'only a few weapons available, Harlequin -insisted-, it's only a million credits to pay out presuming they do survive'..

It's not like a million credits is a huge amount for a megacorp either.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Well yeah you can totally leave, but then the man that is in a home with the very, very high end magic user, the in-setting legendary lord of chaos, and the right hand man of the Dragon that runs the second biggest corp on the planet are going to have WORDS.

You're in a room with one person who runs an AA Corp, the right hand man ofthe second biggest corp in the world (Yes I'm aware he's the head of it, in-universe most people don't know that distinction), and Harlequin is the most interesting of the bunch.

In-universe it's quite, quite possible that going into the abyss full of alien bug zombies from another dimension has a HIGHER chance of survival. Because do you WANT to say 'no' to Lofwyr when he is directly in the room?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Nice! Fun read, thanks for sharing.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yeah, you're doing great! Having played through Dragonfall and Hong Kong but not completed Returns, great to see it done.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Dunkel's will is possibly one of the greatest adventure supplements of all time bar none.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Drones are probably the best thing to use if you're not -good- at building characters. I'm really bad at the game and have no idea how to properly equip/spend karma. Drones are nice as they cover everything - extra firepower, extra guns.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Great to see this game through! Never copleted it myself. Nice job showcasing everthing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Dragonfall and Hong Kong are both very fun. Worth playing/getting.

• Locked thread