Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I was actually considering trying an LP of Dead Man's Switch back in December, but it fell through. I do agree with pretty much everything that's been said about this game- it's not bad, great in some places, but Dragonfall blows it out of the water. I actually was going to use nearly the exact same character voted for here- female Elf Decker, but with more of a focus on Rifles over Drones. There's just too much content that's locked behind Decker powers to be anything but for at least one playthrough.

I'm also the worst kind of Shadowrun fan- never even touched the pen and paper game, since Shadowrun's reputation as being nearly impossible to DM for means no one wants to lose their sanity. I've also had back luck at finding an online game for it.

Someone asked about Adepts earlier. They are pretty bad in this game, but became unholy killbots in Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

But I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this, given how much I loved this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Kanfy posted:

I did predict that the character would end up being female and a drone-user, but I was actually a little surprised about the popularity of elves since everyone always seems to complain that they're the worst. I was about 70% sure we'd up with a troll after I mentioned how they make for the worst Decker.

I guess when you have a setting where pretty much everybody is a dick, you might as well be a decent-looking one.

Elves also get a bonus to Charisma. Since talking is a huge thing in these games, that tends to make them a popular race.

That and, IMO, they're the best race for most builds.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm gonna suggest we name a drone Jade Rabbit

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

David Corbett posted:

This looks like fun, and it reminds me rhat I've got Dragonfall sitting around about 30 minutes into the game. Worth waiting this thread out to see how it goes before playing?

I'd say you should. Dragonfall is a legitimately fun game to play, and I'd rate it as one of the best games to come out in the last five years for its story alone.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd say Dragonfall had the most challenging first fight, since it pretty much tells you "Learn the game now or suffer."

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'd honestly recommend playing Returns first. Both for pragmatic (Playing in order means you appreciate the gameplay changes made and see steadily improving writing) and personal (This is a really good entry point into Shadowrun and makes getting into Dragonfall and Hong Kong a lot easier) reasons.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Bushmeister posted:

I don't think Shadowrun running normally is as much an issue as it is the game grinding down into a halt when you run into one of the (numerous) edge cases like grenades, spell interactions, spirits etc. where trying to decipher the atrociously edited rulebooks is gonna eat up your time.

Exactly. And then you also have to factor in Decker combat on top of gunplay, magic, edge, grenades, etc. One of the most consistent problems with the Shadowrun rulebooks has been horrific editing. If they even solved that, a lot of people would perk an ear and look into getting the books.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I knew you could save Gino, but only because I specifically looked it up after my second playthrough. AFAIK, we'll get some different dialogue with Coyote and that'll be it.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Just to put it into perspective for the non-Shadowrun players, Blood Magic is one of the biggest no-nos in the setting. Once you learn anything about it, I the DM can take your character sheet off you and make you roll a new character while your Blood Mage is turned into an NPC.

That Aztechnology uses it a lot is one of the reasons it's one of the most hated corps in the setting, and one of the most feared- if you leave any DNA samples behind you after a run, they can track you through it, and they're usually one of the Megacorps more likely to hunt Runners who work on their turf.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Even if it completely breaks the game, I might just look into the console next time I play Dragonfall and mod the game to let me bring all the companions. Has anyone ever done that before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't been making a lot of posts during the LP, but I've been enjoying the LP quite happily. I'd love to see you tackle Dragonfall and Hong Kong but those are much beefier games in general to tackle. Also I've not given Riggers enough credit it seems.

(Also just as a side post the stuff about the Will is part of the reason I adore Shadowrun)

• Locked thread