Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
SR:R was the first big thing I backed on Kickstarter, and I'm really happy with how it's come along since then. I've loved the setting since I first got my happy little hands on the 2nd edition book and designed so many street sams cause CYBERWARE.

I still have a soft spot for this game. Mechanics aside, it just felt right, everything is grimy and trashy and just has that "welp you're not rich get hosed" feel. Having Jordan Weisman at the helm really helped seal the deal when I backed it.

I'm really excited about their Battletech game coming out soon, and am hoping for Crimson Skies to get a reboot as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

Kanfy posted:

Concept art - Renraku Arcology Skyline

Ah the Renraku Arcology. Veterans of the tabletop game will remember this place fondly.

I love how this piece really nails the feel of the entire world. off in the distance with the bright sunlight, you have these gleaming massive complexes, which might not be too bad to live in. Immediate in the foreground, you have a road that desperately needs repair, and an old electrical pole that everything else has basically been nailed to because it's there. And then of course one of the corp buildings is on fire. You have to wonder how often those fancy places get hit with some sort of explosion/magical accident/etc considering the amount of runners being hired.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

mauman posted:

Well...

The game was never designed for standard saving and loading.

Wasn't saving/loading anywhere something they added in much later, and on release it was saved only on the beginning of a mission? I forget, but I swear there was some grumbling on that.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I always enjoyed the Corp names in front of everything. It shows that branding has gotten so out of control you just brand things without thinking about it, because it's part of the language at that point.

It's a fun part of one of the other cyber-punk games I play, The Sprawl, at the beginning you create the corporations that are interested in your characters for one reason or another. "Fisher Price & Wesson" was one of our best.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
The major failing/disappointment for me, at least at the time, was how the modding tools were there, but the scene for it never took off due to issues with setting up new adventures. I was really hoping die-hard fans would re-create the old published runs.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Kanfy posted:

We finally get access to Class B drones! :woop: Between this and the recent drone AP upgrade, Amazon's firepower has taken a significant leap. We'll take a more detailed look at what they're all about once we find some suckers to test them on. For now, know that they shall henceforth be known as Crow and Pascal.

I'm slightly disappointed there was no Crow/Servo combo going on here. MST3k may not be the biggest in retro-media though. I hope records of it survive post-crash.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

chiasaur11 posted:

Look, Pascal just seemed like the safer bet.

All is forgiven for this joke :love:

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Shannon is doing a real good thing. Since the spirit world is a real thing in Shadowrun, all those people in pain and suffering create one heck of a nasty astral area, and attract all sorts of very unwelcome things.

It's very ham-fisted how "evil" our villain is here, I'm glad future games took a little more nuance to how they wrote. That, and the fact that you have to "kill the crazies" really bothers me, considering that they aren't in control of their actions.

Edit: ^ Everything the chummer above me said as well

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thinking about it now, it would have been a great entry into the entire series. Shadowrun is just cyber-up'd noir at times, and having been betrayed by someone you thought was a friend is a staple of those stories.

RedMagus fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 26, 2017

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What's funny is all the talk about the world being so toxic that eventually horrors from outside come in and wipe everyone is pretty identical to what happens in a game of Dominions, from the LPs I've seen.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I can see blood magic being something in the game, but it should be treated as a an addiction that A) has the potential to blow up big in the party's face, and B) should really be used to drive home how bad it is suppose to be in-universe.

I think what makes it different from the "grenade in an enclosed room" style violence is that blood magic isn't just sticking a knife in a person, it's suppose to be very visceral, very personal, and in the end, very disturbing to everyone involved.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Was it ever explicit that Sam sold his mom for a payday and a new liver, other than the one loading screen? Been a while since I played.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Siegkrow posted:

That loading screen is made from the PoV of Amazon, not an all-knowing narrator, and she was just told by someone else that THAT was what Sam did, despite there being no other evidence for that.

Yea, told by someone who also is unhinged enough that they'd hire Dr. Creepy Mimic to reclaim organs. so I'd probably take that claim with quite a bit of salt, which is why I was curious if there was other evidence backing that up.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I was in Pike Place last week actually on vacation. The giant fish skeleton would of been an excellent addition to the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I remember being excited when the KS for this came out, and when I got it loaded on my PC. Flaws and all, it was still a great job to be running the shadows again, and I'm very happy with how the next two games turned out. The only disappointment I have is the modding scene never took off like I hoped, I expected tons of choices like back when Neverwinter Nights was still a thing.

• Locked thread