Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I did end up buying the game because of the LP, for what it's worth. Perhaps someday I may even be able to play it without the patches breaking some minor but irritating gameplay function. It is quite good in spite of that, however, and even more open-ended than one might guess from the LP. I explored a bunch of Deepnest before I even explored Soul Sanctum.

edit: I'll also add (although I've been trying to tune out most plot discussion since I started playing on my own), that the inversion of the light=good, dark=bad idea is cleverly done. Not the notion itself, which isn't particularly novel, but when your entire cast is bugs, it makes perfect sense. When you are a bug, Light is usually the precursor to getting splattered with a rolled up issue of Popular Mechanics. It is not your friend.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Nov 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Fair enough, I'm generalizing because I don't actually want to read deep into the discussion thus far before I play through the relevant parts of the game myself. We'll see if I can avoid getting sidetracked enough to catch up in time for the ending. Fortunately, they're keen to keep adding DLC fights to slow you down! :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well I was kidding before, but I actually am catching up pretty quick. Is there anything required for the True End beyond reassembling that charm? (Including all the running around required to do that, of course, which does add up to an awful lot of hoops to jump through.)

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Good thing too, because I already destroyed the one in Deepnest and I would be super pissed if it turned out that locked me out of the True Ending after all this time. Also Deepnest sucks and I hate it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

The White Palace also sucks and I hate it, even more than Deepnest. I'd be more charitable had they not decided you needed the constant drone of giant centipedes and whirling buzzsaws in your ears while playing through.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Notice you're not disagreeing with me about Deepnest tho'. :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I interpretation of the Seer's dialogue was literal: whatever the Radiance actually is, being forgotten is the same to it as dying (or at least imprisonment). Somehow though--and the exact reason why doesn't actually matter--a tiny piece of it remained to influence the dreams of Hallownest. The more they dream of it, the more they remember it, and the light starts seeping back in through the cracks. I'll modify what I said earlier and put forward that it may well have been benign, or at least neutral, before the King sealed it. However, now that its effectively rising from the grave, well... Zombies are famously unconcerned with the well being of those they come across.

I do not mean that it is a literal zombie, work with me here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'm pretty sure it actually is the plot of Dead Rising 2.

Highwang posted:

ZOMBIE LIGHT LEAVE THIS PLACE!
Yeah alright, I guess I asked for that. Lemme try a different way of putting it--say you're thrown into a pitch-black oubliette where you can't see a thing and you're utterly alone, also for the purpose of this hypothetical you are some kind of immortal being and you can't die or kill yourself. You want to escape. After the first several centuries you need to escape. Several centuries after that you're at the point where you're just throwing yourself against the wall because gently caress it, you can't die either way and sooner or later you'll batter your way through. What's that? Your constant battering against the wall knocked the vials of bubonic plague off the shelf next door? Too fuckin' bad, oh well, so sad.

Whoever or whatever you were when you got tossed in there, now all you are is a thing that wants out and no longer care what kind of damage it causes or who gets hurt in the process. Why should you care anyway? Those assholes all forgot you even existed! Anyway it's all the fault of the jerk who locked you in here in the first place! Basically,

(I welcome anyone who wants to do a not-poo poo job of this)

• Locked thread