Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Dog Kisser posted:

You better believe there's gonna be plays on words. After all, they don't know what the steel drums are, so the place can't be named after that. They just assume they're the hollow carcasses of enormous bugs, like most of the buildings in the actual game.

See, I always assumed that the people of Hallownest just had a really weird sense of architectural aesthetics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

The bestiary for those things is actually pretty interesting.
They are a sentient slave/livestock caste. "If one of them begs for it's life, just ignore it. They have nothing to bargain with."
Bug society may have had some flaws.

The Hunter isn't really very representative of (Hallownest) bug society. He holds most of Hallownest in a mixture of contempt and puzzlement. That said, there are little tidbits all over suggesting that the ethics of bug society are not...quite ours.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
They actually do hint at the existence of other bug kingdoms. Cornifer and Iselda came from beyond, among others.

The Howling Cliffs seems to either be the true "end of the world," or that warning was written before the rest of the bug kingdoms existed.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

bingsu posted:

Man the Abyss was one of the creepiest places that I had ventured into. The lack of ambient music and the fact you're heading into a giant, monochrome abyss populated with ghosts doesn't help much, and it's only heightened by the dawning realization of just what the Pale King did to try and preserve Hallownest.

Anyways, have some nice comics!

While the King was pretty drat ruthless and amoral, in fairness we gotta remember he was up against quite possibly the end of all sapience according to the White Lady, at least in his own realm. Messing with the primordial Void is certainly a dangerous thing, but it's an understandable line of logic.

Also something to note: the huge statue? bug corpse? holding the vessel of darkness in the very depths of the Abyss did have a reaction to the Dream Nail. It may not be strong enough yet, but there is a mind, or a will, that can be plumbed there.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Genocyber posted:

The Abyss is probably the area of the game that was influenced most directly by Dark Souls and definitely benefits from it. Usually when a video game talks about the dark it's the Kingdom Hearts-esque "DAAAAAARKNEEEESSS" sort of thing, but Dark Souls and related titles go for more "this is a living thing that is quite dangerous but not inherently bad or evil." Also the overall aesthetics that Dark Souls and Hollow Knight here especially use, giving it a more organic feel, is rad as hell.
Another thing: notice that light and dark aesthetics are inverted here. Soft light and shadow is aligned with the forces of civilization, as embodied in the King and the Queen. Darkness is portrayed as primordial, but also sheltering - which makes sense. They're bugs.

And harsh light is aligned with the plague.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Lord_Magmar posted:

In regards of the White Lady she's almost certainly some kind of plant and I suspect she hasn't roots all over Hollownest, maybe when she wants to move she regrows the speaking bit in a new location? In any case I wonder if the Dream Nail Trees are part of her body, would explain why they have knowledge and Bardoon proves that Dream Nail can get different responses from different body parts.

I also have a suspicion as to the Idea planted within the Chosen Hollow Knight based on the statue of him but I might hold off until we know more in general.

Also also it's interesting that nobody calls the main character Hollow Knight, instead it's ghost of spirit etc.

We've actually seen her roots before. Remember Kingdom's Edge? Those luminous roots all throughout the place?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
I'm not sure that the King's greed doomed Hallownest, as such. The way I see it, the Hollow Knight may well be infused with the will of the King. The thing is, whether or not the Vessel has any desires of its own is an open question. However, the King's last thoughts are literally: "No cost too great."

Given how he was willing to sacrifice everything else, he may well have sacrificed himself to create the Kingsbrand.

Throwing a wrench in this, too, is the fact that the Vessel is supposed to be monomaniacally focused on the infection, but you as the player can show independent initiative with sidequests that don't contribute to ending it at all. So is the Vessel truly hollow? Or did the King make a mistake and accidentally doom multitudes of Siblings to death and suffering by assuming he could create a being without a will?

I also think you're being a bit more negative on the King than is intended. While he's a flawed being, he's portrayed as meaning well and mostly building a decent society, he just messed up. A lot.

Also, the DLC's Path of Pain has some...interesting implications for the relationship between the King and the original Vessel, and why the Vessel may have failed.

That said: White Palace is such a pain in the rear.

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 31, 2017

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
The weird thing about the White Palace mechanically is that as Highwang says the actual feel of the place isn't hostile. It's soft, warm, and wistful. The "saws and spikes EVERYWHERE" mechanics aren't really a good fit for an area that should remind you of the lost grandeur of Hallownest at its height.

Compare to the City of Tears, and indeed most places in the game.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
And your memory is explained by the wastes beyond the Howling Cliffs. You traveled beyond, lost your memory, and have returned after many journeys.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Highwang posted:

Huh. Never thought of it that way.

Also I wouldn't call the dark "good" but rather an ambivalent/neutral party. From what we've learned so far, the abyss/dark is just a resource that gets used. It doesn't seem to have sentience or morality.

It does seem sort of a primordial force of creation and life? A primordial soup, as it were.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Glazius posted:

I like Quirrel's story here. I don't know if he died as much as left his nail behind and went somewhere to be a scholar. It seems that the world is vast, if desolate.

I'd be willing to bet he left, but yes. Although it's worth noting that travel does seem to be, in at least some places, dangerous to the mind. Remember the glyph outside the Howling Cliffs and how it said proceeding further would erase one's mind or memories? Travel between kingdoms is obviously possible, but it doesn't seem easy.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Highwang posted:

A lot of the graves in the Resting Grounds, alongside the Warrior Dreams basically confirm the existence of other cities. The main thing is that we don't know if they were made before or after White King granted the bugs intelligence. I feel like it had to be before the imparted intelligence because as someone else mentioned there's a sign that outright says you lose your individuality if you leave Hallownest.

In fairness, it could be that A: those carvings are referring specifically to the Hollow Knights and other "higher beings", or B: that desert is particularly special?

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
I personally hold to the interpretation that the Hollow Knight is struggling to help you during the boss fight. It's the body language, especially the way the Radiance just picks it up and slams it around during its second- and third-phase ground pound attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011

Dancer posted:

I forget where, but I'm fairly confident I was reading a discussion on some HK canon, and people there were saying that nightmare stuff is distinctly different from dream stuff. It's a "different type of magic" because it just isn't "dream magic"

Something to note. If you go to the White Lady with Grimmchild, she has a comment on it - she refers to it as an attempted usurper, and says "Hallownest will never accept so strange a king" or something like that. So Grimm's ritual does seem to be laying claim to the conquered realm, in a way.

• Locked thread