Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

siotle posted:

I'll give you Tassadar, but Artanis is pretty far from top tier.
And I thought it was only Reddit that thought Tassadar was going to be a meme.

Artanis was dominating immediately after his rework, at the top or near top of win rates for a month or so. He got nerfed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I like Hanamura the full map more than Hanamura the brawl. There, I said it.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Caeks posted:

Going to piggy back on this - Dragon Blade MIGHT be a good pick with a build revolving around blade dash, but I have yet to try it out. I've experiment quite a bit with Genji (as some of you may attest to) and one of the main problems with blade, as opposed to x-strike, is that it completely negates any shuriken talents during it's duration. Seeing as how his shuriken-build is so strong, taking Dragon Blade actually feels counter-productive.

Sure, x-strike can be a bitch to land, but with some practice I've seen a HUGE improvement in my Genji play. As well, to land it better, I customized quick casting so that the ult launches when I RELEASE R, instead of when I press it. I can't stress enough that if you have problems landing x-strike, you may want to try changing the hotkey/quickcasting on Genji in particular.

Is the shuriken build really that good? It feels very low-impact to me when I play that build, but I'd be interested in hearing what you feel is so strong about it.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

SKULL.GIF posted:

These fun brawls are more fun when you're actually coordinating with your team instead of walking into 1v5s and instantly dying.

You're not wrong but there's a middle ground between your image and clockwork military precision.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Coolness Averted posted:

Yeah, but you have to admit in addition to the solo-queue dude who rages about everything, there's a huge chunk of people who say "relax it's <anything but the blizzard invitational championships>" any time you suggest actually trying to win rather than just 5 people loving off and doing whatever.

Like I totally get brawl is the last place to rage about people playing suboptimally, but not everyone views HoTs or Overwatch as an idleclicker where all that matters is you get your box of sprays after the game runs long enough.

Oh, absolutely. Will not argue that for one second. There are plenty of people at both ends of that spectrum that are infuriating.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I haven't tried many of them, but Gazlowe is fun.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Opinion question, sort of related to the earlier discussion about effort levels and co-ordination. Am I a jerk for often not enjoying or wanting to engage in preforms with people of vastly different skill levels than my own? The situation that got me thinking about it was one with new/out of practice players, but the same really also applies to players vastly better than I am like JamesChrist or MisterHill. I will never, ever claim to be a hot poo poo HotS player, and I will certainly not bag on or yell at someone for being new. I find it so much more engaging, however, to play with and against people of similar skill that I just don't want to spend time in 4 or 5-stacks of people with vastly different experience/ability levels.

I feel weird about this, I don't want to exclude or ostracize people but I also don't want to sacrifice my fun for other people all the time.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Kyrosiris posted:

I already have properly coordinated loadouts; I just also want to be able to play Chromie Roulette.

The most dangerous game of them all.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

BrianBoitano posted:

The gently caress? :v:

You're better than me. I get that and see no reason to pretend otherwise.

Coolness Averted posted:

But keep in mind playing with and against better players can be a good way to learn things as long as it's not someone too toxic or you're not so outplayed there's no room for learning.

It's also very common to see goons duck out of grups when they see that. Sometimes politely, sometimes with a raging 'ironic' "gently caress you all!"

Yeah, I agree on both of these points. I'm not saying everyone has to be my equal exactly, and I feel playing with people in different skill ranges has made me better overall. But sometimes I just don't want that. I will never give the gently caress you, but I will duck out of groups that are unsatisfying. In fact it was doing that that that got me thinking on the topic.

On another note entirely, playing Kael'thas in QM is often an exercise in pain and respawn timers. I will never stop chasing that rare but wonderful Living Bomb dragon, though.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 7, 2017

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I've heard the ETC bot can be an absolute monster, though I don't know that I've seen it happen myself.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

chumbler posted:

Mortal strike debuff as a way to counter healing is always the worst fix to it.

Second worst, after mana drain.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

chumbler posted:

Yeah the "Nobody plays support because they want MLG pro kda" argument is usually not true. Nobody wants to play support because it means losing a ton of ability to influence the outcome of the game due to how narrowly supports are typically made.

Yeah, I agree with this. Now, Lt. Morales is my most-played single hero by a large margin, so I'm definitely not exactly the average here. But even as someone who ENJOYS healbotting, there are a lot of times I get frustrated at having basically zero wave clear, merc ability, etc. I certainly don't need Sylvanas-level PvE on every character, but like you and others have said it gets old to lose so much of that ability to influence.

I love making green bars fill, but I love having well-rounded characters too.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Coolness Averted posted:

I like the idea of different support characters having different niches, which for some is "strong heals and damage mitigation, but little other contribution" The whole "Make them all Tyrande or Tassadar" school of thought would make me stop playing support. I'll also admit I never play Morales unless I'm in enough of a stack that I know I'm not going to be soloing a lane.

It's deceptive to say the heal focused supports don't influence the game. I mean they rarely are the flashy playmaker, but Morales keeping say a hammer up and out of your range or making sure the fight dragged on until you ran out of mana IS a strong impact.
The whole "Make it more rare/costly" argument some bring up also leans towards the making the real source of healing the ults which is boring. I like being able to choose my ult, not always taking the heal just in case. Which with a solo support is almost always what you take because no random pub takes their survival talents if there's a support.

You and Poultron absolutely do have a valid point here. You're entirely correct that heals are a valid influence in and of themselves, and not every character needs to be good at everything. On some level it's just me having wishful thinking, because if Morales had average wave clear why the gently caress would I personally ever want to play anything else? She'd be my perfect hero. I agree, I do not want them all to be Tyrande and Tassadar. I'm just dreaming of being a solo queue superstar, I suppose.

lordfrikk posted:

Is it just me or is Varian really oppressive in QM? Seems like now that everyone defaults to the shield wall build you better have a crap load of CC or you're in for a bad time.

It's not just you, Blizzard knows this and they're reclassifying him as a tank as far as matchmaking goes in an upcoming patch.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Zaodai posted:

I mean it's just going to take Varian from being oppressive to the enemy team to oppressive to his own team because it will be assumed he's a tank when half the people in QM aren't going to play him that way.

So it is more complex than that. But the people that are complaining after the change are a different set of complaints, so they can say they did something about the old problem and will work on a fix for new one. It's like tech support! Oh, your computer is on fire now? Well you called in about your printer not working, so when you get your computer to not be on fire, call back but for now I'm closing your ticket.

I agree with you, but better a dumbass Varian screws his own team than gets easy mode over the enemy team.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Zaodai posted:

I would disagree, as I feel the point is largely that a champion should be an asset to their team, so they probably should have dealt with his matchmaking issues in other ways, but ultimately QM is QM and you're going to get clown fiestas from time to time in one direction or the other, so it doesn't really change much in that regard.

If he's loving one team over, whether it is the friendly or enemy team, you're going to be on the team that gets hosed over about half the time. So now it just lets you be like "aw, it's a goddamn Varian!" when he's on your team instead of theirs. :v:

Straight up, I think the multiclass thing was a bad idea, as far as QM matchmaking goes at the very least. A cool concept that has a whole host of problems attached to it. You're absolutely correct that someone should be an asset to their team and not a detriment. I think as the Blizzard poster said, "the other team cannot opt out." At least Varian's teammates have ten levels to convince him to go tank. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't. But I can never, ever make a Lunara go tank no matter what I say or do. Zero times out of one hundred.

You're completely right that they should have solved it in other ways. Probably before they ever launched Varian. This is not the ideal fix but 50 games out of 100 where Varian goes tank to meet a tank on the other team is better than the 100 games out of 100 where the other team has tank Varian and we have Lunara, etc.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Best solution is probably similar to what Zaodai said and forcing a lock in of their level 10 choice when they queue (for QM only) then matchmaking based off that. Not going to happen, but would be nice.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

HelixFox posted:

Tyrande is a bigger issue imo. She has a pretty good solo heal build that is wildly unfair to play against when you have no healer. Her QM win rate is 5-8% higher than in Hero League (depends on build but all are higher). And she still does reasonable damage!!

Isn't she in the "lite healer" category now where she will almost always be matched against someone similar like Tassadar, Abathur, or Zarya? Not that that doesn't create issues in and of itself but I think they are trying there too at least.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

BrianBoitano posted:

Hanamura. Hana is D.Va's real name.

D.Va and Hanamura map both confirmed uneven.

When she says "Nerf this" it is not a taunt, but a desperate cry for help, a deep longing to be fair and equal in power to her opponents.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

W.T. Fits posted:

Except then you have the players who bitch about him no longer being a flex pick when that was the whole point of making him "multiclass" to begin with.

Those are the players we politely but firmly tell to get bent because they just want to pub stomp via a matchmaking loophole.

Kai Tave posted:

The real, actual problem with Varian is that he highlights how a game that's designed around bans and drafts fares poorly balance-wise when you just throw everyone into a game blind. Much like the whole argument around stealth characters, the problem isn't really the characters themselves, it's that quickmatch lacks any of the checks and balances of any given draft mode.

Also this but I don't know how you fix that at this point on the broad scale level.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 8, 2017

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

While I 100% agree that fun should be banned and Blizzard should feast on the playerbase's increased suffering as a whole, neither Cho'gall nor stealth are actual balance issues. Just things that people like to whine about.

Raynor only, Spider Queen, no items.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Hoooooly gently caress.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Kai Tave posted:

Butcher is pretty feast or famine depending on how well you're able to farm stacks but yeah, I can see him being a big snowball for teams that can't punish him early and often. Do the Lost Vikings give five meat each? God forbid some poor team with Murky + TLV goes up against a Butcher that takes Abattoir.

I haven't played Butcher a lot in the last couple of months, but as I recall each viking does, Cho'gall gives 10, and Misha MIGHT give five as well.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

I actually had a Hanamura game go to level 22 last night. Longest I've seen on that map by far.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Gustav posted:

Who are these people who play this poo poo map that ends in 12 minutes with zero team fights and think "this is good, I want more of this". I guess we get the maps we deserve.

Man I don't know what bizarro version of Hanamura you're playing but it sounds a lot shittier than the one in my reality. Here there are plenty of back and forth team fights over the payloads and while it runs a little faster than most maps it usually hits level 17 or 18 at least.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Poultron posted:

Am I a bad person if I don't want to practice Malfurion even though he's strong right now and I main support

No, he's really loving boring to play.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

bamhand posted:

Landing roots is super fun. AoE silence to counter a dive is even more fun.

I feel like they should be, but I don't know. I just find no joy in playing Malfurion, and I'm someone who even likes the character game mechanics aside. He just doesn't click with me at all. Less than any other support.

In other news, I've been playing around with a Drain Life build for Gul'dan. While I certainly can't claim it's better or more useful than a Corruption or even a Fel Flame build, it is a fun gently caress around variation to eat souls with.

exquisite tea posted:

He's no Lt. Morales, that's for sure.

I honestly don't know if this is a dig or not, but for whatever reason I find Morales way, way, way more interesting to play.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 8, 2017

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I managed to lose a Hanamura match up 4-1 the other day so with god anything is possible

Just now had the same goddamn thing happen because out butcher refused to get anywhere near the team or the payload we needed to win until the rest of us were all dead. Enemy won a 4v5, pushed their own carts, capped boss and won.

I don't flame people but I just had to hold myself back really hard from a tirade of cursing at him in whispers after the game.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Snipe Master stacks no longer lost from hitting non-heroes. Interesting.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Tyrande rework looks potentially promising, but a lot seems to be riding on her consistently landing attacks. Her level 20s look loving amazing. Still probably going to suck as a solo support. Anxious to try it out.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Now that they're fixing the hearth thing them doing a tooltips pass would be my next wishlist item.

Yeah, a clarity and consistency pass would be nice indeed.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Primetime posted:

My favorite example of this is Tassadar's auto attack talent at level 1. When you complete the quest your range goes up by "1". One what?

That one seems entirely obvious to me given the context of the buff, but if you aren't familiar with the mechanics of the game I suppose it's a lot less clear, yeah. One range unit. Standard ranged AA range is 5.5, Tass is 6.5, and if he completes that it's 7.5.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

blastron posted:

It's on talents. Brightwing can grant it with Pixie Dust at level 13, Ragnaros and Li-Ming both have talents that give them charges when they land skillshots, and I think there's a couple more that I'm not remembering.

Samuro has it on his level 4 talent Mirage. I agree with you, as well. Either amazing when it blocks a bulky attack or useless when it blocks one tick of a DoT.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Well sample size of one match but I felt like I kicked rear end with it. With the faster move speed I was running down people trying to escape fights

It's good if they don't have a lot of hard CC to break it, yeah. You can beat down pretty much anyone without a stun, silence, or strong escape tool.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Have they said anything about WHY they're removing Heliotropics? Seems kind of out of the blue as a nerf choice.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

The only maps I truly dislike are Battlefield and Mines. Other than that, they all have good and bad aspects to me.

That aside, loving this balance patch. Huge buff/QoL change to Snipe Master and small buff to Unending Hatred? I love both those talents, sign me up!

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

beejay posted:

Continuing the fine tradition of posting a screenshot with no obvious problems and insinuating there's problems.

I assume the problem is Rexxar as the only warrior vs ETC and Jo, but yeah. If you have a four stack with Rexxar as your only warrior, I kind of feel you should expect that to happen.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Other than the fact that I don't like the choices they've made (give me Mercy or Torbjorn any day) the only OW character that has bugged me once they've had their initial balance tweaks is Zarya. I'm not even 100% sure why, since I love shields and absorbs as a concept. It's entirely feelycraft on my part, she just feels like she detracts from matches she's in to me.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Avalerion posted:

Mercy and Thorbjorn are unlikely because they would be thematically too similiar to Morales and Gazlowe I think. Thorb's kit would be pretty easy to transfer if they were willing to add another turret hero though.

Oh I fully agree. They're just who I would like, I don't think they're high on the likely list.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

W.T. Fits posted:

Dear Blizzard

Please make a Blackheart announcer pack so that I can have the best default announcer on all the maps instead of just Blackheart's Bay.

Also, consider making the other Nexus default announcers their own separate announcer packs, too, if you feel like it.

But definitely make a Blackheart announcer pack.

This and also a Raven Lord vs Grave Keeper announcer pack for all maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Spudd posted:

We've got four elements of Mage now right? Karl'thas fire, Jaina frost, Li-Ming arcane and Gul'Dan fel. I'd really like Khadgar to be a hero with dad jokes for every other hero but I don't know what mage he would be.

Fel is warlock, thank you. Not mage.

Khadgar could be a more traditional take on a Warcraft arcane mage. PBAoE, stacking blasts, etc. He could be other things too. In WoW he uses his staff like a baseball bat to launch arcane spheres, that could be cool.

He could just whip Apexis Crystals at people.

Mind over Matter fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 12, 2017