Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nice, they finally made it so I can set Shift+RightClick to be attack move and turn off Shift modifier being queued commands. That was like half my issue with trying to play HOTS right there.

Still hate trying to find my white cursor on white ground tiles in the middle of bright blue explosions on some maps, but what can you do. Played my 5 games for rewards, bought Tank bundle and Gul'Dan Steve and man is he fun. It does amaze me that people have absolutely zero teamfight capability or map awareness. I haven't played HOTS in like a year, and I don't know most of the maps, but I can get the concept of "go to the giant glowy thing and kill people with my team". :v:

Muradin feels less fun than I remember him being, though. I think they reworked some of his talents. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kai Tave posted:

This is probably a dumb question but how do you reconfigure move and attack-move controls? I spent a good 20 minutes going through options last night but I couldn't find how to redo those controls, just the hotkeys for abilities and the like.

If you don't want to use a modifier key, you can just do it from the "Hotkeys" menu under Basic (select the A button, and it will give you your attack move options even if you don't want it to be A).

If you want Shift+RightClick, you have to set it manually in your Commands config file that I can't remember off the top of my head, but will be happy to post when I get off work if nobody has sniped me by then. To get it to work right you need to go in to ADvanced and unbind Shift as your Queue Commands key, and then bam you're done after those two changes.

[EDIT] Yes, it took me like half an hour of fiddling to figure this stuff out. I am slow. :saddowns:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kai Tave posted:

This is probably a dumb question but how do you reconfigure move and attack-move controls? I spent a good 20 minutes going through options last night but I couldn't find how to redo those controls, just the hotkeys for abilities and the like.

Home now.

On a windows machine, go to your Documents -> Heroes of the Storm -> Accounts -> <string of numbers representing your account> -> Hotkeys and then click on the text file representing your custom hotkey profile. If one doesn't show up, just go rename a profile in game, even if you don't change anything it should show up.
Then under the "Hotkeys" section, this is how I have my attack move set up:
CommandButton10=A,Shift+RightMouseButton
That line probably won't exist on its own, just add it and set it to whatever you want and save the file. You'll want to be sure HOTS is closed while you're modifying it obviously.

Then you just go in game and unbind Shift as your Queue Command modifier, and bam, you're good to go. Add the option to make auto attack target what is near your cursor rather than your hero if you prefer that like I do, that's just a checkbox in options.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Macaluso posted:

So if you do the tutorial again, you get a loot box, is that what I'm reading? I'm not seeing anything on the screen saying you get one. Or is it only the veteran one?

I did the tutorial again last night and didn't get a box, so I don't know if it's true or not.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I got my first Legendary and my first two heroes from boxes tonight. The legendary was a duplicate mount of one I'm pretty sure I got for free in the first place (the unicorn?) and I owned both the champs.

Thanks, Blizzard. :geno:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Mind over Matter posted:

I mean we won so I can't chastise it too much, it just twitched something really hard in my brain.

Unrelated topic. Does anyone have realistic, reasonable advice on how to be less of a sore loser? I don't rage out or flame people or anything, but I know I let losses get to me way more than I should in a competitive PvP game. Logically I understand they're going to happen, half the time or more. But I don't know how to take that logic to heart so well. :smith:

I get around this in HOTS by not taking it seriously to start with, because League is my tryhard game and HOTS is just my drunken clown fiesta Mash Buttons as Gul'Steve game.

That said, I found that in league it helped to both remind myself that if the matchmaker is doing its job, I should lose about half my games including random troll poo poo where someone AFKs or whatever, and then assuming any game I queue for is already a loss. So you go in with no pressure, and if you win, then hey pleasant surprise. It helps you focus less on results and more on your own play, which is really the only thing you can control. Friends have gotten around it by picking one aspect to focus on training each game. Last hitting (not applicable here, sadly), team fights, map awareness & objective control, etc, and then judging their game on how well they do in that area rather than strict victory or defeat.

There are gains to be made every game, even if you lose. Look for those, they'll make you feel better.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kylra posted:

I haven't looked at hots for a while, but I saw the free hero thing and was wondering if any of the packs were particularly better other than "get the one with the least amount of characters you already have".

The Flex pack has the biggest diversity, that's about it.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kylra posted:

I already have a good number of heroes across each role, so I'll probably just pick whichever I have least of if there's no particular standout pack.

Yeah, if you already have all your bases covered either pick the one that has the most champions you don't own (best value) or the one that has the most champions you want to play (FUN VALUE).

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah, I snagged the Assassin one because I'd already been looking at buying either Gul'dan or Valla with gold, so when the pack was like "hey, you can have both of those, plus some other stuff", I was sold. :v:

Gul'Steve is the most fun I've had in this game, full stop. No other champion is even close. A shame he only has one ultimate, but it's actually a pretty good one. I don't know if the build I run is even "good" but man is it fun.

Is the quest that makes Corruption bounce back 3 additional times the best level 1 talent? I always run that, improved Life Tap, healthstone, that one that makes Fel Flame lower corruption cooldown, and the bonus damage for each hit corruption lands, and the Horrify talent that makes it reduce armor.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Nice, that talent pop up thing wasn't intentional. I'm the guy who didn't realize he had earned a talent without a giant flashing thing pointing at it. :downs:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

People who want counterpicking literally want Draft mode. If you play blind pick, then you've willingly picked clown fiesta mode for fun, just like any MOBA.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

What is the middle ground where you magically get to counterpick but there isn't a draft? You realize if you can see their team, and they can see yours, nobody is going to pick until the last possible second so they can wait for counterpicks, right?

That's why it's blind pick in the first place in other MOBAs.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Piggy Smalls posted:

Decided to play the game and wondering if there is a bundle I can buy that will help me progress as a noob? Is there a hero to use a lowbie?

Flex bundle is probably the best if you're new. Honestly at that point, just try some champions out in co-op games and find ones you like. A few of the champions are more complex than others, but mostly it just comes down to who you like.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Gustav posted:

Valeera is certainly the most frustrating of the stealthies. When you see the blur it's usually too late since she covers a lot of ground and has a stun, so you have to watch minimap 100% of the time and go sit in gate the second she disappears from it. Perfectly manageable, but not very fun.

Valeera runs in to the same issues Rengar always does in League. If his damage (or ratios) are high enough to be meaningful, he becomes an unstoppable cruise missile that is eliminating at least one person from the game. Riot keeps making burst champions, then deciding "burst has no counterplay" and nerfing them. Add in a stealth mechanic and it is always going to be unpopular to the general victim pool populace. The proper play becomes "poo poo your pants in terror, but pre-preemptively."

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Kai Tave posted:

I mean the entire point of my apparently "smug nerd" post wasn't even that stealth is fine git gud, it's that bursty stealth assassins are always going to rub people the wrong way in a mode where there's no such thing as counterpicking unless I guess you preemptively slampick Tassadar every time you QM, but Blizzard apparently keeps making them so :shrug:

Yeah, basically. Stealth definitely exacerbates it though. I guess my point was that it is an issue in every MOBA, and they never really learn their lesson. So more likely, rather than buff Valeera back up, they'll make another burst assassin that is slightly different, that will murder people brutally, and then get nerfed.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They should replace the shimmer with voice clips of the stealth hero constantly talking poo poo about nearby opposing players, and about how super-balanced stealth is and if you don't like it you're a big anti-stealth bigot who needs to check your privilege and :gitgud:.

It would have the added benefit of the stealth players getting to be even more of an aggressive oval office than under the old system.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Why do people keep saying mobas, the acronym is FARTS (Free Action Real Time Strategy)

Or as might be more appropriate for such a stealth-blessed game, ASSFAGGOTS.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

SirSamVimes posted:

Yes, I was just replying to someone who seemed to think Lei Shen was a panda.

Maybe Lei Shen self-identifies as a panda. You don't know! :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

chumbler posted:

Honestly I don't know wow lore past part of wrath. I just assumed the leader of the pandas would be another panda.

He wasn't the leader of the Pandas. The Mogu were basically giant stone monglians, and they kicked the poo poo out of the pandas (and everybody else) and enslaved them. Until one of the slaves spontaneously taught himself kung fu, which he taught to the other slaves, and they rose up and killed all the giant stone men, somehow.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Philip Rivers posted:

I'm just waiting for the first MMOBA to rake in a trillion dollars in microtransactions

League of Legends would have a good chance of hitting that goal. I say that even as a League player who has given them money.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The problem with PvE content in a MOBA framework is that the replayability of a MOBA comes from not necessarily knowing whats coming next. So your abilities don't change, but in other MOBAs your or the enemy's item build might, or in this game Talents. The enemies change, the comps change, the players who play them all change.

Raid style content relies on things specifically NOT changing so that you can herd your group of cats through the fights. So with 4-6 buttons, it's going to get "solved" and stale very fast.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Last Stand was fun, and I hope they come out with it for Dawn of War 3 at some point. So sure, if they add gearing and persistence and stuff to HOTS to make a Last Stand style entirely different game, I'd play that. No doubt.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

I spent way too much money on this game prior to 2.0 so it feels like half my legendary drops are just "400 shards!"

Literally all of my Legendary drops have been 400 shards. And all of my free heroes have been shards. On the plus side, it let me pick up a couple of the cheap 100 shard skins without feeling like I'm wasting anything. So I got a skin I liked for Gul'Steve and one for Varian where he has a bitchin' hat, and I still have like 1400 shards or something.

[EDIT] And the only money I've spent prior to 2.0 was 1 skin for Mauradin and that initial newbie bundle of champs you could get cheap way back when.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 2, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Can someone let me know what the rewards are for this weeks overwatch event tie in thingy and what the requirement to unlock them are?

I'm at work so I can't check the official source.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Deckard Cain for support, where one of his buttons identifies random items for you to give to teammates to give them buffs and/or actives. Everybody loves RNG in their game, right?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Midnightghoul posted:

Gul'dan will never be in the game, there is a Gul'dan skin for Azmodan

That's at least a little different in that Azmodan has 4 legs and is like twice the size of actual Gul'dan. Even at a glance you would never mistake them.

Zaodai fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 3, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Do we have a Lich hero? Bouncy Frost ultimate. :getin:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Macaluso posted:

Khadgar rules and is better than literally every character in Diablo and Starcraft and most of WoW so this checks out.

He should really have an announcer pack where he does dad jokes and puns the whole match

He really is such a smug gently caress in the latest expansions for WoW. It's a shame how kind of backhandedly racist he is if you're playing horde. He's not a KKK out-and-out hatemonger kind of racist, more that weird unintentional "you are a credit to your race" kind of deal. There's a quest chain in legion where he defends you to the rest of the Kirin Tor, and through the ENTIRE quest chain on the Horde side, he never addresses you by name, or by class. It's always "your kind", as he, in grandfatherly tone, explains why the Kirin Tor aren't entirely wrong for hating you based on your race.

I mean, it's still funny, it's just odd to see.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The 9 extra guys get called in Captain Commando style during the ultimate.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

skipThings posted:

How about Duriel, with an auto attack ice slow as his passive trait ?

And a charge that one shots you.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BrianBoitano posted:

Duriel ultimate: the next time you appear on enemy's screens, they lag for a full 5 seconds.

He's not just stealthed, he's completely incorporeal for 5 seconds, so you can't possibly stop him.

I mean, if you don't see him on your minimap, you should just play as if he's standing right behind you.
:goonsay:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't know if he still does, but when I played Mauradin back when the game first came out, his ability to throw himself into combat and stun people or to Lee Sin ult people for disruption saved an awful lot of baddies.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That's why you have numbers after your Battlenet name, so that they're unique even if people have the same name.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Horrify is an AoE CC that comes out almost instantly. Even if it didn't do damage it would be a monstrously good ult, I don't know how "you stop playing for 7 seconds for some damage" is going to compare.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

p-hop posted:

minrad is a very proficient moba person, one of the highest skill level goons I have ever queued with (in dota, and maybe in HoN? it's been so long)

so maybe rain is actually good and its not a troll post??

Just spitballing here, since I only played a few matches with Gul'dan last week when he was free. Any AoE spell with a radius that big has HUGE range if you cast it at max distance. That gives you a lot of room to hide your lil g'dan somewhere sneaky. There are probably other reasons that it's good, but fear is a safer pick since it's great initiation and an oh poo poo button at the same time.

It's still probably not better than a rapid firing AoE CC in a game all about team fighting, and being farther away from the fight when it is the only thing you can shoot off at that distance seems like a downgrade.

If you were in a bar fight and your backup was a guy strong enough to throw a brick from 50 yards away into the fight to help you, would you really want him throwing a brick from 50 yards away, or would you want him in there loving people up with you? Especially if he's going to make a couple of people run from the fight.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BrianBoitano posted:

Huh. So League of Legends mercs usually just give experience and some give a buff. They just added their first merc that pushes at the same time HotS added its first mercs that don't push and give buffs.

HotS: ahead of the curve yet still trying to catch up™

Banner of Command (and before that, the Promote summoner spell) were previously the League equivalent of Mercs. Or super minions when you knock out an inhibitor, I guess.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

^^^^^
And League has Wukong. A Monkey King style hero is basically a default for a MOBA. Hell, Smite had two of them!

BrianBoitano posted:

Nothing is new under the sun, I just thought it was funny they were both added the games at the same time.

e: well gently caress is stealth edit actually not a thing anymore? I guess I have to start proofreading my posts :v:

Oh, it definitely is. I think in MOBAs, there are certain expectations that nobody is really all that original. I don't know about most people, but I don't fault any MOBA for having things that are in other MOBAs, including champions that are basically straight copies. League and DotA have a bunch of champions that are very clearly the same thing.

If I were making a game, and I wanted it to not be poo poo, I'd definitely crib some mechanics from other good games in the genre I was making it in. So League adds pushing camps, and HotS adds buff camps, and it works out great for everybody on both sides.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Rygar201 posted:

If I like Li-Ming in this game, and Lux in league, will I like Chromie? She looks like a similar Land All Your Skillshots for Big Burst hero

I haven't played Chromie, but from awtching Voyboy play her during the Tryhard for Good event, she seems Xerath-y too.

Man, Lux would be so broken in HOTS. A root, a big AoE bomb, a crazy good ult, and a shield to help teammates, with a passive that gives free damage? Yes please.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Played my three brawls, all three times I had people I had never played. Lost the first attack, the second defense we were crushing them until our Sgt. Hammer rage quit because we lost the second point eventually, and the third one we won on attack mostly because the other team was god awful. It's an okay-ish game mode, I guess? I got an announcer out of the box, too bad it was ETC and I hate that motherfucker. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Uther is busted on defense. He gets to stand around healing for free for 8 seconds after he dies... and the 9 second respawn timer is ticking while that 8 seconds is running. So drop heals and stuns -> get a new mana bar when you die, throw more heals -> sit for literally 1 second -> respawn and do it again.

Yeah, we didn't lose that game.