Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Weighing in on Wailing Arrow vs Mind Control:

Wailing Arrow can shut down the entire enemy team's ability use, which is enormously useful when both teams are totally engaged in fighting. The trick is using it early so the enemy doesn't have the opportunity to throw out ultimates of their own while you collapse on them.

Mind Control can force an enemy into an unfavorable position with very little counterplay, making fights into 5v4s with all of the benefits that such a thing entails. Alternately, you can use it to make a fight 4v4 while using it on an enemy teammate that's more valuable in a teamfight than Sylvanas is (i.e., making the tank gently caress off so they have no peel or stopping their AA from doing anything useful).

Ultimatelyheh, both abilities have their uses. I usually prefer Wailing Arrow because Mind Control isn't as useful in this Double Warrior meta of ours, and also because it's easier to stop major moneymakers like Twilight Dream or Horrify.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It's also why you could get a lot of the Collection portraits before you were supposed to because the move to 2.0 increased the Hero levels before factoring in the new requirements.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nephzinho posted:

Ray is better when you need area control via Hyperion as well as need to survive a Nova/Zera/dive with a bigger body - in a pinch he also brings bribe to the table which can be relevant on Hanamura.

Raynor's Bribe was removed in September of last year.

So no, he does not do that.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

SKULL.GIF posted:

It's 4% for each level so at 20 it'd be 85*1.04^20 giving 186 AD at 20. (Base stats are actually for level 0, the first level counts as its own level.) The usual shorthand I go with is 2.2x for level 20, 1.5x for level 10.

The scaling is funky sometimes, it can be any of 3%, 3.5%, 4% iirc? I may be wrong on this, but I basically don't pay attention to the numbers and just mostly trust they'll take care of themselves. This gets to be bothersome, though, with how inconsistent talents are about updating ability tooltip numbers.

Most heroes get a 4% increase to Health and Damage (both attack and spell) per level. Outliers are Varian (who gets 3% per level because of his whole "variable role" bullshit) and Greymane (who gets 4.5% per level for no apparent reason).

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Does anyone know offhand if you "lose" overkill DPS on Tychus when you throw a grenade during the skill?

Does it pause the damage? The game display for rapid damage skills is almost useless. They have changed it twice since beta and I think the current version displays an average of damage done during the last .5 seconds, which makes it hard to tell sometimes.

You lose AA DPS when throwing the grenade, but not Overkill DPS. You still have to play the animation for the grenade throw regardless (which means Tychus isn't moving for that 0.25 seconds), but Overkill is designed to be uninterruptable by Tychus's abilities.

Kith fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 31, 2017

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BrianBoitano posted:

I thought Nydus already gives you hall of the storm regen levels?

It does.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Once cast, the axe is falling.

god that sounds so loving ominous

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

2 SPOOKY posted:

That being said GG, WP still feels pretty dominant? I've been playing primarily DVA since she was released and I'm not sure I see taking the others even post-nerf.

I have a Master buddy who refuses to take anything but Torpedo Dive unless he's got a Morales with Stim or Rehgar with Bloodlust on-call.

Edit: Master, not GM.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

2 SPOOKY posted:

Is there a reason for this, specifically? I get that increased survivability is nice but even with Torpedo Dive I feel insanely vulnerable against a well built team with some dive and good CC. Standing my ground and murdering someone then hammering E has saved me more times than I can count.

I'm just not sure why stim/blust make the difference here.

GGWP before the nerf gave D.va the highest AA damage output in the game, bar none. Coupling that with Stim Drone (an enormous attack speed boost) or Bloodlust (not as big of an attack speed boost but comes with lifesteal) turned a GGWP D.va into an absolute murder machine. It's still likely to be extremely powerful even post-nerf, but not as overwhelmingly so.

Anyways, Torpedo Dive is Good And Useful™ for the same reason that Valla's Vault is useful - they're both fragile characters and being able to swooce their way out of trouble keeps them from dying.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Noir89 posted:

Edit: gently caress i forgott about Greed! Gimme the fat goblin throwing chests everywhere!

Greed I could see as a skin for Azmodan. Q is chest toss, W and D are the Vault Minions, E is... I don't know, a cash laser? Black Pool is a pile of gold and Demonic Invasion just rains Treasure Goblins.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He has one on the hero page. None of the master skins are called master skins anymore.

No he doesn't. Master Skins (or "Master" skins) are very clearly Base Skin + Extra poo poo Glued On. That's an entirely new model.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Now if only Tychus wasn't in the gutter.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Coolness Averted posted:

but he's not? I mean Malthiel will probably kill the two tank meta for a while but his drill is still great at zoning and he can still shred and zone decently.

Last I checked, a 45% winrate wasn't the sign of a healthy hero.

Edit: Actually I shouldn't be such a salty bitch about Tychus's winrate given that two of his best maps are missing from the rotation and that's part of why his winrate and popularity are so far down.

Kith fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jun 2, 2017

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Nephzinho posted:

Current hotdogs 47.9% overall, hops up to 48.6% when you head up to Master/Diamond. He's a niche pick who does fine in his role.

HOTSLogs is missing a huge chunk of information because not everyone uploads their replays. The actual winrate is closer to 45.6%, I believe.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

bamhand posted:

Wait, how do you know the actual percentage?

My uncle works at Nintendo.

Edit: Also, the Actual Winrate™ was 45.8%.

Nephzinho posted:

Is there anyplace else that reports on stats more reliably? It is missing a ton of poo poo, i think its missing like a third of my games when I looked this past week, but its not like there's anything else to check.

Until the API gets released, your best bet for stats is either knowing a guy who knows a guy or just eating the over/under on HOTSlogs being off by a couple percent. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kith fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 2, 2017

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BrianBoitano posted:

So nobody else really likes the new non-protoss Zeratul?

It looks super cool, but I'm not that big of a Zeratul player, so I haven't really cared about it.

Honestly, what I'm most interested in is the sheer volume of variants being added for the new skins, like the Golden Demonic Tyreal and the Gilded Baron mount. I really hope those aren't the only variant additions we're getting.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

A'ight, so someone from this thread (or reading this thread) tracked down my Discord and messaged me asking for better winrate percentages.

First of all: Do not do that, you creepy loving weirdo.

Secondly: I do not work for Blizzard, I'm just good buddies with some folks that do. We like to BS about HOTS from time to time because we play it together every now and then and that's where I got the Tychus Winrate from. I do not have a secret red telepone wired directly to Alan Dabiri's rear end in a top hat, so please do not play Internet Detective on my poo poo just so you can beg me for Secret Winrate Deets. HOTSlogs, while not perfect, is close enough.

Thank you.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Polio Vax Scene posted:

it was jimbo wasnt it

I didn't recognize the name (and I wasn't about to ask, I was already weirded out enough), otherwise I would've outright said who it was. I'm inclined to say it was not, given his response.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Henker posted:

Still holding out hope for a Blood Raven hero, but Blood Raven Sylvanas is an acceptable substitute.

Jimmy's red master skin is a reference to the 40k Blood Ravens, if that helps.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Tychus got no butt on him!

That hardly matters for a man of his "stature".

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mind over Matter posted:

I mean, you're correct here. But are you really surprised that you posted something like that and then someone gooned out on you for it? Is that really a thing you didn't expect to happen?

Yes, because I thought being that goony died out because the internet on the whole had matured. I now realize I am an idiot for thinking this.

beejay posted:

If you have friends at a company and they give you non public info don't make the info public. Just a tip.

Blizzard does not give a poo poo about minor things like that - there's a ton of stuff I caught wind of before everyone else back when I was working on Arcade mods and I was free to talk about it with whoever. It'd be a different story if I said there was an indev video coming and what was in it because that's a marketing thing, but miscellaneous statistics like that are kosher to share. If they weren't, I wouldn't have been told about them in the first place.

Switching gears a bit (and in doing so going back to how all of this poo poo started), this guy is trying to create a better/more accurate/less ad-choked HOTSlogs. Might be in some folks' interest to help out by uploading replays.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Genji happened because Hanamura was happening. If it wasn't Genji, it was gonna be Hanzo.

If only it was literally any other payload map.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Toshimo posted:

Can someone do a gif of the tychus spray with animated pecs?

Asking for a friend.

I bring gifts.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Hanzo could be made interesting via not having a Basic Attack and just being all skillshots, all the time.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Just QM'd against a team of Falstad, Uther, Thrall, Muradin, and Ragnaros. Somehow they all had Sgt. Hammer's voice lines and they were spamming them the entire match.

I don't know how to feel about this.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

e; nvm

Kith fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 3, 2017

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

stay depressed posted:

it's dope to mete out inside information to win arguments/get attention but refuse to share it otherwise

I don't actually care about sharing the extra stuff I know/have been told, but the vast majority of it is trivia that won't really matter to you unless you're familiar with the Galaxy Editor or you're interested in scrapped content. I only know a handful of "real" winrates (and even then they're not too far off from what HOTSlogs shows) and the only reason I brought it up was because I didn't think it would turn into "a thing" - I was just trying to share something y'all would find neat.

GenericOverusedName posted:

Nah, they showed a greymane spray where he's in doggo form grabbing a frizbee. It looks like uther to me.

It's Uther. He even has little cross decals all over his shirt.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

I honestly hate the Goliath D.va skin. It looks nothing like a goliath.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It was because Bladed Momentum was proccing off of the cleave damage from Fury of the Swarm, giving her insane CDR per hit. Couple that with Ravage's healing talent at 1 and it didn't matter how awkward her kit was anymore - she could spam the gently caress out of everything, dealing huge amounts of damage very quickly and having a ton of shields and health restoration to show for it.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Thrall trip report:
Maelstrom Weapon is so insanely powerful holy poo poo. I think going Full Windfury after 7 (including Thrall's new Windfury Bolt) will probably be The New Meta for Thrall - it's so easy to get 100+ bonus damage by Level 13. The Resilience heal nerf sucks hard, but if you pick up the Double Chain Lightning quest you'll be able to make up the difference in pokes rather easily.

Malthael trip report:
A lot weaker than I expected, but can also do terrifying amounts of work if he's in his element. Will probably be a Meme Machine on Boss Objective maps like Battlefield, Garden, and Dragon Shire.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Just did a Level 20 Thrall vs Level 20 Butcher duel in QM

Thrall won :pwn:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Machine Gun Moonfire Malfurion puts out a concerning amount of damage, by the way.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Playing Malf honestly feels a lot more chill now. I always stress about Cleanse and poo poo, but now that it's gone that's one less thing I have to worry about.

Also, Machine Gun Moonfire completely shuts down stealthy characters and rips through Minion waves really well. Nu-Malf pairs exceptionally with a characters that lack waveclear or rely on non-piercing skillshots - he's probably going to be a REALLY nasty customer when paired with Li Ming.

Edit:

AlphaKeny1 posted:

Are we doing hotdog chat now? Because probius is at 56.6% right now so that makes him first pick/ban worthy?

Check that 4.9% Popularity, though. Probius has a high winrate, but he's also extremely easy to counter. From my experience, he's typically picked in one of two situations:

1) When the opposing team cannot counter him easily, giving him the opportunity to go wild regardless of where he is.
2) It's Braxis Holdout, a map he's almost perfectly designed for.

Kith fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jun 6, 2017

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

C'mon, post the link too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptLje-3i174
I'm sad that these aren't in the PTR. As far as I know, they're all ready to be used.

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

Is Drakken Laser Drill bugged? I had to furiously mash R to get it to deploy at all in this last game. Switching targets worked fine.
It used to be you could self-cast it and drop it directly on top of yourself, but I don't know if that changing is intended or not. It might not be, given that Gazlowe's turret placement was supposed to be fixed in a similar manner not too long ago.

Kith fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 6, 2017

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BattleHamster posted:

I think I would be okay with all the healing nerfs if his offensive capabilities were increased but I don't think that's the case.

I have no idea what they were thinking when they moved Full Moonfire to level 4 since having to choose between that, Elune's Grace, and the new Vengeful Roots is pretty painful when you know there's nothing for you at level 13. Then at level 16 Revitalize seems like the only option and its way worse than Hardened Focus.

I haven't actually tried him out on the PTR but I'm hoping they eventually add in some better talents on those tiers.

Ice Block and Shrink Ray are still at 13, and they're still amazing for the same reasons that they usually are.

The new Vengeful Roots is less impressive than it sounds - the Treant's damage can get pretty up there if you can land roots reliably, but it's still just a Treant. In my experience, it usually dies before doing anything too useful. Now, if it gained health and damage, then maybe we'd be getting somewhere.

Anyways, Full Moonfire vs Elune's Grace is really just a question of going full damage focus vs a general strength increase. In my opinion, Elune's Grace is the much stronger talent because it just does more, pound per pound. Full Moonfire's radius increase is neat and the reduced mana cost will make your spamming life easier, but the increased range on everything is just so useful.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Reminds me of the Gazlowe Training Dummy Instakill.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

BattleHamster posted:

This is cool and all but my point was that they nerfed his healing capabilities while also giving him less offensive talent options.

Going offensive style malf on the PTR is straight up worse than going offensive style malf on live (except for a small boost in dmg during the midgame) because they grouped practically all the offensive talents into the lvl 4 and 7 tiers without adding anything new.

What the gently caress are you talking about? It's not like they removed any offensive talents, and frankly the Moonfire talents being moved to 4 and 7 made them much more accessible. Nobody competent or playing seriously is going to take Full Moonfire over loving Ice Block or Shrink ray, and typically Tenacious Roots is King Turd of poo poo Mountain regardless of what you're doing because the crowd control is so valuable. Shuffling the Moonfire talents down several tiers gives Malfurion the option to actually be a reasonable contender at sustained poke output, which isn't something you want to develop late in the game - you want that as early as possible so the damage can add up while everyone is pussyfooting around the impending teamfight because they don't have their ults yet.

Yes, they nerfed his healing and took away Cleanse, but that was something that needed to happen. Going back over what you said originally:

quote:

I think I would be okay with all the healing nerfs if his offensive capabilities were increased but I don't think that's the case.
The Moonfire talents becoming more accessible is a drastic increase to his offensive capabilities. Even if you only take Lunar Shower, it makes Malfurion's DPS rise considerably.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Honestly, they both serve the same purpose of locking down an area. I tend towards Rift talents myself because it feels like the Cannon dies too often. The other thing is that the Cannon relies on having a Pylon around, which Rift doesn't.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

It actually isn't specified which Gul'dan we got. The developers stated that his appearance is based off of his Warcraft II/original version, but that's all the information we have. Given that Zul'jin is supposed to be super dead and we wound up with a weird combination of his Warcraft II and World of Warcraft versions (with a polite smattering of completely inappropriate characterization), I don't think HOTS's Gul'dan is any specific version - he's just generically Gul'dan and that stands for the original, alternate, and film versions all at once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Someone pointed out to me that a huge portion of Varian's kit is just Repackaged Illidan and it pisses me off that I didn't realize it sooner. It's so obvious in hindsight.