Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Kashuno posted:

Just played a game where I picked last and picked kharazim for a second support and got screamed at that having two supports is the worst thing ever by our li ming and even though we ended up winning she was still screaming how bad it was in post game. Whew

People seem to get SUPER upset if you don't follow whatever dumb comp they think is the best.

I've actually played on and off since Alpha and I've never seen the playerbase so toxic and lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Ignite Memories posted:

Is there a good resource for learning when to pick various champions, or a run down of the roles and who is good at what?

I'm trying to learn how to pick tanks better, and figure out who is good to practice. I'm hoping for something a little more in depth than the hotslog win rates.

I like this site just because it gives you a guide for each hero.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/articles/heroes-of-the-storm-tier-list

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Just complain at the start of every match that your comp is poo poo. Then if you lose, you can type "told you retards gg" at the defeat screen. Your penis grows another micrometer every time.

Don't forget "my back is so tired" if your team wins

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
They should make a Stratholme map where the objective is delivering tainted wheat while avoiding Arthas and your team gets a zombie for each one

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
German Nutritionist skin for Kel Thuzad, just for that one joke

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Do you guys think Dehaka will be a lot worse now that Primal Aggression is going? That seemed like it was way better than anything else at level 1

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I love Arthas because Howling Blast becomes infuriating once you complete Frost Presence

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Mind over Matter posted:

Sort of related to this, I find myself tilting or getting grumpy way way more when I'm playing with friends or acquaintances, including people in goonchat. Not because they're inherently worse or anything. Some are, some are better than me, some are about the same. But for some stupid reason it's a lot harder for me to shake off a loss and get back in there with a preform of people I will see outside of the match.

This is my flaw for sure, not anyone else's problem. But it makes it hard to 5-stack with other goons.

It's because in a pubbie environment it's dipshits you'll never see again so your annoyance disappates as soon as the match ends. With people you know, the losing will continue in the future

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I was in a QM game with two goons and 2 pubbies last night where one goon and one pubbie were losing their minds at how "OP" DVa was. Am I missing something? I was actually playing her and she seemed super medicore.

Edit: like I'd literally rather play Chen for a tank

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Pilot dva isn't a tank :goonsay:

Make her a multiclass like Varian SO SIMPLE

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Kyrosiris posted:

For HL you need platinum or better; for Team League you just need to finish placements.

Wait, seriously? I can just grab any 4 randos and if we play 10 games we all get a raptor?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Yeah, Master Skin Thrall is the only Master Skin i bought pre-2.0 because the original color hoodie is cool

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Tsurupettan posted:

just put yrel in the game

I've actually wondered where she is, because she'd be kinda perfect, especially since Uther is the only WoW Paladin representation in the game.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
One of the main reasons I mostly play HL is to avoid the awful QM matchmaking

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

bamhand posted:

When in doubt split soaking is the correct answer IF your teammates understand that they need to avoid fighting/dying. In general people don't understand safe soaking very well. All you need to do is stand near minions while they die. You don't need to actively kill them or attack your opponent. You can just sit in a bush and wait. In fact it's often detrimental to kill minions yourself because it pushes the wave closer to the enemy fort and forces you to get further and further out of position to soak.

Constantly trying to fight or harass will expend your resources (hp/mana) and when you run out you'll be forced to go heal and then you will miss several waves of xp if you're solo laning. If you notice your opponent is running out of mana/hp slower than you are then you should back off and just soak. If the opposite is true then you can keep harassing them to hopefully force them out of the lane. But be aware that as you push the wave forward you become more and more vulnerable to a rotation and gank from their team.

The game is really really bad at explaining the concept of XP soak, or rather the idea that you want people soaking everywhere they can. You can see if in QM all day erry day as there will be low level teamfights with a level deficit, or people grabbing merc camps on an XP deficit.

Edit: Also I think a lot of people overvalue merc camps, or at least don't understand when/why you want them.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
My favorite is 3 lanes pushed in, enemy team dead, and everyone goes for mercs, like push and win instead?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Also, everyone is laning pre-10, so they'll just kill the mercs and they won't accomplish anything

exquisite tea posted:

It's hard to develop hard and fast rules for anything in HotS because so much of the game is situational, and statements like never merc before 10 are helpful in most cases except for when they're not. It's more useful to get in the habit of frequently looking at your minimap, seeing what's going on, and quickly determine what you should be doing next based on what objectives are up and what members of the team are alive/dead.

This is true, but if you need to condense it for a new player, I'd say that more often than not, laning is the proper choice pre-10 over getting mercs. I would not expect a new player to understand the rare circumstance where that isn't true.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I've deliberately stayed out of the mek longer than I needed to, because the team needed more damage at that moment.

That being said I've never thought "gee I wish I was out of the mek now" because I'm generally in spots where that'd be an instadeath without it

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

exquisite tea posted:

If you have a new mech ready to go then it can help to stay in pilot form to bait people into attacking you, but even with torpedo rush you're just a really fragile Tracer without any of the escapes, and at that point why not just play Tracer.

because i can't switch to tracer mid-match

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

wiegieman posted:

She's and Genji do the same job but she does it with even more annoying escape options.

Tracer is also ridiculously sticky compared to Genji

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
You get to choose the hero? It says it's random. I assumed if you already had whatever hero it rolled, you'd just get shards

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Carados posted:

Hots announcers are so much worse than Dota announcers I hope they get better as time goes on

I wish HotS had Rick and Morty like Dota2 does

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Really, they should go back and re-do all the HotS announcers besides like Gazlowe and Brightwing, because they have pretty much zero personality.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Gustav posted:

I will say that I think if last pick prepicks an assassin, and pickers 1-4 just pick what they want and assume the last guy will be forced into playing support?

I have zeeeeeero sympathy for them when that guy just instalocks the hero he indicated from the start. You knew he wanted the hero, you took a shot and it backfired. Suck it up.

Nah, everyone gets last pick sometimes. Suck it up and play what the team needs.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Gustav posted:

I'm a team player, so I suck it up and play what the team needs every game, not just the 20% of games I'm last pick.

So if 1 and 2 pick assassins, then 5 picks an assassin, it's 1 or 2's fault?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I'd almost prefer it if you got a Brawl styled window for each pick that flat told you what role you were playing in HL because too many people believe things like "last pick gets highest priority in what they want to play" that eliminating the loving guesswork of who will suck it up and play a role might be good.

And this is coming from a dude that almost always plays warriors or support

Gustav posted:

Yes. Also 3, 4 and 5.

Assuming prepicks were made early and unambiguously.

This is stupid. If you get to pick 5 and you had Nova instalocked but we need a healer you're a loving rear end in a top hat if you pick Nova.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Gustav posted:

Fine, but if you picked an assassin yourself you don't get to complain about it. You knew there was a good chance that could happen, you presumably asked him if he would flex and he either said no or didn't answer, and you took your shot anyway because you really really wanted to play assassin and figured he had to choice buy to switch. Good for you. Now you get to suck it up and deal with it, not be a stereotypical toxic rear end in a top hat whining about other people's picks.

LOL the fifth pick instalocking Nova would be the toxic rear end in a top hat in this scenario.

Like I might agree with you if QM didn't exist, a format where that player could play Nova in EVERY GAME

Hail Mr. Satan! fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 24, 2017

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Tender Bender posted:

Thanks for the tips. If I'm not actively under attack do I just drink for the energy and ignore trying to build the hp shield? It seems to go away too fast to be helpful.

The shield is for when you're getting smacked in the moment. Drinking is useless if you don't need Brew and you're not getting hit.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Toshimo posted:

It's really sketchy. I gave it a first pick illidan, and its next 2 picks were zarya and malf, and I don't think double manaless into malf is a great plan (also, it finished with Greymane and Probius, so your protect-the Illidan comp isn't great and you have dick for hard cc).

But what if you want from LAST pick?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Also it's probably not true but Chen feels like he has the fattest rear end in the game, so he can block escapes like a champ with his kick

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
I don't think it's that he is really the fattest, but the kick puts him on the opposite side, so it makes blocking enemies really really easy.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Mind over Matter posted:

Both people in this scenario are assholes. Slam picking a DPS as the fifth when the team needs a support is assholish, but so is the assumption of "I'm going to pick what I want and the people after me are obligated to fill."

It is not actionable, by Blizzard's rules, to pick any hero. By the written laws of the game, there is no such thing as a troll pick or wrong pick. If you (in the royal sense here) want a support? The absolute only way to be certain you have a support is to pick one yourself. A Nova slam picker won't get very far, I bet. But they're not doing anything against the rules, either.

oh word?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
No one was arguing that it's against the rules. They were arguing that it's a dick move. Because it is. You're loving over your team so you can play your special snowflake hero instead of sucking up the occasional last pick, which won't even always be a role you don't want anyway

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Generally if you upfront say "hey guys I am bad at <x> role, people will listen and work around that. The situation we're discussing is not that

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Mind over Matter posted:

Sure is a dick move. So is forcing/assuming a role on someone else.

yep. But unfortunately, last pick bears that heavy responsibility on a very rare occasion to rise above. The comp can always be corrected by last pick

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

whalestory posted:

Sometimes I appreciate repeated pings because in my inattentional blindness I may have missed the first few :)

A lot of people have this issue. It's hilarious people are clutching pearls over a few pings instead of one. Maybe play a single player game?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The problem isn't double or triple ping but double and triple pinging the entire match, acting like everyone is misha

Man I've played a couple thousand matches and I've seen that maybe 10 times

Edit: when I ping something to take notice of, I ping once. Wheb I ping something really important, I do the rapid fire 4 set. I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm trying to make everyone aware of something. It's just hilarious that it's a mutable sin to some people.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Dietrich posted:

Truth be told without GG WP she doesn't do that good of damage as a pilot. The problem is the other talents on that tier aren't really worth considering in comparison.

In fairness I think her talents in general are too W focused.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Also why does no one ever mention that the normal Meka attack is a line-shaped AoE? That would factor into her damage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

All the w talents feel like traps to me

The trap is there are way too many of them. I don't think it's a great ability tbh.