Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Discord link

A pretty dope new cinematic

Heroes of the Storm (HotS) is a Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) developed by Blizzard Entertainment and drawing on Blizzard's 20 year history of iconic games and characters. As in other MOBAs, players in HotS choose a Hero and placed into 5v5 battles. The ultimate goal is to fight through multiple layers of fortifications, enemy minions and mercenaries, and the opposing team to destroy the enemy's Core.

Why would I play this over DotA or LoL?

- No item shop, so no need to memorize item lists and how they interact with Heroes.
- No last hitting/denying, so no falling behind on levels/gold just because you can't precisely time auto-attacks
- Shared XP over all Heroes on a team, so no carrying somebody else to glory
- No runes or other out-of-game items you have to buy to remain competitive
- Objectives that makes maps more interesting and flow differently
- Shorter matches, so getting stomped ends faster

In general, HotS is a much more accessible and casual MOBA with a focus on the things that are fun about the genre (teamfights, feeling cool) and not the things that are tedious bullshit legacy mechanics (last hitting, item shops). Quite a few players (including myself) have tried other games in the genre and disliked them, only to come to HotS and fall in love. Its free to play so there's no reason not to try!

The last two years since HotS’ launch have been an exciting time, with the dev team clearly growing more comfortable and experienced with their particular take on MOBAs. They’ve released multiple new maps and dozens of new heroes that push the boundaries of the genre while making a concerted effort to update older Heroes and keep them fresh along with regular balance updates and reworking game systems. However, the metagame aspect suffered, with prices on skins and Heroes high compared to other MOBAs and little to look forward to once you maxed out your account levels and started reaching higher levels on Heroes. Also, Overwatch is presumably making a poo poo ton of money and the HotS’ team wanted to get in on that. Enter Heroes 2.0.

The Heroes 2.0 update is an effort to modernize some of the clunkier aspects of HotS’ progression and storefront. The short version is the game now works a lot like Overwatch’s leveling and loot boxes. Instead of being capped at account level 40, players will now be able to “infinitely” level and earn rewards at certain milestones. In addition, players can now earn or buy loot boxes containing everything from worthless chaff to keep you from getting the good stuff sprays and emojis to skins and Heroes. Furthermore, Blizzard has reduced the amount of XP needed to account level Heroes across the board, making it way faster to get your favorite Heroes to high levels. All the details on 2.0 you could possibly need are here but the goal, as it always has been with HotS, is to make the game more accessible and more fun to play.

:siren:If you have played HotS before and want to come back in, you will get a certain amount of free loot boxes depending on how high your overall Player Level was. That’s your Account Level plus each level for each Hero.

PLAY

The new loadout screen, where you can customize your Hero before the match with all your collectibles. Also a bitching Zarya skin.

There’s a mode for playing HotS for every mood you’re in!

Quick Match
The most straightforward. Pick a Hero, click a button, play a game. QM tries to keep skill levels balanced and create coherent team comps, but guarantees neither.

Unranked
This mode has a Draft Phase, where each team picks and bans Heroes with their team.

Hero League/Team League
HotS’ tryhard modes, HL and TL are where you go to play competitively. After completing 10 placement matches, you will be sorted into a League and advance through the ranks. There is a requirement of having 14 Heroes at at least level 5 before you can play the ranked modes, but that’s fairly easy to achieve. Hero League can only be played solo while Team League can be played with any number of friends. At the end of each season, players are given rewards depending on their rank, ranging from just Gold to unique mounts and fancy portraits.

Brawl
The goofy mode, Brawl changes each week with different maps and rules. There’s no particular effort to balance Brawls, so please don’t whine in the thread if you get a lovely team comp or whatever. Brawls do reward a loot crate for playing (not necessarily winning) 2-3 games a week so there’s no reason not to do them.

There are goons that play in all these modes, so hop into Discord and the in-game SAGoons channel (/join SAGoons) to find them!
BUY

Gambling, the hot new revolution in gaming

Prior to 2.0, HotS’ monetization was simple. You either paid real money or Gold, the latter of which was earned through playing games and doing daily quests. Mostly though, you’d paid money. But with 2.0 has come a massive amount of new cosmetic items and three exciting currencies that you will still primarily be paying real money for!

Gold works just like before: earn by playing the game, spend it on Heroes. Gold can also be spend on rerolling loot chests for (hopefully) better stuff!

BrianBoitano posted:

Somebody did some loot chest reroll math: https://www.pcgamesn.com/heroes-of-the-storm/hots-loot-chest-opening-chances

tl;dr:
  • Keep chests if they have what you want. Barring that...
    Reroll every chest that doesn't give you above its guaranteed minimum. In other words:
  • Keep common chests that have at least 1 rare.
  • Keep rare chests that have at least 2 rares.
  • Keep epic chests that have at least 2 epics or an epic + rare
    Finally:
  • If you get a "lucky duplicate" (e.g. an epic from a rare chest, bleh it's a duplicate) keep it for the shards. Rerolling won't guarantee you another lucky epic.
  • Expect a legendary every 12-13 boxes, hard max likely at 20 boxes, 95% max likely 18 boxes.
  • Gold is most efficiently spent on heroes until you have a decent hero pool. It would take you many many rerolls to luckily get heroes you don't have. Yes they have biased RNG to help you get what you don't have, but you'll still likely spend more gold rerolling and loot chests just aren't common enough to keep rolling the dice.

Of course, if you own all heroes and you have nothing better to do with gold, by all means reroll lucky stuff to gamble on even more lucky stuff, especially since you get 3 chances.

Official Blizzard Stats posted:

*Probabilities of each rarity in loot chests are listed below:

RARE: Average of 1 every chest

EPIC: Average of 1 every 4.5 chests

LEGENDARY: Average of 1 every 17.5 chests

*Numbers do not apply to rerolls, event chests and special chests obtained from levelling.
Gems can purchased with real money and are used to buy Loot Chests, Heroes, Stimpacks, and Bundles. You will get a small trickle of Gems at certain milestones while leveling your account.

Shards are identical to Credits from Overwatch: you get them from Loot Chests or duplicate items and can spend them to buy specific cosmetic items.

The progression and loot system is the biggest update coming in 2.0 so I highly recommend you check out all the details in Blizzard’s blog post.

WATCH
In this exciting age, we can watch twenty-year olds play video games whenever we want to. HotS is no exception.

lordfrikk posted:

If anyone's interested in who to watch, here's my short list: Grubby has the least bullshit Twitch/YouTube channel, he's an ex-Warcraft 3/Starcraft pro player, still streams W3 on weekends; chu8/HORSEPANTS are both good but you might not like their style, KendricSwissh is also a good, long time player, sometimes goes overboard with sound bytes; Sc2FanTV is GFE (pro team) Fan's channel, he's very good at the game but his presentation leaves a lot to be desired, no meme bullshit though; Honorable mentions: McIntyre, Trikslyr (Blizz employee), CrisHeroes (another pro player), Srey (on YouTube) has infrequent but informative videos about specific heroes.

Additionally, MFPallytime is one of the most popular HotS YouTubers, but unlike the pro players linked above, he plays at more of a mid-tier level. Still entertaining and informative.

LEARN
MOBAs are complicated games and while HotS is the simplest, it still has a bit of learning curve for new players. Goons are usually willing to answer questions but may insult you in the process, as is typical of this dying forum. Fortunately, there are plenty of other resources!

The HotS subreddit for general chatter
And the competitive HotS subreddit for theorycrafting and tryharding
Both HeroesFire and Icy Veins are good sources for builds and play tips
Hotslogs is the main source for tracking winrates and how successful builds are right now. There has apparently been some drama in the past with the site owner doing some shady poo poo with their ads and Blizzard is developing their own public version, but for now it’s all we got.
HeroesCounter lets you pick Heroes and show you who they counter, what counters them, and who they work well with. Useful for drafting.

Finally, you will almost certainly need this thread at some point in your HotS career.

glhf

1stGear fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
HEY FORGET ALL THESE CHUMPS BELOW THIS LINE BECAUSE THIS REDDIT POST IS PRETTY MUCH A COMPLETE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ALL THE BAD BEHAVIORS AND PRACTICES THAT MAKE YOU LOSE GAMES

NEW PLAYER ADVICE STATION

Yo this is a really long post and its really informative so you should read all of it. But here's a summary:

A bunch of good tips from a Reddit poster.

Boom, you're now better than 90% of new players coming into HotS. Go play some games and come back.

How Does a Match Go, or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Stay In My loving Lane
At the start of a match, hit Tab to check the composition of your team and the enemy team. Do this before you pick your first talent so you have a better idea of what you'll be working with. When you start playing, you won't know what Heroes are capable of but you'll learn fast and that will help guide talent choices and playstyle.

Before the gates drop, your team will divide up into lanes. Don't worry too much about who's in what lane, especially if you're new, but make sure there's at least one player in each lane at all times (unless an objective is up). In order to get XP from minions in HotS you have to be within range of the minion dying and if your team isn't in range and the enemy team is, they will rapidly out-level you.

A short time into the match, the first map-specific objective will pop up. :siren:OBJECTIVES ARE INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT GET THOSE FUKKEN OBJECTIVES:siren: When objectives are up is when its acceptable to abandon your lane and XP soaking because objectives are game-changing. Wait for your teammates so you can move in as one because this is likely the time when the first few team skirmishes will occur and you want to come out on top of them.

Generally prior to level 10 you want to stay in lane, soak XP, and skirmish for objectives. If possible, you want to push your minions to the enemy's fort and start poking it, but don't stress about it too much. Once you reach level 10, you can pick your Heroic Ability and the game starts for real. Start grouping with your team and more aggressively pushing for teamfights/forts. Capture merc camps, hold objectives, and wreck any enemy players who think its a good idea to wander out on their own (It is never a good idea to wander on your own). Once fights get started, avoid fighting at a numerical disadvantage. If one of your teammates goes down, back off, do something else, wait for them to respawn.

If you're losing, don't panic! The way XP works in HotS means a comeback is only one good teamfight away but you'll need to play more cautiously. If you're more than a level behind, avoid teamfights in favor of clearing minion waves for more XP and hitting merc camps to create problems for your opponents to deal with. If you see a single enemy player on their own, gank them with your allies then swiftly retreat. Always keep an eye on the minimap and keep in mind what your opponents can see. It is entirely possible to have your Core completely exposed and be multiple levels behind only to pull it together and win a hard-fought game. Don't give up!

The most important thing to be thinking at all times is “What am I doing?” “What is it contributing to my team's victory?” and “Could I be doing something better?”

Hey, Should I Do <Dumb Thing>? Some Final Advice.
STAY IN LANE. This has been covered, but seriously, stay in lane. Don't be intimidated by the enemy team deathballing around in a single group. They might be ganking you, but they're getting crap for experience and will fall behind in stats and talents. Keeping people in each lane before level 10 is the most important thing you can do.

DON'T CHASE. Oh, but Uncle FirstGear that Valla only has like 100 health I can totally get her. What you don't realize is that that Valla is running back to her three teammates who are all full health and mana and are itching to destroy you. If an enemy manages to disengage, let them. You've forced them back and won anyway. I've watched more teams than I care to count throw away victories because they just had to chase down that last Hero and walked into the waiting arms of a freshly respawned team.

DON'T GO ALONE. Past level 10, you should never be without at least one buddy. Wandering about alone clearing minions/forts/merc camps is just asking to get ganked and hand a big chunk of XP to the enemy team, as well as putting your team at a disadvantage in the next teamfight (that the other team will now be trying to force). Conversely, don't leave your team just because you disagree with them. Stick together, work together, win together.

WATCH THE MINIMAP. The minimap shows you everything that every part of your team, from other players to structures, can see. You should always be keeping an eye on it and noting where enemy players are. If you can't see them, think about where they might be. Adjust your priorities and movement accordingly.

YOU ARE YOUR MOST VALUABLE ASSET. Keep yourself alive. Don't engage in completely unwinnable fights. Don't hang around with no health and mana left. Don't try and keep soloing a merc camp when they're killing you. If you're alive, you're helping your team. If you're dead, you're handing XP to the enemy and crippling your team by a fifth.

GET IN DISCORD. Multiplayer games are way more fun with random strangers friends! Get in Discord!

HAVE FUN. Its a game, a casual as gently caress game. MOBAs have infamously toxic communities and while HotS is better than most, you are still going to get called a loving retarded baddie by tcjimbo and you are going to be inclined to call him one too. Don't. Chill out and have fun smacking your action figures together.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 25, 2017

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Brightwing announcer is the best, FYI

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
God but it is nice for 9 -> 10 to not be an unscalable hill any more.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Zotix posted:

So what is the 24 to the left then?

It works like prestiging in Overwatch or any given multiplayer shooter since Modern Warfare. Your rank resets but you get a little fancy color and highlights around your circle in the profile.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Unsurprisingly, Hanamura is a complete clusterfuck with pubbies. I imagine it'll improve as people get more familiar with the map, but right now yeesh.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I got Abathur in a loot box after specifically avoiding the entire time I've played the game. So I felt obligated to try him.

Deeply unpleasant to play is the phrase that kept coming to mind.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

lordfrikk posted:

Any reason why specifically chu8 and HORSEPANTS were not included in the streamer list?

I left out chu8 because he's also doing the Tryhard For Good thing and Horsepants got caught in my reckless backspacing. They're both back in. Also fixed the error with the HL and TL requirements.

If you have an announcer, does that override Li Ming calling her own killstreaks? I love the BW and Li Li announcers, but I couldn't bear losing the Sassiest Wizard sassing out of control.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

1982 Subaru Brat posted:

Auriel with this build is fp/ban tier IMO. Nearly as much damage as a carry, top everybody off nearly on cooldown and every teamfight is 6v5. So please don't tell everyone and get it nerfed okay guys?

Never played Auriel before, used this build, proceeded to crush. This build is dope as gently caress.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

raverrn posted:

Matchmaking, huh? That's what you call this?

quote:

QM tries to keep skill levels balanced and create coherent team comps, but guarantees neither.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Rerolled a regular Loot Chest, got two legendaries including Maraudin' Muradin. The system works.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Thrall just isn't very good any more huh

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Kai Tave posted:

I get that HotS is a different sort of game than Overwatch but it still seems like "let's make a character that can't push lanes and can't contribute to objectives" still isn't really a great basis for a character to begin with.

Nova is old as heck and from a time when Blizzard didn't really know what they were doing in regards to Hero development.

Now they still don't know what they're doing but they don't have the excuse of being new at it heyoooooooo

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEf156Aih0Q

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Tracer or MOTHERFUCKING LUNARA running you down to your inevitable death is way more annoying than any stealth hero.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

bagrada posted:

Stealth should only be temporary and when you destealth you shout "Here I am!"

I don't think they're ready to add Sombra into the game yet.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Philip Rivers posted:

Would you MOBA raid? I'd MOBA raid. That sounds fun as heck.

Its telling that the response to the 10v1 April Fool's Joke was "I want that."

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The PvE modes for Overwatch were pretty popular too.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Holyshoot posted:

Are these good stats for maraudin? I feel like my damage taken might be a bit low? It's 11 games QM and then one unranked draft.

You won the majority of your games so, uh, you did okay? Stats in this game are useless in a vacuum. What was your team comp, what was the enemy team comp, was the opposing team avoiding attacking you in favor of your backline, was your team bad at positioning, so on and so forth.

You won most of your games and you didn't die very often. So I'd say you did pretty well.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ciaphas posted:

Right now if I want to learn a less caster-y assassin do I want to learn Greymane or Valla? I feel like wading back into QM with at least one of them for a while tonight before I get back to ranked.

Valla. She's straightforward, has a great escape/chase ability, and shits out damage. Greymane is quite a bit harder to play.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Metal Meltdown posted:

Gonna make a bit of an effort post here since Kharazim is my favorite character.

Level 1, you go Iron Fists. It's roughly a 36% damage increase to all of your attacks except SSS, and it gives movement speed. Since Khara has zero crowd control, movement speed is key if you wanna smack anybody. Transcendence healing is really weak, and Insight gives you some serious sustain but neither really touches Iron Fists.

Level 4 is really comp dependent. In most cases, it's Earth Ally. If it's a mage heavy enemy comp and you're solo healing, spirit is decent. Only take Air if you need the de-stealth.

At level 7, you ALWAYS take Blinding Speed. More dashes is your lifeblood as Kharazim. Heavenly Zeal isn't terrible, but always be dashing. Blazing fists is junk.

Both ults at viable at 10. I usually take SSS. It makes you super dangerous 1v1, and even has defensive utility since you're invincible during the animation. It's even better if your team can displace enemy dudes like with a Diablo or Artanis so you can get easy isolated targets. It can be tough to get value out of it if the enemy team is Lost Vikings/Rexxar/Samuro since they'll just tank hits. If the enemy team has a lot of burst, or has those previously mentioned heroes, go palm.

13 is the most versatile level. Everything here is situationally decent. Take Spell Shield or Sixth Sense if the enemy team is packed with ability damage or lockdown respectively. Fists of fury is solid on maps where you're gonna be punching an objective, such as BoE, Spider, or Mines. Quicksilver allows for great chase and escape, but it does have anti-synergy with my favorite 16 talent.

16 grants Way of the Hundred Fists. At this point, you are now a loving terror to any enemy backliners. Keep in mind you can move while doing this attack, so you can just stay on top of them as you Hokuto no Ken their rear end. Cleansing touch is alright, but I'd only ever pick it if your comp already has damage for days and you took quicksilver at the previous level. Echo of Heaven significantly increases sustained healing, but is a negative against burst. Dash of Light is generally bleh.

20 has two really solid picks. I think both of the level 10 improvement talents are rather bad. Transgression does excellent damage, but it really takes an eternity to unload all those hits, at which point your target probably already escaped the radius. The divine palm improvement is trash. If you seriously whiff a palm, 5 seconds is still far too long to save that target. Storm Shield is the default pick. Epiphany is picked if you wanna just go all in with Way of the Hundred Fists, which isn't a bad plan.

Kharazim can carry his own weight as a solo healer if you're leveraging his AoE heal well, but I like him best as a secondary support against drafts with a lot of squishes who want to hug the backline. Dive in with a buddy or two and watch people die.

This is good advice, but picking up Insight is going to be better if you're solo healing. Insight functionally gives you infinite mana and dramatically lowers your cooldowns once you complete the (easy) quest. Transcendence is garbage, never take Transcendence.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

New Tyrande talent posted:

Lunar Blaze (E)
Moved from Level 7
New functionality:
!Quest: Every Hero hit by Lunar Flare increases its damage by 3%
Reward: After hitting 10 Heroes, remove the Mana Cost
Reward: After hitting 20 Heroes, increase the range by 40%

That seems scary.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

jesus christ

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
D.Va's taunt in Pilot Mode is asking if you're in Bronze League which is pretty fukken savage for people actually in Bronze League.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Li Ming shouldn't be complaining about anything because you should be too busy spamming her sunglasses skin and turning your lane into a disco inferno.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

BrianBoitano posted:

e: page 69 noice

haha nice

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
First complaint with d.Va: her portrait in the Hero Select screen makes her look derpy.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Second complaint about d.Va: Everything about her feels awkward as gently caress to control. The way her auto-attacks in mech form pivot but have an incredibly short range, her attacks in pilot form are so fast you can't stutter step properly, defense matrix will frequently not come out where my cursor is. A lot of this is probably just new hero learning curve of course but still, man.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
I've only put a few games into her, but I don't know how well Dva actually works. Not being able to move her Defense Matrix around like in OW makes it a lot less useful, Self-Destruct is easy to run out of and honestly doesn't even do that much damage (it only took me to half health as a pilot Dva pre-level 10), and her AA in both modes feels awkward to use.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
You also can't trigger Dva's Self-Destruct while the mech is dying

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

I was in a QM game with two goons and 2 pubbies last night where one goon and one pubbie were losing their minds at how "OP" DVa was. Am I missing something? I was actually playing her and she seemed super medicore.

Edit: like I'd literally rather play Chen for a tank

Some people always think the newest Hero is OP because its easier than admitting you're not using to playing against them yet.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
DOTA 2 also has Steam backing it, so it has a much larger platform for free advertising and Valve can much more comfortably throw money into a DOTA pit without it affecting the bottom line too much. Even at its peak, WoW only had a fraction of the users Steam does and WoW hasn't been at its peak for a while.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Bloody Pom posted:

Colossus Smash may be a very situational pick, but it is satisfying as hell to jump on a Li-Ming and knock her out of the loving ballpark. :black101:

Its really disappointing that Taunt Varian is going to be the best choice 90% of the time cause both Colossus Smash and Twin Blades are so much fun.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Tryhard For Good thing is over and they've posted a quick recap. They earned a bunch of money for charity and it seems like the streamers all enjoyed it!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Ronnie posted:

Oh... wow... umm... wow... just... wooww.... I'm gonna need a minute....

I really enjoy how there's just, just the slightest amount of physics on that package.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Its me, I'm the filthmonger who likes the Hammer brawl.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Infinitum posted:

I don't know why I did this

Av size if someone wants it

Hell, its about time.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Malthael spotlight is up on YouTube.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

There are going to be special "Summer Loot Crates"

Ffffffffffuckers

I guess we should have expected it since loot crates are copied wholesale from Overwatch but still. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Why can't Probius summon a Gateway that spawns Zealots

This would have been way more interesting thematically and mechanically than a piece of tissue paper that slows people down I guess.