Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
grubby always likes to say that your job as the support is to be near your teammate who is most likely to die at any given time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
you can still pick whoever you want in unranked draft. if you're in the last spot you might have to warrior or support, but even then if you tell people up front you want to run nova, they might draft around you.
it's basically the same thing but you get a sane team comp more often.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
you get told the map before the draft. if you want to see how a draft goes you can just watch the beginning of a streamer video just to see the mechanics so you don't get caught completely off-guard, but the players are scaled the exact same way as in quickmatch so it should be the same level.

if you want to play a tank or a bruiser, you can click on it before it's your turn to pick and everyone will most likely be happy to let it get to you.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
Trikslyr and friends were stomping team league with 5-support comps.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Also if I'm not supposed to play QM anymore then why the gently caress does everyone only ever play QM in the SA groups.

That's a really good question. Everyone saying "QM sucks" is really at odds with 90% of goon-ups being QM.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
What's the point of the alarak bonus combo damage?

It seems so paltry compared to the bonus Q damage.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

BrianBoitano posted:

Thrall still good. Use him on maps with a solo lane. Go multiple Q charges, Mana Tide, and Follow Through. If you can weave abilities and autos, you win.

I said good cool duders, not good players. If they are also cool duders fine, but I imagine the top 3 teams will get enough money anyhow.

Bakery always seems like a good guy in his interviews.

You should be able to pitch in bits towards gym memberships.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

bamhand posted:

All 2 lane maps are 1-4. 4v3 in one lane and 1v2 in another lane usually ends up having the 4v3 doing more damage than the 2v1, so it's generally better to go 1-4.

Grubby was talking about this is some random video. It used to always be 3 and 2 until someone started abusing a lane pushing 4v3, then everyone changed to 4 and 1.

That said, I've seen some games where they have a very effective pair (say tass, illidan) and threesome (say guldan, auriel, tank) where they win the 2 lane and stalemate the 3 lane very well.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
You guys ever seen a "temporary outage of Blizzard services." when trying to log in? I see plenty of people on my friends list currently playing.

edit: of course it started working as soon as i made a post on the internet.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

DisgracelandUSA posted:

What does an anti-uther build look like?

Finished my placements last night, silver 2 :shobon: 6-4 and we only got toxic in 8 of the matches.

I've noticed that in some sessions it's really bad. I haven't tracked it with day of the week or time of day, but now if I have a lovely game I don't play another since chances feel high that the next will be bad. Maybe everybody triggers each other and people need a nights sleep to reset to human mode?

I'm just too old to be around people who take games too seriously.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
Report ana

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
I remember that too. They wanted to get rid of double boss plays since it was kind of a meaningless choice

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
My weird thing since the patch is that my keys occasionally get "stuck." It will use abilities on cooldown, or more obnoxiously, change my right-click-hold behavior.

I assume it's something that happens when I get in a fight and spaz and hit keys in the wrong order.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

When I was watching SEL they had to pause the game every other match or so for someone to fix it. The fix is to unbind then rebind the key.

Huh, wonder if it's the same. Another fix for me is dying, that seems to reset all my keys. Luckily I do that pretty often.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
because you were trying to call someone a loser in team chat

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

Gobbeldygook posted:

Arthas is a good pick vs heroes that get a lot of damage from their melee autoattacks such as samuro, greymane, illidan, kharazim

Maybe fixed your post. He also works well if he can get a good engage on an AA with no escape like raynor, zuljin, lunara to some extent. But if he can't they can kite him forever.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
Ooh I'm going to be a nihilist HOTS player from now on.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
One thing I've definitely noticed grouping with goons is misapplications of "good" habits. Like, if a lane is being left unsoaked, it's not often the right thing to do as morales as cover it. Or going to the non-immortal lane to soak as the main ranged DPS on the team, on defense. Or backing to de-push a big wave as muradin.

When playing with people better than me, they either consciously get me to play my correct role ("falstad back to clear wave then fly in") or just nudge me to by making sure all the incorrect ones are already provided for. It makes me feel like a good player.

When playing with people the same skill level or worse than me, I don't have the leadership or multitasking skills to get the team organized, and often find myself in the above situations and it feels arbitrary whether the team clicks/wins or not. I have a feeling that those arbitrary wins are when everyone getting roles/heroes they're super comfortable with, in absence of a god-sent shot-caller.

edit:

Libertine posted:

I try to actively micro-manage where he's headed when we are setting up for fights and he'll still wander into a 1v3or4 and die at least 2 or 3 times per match. He absent mindedly split pushes all the time. He ignores major things happening on the map. That's just how it is. I'm trying to help him get Silver this season (Gold is probably impossible). He carries me in Rocket League so it makes up for it.

And yeah, if this dude is on a split push hero and the rest of the team plays accordingly, you prob do fine. Otherwise it's a trainwreck.

ninguno fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jan 9, 2018

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

Elysium posted:

I just played with the most annoying Zera ever. He would go stand near where he thought some enemies were, wait to go full stealth, and then blink closer. And then wait for blink to come off cooldown, and then blink closer. And then wait for blink to come off cooldown and blink closer.

I love this. Also see secret agent Sgt hammer strats, moving a round the map in invisible siege mode looking for ganks

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
Mixed martial arts 6.5/10, no comeback mechanics

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
The only healer I can think of that comes close to being only a healer is Morales, and even with her you have the grenade minigame.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
I've got some sympathy for the pros but that's what dedicating yourself to an unstable market is like. Professional gamblers got upended with the UIGEA, mortgage brokers got hosed in 2008. poo poo happens, if they wanted a stable job they would have become plumbers.

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011
That's because you never come to the objective, reported

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

league is the far more passive farming game so it's weird to attack dota on that front.

In hots you can hide in a bush to farm xp.