Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Rygar201 posted:

I thought Big Tuna Kahuna was the clear 20 choice?

It is. It would be a tough choice if you haven't taken BTK yet because it doesn't look as fun, but it's extremely fun. Especially if you're able to take the "bubble regens you a % of your health" talent. You can't always, but being a mini-dehaka is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
When I’m on blue I often find myself mildly surprised the game is ending at 9:00, then check the scoreboard and that solves it.

When I’m on red I check the clock every 10 seconds hoping the enemy team can win before 7:00 because it’s already 18-0 at 5:00.

e: vvv last week I got to duo mephisto with a friend in ARAM and we won by taking the reset level 20 and dragging out the game till we managed a couple of triple+ kills with smart ults. It was the perfect level of playable and saucy.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 15, 2021

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I’m sure everybody knows this, but if you message someone after an ARAM loss to tell them they suck, you’re the loser.

I picked Stukov because our team had no healing, we lost bad and some of my teammates decided it was because my healing stat was low. It’s not worth arguing so I just move on, and during my next queue someone sent me a “your winrate with one of the best healers is 40%, you’re dogshit” which is hilarious, but what are you gonna do?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

cmdrk posted:

I think my favorite part about those people is that they'll also immediately put you on ignore 9 times out of 10, for fear that you'll talk poo poo back to them.

Yeah, it doesn’t make any sense to me why they would bother but who knows what darkness lies in the hearts of gamers. The very next game had a 3-stack berate me for playing Azmodan poorly and I got MVP even though we lost. I think it’s nearly impossible to not get MVP as azmo in aram, he’s just so strong.

I’ve stopped playing for a while though, to see what happens with mgmt at acti-blizz. It’s fine, not like I’m going to have time in december anyway.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I got both my 6th year and my 6.5th year anniversary banners the other day. No clue why, considering we're close to 7 years I thought?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
is $10 the same as 10,000 gold? if so then yeah. They basically wanted to prevent people from complaining there’s no new characters or maps, but they still do balance patches and I think there’s new cosmetics? I don’t really pay attention to that side tbh. Deathwing is still 15k gold like at release as well iirc, so they aren’t bothering to update those.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
For exactly the reason you outlined, pushers are very strong if they’re left to their own devices. Azmodan may be the strongest ARAM character against team comps that can’t push well because he practically guarantees that, at worst, you’ll have a stalemate like that. There are a couple characters like valla that require not being behind at level 10 but will probably just slowly grind through the enemy team regardless of composition after that.
The next level is synergistic ults, gazlowe + deckard cain kinda stuff will just scoop up a triple with no contest and from there you can usually keep them on the back foot long enough to get a couple level lead.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
There is indeed an ARAM map with no bush, it also has conveyors which I enjoy in normals but despise in aram for whatever reason. It matters very little for dehaka, the mobility isn’t as crucial and I never miss the talents.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

FungiCap posted:

:(

Too beautiful for this world.

RIP HOTS, still gonna play but y'know. Maybe in a year they'll decide there's enough psychos still playing to warrant paying attention again, probably not!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Last night I had someone PM me after the game was over to call me a loser for backdooring the 9% core in ARAM while his team had 2 bots, so if you play with someone named UCant, muss their hair or something for me because he ended the message with “#noucant” lol

Before you take his side, I was Lucio just backing a dvas play.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Sometimes you just run into a couple nights in a row where everyone playing is an rear end in a top hat. My friend and I will hit a couple nights where every game has someone trash talking teammates and then we’ll go a week or two with no jerks, who knows.

A few years ago I used the free name change to make my name “Dad” and while I’m tired of the “when are you coming back from getting cigarettes?” jokes, it’s really funny when someone tries to say “kys dad you suck”. I don’t banter much but it’s always positive and it helps that I’m good at support/tank so people usually feel bad when they tell me I suck and I end up with mvp.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
The queues are only getting stranger and more fun. I played with someone named AlwaysMVP who slam picked Alarak in ARAM, but then when I picked Li Li they switched to Auriel and spent the whole game antagonizing the enemy team but almost never dying. They didn't do much and they weren't at fights, but they were very good at annoying the enemy team and not dying. They didn't get a card at the end of the match though.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
After a couple weeks of getting the occasional "1 hero for everyone" ARAM, I can tell you the worst by far was Maiev, and the Murky one was probably best. We've also done Probius (awful, as soon as one team is losing they will lose the game, just very slowly) and Cassia (fine, staggering deaths is probably the only way to actually lose) which wore out their fun about 10 minutes before they ended. The matches aren't too frequent, so it's not annoying, but that Maiev one was so painful I almost went AFK.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I got to experience the all Murky one once and it was indeed amazing

Yeah, here's the secret for if anyone gets it: go the slime quest but take big tuna kahuna at 20. I went with the bubble heals talent as well and was unkillable. The match devolves into who can get the most slimes off, so being able to guaranteed 1v1 is very useful and I could 1v2 against murkys that didn't take the same level 20, even though they took the reduced cooldown on slime at 20.

FungiCap posted:

I had an all-mephisto match where literally nothing mattered, just spam keys at the enemy team but had the audacity to go on for 30 minutes.

I imagine everyone took the global ult? That sounds like you win if you get 20 first?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
What does competitive hots even look like? I’m sure there aren’t many teams left, but I mean what characters are regularly picked?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
Had the All Raynor ARAM like 4 times at this point and it’s merciful because once a team gets to 10 first they’re able to siege down the fort and push hard, ending quickly. The worst so far is Maiev, who cannot push and has no sustain so you just end up with pyrrhic victories until one team gets a two-level advantage and can win with ults, then push with creeps.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
It may be different in your games, but when I play ARAM nobody complains about anyone else. Sometimes there will be a terrible player that rags on someone who's doing fine, but they stop after getting told to knock it off. Play the game the way you want though, if AI is fun and you get stressed playing with humans that's OK. If you do quickplay as Abathur and just hat someone and never leave them, that's fine too. So long as you're not 1) in ranked and 2) clearly taking the piss, nobody should care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

At the very least shared xp, frequent impactful map objectives, and something like the talent system would be nice to see elsewhere.

The funny thing is that Dota2 has been adding some of that stuff & moving (vaguely) towards a closer experience. There’s a system that gives you bonuses to choose from as you level, sometimes it’s stat increases but other times it changes an aspect of a talent. They’ve added runes that give gold and XP & an item that gives XP to the user (and the team member with the lowest XP?) and there’s a couple objectives that move/give non-xp rewards, incentivizing people to leave lane and do big team fights.
They’re not the same game or anything, but as the genre has matured lessons from HOTS are being re-learned.