Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pounded in the butt by Jimmy's girth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Buy your megabundle before you open your chests, so you get shards for any duplicate heroes you get.

Craptacular! posted:

Dota for babies.

This isn't the League thread.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm really shocked at how generous Blizzard was to veterans, I got so much stuff from all my chests. I guess now I get to be the fancy sparkly player that entices all the newbies to spend money on the game.

Belzac posted:

if there are 10 people in a queue and all of them have collectively banned every map do you just not play? Sounds fun.

A hypothetical map veto would probably work the same way it does in Rocket League: you only get to veto at most a few maps.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

After a spin on Hanamura I think constant camp clearing is going to be the default approach, to give your team as many advantages as they can get.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Garden and Blackheart is fixable by turning them into two-lane maps and turning their objectives into a struggle over who gets to control the plant / cannons instead of giving both teams the plant/cannon.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Dragonblade is almost certainly going to get nerfed. It does so much massively more damage than X-Strike, it's easier to hit, it's less mana, kills with it reset Swift Strike....

Apparently Genji is already scoring a winrate above 55% and I'm pretty sure Dragonblade is a big part of it. The rest of his kit is good but not that good (it's comparable to Li-Ming and Tracer).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The UI is telling me there's one unviewed new skin but I've checked every single hero and none of them have skins that I haven't hovered over yet.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

bio347 posted:

If you right click the Collections tab, there's an option to tag everything as viewed.

Thanks!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Uther is way, way better now. He's even more of a hard counter to burst assassins now.

Not only that, he's actually a capable frontliner.

I'm extremely pleased with the support roster right now, between Auriel taking the mantle as #1 Damage, Li Li being anti-attack, and Uther being melee mitigation healer. They did an even better job of differentiating the supports than they did warriors on the recent diversity pass on warriors. All the supports now have specific and highly useful niches.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Are you taking wave of light at level 1? Because you really, really want wave of light. I can't see ever taking any other option outside of joke builds.
He still has long cooldowns, but mana efficiency is way better than it was. Also devotion aura is just an insane passive- there's really nothing else like it for dealing with burst damage.

Yeah, the other two talents give Uther more mana, but he doesn't need more mana after level 7. Wave of Light is just extremely good in comparison.

He has long cooldowns but his abilities are extremely potent. It's sometimes okay to hold back on using your heals while you wait for a slightly better time to use them.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Relin posted:

is there a link to an explanation for how they reworked hero leveling

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/heroes20/progression/

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Macaluso posted:

I don't understand why they use the term "forge" for getting things with shards. You aren't forging anything, you're buying them with currency!

This is a ridiculously useless bikeshedding discussion, but you "forge" whatever you want to buy via combining shards in such a specific way that the end results forms what you wanted to buy.

Macaluso posted:

Hanamura, to me, seems 100% in the favor of whichever side is better at teamfights. The objectives matter and getting forts matters, but keeping them off the payloads is such a huge advantage. I've yet to see anyone bother with the boss yet, probably because he apparently hits so hard it's almost not worth it.

Hanamura is actually extremely reminiscent of Towers of Doom to me and it's amusing seeing players who have no clue how to handle the map. I think that speaks to both how stale the dotalike genre has become, and how shockingly groundbreaking it is to have a map where the objective isn't "destroy the core via pushing" --- but ToD/HM is "destroy the core via pushing"!

Like in ToD, you want to wisely split up your team to harass the other team while pushing your own altar/payload to get damage on the core. Conventional pushing makes this strategy more potent, as well as making it easier to pull off because the enemy team is distracted defending against it.

Like Towers of Doom, taking the mercenaries increases map pressure, with the Boss mercenary giving you an avenue to directly finish off the core.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Scarra :chloe:

Real money is on Dyrus and especially Chu`

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Demicol posted:

Should I buy the hero I want before I open all my boxes or hope I get it? B.net seems to be down for maintenance so I don't even know how many loot boxes I have.

Buy your hero; if you get them in the boxes you get free shards. If you did it the other way round then you get to spend gold on a hero you didn't actually want all as much (in the case where you actually pulled the hero you wanted from the box, which is slim)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Genji's Deflect almost singlehandedly wrecks the Braxis Junction boss -- and that's before Reflect at 16.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

Everybody in the game moves like that, sorry.

It's specifically Tracer and Lúcio who feel like they're on ice skates, because unlike other heroes, when you attack someone while you're moving, you continue to move towards wherever you ordered your hero to move. This means that unlike Valla or someone where you can deliberately interrupt your move order via attacking (and it is very frequently desirable to do so), you have to interrupt your move order with another move order to prevent yourself from sliding into the enemy team and to your death --- or you just simply click very very close to your hero instead of in the general direction that you want your hero to move into. It's a big adjustment!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

You got three of the highest-damage supports and two heroes who benefit a _lot_ from constant streams of healing. That's a pretty solid comp.

Have Li Li go full Wind/Serpent/Water Dragon build, Auriel go Increasing Clarity/Repeated Offense and the resurrect ultimate, and Tassadar go Force Wall and pump up his slowing beam with talents. The baseline heals are going to be enough to keep the team up and running.

SKULL.GIF fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 27, 2017

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Rain of Destruction is plenty good with the right team. Minrad is a pretty accomplished Gul'dan and goes RoD more often than not. You have to find somewhere to park yourself ahead of time and trust in your teammates to engage before you start channeling.

Horrify's probably easier to use on the whole.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This game needs way more bans, like 4 a side. Two is insufficient to really shape and respond to a draft and the roster is starting to get big.

With the megabundles there's not even a concern anymore about locking out newbies from being able to participate (or raising the entry requirements).

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

'second warrior' is really better read as 'self-sufficient fighter'. So Thrall, Tyrael, Sonya, et al, who are capable of intervening an enemy's push towards the back lines while also being durable enough to absorb a lot of garbage thrown their way. They don't need to bring as much CC as dedicated tanks need to, or, alternatively, you have two bruisers who bring a moderate amount of CC each but these setups are a bit harder to support.

Conversely, picking something like a Johanna/ETC double-tank setup puts a lot of strain on your assassins to compensate for the damage falloff from having a Thrall or Ragnaros instead.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

HelixFox posted:

Exp for a camp is maybe 20-25% of a level. Nice, but not overly significant.

Minrad and I have been being very aggressive about camp clearing and it ends up letting us hit 4/7/10 30-60s earlier than the enemy team. This ends up mattering actually a lot.

The AOE heal is nice but the turret ends up doing more over time, I think. There's rarely a situation where you'd have to only choose one or the other, though. Having both up and running is as good as having a 6th ultimate on your team, though.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Philip Rivers posted:

Every character I love gets nerfed because I only play good and extremely cool characters, much like myself irl

The self-affirmation isn't really working out here.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Is there like an active battlegrounds rotation? I've been playing a bunch since 2.0 and have yet to see 7 of the maps.

There's a limited map rotation because of the new Hanamura map. It should go back to normal within a week or two.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Sonya counters Genji.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

You don't even need map awareness or shimmervision for dealing with stealth.

Just ask yourself occasionally "If I were an enemy flanker, would it be a good idea to attack my hero right now?" If 'Yes', then move nearer your team and be on guard. Maybe heal up and stop walking around with 60% health. If 'No' then you're fine and if they try to attack you anyway they get blown up. Anticipation solves that whole problem.

I guess it takes a bit of experience to develop that anticipation, but after a while you do pick up a sixth sense of "I'm about to be ambushed" or "They're doing boss" or something.

Honestly, long-range blasters like Chromie and Li-Ming are much more of a problem for bad players. Not only can't you see them coming, they're too far away to retaliate against! But people complain way more about the Valeera that had to duck and weave through three different AOEs only to chunk your health bar and then try to dash away.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

2 SPOOKY posted:

On a different note, do we have any good guesses on when D.VA's due?

May 4th, probably.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If you play draft you can ban these perfidious stealth heroes!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Maiev is never going in because of two reasons: Zeratul's kit and Tyrande's literally Maiev skin.

Same reason Widowmaker will never be added.

Nova's Amazon skin meant that they had to change Cassia's look and excluded her from being a bowazon, so there wouldn't be confusion between the two characters I'd they happened to be in the same match.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I dislike the AI for one thing that's very easily fixable:

If they evaluate you as a threat they will perpetually rubberband just outside of your range and never actually accomplish anything or stay close enough to soak experience or even go somewhere else and try to do something.

They'll just sit behind the fence all match long, turn around, approach you, go "whoa no", retreat, turn around, approach ...

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Probius isn't so much a 'pusher' as it is an 'advance' hero. It kind of sucks at pushing but is extremely difficult to tear down its base and push it backwards.

Probius holds your advance position, rather than actually pushing forward like Gazlowe/Sylvanas/Azmodan do.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

If you really truly are that much better than everyone else in the game then a good Tracer or Valla is probably your best bet. Reducing the enemy team's damage output by 20-40% is going to do a much better job of keeping your teammates alive.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Shibawanko posted:

Any tips for efficiently microing the vikings? I just bought these fuckers and I love unorthodox heroes.

I get that I should use shift to give them a bunch of instructions. Is it okay to have some of them idle in a bush sometimes or what? Really keeping them all up all the time seems pretty hard. Which one is the most important?

There was a huge goon-authored guide to TLV from last year, does anyone still have it?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Don't use RoD if the fight is on top of you, dinguses. It has a gigantic range for a reason, and then you can step in afterwards and clean up once all the huge poo poo is on cooldown and Gul'dan has much much less to fear. Softening up the entire enemy team at an incredibly safe distance is actually extremely good.

Horrify is a very good ult but the fear can be unpredictable and lead to whiffs and if you're relying on Gul'dan for your team's CC you've hosed up somewhere much earlier. A five-man Horrify is a vanishingly rare event. Most Gul'dans I've seen with Horrify tend to use it in self-defense, not proactively.

I don't play Gul'dan as much as Minrad does, nor am I as good at Gul'dan as he is, but personally I'd go RoD over Horrify most of the time. I'd take Horrify if the enemy team has an ambusher that's riding my cock all game long and I know I won't be able to get a quality RoD off, or if the enemy team has a high-sustain healer like Lúcio or Auriel and can just tank through the rain.

At Master the two ultimates have nearly the same winrate even despite Horrify being the pick the vast majority of the time. This suggests that there's a lot of room for people to learn how/when to use Rain of Destruction. At Platinum and lower RoD's winrate drops off bigly compared to Horrify, and I really suspect that this is because very dumb players keep on using it when they're already in the middle of a fight where, yes, it's lower damage than his abilities and self-roots him.

Pro teams take Horrify every single time because they're good enough to know how to anticipate and play around Rain of Destruction and focused enough to instantly pick priority targets when given the opportunity. You will never, ever experience coordination of that level in quick match or draft.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

bamhand posted:

That might be true in silver or something. But usually people learn to attack the squishy mage that just stunned himself for 7 seconds pretty quickly.

Correct, so you put yourself in a position where they either don't know where you're channeling from, or can't easily cover distance to pop the Gul'dan. Further, you should be taking active advantage of your team running interference for you.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

W.T. Fits posted:

The targets will always run in a straight line away from the center of the effect. It's only unpredictable if you're bad at targeting it.

Not what I meant. As someone who plays with the Gul'dan, I don't always know when it's going to come out, and my targets suddenly switching trajectories have thrown me off before.

bamhand posted:

Seems like an awful lot of work for a DPS loss. I can't believe you guys are actually arguing that Rain is better because Horrify is too random. This must be some kind of elaborate troll.

It's only an elaborate troll because you refuse to actually read what's being written and refuse to think of situations where it would actually be useful. You keep on conceiving the situation as "Instead of using Fel Flame, I use Rain of Destruction while standing in the middle of this teamfight, where I am in range of five different heroes."

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

bamhand posted:

I mean if your argument that Rain is good when it is literally impossible for Gul'dan to otherwise team fight then sure I guess? You probably shouldn't have picked him in the first place then.

I have a feeling I'm going to deeply regret bringing up hypothetical scenarios (which are never a good idea in any dotalike discussion ever), but given how rarely Rain of Destruction is actually picked... Envision something like Infernal Shrines with a Johanna doing work for you. When the objective starts, there's usually a leadup period of dancing around looking for good positions or a pick, while both sides are gobbling up the objective minions. This is where you usually see Kael'thas and Li-Ming drop long-range spells looking for an easy pop, and if one of them can land it'll be devastating. I think everyone's familiar with this sort of setup, right?

For Gul'dan, Rain of Destruction means he can cover more than half of the objective and the enemy's two entrances into the objectives. The enemy team has a few options here:

1. Keep on fighting through the siege ultimate, where they'll be met by a Johanna walking forward into their faces, and are constantly being chipped down while Gul'dan is safe. If they're very coordinated they'll probably be able to kill a couple of heroes, but they'll be at anywhere between 80 to 50% health once Rain of Destruction completes (excluding any assistive damage from the rest of Gul'dan's team). Gul'dan then enters the fight at full health, nearly full mana, and with all cooldowns available.
2. Back off either partially or totally. A partial retreat means they'll keep on trying to snipe minions, but the sniping is much easier to anticipate and play around. Gul'dan remains at full health, and his allies continue to poke the enemy team and clear minions. Parity becomes a 5/10/15 minion lead. A total retreat is, obviously, a win here.
3. Move and try to hunt down the Gul'dan. This takes time, and the Gul'dan can see exactly where you're coming and can end Rain of Destruction prematurely to either back off or to drop Corruption on you. Gul'dan's team has extra time to clear minions and build a lead, or to move to intercept the enemy team weaving through the terrain to try to reach Gul'dan.

Now, obviously, this is an ideal scenario. There's a bunch of situations and enemy compositions where it's going to be a better idea to pick Horrify over Rain of Destruction (and we've brought up these scenarios earlier in the discussion). But I am the Johanna in this scenario. I have done this many times with Gul'dan (and also with Sgt. Hammer and Chromie, for that matter, who serve similar roles here). It is effective.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Horrify/Haunt really worked out for Synergy's Gul'dan as they continually were unable to engage at range. I especially appreciated the keep push at the end of the game where Gul'dan was (rightly) very cautious about getting too close to the enemy team and subsequently couldn't do any damage without risking being caught by Entomb.

I wonder what ability would have helped here. 🤔

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

"Offense cruises right up to the last checkpoint whereupon everything bogs down in an interminable quagmire" does sound pretty close to the Overwatch payload experience imo.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It is actually a better idea to avoid killing people if they're low health when you're near the final capture point, so that you can kill them all at roughly the same time and push forward for the win. If you kill the enemy team sequentially, then they spawn sequentially and perpetually stall your capture until they can hold you off the payload for 0.75 seconds and instantly win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Braxis Holdout has plenty of globes, you just need to be conscientious about farming the globe generator, the low-cooldown siege camp, and grabbing globes from the Zerg waves.

It's maps like Cursed Hollow that are really globe-starved.