Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

bamhand posted:

Uh if you cast RoF from max range it's still a DPS loss compared to using your other abilities.

applying dps from a safe distance to an area you couldn't otherwise isn't a dps loss. the opposite, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
minrad is a very proficient moba person, one of the highest skill level goons I have ever queued with (in dota, and maybe in HoN? it's been so long)

so maybe rain is actually good and its not a troll post??

Just spitballing here, since I only played a few matches with Gul'dan last week when he was free. Any AoE spell with a radius that big has HUGE range if you cast it at max distance. That gives you a lot of room to hide your lil g'dan somewhere sneaky. There are probably other reasons that it's good, but fear is a safer pick since it's great initiation and an oh poo poo button at the same time.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I just noticed Zeratul in the Braxis loading screen

He's hiding in the back, being useless

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

BrianBoitano posted:

I like that Uther guy haha I hit with a hammer

Blizzard please make a skin for Hammer that fires Uthers.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

p-hop posted:

minrad is a very proficient moba person, one of the highest skill level goons I have ever queued with (in dota, and maybe in HoN? it's been so long)

so maybe rain is actually good and its not a troll post??

Just spitballing here, since I only played a few matches with Gul'dan last week when he was free. Any AoE spell with a radius that big has HUGE range if you cast it at max distance. That gives you a lot of room to hide your lil g'dan somewhere sneaky. There are probably other reasons that it's good, but fear is a safer pick since it's great initiation and an oh poo poo button at the same time.

It's still probably not better than a rapid firing AoE CC in a game all about team fighting, and being farther away from the fight when it is the only thing you can shoot off at that distance seems like a downgrade.

If you were in a bar fight and your backup was a guy strong enough to throw a brick from 50 yards away into the fight to help you, would you really want him throwing a brick from 50 yards away, or would you want him in there loving people up with you? Especially if he's going to make a couple of people run from the fight.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Minrad posted:

applying dps from a safe distance to an area you couldn't otherwise isn't a dps loss. the opposite, actually.

I mean if your argument that Rain is good when it is literally impossible for Gul'dan to otherwise team fight then sure I guess? You probably shouldn't have picked him in the first place then.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I guess they dont do bundle refunds do they? I got the tank bundle and I think I hate everyone except Anubarak and maybe a couple others.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I got dragged back into this, and it is awesome.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

bamhand posted:

I mean if your argument that Rain is good when it is literally impossible for Gul'dan to otherwise team fight then sure I guess? You probably shouldn't have picked him in the first place then.

I have a feeling I'm going to deeply regret bringing up hypothetical scenarios (which are never a good idea in any dotalike discussion ever), but given how rarely Rain of Destruction is actually picked... Envision something like Infernal Shrines with a Johanna doing work for you. When the objective starts, there's usually a leadup period of dancing around looking for good positions or a pick, while both sides are gobbling up the objective minions. This is where you usually see Kael'thas and Li-Ming drop long-range spells looking for an easy pop, and if one of them can land it'll be devastating. I think everyone's familiar with this sort of setup, right?

For Gul'dan, Rain of Destruction means he can cover more than half of the objective and the enemy's two entrances into the objectives. The enemy team has a few options here:

1. Keep on fighting through the siege ultimate, where they'll be met by a Johanna walking forward into their faces, and are constantly being chipped down while Gul'dan is safe. If they're very coordinated they'll probably be able to kill a couple of heroes, but they'll be at anywhere between 80 to 50% health once Rain of Destruction completes (excluding any assistive damage from the rest of Gul'dan's team). Gul'dan then enters the fight at full health, nearly full mana, and with all cooldowns available.
2. Back off either partially or totally. A partial retreat means they'll keep on trying to snipe minions, but the sniping is much easier to anticipate and play around. Gul'dan remains at full health, and his allies continue to poke the enemy team and clear minions. Parity becomes a 5/10/15 minion lead. A total retreat is, obviously, a win here.
3. Move and try to hunt down the Gul'dan. This takes time, and the Gul'dan can see exactly where you're coming and can end Rain of Destruction prematurely to either back off or to drop Corruption on you. Gul'dan's team has extra time to clear minions and build a lead, or to move to intercept the enemy team weaving through the terrain to try to reach Gul'dan.

Now, obviously, this is an ideal scenario. There's a bunch of situations and enemy compositions where it's going to be a better idea to pick Horrify over Rain of Destruction (and we've brought up these scenarios earlier in the discussion). But I am the Johanna in this scenario. I have done this many times with Gul'dan (and also with Sgt. Hammer and Chromie, for that matter, who serve similar roles here). It is effective.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I mean it sounds like you just shouldn't have picked Guldan if their team outranges yours and you have no way to engage. I guess if you're in QM you can make the best of an impossible situation.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

Someone cast Horrify on this discussion so people stop entertaining the idea of using RoD.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hotslogs, noted winrate website of immeasurable veracity and appropriateness, says that Probius is markedly better than gul'man so this whole conversation is pointless.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

From my point of view it's Gul'dan who is evil!

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
*tips fel cloth fedora*

G'dans

*enemy ladyheroes turn away in fear/disgust*

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

Mind over Matter posted:

From my point of view it's Gul'dan who is evil!
To be fair, there are very, very few points of view where Gul'dan isn't evil. Dude's not a nice guy.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
10 losses straight

this is my nightmare

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Man Chromie is fun as hell once you get the hang of her skills.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn
I love Azmodan's fireball quest that makes it beefy if you land hits on heroes. Tried free Ragnaros and found out his meteor has a similar quest. I will probably buy him when I have enough gold. His fire wave ult and turning a fort into raid boss Ragnaros is a ton of fun. Great hero design.

What other heroes have good quests for their nukes? I tried Falstad too, but his hammer quest didn't feel as strong. Is there anything else on par with Azmodan's super dunk?

also got a legendary skin out of a regular chest :getin:

WITCHCRAFT fucked around with this message at 03:22 on May 5, 2017

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Are there any settings that can make the cursor more visible? I'm working on awareness so that it's easier to handle skill shots but at top resolution I lose it from time to time.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Honestly though where does Blizz get off nerfing the original dunk build then conning people into buying the Azmodunk skin, really effed up if u ask me

Pinwiz11 posted:

Are there any settings that can make the cursor more visible? I'm working on awareness so that it's easier to handle skill shots but at top resolution I lose it from time to time.

I'm pretty sure there's a size slider so just make it huge

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

p-hop posted:

I love Azmodan's fireball quest that makes it beefy if you land hits on heroes. Tried free Ragnaros and found out his meteor has a similar quest. I will probably buy him when I have enough gold. His fire wave ult and turning a fort into raid boss Ragnaros is a ton of fun. Great hero design.

What other heroes have good quests for their nukes? I tried Falstad too, but his hammer quest didn't feel as strong. Is there anything else on par with Azmodan's super dunk?

also got a legendary skin out of a regular chest :getin:

Varian has a level 1 quest that's three quests at once! Also, it's much less obvious than Azmodunkin', but Medivh's Master's Touch quest at level 7 makes him super scary and incredible at just making GBS threads out damage.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Kael'Thas' Flamestrike quest is cool. Gives him a big damage boost but will keep you on edge as you try to get 20 stacks without dying

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

played auriel for the first time since the res buff and I think res is just the good ult now. I've been steadily less happy with aegis over time and res just seems really potent as a tool to both snowball an advantage and recover from a gank

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Five second delay before your guy comes back still seems pretty bad.

One of Auriel's best traits is her anti burst ability from Aegis.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Rez is better now than it was, and I like it because I'm terrible at timing the stasis ult in useful ways. Though I certainly won't say it has no uses. Rez is still terrible if you're like the Auriel I was teamed with earlier and rez Probius in the middle of an ongoing teamfight repeatedly.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hmm. I found a thing which lets you reroll chests as often as you like. I've only done it 6 times for this one chest and I'm going to stop, because abuse is bad (and gold isn't limitless)

What do?

e: vvv thanks. Done!

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 06:26 on May 5, 2017

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

In my opinion, email the blizz hacks account with step by step. Don't post it on reddit or here or anything.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
HOTS seriously needs a tutorial about moving and a team and learning to count. Would make the player base so much better :v:

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

BrianBoitano posted:

Hmm. I found a thing which lets you reroll chests as often as you like. I've only done it 6 times for this one chest and I'm going to stop, because abuse is bad (and gold isn't limitless)

What do?

Does the cost keep increasing? As a new account I have way too many chests and not enough gold. I do reroll awful ones like 4x common from regular chest, but if it's "average" then I don't reroll unless it's a rare or epic chest.

Do rerolls have a better drop rate or something? I have rerolled maybe 20 chests so not a huge sample size, but 19/20 of thoses chests had better than average loot after rerolling it.

Other than hoarding gold and spending earned crystals when your favorite hero is on sale, are there any other tricks to unlocking all/most of the heroes without IRL money? That's my #1 goal right now. Skins are cool but more heroes means better picks in draft, more versatility in any mode, and faster account leveling with each new hero unlocked. Greater replay value as well, because variety is the spice of life :angel:

On the topic of awesome quest talents, I love Gazlowe's increased turret duration one. Once you hit a certain point, you can boobytrap between lanes or near map objectives. It's like Techies mines from dota. If a squishy hero finds your turret horde by accident, they will die. If your team is constantly getting pushed, you can get the multishot turrets instead of slow turrets talent and hold your ground like a boss.

There is an art to dropping turrets properly, even as a mass ambush setup. Don't put them all in one clump to get nuked down. You gotta make a spider web of turrets that completely shut off a trail, and wait for your prey to fall into the web. This also sets you up to safely charge a lazor to full blast just inside your web of turrets, then retreat and watch enemy heroes chase you to their death. At higher skill levels this will only work once per spot or even once per game, but in low MMR matches it's godlike. People will keep walking into your death trap.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

p-hop posted:

[...] and spending earned crystals when your favorite hero is on sale[...]
That hadn't occurred to me. Just checked and got Varian for half price. The only other trick I know for a hero is to do the second tutorial (that teaches map objectives). That rewards a starter chest with a stimpack and a random hero.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

p-hop posted:

Does the cost keep increasing? As a new account I have way too many chests and not enough gold. I do reroll awful ones like 4x common from regular chest, but if it's "average" then I don't reroll unless it's a rare or epic chest.

Do rerolls have a better drop rate or something? I have rerolled maybe 20 chests so not a huge sample size, but 19/20 of thoses chests had better than average loot after rerolling it.

Other than hoarding gold and spending earned crystals when your favorite hero is on sale, are there any other tricks to unlocking all/most of the heroes without IRL money? That's my #1 goal right now. Skins are cool but more heroes means better picks in draft, more versatility in any mode, and faster account leveling with each new hero unlocked. Greater replay value as well, because variety is the spice of life :angel:

On the topic of awesome quest talents, I love Gazlowe's increased turret duration one. Once you hit a certain point, you can boobytrap between lanes or near map objectives. It's like Techies mines from dota. If a squishy hero finds your turret horde by accident, they will die. If your team is constantly getting pushed, you can get the multishot turrets instead of slow turrets talent and hold your ground like a boss.

There is an art to dropping turrets properly, even as a mass ambush setup. Don't put them all in one clump to get nuked down. You gotta make a spider web of turrets that completely shut off a trail, and wait for your prey to fall into the web. This also sets you up to safely charge a lazor to full blast just inside your web of turrets, then retreat and watch enemy heroes chase you to their death. At higher skill levels this will only work once per spot or even once per game, but in low MMR matches it's godlike. People will keep walking into your death trap.

Yeah, costs kept going up. Only useful if you have a guaranteed rarity in your chest or you have a huge amount of gold. If I had known about it when I had unopened veteran chests......

I was trying to get a Jade Arthas with my lvl 10 Arthas chest. Instead I kept rerolling until gold became a factor and ended up with an Arthas emote pack :v:

Rerolls don't have a better drop rate, aside from the usual pity timer which guarantees a legendary every so-often. More rerolls = get closer to your next legendary.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 5, 2017

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

http://us.battle.net/heroes/en/blog/20766461/heroes-brawl-of-the-week-may-5-2017-checkpoint-hanamura-5-4-2017

I'm optimistic. Should be short, crazy games.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Mind over Matter posted:

Rez is better now than it was, and I like it because I'm terrible at timing the stasis ult in useful ways. Though I certainly won't say it has no uses. Rez is still terrible if you're like the Auriel I was teamed with earlier and rez Probius in the middle of an ongoing teamfight repeatedly.

I've found the new res almost more useful than the stasis., it's a little less punishing for mistiming, and especially if you're narrowly losing or winning encounters (like say trading 1 for 1) it can really help keep pressure up. Of course if they're properly targeting Auriel first, or are clever and know to try and gank the res spot it can be bad.
Heck the delay can even be helpful since the fight can move on away from the corpse.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I reacquainted myself with Anub because I really want to get him to 10 to see if I luck out and get one of his cyber skins. Goddamn that bug remains fun as hell to play.

Zul'jin can be loving terrifying when playing as him, though.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Bruceski posted:

The only other trick I know for a hero is to do the second tutorial (that teaches map objectives). That rewards a starter chest with a stimpack and a random hero.

For some people. For others it's a waste of time. It seems to be completely random and nobody on Reddit (as far as I could find) has found an explanation as to why some people get a chest and others don't.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Fun but a bit poorly balanced, is my experience. The defender respawn is just about on top of the last point and it's almost impossible to get them all dead fast enough at the same time to cap.

Not that it's a big deal, it's a brawl and it's fun up util the forgone conclusion at the very end.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Oh Snapple! posted:

I reacquainted myself with Anub because I really want to get him to 10 to see if I luck out and get one of his cyber skins. Goddamn that bug remains fun as hell to play.

Zul'jin can be loving terrifying when playing as him, though.

Anub'arak is awesome but it's hard to get over the VA change since I heard it so much in Warcraft 3. The Announcer is particularly noticeable.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Did other new players just get an e-mail from Blizzard about "how to stay alive" in HotS or was that targeted for baddies :gary: :negative:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Mind over Matter posted:

Fun but a bit poorly balanced, is my experience. The defender respawn is just about on top of the last point and it's almost impossible to get them all dead fast enough at the same time to cap.

Not that it's a big deal, it's a brawl and it's fun up util the forgone conclusion at the very end.

Yeah it's kind of a mess. Sucked as a new player getting choices of three characters I've never played before in one game. Had an all Chromie vs Chromie game as my third and that was hilariously dumb. We got rolled till about 10 feet away from the goal then spammed sand traps till we won.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
On the topic of ults dragon blade still the bad ult namaste