Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

systemd owns

gentoo with systemd owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

echinopsis posted:

motehr fuckin trap spring jesus

shut up

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Doc Block posted:

doesn't systemd mount the EFI variables as read-write by default, so it's possible to literally brick your hardware by accidentally deleting the directory they're mounted under?

edit: apparently somebody already brought this up. "well, in this one case that doesn't happen very often, systemd will need to write to them so they're mounted read-write by default at all times for everybody. if this ruins your computer then you should buy another less lovely one anyway and git gud."

I think this is now fixed on the kernel level, all important efivarfs entries gets the immutable attr set

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Breakfast All Day posted:

horse poo poo shovelers upset over the invention of the engine

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

again, i think this is already fixed by making important efivarfs entries immutable. but i'm just a lowly whitenoise poster, no noone notices what i write anyway!

https://lwn.net/Articles/675073/

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Doc Block posted:

yeah, but the systemd dude just sticking his fingers in his ears saying "nah nah nah not my problem not listening nah nah nah" instead of just changing the default efivarfs mount to read-only (which it should be anyway IMHO) was pretty :rolleyes: and unhelpful.

:wrong:

you need rw access for efibootmgr and stuff. the immutable setting was the right one, and lennart did the right thing.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

systemd haters will latch onto any ill-conceived technical argument they can dig up, resulting it these arbritrary personal attacks without technical merit

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Doc Block posted:

it should be mounted read-only by default, then for the few times something needs to be changed it should be remounted as read-write, then remounted back to read-only when done.

that's in addition to having some EFI vars being made immutable by the kernel.

whole lotta autists ITT

just because you say that it should be like that, doesn't mean that it should

you can't muck around with remounts and poo poo, you don't always know what setup a system has. the immutable setup is the only sane one

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

systemd-networkd can renew lease and such, but it's all or nothing now, you have to do a `systemctl restart systemd-networkdŽ

would be nice if some patches got posted to networkctl that could do dhcp stuff in the more traditional way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

he's much nicer/more professional now than before

seem to remember some douchness/kay sievers-esqueness when he attended conferences when systemd was in its infancy, but i haven't seen any of that kind in years. must had a lot of training responding to the kind of comments you see in this thread

dont get why people continue slamming poettering for closing that """0day""" bug, the behaviour seems completely reasonable

• Locked thread