Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I don't really bother with any other part of ADV so I can't comment (although the comparison to reddit seems unnecessarily harsh) but ADV is THE place to go for info and coverage on the Dakar rally, the biggest longest and most dangerous motor race in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Speaking of partial erections and Asian women, can anyone explain to me why a trailing-link front swingarm isn't a horrible idea? Seems to me it would just amplify brake dive and have no other notable effect.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Gear indicators are good and all bikes should have them but those electronic aftermarket ones that run on RPM/speed sensors and aren't built into the gearbox are just the worst plebeian ghetto thing. Sad.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
You guys are being mean to R12GS dads. R12GS dads are people too.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Many Yamahas (Jap Crap) are 60 degree

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
ADV smileys put SA smileys to shame my friend

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

quote:

That was back in the days of the symbol of women's lib being them throwing away their bras. I think there were several marches where they flung bras away with great relish. Eventually they changed their minds, collectively as women sometimes do, and decided they liked their bras again. So now you see women sometimes with and sometimes without the bra.

You can thank the 60's and the Hippies for this.
https://advrider.com/f/threads/girl-on-an-old-motorcycle-post-your-pics.400341/page-1313#post-36354639

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
He seems bitter but I'm unclear on what about. Women wearing bras sometimes but also not wearing bras sometimes?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I think of muh-self as an eye-dee-awhs man, and have often operated pit-kawx in the past so I can render an opinion on said post. I will avoid using the original spelling of such devices here so as not to offend those who came of age around about the turn of the second thousand years since the birth of Christ (mihl-ennie-awls) because I know that it could be construed as referring to gendered organs which are now outlawed.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Presently there's a minor argument in the "girl on an old bike" pic thread about whether halter tops + bellbottom jeans are more attractive than tank tops + yoga pants or not. And several of the posters have asserted that they remember a time in history when holes in jeans was a sign of poverty and not a fashion statement, which I assume means pre-1967?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

quote:

I felt her pull just a little harder as she whispered to me "what are you waiting for? Just twist it''. Yep, soul.
This in the context of a KLR is hilarious

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I guess the doohickey counts as soul? Most enthusiast KLR owners perform a soulectomy though

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
A 1995 R100RT would also be high up the list of bikes which it would be hilarious to believe had "soul"

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
He'd be lucky if it's only oil, it's probably gas

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
POA?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Lots of “this is my bike Janine” and “she treats me well and gives me everything I need :huh:” posts
Reddit demographics would skew way younger than adv wouldn't they? Because this is a rampant thing on most bike reddits. Which is kind of fascinating/depressing/disgusting.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah until the 850, it sounds like, the 800 and 700 and 650s were all 800cc P2s with 360 cranks and the ecu and throttle bodies were just different on the "650" and "700" ones. Throttle body not even different really, I think, just the butterfly cam that the cable connects to. Cams the same as far as I know.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I know this is the least of all the crimes committed on advrider but the consistency with which I've seen it over the last 10 years impressed me. It's still not uncommon to see reply posts which look like empty quotes, but are not in fact empty quotes, because the quoter didn't understand which part of his post was the quote and which wasn't, and he typed his reply inside the quote code.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Genuinely surprised they haven't all agreed to call it Botophucket in bitter protest

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

willy waving reasons
Forum title?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
DADV passes judgement on a custom bike. I agree with most of that actually. Maybe I should post over there. Although the "Albanian dung cart wheels" is pure fake news or FUD or whatever they'd call it. Those look like bog standard 70s Honda CL wheels or any of a hundred other identical wheels made.

quote:

Well, I can see why she's laughing; she ain't set up to ride it, (probably got more sense). Front suspension off a pogo stick, but with less travel, rear suspension looks like an arm off a D6, my favourite Albanian dungcart wheels and tyres, no front mudguard, 2 1/2 rear mudguards with naff-all ground clearance, fugly and unnecessary plumbing. Now some of you are going to say; "but it's a work of ART." Well go look at something functional and beautiful like a pre-war Husqvarna V-twin racer.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Forgot to post the custom bike

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Sounds like this thread, myself included, has devolved into agreeing with ADV. RIP cycle asylum.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What’s the ratio of gross scummy posts about the woman vs posts about the bike?
Lower than you might think, but

quote:

Don't worry mate. I used to own one of those Enfields.

All that poo poo will vibrate off.

It seemed to have the same effect on young lady's clothing too. Ah, to be young again... :)

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Coydog posted:

That's why we said your posts were "such a Blast".
Wow that's harsh

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

quote:

Didya hear about the homosexual cowboy? Always pulled his chaps on backwards.
I think I get the joke.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Technical point, I think any instruction manual old enough to acknowledge that the battery has "contents" which might be removable for drinking or any other use would be so old I think it would be in the CB750 valve adjustment era so if it says not to drink the acid then boomers are criminal scum. QED

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
If you get into that forum do you receive the proud title of ADVagina?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

quote:

Dress kids like that today in what looks like left over feed sacks and they'd charge you with child abuse.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yes but I like the mental image of an adv poster who is angry at the SJWs because he feels his freedoms curtailed for not being able to send his grandkids to school wearing burlap sacks

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I must be missing something here but why is that air filter so bad? I get that it's not any better than the stock airbox but why would it be blowing crud into the engine? It's a standard oiled foam filter isn't it?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I was about to post that there is one also. I'm not going to go find it but I've seen it. Swear to god. Also there's a "girl on old bike" thread which is about 70% bikini models on panheads and 20% normally dressed women from 1920 and 10% 9 year olds on an 85 Magna

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
They are the best source for unusual Dzus fasteners I've found

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Whenever I've ordered from there I've gotten a confirmation email from someone with a woman's name. I've never asked her if she's kurvey because I'm woke.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Not exactly direct adv.txt content, but I browse adv with adblocker off as I do with the blowtakkks forums here, and I keep seeing ads for this surreal poo poo.

http://cotosen.com

I suspect I'm showing my age by expressing my surprise at the content of this thing. What I think I'm seeing here is a site of cheapo clothes made from outside the USA, I assume China, with numerous items on it specifically targeted toward jingoistic right wing Americans. "Tactical" gear with words on it that don't make sense in English like "Shtorm" and 82nd airborne icons and little pictures of ww2 jeeps and confederate flags and spartan helmets. Even American racism has been co-opted by the Far East capitalists. But google's adsense is doing its job showing it to me on advrider I guess.

Also, in an adv thread, one poster referred to another poster as "princess" because the another complained about prior use of the word "dike" in the thread. It had been used only as a joke of course. Checkmate, princess.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
"I find Hamilton's helmet more offensive but who cares" in the Dakar thread after a discussion of a rider with a confederate flag on his helmet. I assume "Hamilton" means Lewis Hamilton who races with a BLM logo on his helmet.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I've been listening to an audiobook of enlightenment-era feminist work, and the quotes referenced in contemporary non-feminist work are an amazingly familiar paraphrase of the exchange above which can be summarized as "Women are human beings!" "I'm sorry that's your view on women,"

ADVRider: Online discussions for pre-revolutionary topics

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

Prior to this incident we had rented motorcycles to ride around (it was a multi-day destination wedding) and he dropped his while carrying one of the lady guests on the back.
Literally dropped his bike while a Female (that sex of the species which operates without higher strategic thinking abilities and which must be dominated culturally and sexually in order to maintain the stability of advanced civilization) was sitting on the back? Awkward!

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
I guess I don't post enough for anyone to have assumptions about my world view so I admit to falling afoul of Poe's Law there. Yes, it was satire.

Also I may not be woke enough to know what "white allies" means, is that whites who are allies to minority causes or whites who are allies to whitedom?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Greg12 posted:

boomers on moped message boards are so much worse.
the teenage models in the ads they post are portrayed as actually being teens so that they can sell mopeds to 13-year-olds.
Moped boards? What's this? I have the vague sense that moped culture is fairly "alternative" and friendly to all, so this sounds strange to me