Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Recently used recovery software to get back video and photos from my digital camera's SD card. One of the files was a 1.27GB SWF file, I have no idea why that is there and can not get it to open via a SWF player (just gives "out of memory" errors or crashes the player), same issues when trying to convert. Anyone have any ideas on why I might have ended up with an SWF file on my camera's SD card, and how do I potentially make it work/get it into a usable video format? I have very little idea what I am doing with the technology so any help is appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

You could try opening it with https://handbrake.fr/ and converting it to .mp4

This may/may not work depending on what it is.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
It could be a false positive. I'm not overly familiar with the recovery of flash files, but the header is only 3 bytes long (FWS or CWS in ASCII) followed by a single byte for the version number and then 4 bytes that give the file size. Your recovery tool may have found those first 4 bytes that matched (that is, FWSn or CWSn where n is probably anything), thought it was a Flash file and took the next 4 bytes and copied out that much data. By chance you ended up with that 1.2GB dump of data, which is probably just old deleted jpegs and partially overwritten junk.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Got it, will give the converter a go and assume it is a wonkie occurrence otherwise. Thanks.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I doubt there is anything too easy to do to be certain that it is a false positive. Looking at 3 different SWF files on my PC they all share that 3-byte header and then things change. But seeing as you got it off a camera SD card, I'd scan that file for jpeg headers (FF D8 FF E0). If you find that in there it's very likely it's just junk data. To be extra sure, take a look at the header of some of the real jpeg files from that camera so you know exactly what they look like. The first dozen or so bytes should all be very similar.
Obviously you'll need a hex editor/viewer to do that. This looks suitable, but I've never tried it.

• Locked thread