Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
owl milk
Jun 28, 2011
I've always loved documentaries, especially ones that just show stuff and aren't over-edited or over-produced like later Discovery channel ones got. Just saw Sans Soleil which is sort of one but not really? It was weird and cool and had really neat imagery. I learned that Pac-Man is a metaphor for human existence.

One of my favorites I've seen recently is Jiro Dreams of Sushi (which was on Netflix last I checked) but that's not one to watch when you're hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
OJ: Made In America is on Hulu now and it's really very good. I been watching lots of docs lately and some of them are very good.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Watch anything by Errol Morris. You can probably start with The Thin Blue Line or, failing that, Fog of War. Make sure you watch Mr Death when you get the bug.

Anges Varda, who was the real founder of the French New Wave, did a great documentary called The Gleaners and I (Les glaneurs et la glaneuse). It's about people who pick food left over in fields (in France there's a law saying you can't stop people picking your leftovers after harvest) and goes on from there to people who live off the grid, looks at how the West sees waste and so on. It's really a great documentary.

Why not watch this and see if you like Jean Painleve? He apparently did a really good piece on diatoms, but I haven't seen it yet.

Man with a Movie Camera by Dziga Vertov isn't what I'd call a documentary, it's more a series of images some done with camera tricks, but everyone else calls it a documentary so what do I know. It's great to watch if you like to kick back and enjoy some visuals. Many people have been inspired by this film.

Finally, there's Peter Watkins who is a very complicated but massively interesting documentary maker. He mixes a little fiction in with his documentaries making them unusual and fascinating. For a look at the American cultural revolution/countercultural movement, check out Punishment Park. Although there's acting in it, he's using people who genuinely hold the beliefs they espouse in the film. After that, you're going to want to see The War Game, which "reenacts" what would happen in the event of a nuclear war. Timely. La Commune is supposed to be very good as well, though I haven't checked it out - I'm ashamed to admit this - because of the 6+ hour running time (mind you I've seen Shoah so I have no excuse. There's another one for you to check out!).

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Nanook of the North is up, too. It's a 1922 documentary and even in this early period, they'd cheat in order to tell a good story! The Inuits are shown hunting a walrus with harpoons. In fact, by this time they were using guns as harpoons were too ineffective and dangerous. But the film makers wanted something 'authentic'. Nothing new about manipulation in documentary.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wanna see more Frederick Wiseman docs

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I love the Polish school of documentary making where it's more about careful observation, direction and editing rather than the subject matter being extraordinary. Actually almost always the opposite is true where the film is about something completely mundane. Every Polish film maker starts with documentaries at school (which is why you can later see it influencing their feature films), it's a genre in itself.

Here is a short from Kieslowski, it probably won't be everybody's cup of tea but I really like stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzWtuzpAhaU

Palpek fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Apr 28, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I saw this movie last weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGDW7cn2QkU

And it was pretty cool. The film was structured around capturing the mundanity of the lives of the divers despite their extraordinary work, but honestly all the best parts of the film were the underwater scenes, I wish I could have seen more footage of the women just swimming around through rock formations. Underwater footage is always endlessly relaxing...There also great stuff with some children in this; they are usually pretty good subjects for the fly-on-the-wall documentary style because they don't even have the capacity or understanding to care about being filmed and won't change their personality in front of a lens. Just unadulterated emotional response 24/7. Being a child and a parent must be exhausting as hell

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__qK05-cais

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

documentaries are great, cant get enough of em

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Jiro Dreams of Sushi is one of my favourites

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Anything by Adam Curtis or Herzog is gold for me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Plutonis posted:

Joshua Oppenheimer joining this tier as well IMO, Act of Killing and Look of Silence are some truly powerful films and experiences

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Oppenheimer is the new golden boy. I spoke to him about a year ago and he is impossibly sincere, intelligent, and committed. Look of Silence is the best doc in many years.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

In Training posted:

Joshua Oppenheimer joining this tier as well IMO, Act of Killing and Look of Silence are some truly powerful films and experiences

gently caress I forgot. Yeah, Act and Look were bad rear end.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

In Training posted:

The Act of Killing is probably the best documentary ever made.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I watched one the other night called Garlic is as Good as Ten Mothers directed by Les Blank and it was really great. You can find it on FilmStruck

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I want to watch Shoah but it's such a time commitment and will probably make me very bummed out

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Palpek posted:

The Act of Killing is probably the best documentary ever made.

Yeah, absolutely.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Wiseman is obviously the God. i need to catch up on his more modern stuff but i can say that Welfare and Juvenile Court are masterpieces, Titticut Follies is obviously essential (and has now been made into a ballet?!), and Boxing Gym is the best documentary ever made about a boxing gym.

obligatory shout out to the Up Series, a must-see.

here, have an obscure documentary about Seattle homeless street kids from the 80's. a harrowing but gripping watch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lTQgfXb87k

music documentaries? gotta mention Stop Making Sense after Jonathan Demme's sad passing. i also like Decline of Western Civilization and Instrument.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JccW-mLdNe0

Palpek posted:

I love the Polish school of documentary making where it's more about careful observation, direction and editing rather than the subject matter being extraordinary. Actually almost always the opposite is true where the film is about something completely mundane. Every Polish film maker starts with documentaries at school (which is why you can later see it influencing their feature films), it's a genre in itself.

Here is a short from Kieslowski, it probably won't be everybody's cup of tea but I really like stuff like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzWtuzpAhaU
Kieslowski's early documentary stuff is underrated. here's my favorite, the first minute is especially perfect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=66CbSfuyxTU

HP Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 22:49 on May 1, 2017

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Streetwise is my favorite doc ever.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
Anwar Congo has so much swagger. love him

Yobgoblin
Mar 19, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Clapping Larry
Here's one about Bill Hicks and here's a little one about Chris Farley. Not sure how everyone feels about "E!" but I found their documentary on Chris interesting.

Yobgoblin fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 9, 2017

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Kedi is very good and you can watch it on YouTube Red now. You can also get a free month of YouTube Red if you're in the US.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpG0z-npFIY

It's about street cats in Istanbul and there's only one kind of sad bit but the rest of it is just super sweet and beautiful.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
anybody else catch Risk? It was pretty good. Poitras is a pretty fascinating filmmaker. She's creatively gifted but she also happens to find herself positioned smack dab in the middle of history.

These deep web folks are fuckin' maniacs.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
just watched the Herzog volcano doc, pretty dope. which makes me think of:

the firs ttime i ever got Stoned off of weed was watching "Grizzly Man" , while listening to the first Ratatat album

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
anybody ever see a weird doc calld "I think We're Alone Now" - it's about two different autistic dudes who are both obsessed with some one-hit wonder from the 80s. it was good.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Chill Penguin posted:

the firs ttime i ever got Stoned off of weed was watching "Grizzly Man" ,

Chill Penguin posted:

while listening to the first Ratatat album

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

can we count 30 For 30 documentaries in this thread? because "Hillsborough" is top notch. it boggles the mind how 96 people ended up dying in an in-stadium disaster, and even more so that the British government stonewalled justice for over 25 years

Chill Penguin posted:

anybody ever see a weird doc calld "I think We're Alone Now" - it's about two different autistic dudes who are both obsessed with some one-hit wonder from the 80s. it was good.
one was an autistic man and one was an intersex woman who believes in mysticism or astrology or something like that. agreed about it being good though

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
Here's a very good movie you don't hear about much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjGVT4BUG-w

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

I'm a huge wrasslin nerd so your mileage may vary but I rather enjoy Beyond The Mat.

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I'm a huge wrasslin nerd so your mileage may vary but I rather enjoy Beyond The Mat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWn1odAk3IA

dogmother1776
Apr 16, 2016

Plutonis posted:

I liked Happy People: A Year in the Tiaga a lot.

ppl should watch Ron Fricke documentaries too. Samsara is extremely good.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

dogmother1776 posted:

I liked Happy People: A Year in the Tiaga a lot.

ppl should watch Ron Fricke documentaries too. Samsara is extremely good.

samsara is bad imo. hippie bullshit.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Koyaanisqatsi, Powaqqatsi, Baraka, and Samsara all rule. Visitors is also great.

Naqoyqatsi stinks.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

visitors is neat. It says in the credits that they filmed the moon scenes on the actual moon but I could never find any more details about that.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
i have only listened to the philip glass soundtrack many times. the movie looked boring.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

discount cathouse posted:

samsara is bad imo. hippie bullshit.

I like Baraka because he has sword arms

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
Let the Fire Burn about the Philadelphia P.D. bombing the MOVE headquarters is a personal favorite. It'll probably depress the hell out of you though. There's only like one decent human being in the whole thing not including the children.

I'm more into nature documentaries myself. If you've never somehow never seen Attenborough's series you should probably change that. Getting stoned as hell and watching through them all is probably the closest thing I have to religion.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

A CRUNK BIRD posted:

Here's a very good movie you don't hear about much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjGVT4BUG-w

I watched this in college and it ruined a lot of documentaries for me. "Well, sure, that was well made but did it totally reshape my perception on the issue through raw human connection?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I've been watching wartime propaganda films like this one, where the Japanese Rice & Spiritual Energy subsistence diet and allegations of nazi superman vitamin pills are discussed in the context of modern military food science. It's loving great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YueiTnSl_Bo

This channel The Best Film Archives has some crazy poo poo that constantly amazes me.

• Locked thread