Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Secrets of the SAS on Netflix is surprisingly good. I expected a whitewashed motofest, having grown up on Discovery channel military documentaries from either side of 9/11.

But this is the BBC, and they don't gently caress around.

Not only do they allow them to swear, and being they're career military men it would be odd for them not to do so basically all the time, they're extremely candid about everything that isn't classified or illegal.

They all say point blank that combat is scary, but also kind of fun in a way.
They say point blank, that if a woman or child is pointing a gun at them, they're absolutely going to shoot them, and that's that.
They say point blank, that they will brew tea basically anywhere given half a second's chance.

That's weird to hear in a documentary, as like I said, I'm used to watered down American documentaries, which are in no small portion meant to be for recruitment. They also focus heavily on the men themselves, and not so much the tactics or equipment. There's 4 episodes. One of them is specifically about PTSD, which again, is refreshing to see. It's not often that special forces operators will go on camera and present themselves as that vulnerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread