Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

If you really wanna go down that road, I said I spend about $1000 a year on Path of Exile - I donated $10,000 to Games For Love last month. How about you? Am I not allowed to spend any of my own money on myself for things that make me happy?

you're allowed to spend money on whatever the gently caress you want but i'm allowed to say lol

I hope anyone who dumps $500 on this stupid mmo gamble also spends their money on real things that exist as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nulity
Sep 26, 2010

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

If you really wanna go down that road, I said I spend about $1000 a year on Path of Exile - I donated $10,000 to Games For Love last month. How about you? Am I not allowed to spend any of my own money on myself for things that make me happy?

you're allowed to spend whatever amounts of money you want on whatever you like, we're allowed to mock and tease you for casually talking about dropping more money on a singular (1 (one)) game in a year than most of us have available as any discretionary spending for anything at all

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
And we are allowed to think all of you that say lol are loving idiots.

Did we really get anywhere? We've accomplished absolutely nothing except now we think the other party might be kind of an idiot. Lotta good this chat did.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ShowTime posted:

Yeah but you'd be wrong there.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006

Nulity posted:

you're allowed to spend whatever amounts of money you want on whatever you like, we're allowed to mock and tease you for casually talking about dropping more money on a singular (1 (one)) game in a year than most of us have available as any discretionary spending for anything at all

I have no problem with people teasing me or others about dropping a lot of money on video game cosmetics - I know it's funny and I know it's pretty much lighting the money on fire. But some idiot going "wow sure would be nice if you gave that money to charity instead" is pretty loving asinine and quite a different situation.

I usually give more money to charity each year than I spend on myself in that same year. I don't ever brag or ask for special recognition from anyone about it, but loving lol if someone is going try to tell me I shouldn't spend money on myself the way I want to.

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

ShowTime posted:

This is pretty much all I’m thinking as I read through this. These hot takes on how people spend their money are really stupid, and I love how they keep coming back to defend their dumb hot takes. “I’m totally allowed to make fun of you for it lol!”

I haven’t cross checked if these same people are the ones who post in every thread for new/in development MMOs about how bad they all are and how they’re all dumpster fires and failures but those posts sure do get old but it sure feels like it. Half the time, the posters seem to not even play the alpha or launch game and just want to see the game fail. It gets old for sure.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Yeah, I think we’ve covered the $500 thing pretty well. Let’s focus on the new alpha content and the game instead of sniping at each other. I’m guilty of feeding this lil derail but I don’t want things to get nasty.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

Kaysette posted:

Yeah, I think we’ve covered the $500 thing pretty well. Let’s focus on the new alpha content and the game instead of sniping at each other. I’m guilty of feeding this lil derail but I don’t want things to get nasty.

Thank you.

Listen. Game looks alright. It's not where a full-fledged release needs to be, but its not billing itself as that. I literally laughed at people who spent $500 on this game months ago and I'm here still. You can check my post history. I'm not saying it's the next WoW and I'm not saying spend $500 on the beta, but this dev team has actually made a game, or at least the shell of a game and that's what we should be talking about.

I enjoyed checking out alpha streams this weekend and AoC has done a far better job of promoting their game than New World or Lost Ark has. I follow all MMOs and the one that's getting the most coverage, with New World beta on the horizon and Lost Ark years after release: Ashes of Creation. Will it succeed? We'll see. But the game isn't all that bad and if they keep on with their development, it could be a thing. Maybe not a big hit but, if spending $500 to develop that game for a few years of content becomes a thing, well then maybe those that kickstarted this shitpile weren't so out of it.

Gay Rumsfeld
Nov 12, 2006
I could be wrong, but I feel like Lost Ark is more likely to take a bite out of the NA ARPG market than the MMO market. Although, people are absolutely ravenous for any games in either space, so it might take both. A Korean friend of mine who follows LA has said it seems to have an extremely positive future and that people are starting to really love the devs.

New World though is prolly DOA since they're already designing the game with boosts in mind and all that kind of hot garbage.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Gay Rumsfeld posted:

I have no problem with people teasing me or others about dropping a lot of money on video game cosmetics - I know it's funny and I know it's pretty much lighting the money on fire. But some idiot going "wow sure would be nice if you gave that money to charity instead" is pretty loving asinine and quite a different situation.

I usually give more money to charity each year than I spend on myself in that same year. I don't ever brag or ask for special recognition from anyone about it, but loving lol if someone is going try to tell me I shouldn't spend money on myself the way I want to.

It wasn’t in response to you bud i was directly responding to the ffxiv thing

But I’m glad you feel good about donating money

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Ad by Khad posted:

you're allowed to spend money on whatever the gently caress you want but i'm allowed to say lol

I hope anyone who dumps $500 on this stupid mmo gamble also spends their money on real things that exist as well

I do. Oncology isn't cheap hah.

As I've stated before I'm literally dying of cancer.

I can't take it with me.

It's likely to be the last mmo I ever play once it's released.

With lifetime subscription I dont have to worry about it costing me anymore.

I had extra money when I bought it. Still do. Won't for long though.

If it turns out to be great, then even at my worst when I'm completely broke from hospital bills I'll at least have something fun and people to be around as I have Chernobyl piped through my veins.

If it turns out to be bad, well... I'm dying sooner than later so, again, can't take it with me.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
dang thats rough

I'll lol at a lot of things but not that

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ffycchi posted:

I can't take it with me.

If it turns out to be great, then even at my worst when I'm completely broke from hospital bills I'll at least have something fun and people to be around as I have Chernobyl piped through my veins.

If it turns out to be bad, well... I'm dying sooner than later so, again, can't take it with me.

LMAO at spending $500 on an unproven videogame :smuggo:

Your impressions of the game are extremely valuable to the this thread and do very much to color the impressions I and others have on the game. Thank you for sharing your experiences with the title and don't care what a bunch of dumb basement dwelling virgin nerds say about your spending habits. I hope you manage to beat cancer without going broke from our barbaric healthcare system, so you can live out your life to the fullest.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 12, 2021

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
I think everyone just has a bunch of weird pent up emotions from the fact that somehow, year after year, every single MMO launch is either a complete scam, a spectacular fuckup of unpolished unfinished pre-pre-testing quality content, or a relaunch of an Asian MMORPG that has been fleshed out and played through in other countries in a silo for over a decade being released in questionably translated English with an even more questionable monetisation model/malware-quality anticheat/game publisher best known for its raw amount of mobile IAPs.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Ffycchi posted:

I can't take it with me.

I mean in that case go nuts, dude.

It's just that so goddamn many kickstarter MMOs wind up being scams or, at best, complete garbage that it just boggles my mind that there's people who are like "Yeah I'll spend $500 on this unproven, untested, currently nonexistent game in a genre with a spotty-at-best track record", but if I was in your shoes I'd probably say "gently caress it" and do the same kind of thing

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

ShowTime posted:

Thank you.

Listen. Game looks alright. It's not where a full-fledged release needs to be, but its not billing itself as that. I literally laughed at people who spent $500 on this game months ago and I'm here still. You can check my post history. I'm not saying it's the next WoW and I'm not saying spend $500 on the beta, but this dev team has actually made a game, or at least the shell of a game and that's what we should be talking about.

I enjoyed checking out alpha streams this weekend and AoC has done a far better job of promoting their game than New World or Lost Ark has. I follow all MMOs and the one that's getting the most coverage, with New World beta on the horizon and Lost Ark years after release: Ashes of Creation. Will it succeed? We'll see. But the game isn't all that bad and if they keep on with their development, it could be a thing. Maybe not a big hit but, if spending $500 to develop that game for a few years of content becomes a thing, well then maybe those that kickstarted this shitpile weren't so out of it.

The videos I've seen so far aren't terribly impressive, seems generic frankly.

The terrains remind me of Warhammer Online for some reason, which isn't good, that game was just ugly.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
https://youtu.be/5IsSpAOD6K8

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

FrostyPox posted:

It's just that so goddamn many kickstarter MMOs wind up being scams or, at best, complete garbage that it just boggles my mind that there's people who are like "Yeah I'll spend $500 on this unproven, untested, currently nonexistent game in a genre with a spotty-at-best track record", but if I was in your shoes I'd probably say "gently caress it" and do the same kind of thing

You pretty much summed up all my thoughts in a nutshell.

punk rebel ecks posted:

LMAO at spending $500 on an unproven videogame :smuggo:

Your impressions of the game are extremely valuable to the this thread and do very much to color the impressions I and others have on the game. Thank you for sharing your experiences with the title and don't care what a bunch of dumb basement dwelling virgin nerds say about your spending habits. I hope you manage to beat cancer without going broke from our barbaric healthcare system, so you can live out your life to the fullest.

Cheers mate haha, sadly this cancer isn't beatable.

Median expectancy is 12 years...

I'm the 76th person ever to have had it.

It's genetic and it will keep coming back along my lymphatic system until it gets to my brain and well...that's all she wrote.

I moved from the UK where health care is free...but they would have just put me on hospice. Money is better spent on saving a few million people instead of millions to keep one guy alive who is a dead man walking anyways. And I agree with that summation.

Ad by Khad posted:

dang thats rough

I'll lol at a lot of things but not that

Yeah. I've had better times hah. And I'm only 34.

Orv
May 4, 2011

FrostyPox posted:

Yeah, pretty much agree with this entirely.

Sorry Ffycchi, that sucks beyond reason and I hope you can beat the median without it being too rough.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

dang it got real heavy in here! for real though $500 is a lot for a video game but i would try this one out at a more reasonable price.

i'm watchin a stream on twitch and it seems pretty smooth. reminds me of ESO.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

fenix down posted:

dang it got real heavy in here! for real though $500 is a lot for a video game but i would try this one out at a more reasonable price.

i'm watchin a stream on twitch and it seems pretty smooth. reminds me of ESO.

A lot of people have been saying it's a mix of ESO and gw2.

The biggest issue currently is it seems they are trying really hard to do both action combat and tab targeting...

The problem with doing two things is if you don't get them perfect you have two half arsed combat systems.

It actually got to the point that Stephen (the mlm CEO lol) said that if they didn't perfect it by *date I can't remember* they would scrap action combat and move 100% to tab targeting hybrid instead.

Doing two systems that work together flawlessly is hard. who'd have thought....:dafuq:

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
It's like very few MMO's have nailed in both pvp and pve content... and it gets worse if you want to achieve pvp an pve "balance".

While crowd control is absolutely great for pve, it gets pretty difficult to get right for pvp.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Evernoob posted:

It's like very few MMO's have nailed in both pvp and pve content... and it gets worse if you want to achieve pvp an pve "balance".

While crowd control is absolutely great for pve, it gets pretty difficult to get right for pvp.

Honestly the answer is to have PvP and PvE exclusive abilities and different coefficients for shared abilities. Anything else forces you to balance one around the other in a never ending circle jerk of terrible.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Lawlicaust posted:

Honestly the answer is to have PvP and PvE exclusive abilities and different coefficients for shared abilities. Anything else forces you to balance one around the other in a never ending circle jerk of terrible.

You dont even need exclusive abilities.

Just different scaling for PvP and pve.

If target=player
Then exec pvpdamageformula
If target=npc
Then exec pvedamageformula
If target=aoe
Read targetlist
If player
Write pvpdamageformula
If npc
Write pvedamageformula

Obviously a bit more complicated but not much.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Then there's the balance of healing and tanking in pvp for holy trinity mmos. Even exclusively PvP games like LoL and Overwatch gently caress this up on the regular.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Ffycchi posted:

You dont even need exclusive abilities.

Just different scaling for PvP and pve.

If target=player
Then exec pvpdamageformula
If target=npc
Then exec pvedamageformula
If target=aoe
Read targetlist
If player
Write pvpdamageformula
If npc
Write pvedamageformula

Obviously a bit more complicated but not much.

That's what I said. Exclusive abilities for those that can't be shared and different coefficients/formulas for those that are shared.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Looks like Ashes went to sleep, Alpha servers down for foreseeable future. Alpha 2 will happen ~sometime~

Looks like a private server scene is starting idk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRF4KXGHoe0

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

...bros?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

I got an email recently that they switched to unreal engine 5, guess they are still working on the game?

https://youtu.be/vBJ0NG8J9Ng

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Oh hey this game

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is the sole biome in the game snowy mountains as is showcased in that video? :confused:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

LuckyCat posted:

Is the sole biome in the game snowy mountains as is showcased in that video? :confused:

I saw a forest once.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I know nothing about this game, it's history or anything beside that it's a MMO, but based on the video they are trying to hastily slap some default assets together for a narrow corridor for a video to try and scam more money and time out of people for a game that won't come out.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I know nothing about this game, it's history or anything beside that it's a MMO, but based on the video they are trying to hastily slap some default assets together for a narrow corridor for a video to try and scam more money and time out of people for a game that won't come out.

It’s the pet project of an actual MLM scammer. It’s hilarious.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Last I heard they hired a metric ton of actual real game developers and it was all fresh assets, but the guy who ran it was a psycho so they had a hard time holding onto people. Reminds me a lot of the curt schilling thing.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Lead Environment Artist just left to go to Amazon Game Studios. Which now totals 2 Lead developers in 6~ months who have up and left.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

hobocrunch posted:

Lead Environment Artist just left to go to Amazon Game Studios. Which now totals 2 Lead developers in 6~ months who have up and left.

Man, think of how lovely your MMO studio must be when Amazon Game Studios is a step UP.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

this game won't reach the stunning heights of New World

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Thirdhand gossip: apparently the company was, for a time, pretty decent. Pay was good, the juice scammer had managed to hire a lot of good people, he had more than enough money from his scams and wasn't being ridiculous with it like curt schilling so they had just years and years of runway.

People are leaving because the juice guy is too much of a psycho to be a game industry executive. They just don't like working for him. Also he fired a pretty key netcode engineer like 6-12 mo ago in a fit of pique and things have been having problems since. Netcode engineers are, for whatever reason, loving unicorns that everybody needs and nobody can find. Pretty important for an MMO.