Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
I am super pumped for Hawaiian Dwarves Online.

Seriously though. More games that aren't just glorified skinner boxes is a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

poo poo dawg... gnomes with guns??

sign me up for this, how much cash do they need

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
LOL @ giving any money to devs of an MMO of this scale that are not doing their own custom engine. Have fun with another Star Citizen.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 8, 2017

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I like how most people are just here to poo poo on it.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Midig posted:

-They have 0 coders
-only artists and idea people
-everyone on board is underqualified by a huge amount
-a pyramid scheme referral system where you make LESS money if all your referrals recruit people
-The CEO used to run a MLM and has no background in video games

And they're promising to revolutionize the absolutely hardest to make type of video game of all time.

This is a group of people who saw Star Citizen and realized there is absolutely no accountability and they can get away with selling dreams and images of things for an elaborate fantasy for YEARS.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

-They have 0 coders
-a pyramid scheme referral system where you make LESS money if all your referrals recruit people

And they're promising to revolutionize the absolutely hardest to make type of video game of all time.

This is a group of people who saw Star Citizen and realized there is absolutely no accountability and they can get away with selling dreams and images of things for an elaborate fantasy for YEARS.

I was being genuine, please chill.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Midig posted:

I was being genuine, please chill.

I figured, I was just compiling a quick list of how bad this scam is so no poor bastard wanders in here and wastes money on it.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

-They have 0 coders

I'm glad of it

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

-They have 0 coders

This is such a blatant con that I find myself wondering if we should investigate it for ties with Russia.

forge
Feb 26, 2006
It's almost certainly a tax shelter!

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
thank alex for helping russia evade taxes or whatever this is

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
but guys

what if this game is different

what if this game is good

what if

:iiam:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Blazing Zero posted:

thank alex for helping russia evade taxes or whatever this is

:same:

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Midig posted:

Because we went from Ultima, Everquest, Eve, Lineage, FFXI, DAoC, World of Warcraft type games to lovely kickstarter MMOs who are staffed completely by artists and PR and lacking any actual programming talent. Every single loving MMO made this decade has been a reskin of previous games with update graphics but worse everything else. Of course I'm here to poo poo on this, because they've been making GBS threads down our throats for years.

There is no one with any loving talent left in this industry and I really don't expect that to change. The entire MMO industry has devolved into a cesspool to the point where the only people looking to get into it are people that barely graduated with a CS degree but sure do LOVE MMOS and they have a lot of vague ideas about what they want in a game but lack the intellectual know how to code it themselves.

In short, PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Reverand maynard posted:

Because we went from Ultima, Everquest, Eve, Lineage, FFXI, DAoC, World of Warcraft type games to lovely kickstarter MMOs who are staffed completely by artists and PR and lacking any actual programming talent. Every single loving MMO made this decade has been a reskin of previous games with update graphics but worse everything else. Of course I'm here to poo poo on this, because they've been making GBS threads down our throats for years.

There is no one with any loving talent left in this industry and I really don't expect that to change. The entire MMO industry has devolved into a cesspool to the point where the only people looking to get into it are people that barely graduated with a CS degree but sure do LOVE MMOS and they have a lot of vague ideas about what they want in a game but lack the intellectual know how to code it themselves.

In short, PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

:piss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the car on fire is an accurate representation of every single MMO made this decade including FFXIV because man it took them three years to unfuck that game after its initial release.

Every single one reminds me of the goon project to create an island

PookBear fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 10, 2017

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Reverand maynard posted:

Come on now, at least that had potential.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Reverand maynard posted:

Cithen posted:

Come on now, at least that had potential.

Pryce
May 21, 2011
I vaguely remember some other MMO studio that was run by someone with no game development experience who insisted on making every important decision on his own. What what that name again? Hmm.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Hey Alexander DeLarge, are you going to make a thread for Wild West Online, the kickstartered free for all pvp sandbox by new studio 612 Games, the number standing for the amount of times this has been tried before with no success?

Female characters are a $400.000 stretch goal.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Kimsemus posted:

but guys

In that case, Boat finding a way to gently caress it up is almost a certainty.

I can see it now, "No- you hawaiian pubbie dwarf fucks- you can't fish here"

Pryce posted:

I vaguely remember some other MMO studio that was run by someone with no game development experience who insisted on making every important decision on his own. What what that name again? Hmm.

All we're missing are vanity classes for devs only.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 10:47 on May 12, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kimsemus posted:

but guys

I'll buy it on the steam sale for 90 off

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Asehujiko posted:

Hey Alexander DeLarge, are you going to make a thread for Wild West Online, the kickstartered free for all pvp sandbox by new studio 612 Games, the number standing for the amount of times this has been tried before with no success?

This sounds good and promising. Please provide the buttcoin address so I can give them all the buttcoins, tia

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

can this thread be renamed into the Alexander deLARGE Kickstarter Goal Sandbox Appreciation Station and restrict all new threads from our superstar poster to it

thanks friendly mods

e: the full abreviation for mmo filters into sandbox... naice

Blazing Zero fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 12, 2017

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Asehujiko posted:

How'd you know? Not even joking.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

How'd you know? Not even joking.

I wasn't kidding when I said you have an instinctive preference for games that don't sell, it's a research topic that got some attention a few years back. It doesn't mean you're a bad person, the things you like in a product just tend to be things that ensure they'll never turn a good profit.

Lethality is another example except he actually is a huge rear end in a top hat to people that don't agree with him: if he likes a game that's basically the kiss of death even if it makes it to release.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I was just recently trying to remember what that paper was called, thanks.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
A procedurally generated MMO with perma-death and dark souls style combat with open PVP with Dwarf Fortress emergent gameplay with VR support. Turn based combat system job class system free exploration level up free choices perks mobile indie zombie action adventure deep plot dynamic romance retro graphics pixel Warren Spector John Romero and all your favorite old pc developers show up for a huge party permadeath risk vs reward mmo moba sidescroller anime inspired featuring dante from the devil may cry series

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Space Bat posted:

A procedurally generated MMO with perma-death and dark souls style combat with open PVP with Dwarf Fortress emergent gameplay with VR support. Turn based combat system job class system free exploration level up free choices perks mobile indie zombie action adventure deep plot dynamic romance retro graphics pixel Warren Spector John Romero and all your favorite old pc developers show up for a huge party permadeath risk vs reward mmo moba sidescroller anime inspired featuring dante from the devil may cry series

Wow where can I crowdfund this amazing game????

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA - May 10th, 2017

Intrepid Studios is excited to share this new video with backers and fans. With all the support on Kickstarter we want to share something fun with our community, so we are releasing this pre-alpha footage video called "The Art of War."

The video showcases our Ranger/Rogue hybrid class - The Predator. Our stealth driven hero is infiltrating a fully-grown metropolis to try and steal a relic. As he gets into the city and gets his hands on the prize he is then able to signal the impending invasion and the trebuchets' begin their work. This is but a hint of what the beginning stages of a siege and warfare in Ashes of Creation will be like.

You can watch the video HERE

Here is the embed code:

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3UIqmWTGZ2k " frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

We hope you truly enjoy our team's hard work. The video was made with in-game assets and is not pre-rendered. If you have not joined us already, you can find the link to our Kickstarter HERE.

Thanks again to our fans and community for supporting the game. We are very happy to share this video and much more as we continue our journey together.

What is Ashes of Creation?

Set in a fallen fantasy world untouched by civilization for thousands of years our players will rebuild, repopulate, and rediscover this uncharted realm. Our world is ever changing with ruins, beasts, and cities that rise and fall. Weaved into a progressive character system where players hold all the power, the fates of creation are yours to command.

Please feel free to contact us with any questions or requests for interviews and information.

Find us at: https://www.ashesofcreation.com/

About Intrepid Studios

We are currently in development of the world's most unique sandbox MMORPG. Set in a Fantasy realm, Ashes of Creation will be a dynamic experience to the player. Offering a genuine player driven experience. Feel free to follow us on our development journey. Register on our forums, partake in discussions with our Dev team, and watch for exclusive alpha testing opportunities!
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/pressreleases/297810/Ashes_of_Creation_Highlights_Stealth_and_Treachery_in_NewVideo.php

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 09:46 on May 13, 2017

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

The video was taken down

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

This is NOT pre-rendered footage (footage may be machima using purchased stock Unreal Engine Assets)

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Space Bat posted:

but is there going to be procedural generation? im out if not

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

Blazing Zero posted:

but is there going to be procedural generation? im out if not

yeah it was the first thing I said, maybe you need to go back to school ?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
This post is procedurally generated.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

2DCAT posted:

This post is procedurally generated.

:eyepop: Do you have a kickstarter or patreon?

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Reverand maynard posted:

All of those games you listed are still alive to this very day. Some of them are even still good!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
does this game get you fired up??

:dadjoke:

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Asehujiko posted:

What a weird thing to include as a stretch goal. Next stretch goal will be the ability for mobs to hit back. For characters to fight each other (in this pvp game)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
the year of our lord 2017

female characters are a "stretch goal" in video game development

TFW you have to pay the developer more money to include 50% of the human race

:frogon: