Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

FireWhizzle posted:

That said they still haven't announced any network engi's writing a believable MMO scale solution for UE4.

Also they kinda hosed themselves not making a prototype first lmao. The idea of making a game starts with the ability to make a game.

:same:

The folks they identified have no experience with netcode and that's honestly the hardest part. This game is going to fail hard.

Also, they don't even have a prototype to show?! Just... Wtf is with companies continuing to do this. Why havent brain damaged customers caught onto this scamming trend yet?

More importantly, why do people take solace in knowing that game programmers from poorly coded games are going to somehow make things better this time around.

Of note... Programmers in the gaming industry are terrible. Like... Laughably terrible. I think I'd trust someone with a history outside of gaming more than I would with a decade within the industry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They have one programmer, and I don't think anybody is taking solace in that. We've mostly been making GBS threads on them for not actually having programmers in the process at all, because it's a bunch of artists and marketing people making GBS threads in a hat and selling it to you as totally gourmet chocolate, you can trust us.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I am convinced we have been thrown into the clown circus dimension.

Here we are with a 1-day kickstarted MMO with only two programmers, an engine not meant for MMOs out of the box and the head guy made his fortune selling a mangosteen juice knockoff.

Meanwhile, the guy who actually shaped everquest barely got his kickstarter funded and saved by an angel investor, actually has a functioning game made from almost entirely unity assets and a class that only he can play.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Ashes of Creation - A New Beginning

Ashes of Creation posted:

Great things come from small beginnings. In games, it often starts with vision. From years of being involved in the MMO genre, playing games such as Lineage 2, World of Warcraft, and Final Fantasy 14 (among many others) there always seemed to be something lacking. Sometimes PvP was masterfully incorporated into the game, others had dungeons so fun you forgot what PvP even stood for, while a few had great new ideas that were like a breath of fresh air. The problem always seemed to come with the trade you made in order to enjoy a certain aspect. Our vision is to tie all of these elements together, to make a complete game that specializes not in one category, but rather aims for the ultimate goal of perfection. We know: that’s a tall order.

So we wanted to take a step back, to check ourselves before we wrecked ourselves; to really dive into what makes MMOs so addictive, and why we kept coming back to them. The primary question is: What makes an MMO fun, at its core? Well, it’s got to be the thing that makes an MMO an MMO, right? What separates an MMO from all the fantastic Mass Effects and Dragon Ages and Witchers? It’s the MASSIVENESS. It’s the community and the forums and the competition and the people who you’d never meet in real life. It’s that Massively Multiplayer promise. It’s the people that make an MMO what it is. Not a hotbar or a raid boss or a fetch quest. Those are mechanics, those aren’t the genre.

And there was our answer, and there was our game. We decided to focus on mechanics that bring the idea of community to the forefront. To get people to interact with each other meaningfully – not just to conquer a raid boss, or to get some coin from a faceless auction house, but to maybe save a city. A city that all the local residents had a stake in. A city that the players had spent weeks or months developing; the defense of that city, the attack on that city! Or building a world together as a community choosing our own fate with our friends. We believe that’s going to be a story far more memorable and far more meaningful to players than just about anything we can come up with.

So that’s our design philosophy in a nutshell. Give players reasons to interact, and make those interactions meaningful. And make both of those things feel cool and appropriately epic.

In enters our new MMO in development, Ashes of Creation. As you’ve probably guessed by now, we’re creating an MMO based on our core principles as designers; we believe in choice, organic events, player narratives and massive communities. All of these come together in what we call our “Reactive World.” Players will shape the world we create through dynamic quests, castle sieges, our Node system, an economy that goes well beyond the auction house, and player housing (among many other systems). We’ll set up the initial state, you decide where it goes from there.

We are merely the music makers; you will be the dreamer of dreams.

Ashes of Creation begins with us and ends with you, but there are many steps in between. We’ve incorporated some investors, but primarily my own funding has begun the process and we’re well on our way. The team is dedicated, experienced and enthusiastic about what we will be delivering to you, the player. We’re focused on giving you the version of the game we know you’ll love, and to do so we want to keep this as investor-lite as possible (publishing or otherwise). With this in mind, we plan on starting a Kickstarter in the near future. We believe the crowdfunding platform to be perfect for making a game for the player you actually want to attract. Perhaps most importantly, is that it allows you to be involved with our process. Through both financial and creative transparency you’ll be able to have input with design through the developer’s forums, so you see what we’re working on and what’s on our mind.

You’ll see in the coming weeks exactly what we’ve done and what systems are in place. We’ll be regularly posting dev journals, releasing videos, showing off artwork and genuinely keeping a dialogue with the community. That dialogue is very important to us, we want our community to be constantly (and properly) informed. Make sure to register on the forums and become a part of our world!

The story only begins here, we’re excited to provide the pen and see what you write.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
"We believe the crowdfunding platform to be perfect for making a game for the player you actually want to attract. Perhaps most importantly, is that it allows you to be involved with our process. Through both financial and creative transparency you’ll be able to have input with design through the developer’s forums, so you see what we’re working on and what’s on our mind. "

Just lol.... Yes, the only way we can legally include you in the process and give you financial and creative transparency is by asking you to give us money. Literally no other way to do that.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I mean, they aren't wrong about the Kickstarter format being the perfect platform for attracting the type of player they want.

Gullible retards who have currency.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I love reading multiple paragraphs that are written to sound super cool yet remain vague enough to allow the reader to fill in the details with their own desires. Can't wait To be my own boss, set my own hours, and push my own potential while being limited only by own visions of success in this multi-level marketing company mmorpg.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Zaodai posted:

Gullible retards who have currency.

Yooooooooooooo whatsup hey

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Massively Overpowered: Ashes of Creation’s Steven Sharif on his business history, $30M funding goal, and PvP

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

2DCAT posted:

:same:

The folks they identified have no experience with netcode and that's honestly the hardest part. This game is going to fail hard.

Also, they don't even have a prototype to show?! Just... Wtf is with companies continuing to do this. Why havent brain damaged customers caught onto this scamming trend yet?

More importantly, why do people take solace in knowing that game programmers from poorly coded games are going to somehow make things better this time around.

Of note... Programmers in the gaming industry are terrible. Like... Laughably terrible. I think I'd trust someone with a history outside of gaming more than I would with a decade within the industry

Gamers still think FF8 and FF10 had a good plot and storyline so we should never expect good things from ourselves. We should make one of those 4 panel starterpack memes and call it "lowest common denominator" starter pack. We take Kickstarter, Pre-purchase, LOOT crate and Final Fantasy then mix it into one delicious meme.

Midig fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 4, 2017

lalaland
Nov 8, 2012
There should be a law against Kickstarters like this they could call it the law against taking candy from retarded babies

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Another AD thread about a Kickstarter sandboxy MMO.

herewegoagain.jpeg

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I honestly dunno how many times ADL and Node can get hosed without realizing their pregnancies keep being aborted halfway through term

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Guys, guys, with this sweet kickstarter money they could hire 10 programmers for 1 year. Including a netcode bro!

I'm curious though, for games like this do they just use the kickstarter money as a sales pitch to VCs? Cause I think an MMO costs like $50+ million to make. And this game could be cool if it ever gets made.

edit: The vanilla WoW cost over $75M in today's money to make.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 5, 2017

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Pawn 17 posted:

Guys, guys, with this sweet kickstarter money they could hire 10 programmers for 1 year. Including a netcode bro!

I'm curious though, for games like this do they just use the kickstarter money as a sales pitch to VCs? Cause I think an MMO costs like $50+ million to make. And this game could be cool if it ever gets made.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Translation:

My dad would only front half the bill? :iiam:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Pawn 17 posted:

To be fair, it's much less expensive when you're not designing/scripting 5,000 quests by hand. A modern Ultima Online/Star Wars Galaxies would probably cost a fraction of what Wildstar did.

I believe Crowfall/Camelot Unchained's funding numbers includes external funding.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Pawn 17 posted:

What VC would fund a pvp sandbox mmo when every piece of evidence points to the moment you didn't have to play a pvp mmo everyone stopped playing pvp mmos.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Byolante posted:

What VC would fund a pvp sandbox mmo when every piece of evidence points to the moment you didn't have to play a pvp mmo everyone stopped playing pvp mmos.

I'd play a version of eve online that wasn't poo poo.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

minecraft kinda rocks too, if only it wasnt lovely

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Minecraft is very good, but it's not mmo at all.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Pawn 17 posted:

Vanilla WoW was also complete poo poo compared to most MMOs today and simply had the advantage of being one of the first to market.

FireWhizzle
Apr 2, 2009

a neckbeard elemental
Grimey Drawer

SweetBro posted:

Vanilla WoW was also complete poo poo compared to most MMOs today and simply had the advantage of being one of the first to market.

Vanilla WoW beat out it's already established competition in (in copies sold) in it's first 36 hours. It was a very well made game, and built upon a user base that had been cultivated with the Warcraft series.

Vanilla WoW is also better than most MMOs from 2016 and 2017, because it exists, unlike most modern multi-level-marketing schemes MMOs

Vanilla WoW also defined the standards for raid based content, and still does to this day.

:allears: about how it was the most successful MMO ever made a lovely game though

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Vanilla WoW, as much as I dearly loved it (it was my favorite version of WoW!) WAS poo poo game by modern standards, because modern standards have a bunch of quality of life improvements.

The thing is, Vanilla WoW was from over a decade and a half ago. A WW2 fighter would get wrecked, no contest, by modern tech. But the best of its day was still the best of its day. Vanilla WoW was MILES ahead of anything else on the market at the time. And nothing really has bothered to close that gap in the intervening time, because it would cost money and come with risk, and nobody wants to risk that money.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
imagine believing the most successful mmo ever made is poo poo. also imagine 'investing' into pvp sandbox mmo #812. sometimes i wonder if mmo hmo posters operate in an alternate universe

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The key words, again, were "by modern standards".

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Now I know reading every single word in a sentence is hard, but I believe in you.

Like Zaodai said, "by modern standards" is the key word. MMOs that don't actually exist don't count, because they don't loving exist. I honestly can't believe I have to say this. Claiming that WoW was "well-made" ignores the disastrous launch (and several months there after) of being plagued by constant server crashes and game breaking bugs. That's not too mention that on release WoW virtually devoid of content outside of basic themepark grinding which was padded out by it's Korea-tier grind rates. Heck, it didn't even have proper PvP support until a year later. Even it's server capacity was something abysmally small like 1k or 2.5k (I don't remember exactly nor do I care enough to look up which one it was). If we compare the "bare-minimum" of what is expected from a modern MMO, WoW on release would have failed to meet nearly every standard.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Truga posted:

Minecraft is very good, but it's not mmo at all.

It owns on mobile devices, great way to kill time and chill if you want to play a game with depth on your phone or tablet without microtransactions.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Why is anyone comparing a game that launched in 2004 to modern standards. We were playing Grand Theft Auto Vice City on our Playstation 2's when it launched.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

SweetBro posted:

Now I know reading every single word in a sentence is hard, but I believe in you.

That's not to mention that on release WoW virtually devoid of content outside of basic theme park grinding which was padded out by its Korea-tier grind rates. Heck, it didn't even have proper PvP support until a year later.

That did not stop some people from having content.

http://leganerd.com/downloads/angwe/

Midig fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 6, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How did Shroud of the Avatar turn out?

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

SweetBro posted:

Well yes, and yes.

But in 2003 it was god tier and obliterated everything else out there, and all these years later still has a population equal to the rest of the market share and then some.

FireWhizzle already touched on a big reason: They built it on an engine made of MMO gold, it was tough, flexible, and very responsive.

Using the wrong engine (lol star citizen) is setting yourself up from failure from the getgo.

It's always the edgelord thing to poo poo on WoW, but you're quantifiably an idiot if you don't think it was a good game.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 6, 2017

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Blazing Zero posted:

imagine believing the most successful mmo ever made is poo poo. also imagine 'investing' into pvp sandbox mmo #812. sometimes i wonder if mmo hmo posters operate in an alternate universe

Part of it is a generational thing. Few people remember The Before Times.

The same generation has also had a niche group that chased down every singe open pvp MMO that ever made it to closed beta, so it's not like a new thing. However, the popularity of modern survival games seems to have reignited an interest in open pvp, so we may see more of this madness in the future.

Phlegmish posted:

How did Shroud of the Avatar turn out?

Not good. No plans for a release date, since they don't feel anything they add is ever "finished". That should tell you a lot.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Why is anyone comparing a game that launched in 2004 to modern standards. We were playing Grand Theft Auto Vice City on our Playstation 2's when it launched.

Cause people were bringing up WoW's original game budget and I was pointing out that the number was largely irrelevant because although WoW was great for it's time, it's release version is trash by today's standards.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

SweetBro posted:

Cause people were bringing up WoW's original game budget and I was pointing out that the number was largely irrelevant because although WoW was great for it's time, it's release version is trash by today's standards.

...why were they bringing up the budget in the first place, it looks like you didn't keep addressing that so people concluded that "guy thinks good game is bad" instead

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Freakazoid_ posted:

The same generation has also had a niche group that chased down every singe open pvp MMO that ever made it to closed beta, so it's not like a new thing. However, the popularity of modern survival games seems to have reignited an interest in open pvp, so we may see more of this madness in the future.

A lot of the reason dayZ clones are so prevalent currently comes down to these factors:

-Most entry level fps engines now come with adequate netcode to run them without any real knowledge required by the developer themselves
-they are cheap to make because you don't have to do anything than populate a map with poo poo and put in some crafting tiers
-streamers can use it as a way to engage with their audience (play with me style poo poo)
-the more popular ones like h1z1 koth and pubg have really short times between game loops so getting ganked and starting from scratch isn't a huge disaster

None of those things can be embraced by a mmo so yeah

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

I think the reason people are jumping on Ashes of creation is because there are a huge amount of people who likes the idea of a good MMORPG, but are not as fond of it once they try it out. Which is why they are more drawn towards concepts (EVE, Ashes of creation, ARK) rather than solid gameplay (WoW, FF14). These people (me included) are very picky in their MMO choice and forgets that most MMOs no matter what boring grindfests where most of the real challenges are solved by following guides. In fact there is a whole subreddit where 50 percent of them are just looking for a new MMO to play:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/

Midig fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 8, 2017

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I've always found WoW to be super boring. I've tried getting into it multiple times, but it just doesn't work for me. It feels like I'm doing the same quests with different scenery, all of which have been done by countless others in the same way. Maybe it's rose colored glasses or whatever, but I like the sense of adventure and consequence from games like EQ. Quests and raids were something you found and felt like you were doing them in your own way. I've tried quite a few MMOs and don't think there's been something that has scratched that itch since.

Edit:
That isn't to justify dropping cash on crowd-funding scams like this.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cithen posted:

I've always found WoW to be super boring. I've tried getting into it multiple times, but it just doesn't work for me. It feels like I'm doing the same quests with different scenery, all of which have been done by countless others in the same way. Maybe it's rose colored glasses or whatever, but I like the sense of adventure and consequence from games like EQ. Quests and raids were something you found and felt like you were doing them in your own way. I've tried quite a few MMOs and don't think there's been something that has scratched that itch since.

Edit:
That isn't to justify dropping cash on crowd-funding scams like this.

Honestly, I think a lot of this comes down to whatever MMO you really played as your first, in-depth MMO. A lot of people I've talked to seem to have that same feeling, and it really doesn't matter what MMO you started with, whichever one you put a lot of time into first is the one that gets that sense of wonderment to it.

Any subsequent ones end up paling in comparison because they just don't have that same feeling. You've gotten used to MMOs on some level, so your mind now has a frame of reference to compare to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Maybe for most people... I started out with WoW beta, stuck around until mid-BC and came back for 1-70 Cataclysm

But also got really into Warhammer Online and Guild Wars 2 for a while - I liked their settings.