Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

They've raised over 2 million dollars. Jesus Christ. The supplement pyramid scheme scam guy must be patting himself on the back right now for a job well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Zaodai posted:

They've raised over 2 million dollars. Jesus Christ. The supplement pyramid scheme scam guy must be patting himself on the back right now for a job well done.

People are retards, what else is new.

Instead of rewarding talented game devs who set realistic expectations and features for their games, the masses throw money at "idea guys" who have no recent track record, and make wild claims that are literally impossible to do with current technology. Star Citizen money alone could have funded a hundred high quality games, instead of allowing a washed up director working as a used car salesman at the time to buy a new $150K Porsche, a new $15K watch, and take European yacht vacations constantly using backer money.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
2.1 million dollars what the gently caress

12,053 people on this planet are stupider than all the goons who installed archeage

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Ad by Khad posted:

12,053 people on this planet are stupider than all the goons who installed archeage

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

I'm the redacted stretch goal

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Ashes of Creation is a shitbird kickstarter created by nothing but artists that somehow manages to have a pitch full of ugly garbage art.

Star Citizen has spent 5 years creating half a cafeteria scene and burned more money to do it than every poster in this forum will ever see in their lives.

I will admit that one is clearly stupider than the other. But Star Citizen and its Mark Hamill/Gary Oldman/Mystery Tickle Man cameos is a much more entertaining trainwreck.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Ad by Khad posted:

Ashes of Creation is a shitbird kickstarter created by nothing but artists that somehow manages to have a pitch full of ugly garbage art.

Star Citizen has spent 5 years creating half a cafeteria scene and burned more money to do it than every poster in this forum will ever see in their lives.

I will admit that one is clearly stupider than the other. But Star Citizen and its Mark Hamill/Gary Oldman/Mystery Tickle Man cameos is a much more entertaining trainwreck.

More art has been released.

just look at it :allears:

How sieges are going to be won:
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/145224977?t=46m42s
TLDR: do you want to switch question you have 2 remaining? ummmm errr we will release more in blog post. win condition is too complex to explain in 1 minute.

-the mmorpg community has been burned so many times in recent years by games that promised a lot but failed to deliver, is there anything you would like to say to the people that are sceptical about asses of creation
https://youtu.be/hIVnt8SDdrY?t=2378
Its been run by someone who is being jaded by recent mmorpg development that is what makes it different.

If you had to reveal one concern about the game, what would it be?
https://youtu.be/hIVnt8SDdrY?t=1362 masterpiece of answer.
number one concern is the marketing :allears:

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 20, 2017

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Dark Off posted:

More art has been released.
i farted

Phi230 posted:

Asses of Creation

Jackard fucked around with this message at 00:51 on May 20, 2017

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vut1tIsfoww&t=267s
A mountain making GBS threads up a dragon will be included in the game :allears:
Asses of creation

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Asses of Creation

it is known

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ad by Khad posted:

Well with that level of backer cash they'll have no problem getting venture capital.

Guess it's happening one way or another folks.

Still reckon it's going to just be a slightly shinier UE4 KMMO grinder once all is said and done.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

joshtothemaxx posted:

Is this game out yet I've been waiting for EQ3 since 2012 starting to get anxious it'll never happen.

I have some grim news for you, friend.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah after the Everquest Next / Landmark debacle and the sale of SOE to Daybreak nobody should put too much stock in anything that isn't heavy on details and regular progress.

As always, if you do put money down don't expect the finished product remotely on time or to resemble what you wanted it to be.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, EQ Next looked closer to an actual working product in their demos than this does, and was being made by a company that had actually made MMOs in the past and presumably actually had programmers on staff, and it still crashed and burned well before completion. Even if these people get a few million bucks in kickstarter and investor cash, I have no expectation that it'll be completed. If it DOES get completed in any form I'll be shocked, but I'd bet everything I own that it won't be completed with all of the pie in the sky features they're promising. I'd be skeptical of even an actual good and established developer managing to pull that off.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Valatar posted:

Yeah, EQ Next looked closer to an actual working product in their demos than this does, and was being made by a company that had actually made MMOs in the past and presumably actually had programmers on staff, and it still crashed and burned well before completion. Even if these people get a few million bucks in kickstarter and investor cash, I have no expectation that it'll be completed. If it DOES get completed in any form I'll be shocked, but I'd bet everything I own that it won't be completed with all of the pie in the sky features they're promising. I'd be skeptical of even an actual good and established developer managing to pull that off.

To be fair EQ:Next never actually existed and was entirely heavily scripted smoke and mirrors. Even the NPCs were controlled directly by devs because they had zero pathfinding. It was basically a scam from the start, they never showed any additional progress and were largely radio silent. People just assumed it was SOE being quiet, not because the entire company was collapsing into the arms of a Russian investment group that wanted to asset strip.

If the Crowfall people can fart out whatever that's turning into then these people can probably shart out a generic UE4 mmo with some RNG world generation using copy and paste prebuilt assets.

Still no good reasons to preorder though, unless you just want to I guess.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Byolante posted:

A lot of the reason dayZ clones are so prevalent currently comes down to these factors:

-Most entry level fps engines now come with adequate netcode to run them without any real knowledge required by the developer themselves
-they are cheap to make because you don't have to do anything than populate a map with poo poo and put in some crafting tiers
-streamers can use it as a way to engage with their audience (play with me style poo poo)
-the more popular ones like h1z1 koth and pubg have really short times between game loops so getting ganked and starting from scratch isn't a huge disaster

None of those things can be embraced by a mmo so yeah

Actually I think there can be a future for MMORPGs in games that are like a mix of DayZ-type games and MMORPGs. Both genres tap into the same pleasure centers if you really think about it. Both genres involve doing stuff with your friends in a big game world, finding new cool stuff to equip your guy with, becoming more powerful and also meeting other fascinating groups of people and killing them.

Note that none of those things actually require the following things

- ridiculous player counts per server that only serve to make the player feel less unique and interesting because you'll have to wait in line to kill your 10 gremlins
- 20th century MMO combat where everyone just mashes out their rotation in the most efficient way
- auction houses, mail systems, resource economies and other things that seem cool in theory but end up just making the game feel like a chore and less like an adventure
- 50vs50 pvp encounters where no one has any idea what's going on until one group just melts

I know there are some people who enjoy those things and will vehemently defend them in irrational and frankly disconcerting ways; but in my case, and for many other people who aren't weirdo MMORPG lunatics, the fun things about MMORPGs have very little to do with those MMORPG trademark features and a lot to do with just doing stuff with your friends in a large game world. All my friends were really big into WoW back in the day, but can't be bothered to play any MMORPGs nowadays because they're all just grindy uninteresting themepark poo poo. However, they love games like PUBG, HotS, Overwatch, Diablo and other games where you can play with your friends, have some sense of progress and have also have fun. It honestly seems like Blizzard has realized this and are now focusing on creating fun games that you can play with your friends instead of straight up themepark MMORPGs. Even Titan was scrapped and built into Overwatch.

In my opinion the best way to build an "MMORPG" in 2017 would be to focus on creating an interesting game world with a decently big player count of about 100 per server, good action-oriented gameplay by modern standards, RPG-style progress and PvE-integrated PvP where you compete with other groups of people to do things, like raid dungeons or something, and have a chance to create those funny Twitch.tv clips where your friend who is playing the hambone mage manages to get a triple whopperdagger on an enemy group and solo kill them, and then everyone laughs on discord. Kind of like a Dark Souls DayZ or something

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The problem with that is a bunch of 100 man servers tend to be expensive if they're all going to be super-responsive action gameplay, and you either end up with the Survival game type thing where none of the instances talk to each other which means if 70 of the 100 people on your node stop playing after an hour, you now live on a dead server, or that none of your progress means anything because you lose it the next time you log in and get pulled to a new server.

The one main thing that survival games and MMOs do have in common however is that they're breeding grounds for half-assed shovelware full of promises people can't keep, lovely retread ideas, and horribly coded janky garbage that plays about as smooth as a sandpaper handjob.

The ultimate problem the "next generation" of MMO is going to face is finding a business model that can sustain the monetary outlay required to run an infrastructure to support an appreciably different playstyle than what currently exists. Everybody wants to cheap out and run their game on a potato with a coathanger coming out of it. That poo poo isn't going to work, and until they get over it, you'll get your various tab targeted MMOs and occasional moderately laggy action MMO.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Zaodai posted:

The problem with that is a bunch of 100 man servers tend to be expensive if they're all going to be super-responsive action gameplay, and you either end up with the Survival game type thing where none of the instances talk to each other which means if 70 of the 100 people on your node stop playing after an hour, you now live on a dead server, or that none of your progress means anything because you lose it the next time you log in and get pulled to a new server.

Well without getting into the design of this hypothetical dream-game too much, I was thinking that your personal progression would be saved on the cloud, and the actual server you end up on is chosen more or less randomly when you log in every day. You would also be able to hop servers manually to join your friends. When the server you're on becomes depopulated, it would automatically put your character onto a more populated server the next time you leave a city or something.

That would kill server-specific politics though so I guess that's kinda bad for the people who really care about those

Also interestingly, the game that I'm currently looking forward to scratch that MMORPG itch is some french indie game called Absolver, and that game just streams players into your session as it goes, and you can do whatever with them. There may not be 1000 players in your game world, but it will more or less feel populated because you're constantly coming across new dudes in your immediate area

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 18:30 on May 25, 2017

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Zaodai posted:

The problem with that is a bunch of 100 man servers tend to be expensive

Only if made by people who don't know what the gently caress they're doing. If you're going to do sharded servers for an MMO you have an auto-scaling setup with AWS or someshit with a bunch of Docker containers for all the micro-shards. "super-responsiveness" has almost jackshit to do with server cost since you're bottleneck is networking latency, not CPU cycles, so you can jam a bunch of 100 man shards onto a single large EC2 instance whose cost is negligible if each shard has at least one $15 or something subscriber since you're down scaling instance amount and size based on peak.

Like these are all problems that have been solved before, they just require a sufficient knowledge of technical know-how to implement which all of these companies clearly lack.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

SweetBro posted:

Only if made by people who don't know what the gently caress they're doing. If you're going to do sharded servers for an MMO you have an auto-scaling setup with AWS or someshit with a bunch of Docker containers for all the micro-shards. "super-responsiveness" has almost jackshit to do with server cost since you're bottleneck is networking latency, not CPU cycles, so you can jam a bunch of 100 man shards onto a single large EC2 instance whose cost is negligible if each shard has at least one $15 or something subscriber since you're down scaling instance amount and size based on peak.

Like these are all problems that have been solved before, they just require a sufficient knowledge of technical know-how to implement which all of these companies clearly lack.

For action MMOs, 100 people on the same screen all doing anime teleport flip kicks in realtime would take up a fair amount of processing power to keep track of all of them while they're all interacting with each other. For it being "solved", nobody bothers to do it, suggesting it hasn't actually been solved suitably.

If it were that cheap and easy, I can't bring myself to believe that every company just elects to use garbage backends for their games to save an extra $200 or something.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The single largest stumbling block to playing a action mmo with your friends is that foreigners who weren't European during the early days of wow played on us servers. A tab target mmo, especially wow with its incredible server client system was fineat the 3-400ms latency you always had. I can still raid fine in the hardest mythic content on that ping. For Somme reason Destiny works ok as well. Mobas are fine. But a game that has model collision and free aim will be a disaster.

As a result a lot of you potential market who associate playing online games with playing with Americans will out of the gate not play because of latency. Multiplayer games with large team pops and action combat are never going to work.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Zaodai posted:

For action MMOs, 100 people on the same screen all doing anime teleport flip kicks in realtime would take up a fair amount of processing power to keep track of all of them while they're all interacting with each other.

Not at all. Such computation costs are incredibly cheap CPU usage wise. Like literal microseconds cheap. The only thing CPU computations struggle with is physics simulation (for what god forsaken reason you would decided to do a serverside physic simulation is beyond me), but assuming you do, you can just grab an instance with a GPU attached (granted a bit more expensive), and offload the math to that. Again though, not CPU issue. The real issue is in the networking layer where a 100ms message is considered "average" and is already tens of thousands times slower than than whatever computation it carried.

Zaodai posted:

For it being "solved", nobody bothers to do it, suggesting it hasn't actually been solved suitably.

If it were that cheap and easy, I can't bring myself to believe that every company just elects to use garbage backends for their games to save an extra $200 or something.

I said it was possible to do cheaply, I never said it was easy. I actually said the opposite. The problem is that the game-dev industry has a massive brain-drain in terms development talent. Anyone who could setup such an infrastructure is either getting paid a dickton at Blizzard to stay at Blizzard (just using Blizz as an example here), a dickton literally in any other industry, or went small-time indie to make their own project and actively avoid projects like this like the plague. That being said, it's not like systems like this don't exist in the wild. Such infrastructure is basically the norm for any SaSS product outside of the industry. I know for a fact that Riot is using this to host games (except going the other way, rather than 10 Docker images of 100 players per instance, they have 100 images of 10 players per instance [the actual numbers idk, but it's likely somewhere in this range if not higher]).

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!
If Netflix can do it, so can a game where someone decides to dump $200mil (hah!) into designing a similar on demand server infrastructure in the cloud. So your local area has 100 players just like your favorite DayZ clone, where you go about your day with friends and fight in small action-packed engagements. The actual world is huge and has 10,000 players in it at the same time, and you load up next areas seamlessly as you go around and new instances are spun up on the fly. ONE DAY PEOPLE!

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
PC Gamer: There's something strange about Kickstarter's most successful MMO

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Rad Russian posted:

If Netflix can do it, so can a game where someone decides to dump $200mil (hah!) into designing a similar on demand server infrastructure in the cloud. So your local area has 100 players just like your favorite DayZ clone, where you go about your day with friends and fight in small action-packed engagements.

Except you don't need to pay $200mil to design something that's already been designed. Unless what you meant $200 mil to maintain it, which is an equally stupid notion since your cost scales to usage so you don't need to worry about have a $200 maintance bill unless you actually have a Netflix size userbase.

Rad Russian posted:

The actual world is huge and has 10,000 players in it at the same time, and you load up next areas seamlessly as you go around and new instances are spun up on the fly. ONE DAY PEOPLE!

Yeah, a game called Planetside 2 does that.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

lol, this game is going to end up being a bigger scam than star citizen

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012
Goons getting called out on MMORPG.COM as though this article is some kind of Goon offensive against the game. Those folks are seriously deranged.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/464558/pc-gamer-theres-something-strange-about-ashes-of-creation/p1

Orv
May 4, 2011

Calidor posted:

Goons getting called out on MMORPG.COM as though this article is some kind of Goon offensive against the game. Those folks are seriously deranged.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/464558/pc-gamer-theres-something-strange-about-ashes-of-creation/p1

One dude says some bad poo poo about EVE goons, another sort of implies that maybe the article author is bad because he's a goon, that's about it. How you even found that thread probably speaks more about you here.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Wouldn't goons liking the game be more damning of it being a poo poo game? As a community, we don't have the best track record for enjoying particularly well-made games.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/868663680627597312
https://twitter.com/real_lethality/status/868786631498768384

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

lol at the confidence game "I will refund everyone back if I ever fail to deliver the project" yeah star citizen had that too and if it weren't for goons finding new ways to pressure them they would have clammed up a long time ago with the refunds.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Only a few days left to piss your cash up against the wall folks.

Sorry I meant to say "back a promising project that won't be in a state you would want to play for another 2-3 years".

Also don't forget the key words: Sub model in 2017 for a product 14 months in development and probably 3-4 years from final release. A sure recipe for success.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'd happily pay a subscription for a good MMO in 2017.

Sadly, that would be a discussion for another thread. :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Calling this now based on every other non-WoW sub model mmo:

After 12 months it will go B2P or F2P and the cash shop will be just as prevalent regardless.

Anyway we can revisit this idea in 2020 :v:

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

DancingShade posted:

After 12 months it will go B2P or F2P and the cash shop will be just as prevalent regardless.

This game will never ship in a workable state. It's made by a bunch of idea guys who ran pyramid schemes before.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Rad Russian posted:

This game will never ship in a workable state. It's made by a bunch of idea guys who ran pyramid schemes before.
we just need to drain the swamp of these career developers

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

TheAgent posted:

we just need to drain the swamp of these career developers

Artists are not developers. :argh:

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

I really want this game to be real and to happen and was THIS close (had actually chosen to back it and clicked the button) to backing it. But I just can't see such an inexperienced team pulling off this game when much more experienced teams have failed with similar claims. But I still want to believe!

Calidor
Aug 11, 2012

Zaodai posted:

Artists are not developers. :argh:

Software Artists are! Or were, way back when EA first started at least:

http://www.filfre.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Anzeige_Can_a_computer_make_you_cry.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I don't think I'd ever want to be in a position where EA is my defense.