Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

a neurotic ai posted:

All of the grind exists to give casual players something to do. Grogs complain there is too much busywork so they can’t raidlog, they have to do said busywork because it offers meaningful power upgrades. They want that content removed or made redundant.

I should rephrase that I don’t mean catchup mechanics in terms of getting alts up to speed, I mean catchup mechanics that keep casual players and hardcore players closer in terms of absolute numerical power, despite the vast chasm of effort between them.

I get what you're expressing. An end game character's power needs to be a properly scaled logarithm of reward vs effort so you can put in more effort to get a little more advantage but not so much so that people who don't play constantly feel useless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

sharknado slashfic posted:

Finally, something will free me from WoW

Remove the stone of shame. Attach the stone of triumph! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Z0iyBNxpk

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Cardboard Fox posted:

Sounds like it's going to be a typical MMO launch then!

As long as it actually comes out and it's fun ganking people when you're leveling then it's meeting expectations for a PvP MMO. That was about the only value of playing New World but that was enough for me.