Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The best thing would be for them to take the money, slap together a bog standard KMMO style grinder using UE4 with some passing references to whatever unique features were promised (we'll call those "future content updates" that may or may not ever appear) then release with a shiny in game cash shop.

Then go F2P after the first year like everything else does. Oh you spent $300 on what amounts to a single costume in this otherwise forgettable MMO?

Good for you friend, good for you.

(forgot to mention this but just in case anyone wasn't already assuming it: gamble boxes out the arse too)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Daztek posted:

An Asset Flip MMO would be quite something

i'm thinking 2-3 years after launch it vanishes into obscurity, only visible on some "our games" menu on NCSoft, Nexon or Aeria Games website.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Kimsemus posted:

so how long until people start being goonie about who is running the guild for this game that doesn't exist

if you need me, I'll be on my discord ( https://discord.gg/bp6dg7w )

Anyone who played Archeage and isn't a moron will be running a country mile from any large scale goon guilds in future.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SweetBro posted:

Fishing.

Pact.

*que laughter*

Never forget :australia:

The best part about that was I'd already bailed on the main goon guilds in Archeage after being in alpha wave 1 because I saw all that poo poo coming a mile away. Turbospergs who hate each other in the same guild forming their own cliques? Yes I'm sure that will end well.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ad by Khad posted:

2.1 million dollars what the gently caress

12,053 people on this planet are stupider than all the goons who installed archeage

Well with that level of backer cash they'll have no problem getting venture capital.

Guess it's happening one way or another folks.

Still reckon it's going to just be a slightly shinier UE4 KMMO grinder once all is said and done.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah after the Everquest Next / Landmark debacle and the sale of SOE to Daybreak nobody should put too much stock in anything that isn't heavy on details and regular progress.

As always, if you do put money down don't expect the finished product remotely on time or to resemble what you wanted it to be.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Valatar posted:

Yeah, EQ Next looked closer to an actual working product in their demos than this does, and was being made by a company that had actually made MMOs in the past and presumably actually had programmers on staff, and it still crashed and burned well before completion. Even if these people get a few million bucks in kickstarter and investor cash, I have no expectation that it'll be completed. If it DOES get completed in any form I'll be shocked, but I'd bet everything I own that it won't be completed with all of the pie in the sky features they're promising. I'd be skeptical of even an actual good and established developer managing to pull that off.

To be fair EQ:Next never actually existed and was entirely heavily scripted smoke and mirrors. Even the NPCs were controlled directly by devs because they had zero pathfinding. It was basically a scam from the start, they never showed any additional progress and were largely radio silent. People just assumed it was SOE being quiet, not because the entire company was collapsing into the arms of a Russian investment group that wanted to asset strip.

If the Crowfall people can fart out whatever that's turning into then these people can probably shart out a generic UE4 mmo with some RNG world generation using copy and paste prebuilt assets.

Still no good reasons to preorder though, unless you just want to I guess.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Only a few days left to piss your cash up against the wall folks.

Sorry I meant to say "back a promising project that won't be in a state you would want to play for another 2-3 years".

Also don't forget the key words: Sub model in 2017 for a product 14 months in development and probably 3-4 years from final release. A sure recipe for success.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Calling this now based on every other non-WoW sub model mmo:

After 12 months it will go B2P or F2P and the cash shop will be just as prevalent regardless.

Anyway we can revisit this idea in 2020 :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Space Bat posted:

just so you guys know Im making a video game where the world is real and all the NPCs have real brains and think and will do quests and fight other npcs before you, also the world will have real simulated politics because I used procedural algorithims and, uh, mother fuckin science bitch. give me one million dollars

You need these special VR glasses to play this game that cost a mere thousand bucks a pop.

*hands over a pair of regular glasses*

You'll find it's very realistic and it generates an algorithm off your actual real world location. But don't worry you can totally do whatever you want and attack whatever you want, it's all part of the game.

*slips out the side door with a messenger bag stuffed with cash*

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If there are any "content" updates in future we should try to figure out which asset pack(s) they are taken from.

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplace

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
All they really need is someone to manage the website and someone else to make pretty 3D models of things they can sell to players in the cash shop before the game* exists yet.

*game may not actually exist

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

clone on the phone posted:

Sky forge was so pretty and had cool combat but of course they hosed it all up

Skyforge had a lot of good things going for it and one god-awful designed for mad credit card swiping progression system.

I liked the core game play loop & dungeons for the most part but yeah... killed by bad design. Like a fully intact designer race car only someone made it entirely out of dried pasta or something.

I was once dragged to some high level dungeon by a random high level person I didn't know (I'm talking major, major character power disparity) and my character never replaced any of the drops. Never had a reason to.

If anyone is curious and wants to waste bandwidth finding out what I mean, go ahead. But don't come back mad once you figure it out.

https://sf.my.com/us/news/announcements/viper-trophies-packs-are-now-available

Didn't take long to find an example. Spend real money and obtain a weapon that boosts your class abilities that isn't obtainable any other way.

Like, I'm certainly guilty of spending money to obtain an in game advantage in various games (because gently caress grinding, my free time is more valuable) but this is simply :suicide:

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Aug 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Schubalts posted:

Guess who just hopped on a bandwagon.

https://sf.my.com/us/patchnotes?_1ld=2634156_0&_1lp=1

They added a standalone BATTLE ROYALE MODE, complete with shrinking map.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BulFwGSi8bc

At the thirty second mark imagine the music stopping with a record scratch while diarrhea occurs on a toilet with spectacular echo.