Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.
Ya, they really could have played with design like BDO, or gone cartoony, or gone ultra stylized, going bland is going to be a huge loss from the people who like Transmog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

cmdrk posted:

everquest's netcode was so good for its day (modem-era) that it is completely playable on an airplane wifi today.

I was able to play EQ on Dial up and other stuff. Part of it is that the world runs on 3 and 6 second ticks, so it needs a LOT less bandwidth vs say an FPS. To make things more fun the netcode is not encrypted (still?!?).

The guys who made DDO talked about how hard it was to get the Netcode right. Things that work in a normal videogame stop working in MMOs for all kinds of reasons. Player Dodge for example has a lookback feature because from the players point of view they dodged the attack, from the server POV the attack connected. Assuming you want dodge to work at all you need the damage code to wait for a few CPU cycles to see if any player actions client side change the outcome.

Game Dev netcode is known for being crazy amounts of spaghetti, but if you talk to the guys who make it, its that way because at design time no one would know you needed lookback on every damage role.

Things get even more nuts when you talk about stuff like Unreal and how it were built for Single player. Many systems in the base engine are built around proximity to the player, most fixes basically are, set min proximity for full calculation to big number. This of course breaks the game in all kinds of other ways related to optimization. Imagine in WOW if you had to fix the simulation of a rat in Stormwind but send that data to a client in undercity for the game to not optimize the rat out of existence (because said rat, may or may not be eaten by a cat).

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Kaysette posted:

It’s the pet project of an actual MLM scammer. It’s hilarious.

Hay, if I had stupid amounts of money, I might also fund an MMO based on the exact specs I want. I'd hate for my only claim to fame to be an MLM scammer.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

Yeah, I am hoping they’ll pull it off…but I’m not buying stuff for a game that isn’t even out yet. I will happily pay for a game, a subscription, and even the occasional cosmetic from a real money cash shop!

From a finished game, of course. I played both EQ and WoW day 1, in the days before all quests and gear were datamined in beta. But I’m not paying one cent for a game that isn’t done yet.

Both of those games, while not "done" had huge teams pumping out content and watching the populations to make sure things were going right. By the time of a Beta the games were close to "done".

This is not going to be the case with AOC

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think the "next big mmo" that doesn't have a infinity dollar budget will be something that goes back to the roots of text-based and graphicless or bare-bones graphics (like curated AI art backdrops to the text)

We're at the point where everything old is new again, judging by re-re-makes of everything that already happened 30+ years ago, so why not a high quality text-based mud?

A lot of the old MUDs are still online. Aside from the few people who wanna go super old school the demand for text based MUDs is really low.

But you are on to something here. You really do not need WoW levels of armor and gear, you can take WoW classic level graphics, mix in some really iconic ideas for what a persons progression should look like (Leveling, dungeon Crawler, Raider) and I think you have something.

Even better if your goal is to build a world over trying to do what later xpacs did in WoW in making everything about the player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

xZAOx posted:

I can't wait until this game launches after 15 years of development then everyone is bored after 2 months because they've done all the content.

The MMO industry has gotta realize at some point that 7-10+ year dev cycles are stupid, and figure out some other way to handle things. Mainly fighting scope creep and figuring out the right amount of content for launch, with more frequent content updates thereafter.

Like, it's a hard challenge to solve, sure, but it's not impossible. A lot of these long delays seem to be from constant reiterating before anything is in the hands of players. Big design changes when stuff is already years in development. Also see: pantheon, lol.

MMO teams cant even get tooling down well anymore. EQ had 1 Dev assigned to a zone, say Unrest. He had some support for itimization, perhaps someone else did the NPC models or perhaps he could take from a bank of models even. If you think this is strange warcraft 3 did the exact same thing and Starcraft 2 used 2-3 devs per map (but 1 owned it). Even Fallout 4 cunked up its world in to neighborhoods and gave each to a single level designer with one guy creating the areas bettween neighborhoods. The ability to give the tools to a level designer and enough freedom to that designer to make something good in a few weeks is key.

Todays teams dont have generalists like this, they have one guy whos job is map design, someone else who populates it, a 3rd who does the writting, people who do Itemization, someone else for sound and on it goes. Each of these people don't get to see the big picture, just their part of the pipeline. The team leads might have to manage the vision, so they provide the D&D inspired map. The above process is many times more costly vs giving a guy who wants to tell a mostly self contained story with his map section. For MMOs you need that economey of scale of being able to let one person go nuts and make Unrest 2.0 with a few vague notes and some storyline beats to hit. Same as Warcraft 3.

Now Pipeline style is not always bad, BG3 was built with a very impressive pipeline but it took them 2 games before BG3 and a budget people would dream of to make a game that good. MMOs do not have the money today to pull this off.