Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Zaodai posted:

Gullible retards who have currency.

Yooooooooooooo whatsup hey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
The interview with Shroud and Summit and the fact that it has Australian servers already confirmed has absolutely put this game on the map for me. I remember looking at this game like 1-2 years ago and not at all being that impressed but it seems like they've come pretty far. Eager to see how this one pans out- unlike NW... (I ain't preordering poo poo these days though)

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

frajaq posted:

Asmongold is interviewing the CEO out of nowhere on his stream and he's promising a LOT of stuff and systems that interact with eachother

Kinda suspicious considering all the past MMOs that also promised that stuff, some stuff sounds very over-designed

Not going to blame him for doing PR (and pretty good PR at that). I don't think it's over designed but more the scope is too big. None of these systems are really that complex. But yeah, at this point I'm cautious about any MMO. Pre-ordering is for suckers.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Space Monster posted:

Sounds pretty dope. I'm ready to slavishly defend this to the death, and will, after the inevitable disappointment, pretend that I was never invested at all.

The only realist in this thread. I want to prepurchase (preorder packs) this poo poo so loving bad and I have no idea what makes me this way. Am I brain hosed? Has Blizzard broken me? (Yes)

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 21, 2020

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

my first thought on finishing the video was that the flying mount thing signifies that it was made by a total grognard lead

like, why bother putting flying mounts in the game if only 10 people out of 10k are gonna even have them? spend the dev time doing anything else.

They're supposed to act as Daenaeys-esque PvP raid bosses. Where they can lay down aoe fire etc, since you can kill them. So your guild leader would be the one on this great big dragon. Whether or not it plays out like that though is another thing.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
I personally think we'll see large "community grinds" that essentially time gate high level content such as Metropolis raids, and give breathing room for them to develop it after the game has released. Maybe I misheard it but if they truly are releasing unique node content, that's going to be a pretty hefty order, if each one comes with a dungeon or raid boss that presents a potential 100+ raid bosses they need to design. This part specifically worries me. Everything else though I think honestly they could do fairly easily.

Also has there been any mention to fix the netcode / movement? This for me is a deal breaker.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

doomisland posted:

They did a battle royale to test the combat system during which they found some issues and fixed them to allow for large scale battles, if i understood correctly. So they're confident in 250v250 and now theyre next target is to try and support 500v500.

I wasn't referring to the raiding of Metropolis, I was referring to Raids that are unlocked when you get a Metropolis. I don't know if anyone's doing rough numbers on quests etc, and I don't know the facts so I could be completely off base here, but if they're actually planning unique content for all the nodes, lets say there's 5 levels, and each level is 4 quests, 1 dungeon starting at level 3/4/5 and 1 raid at metropolis level, that's 5 raids at least they need at launch (but even possibly maybe 6), some absurd amount of quests- 100 nodes, lets say on average every node is level 3 in 2 months, that's like 1200 unique quests and 100 dungeons. Obviously these numbers are just guesses, but without some serious time gating they're going to have their work cut out for them. I also worry that Metropolis' will take so long to build and be basically a pushover for a good guild, basically barring people from raid content in the game (or something to that nature). All in all Intrepid have their work cut out for them.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Space Monster posted:

(Dungeons and raids won't be tied to specific nodes though. They'll be points of interest scattered around the map that get 'activated' when a nearby node grows and extends it's zone of influence to where that dungeon is. So they may not need anything like one dungeon-per-node.)

Stormgale posted:

Also I believe each node has a zone which may overlap?
so say 4 nodes all surround amountain, each of them might unlock the same dungeon in that mountain?

This makes a little more sense actually, I probably just heard "unique dungeons / raids" and also "dungeons and raids tide to nodes" and figured it was what it meant.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Killstick posted:

I am excited for this video game in which I plan to pay 15 dollars a month to mine iron in a cave and then have it stolen by other players.

And we thank you for your service.

Apparently, taking summoner as your main class will give you access to summons, and then the augment of the second class will change those summons drastically, such as the Cleric making the summons now Undead and turning you into an actual Necromancer rather than just by name alone. Honestly this game sounds like a dream to me, it can't possibly go down this well.

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 28, 2020

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Vanguard Warden posted:

Ah right, I had forgotten about the old Diablo 2 "8 zoo necros in a single game" framerate experience. I for one look forward to 250 vs 250 summoner only PvP battles, else promises have been broken. :colbert:

I mean keep in mind, that's just Summoner / Cleric. But Summoner / Summoner is probably going to double down on the ability to summon poo poo and have more poo poo to summon.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

It’s only a debug feature if you don’t care about how finished the terrain looks from flight. This exact thing is the reason why blizzard had to redo the old world for cataclysm. You can’t hand wave it away as “lol no clip” because that’s objectively not what it is. If everyone is stuck on the ground you get to cut some corners and make certain things not actually solid, since players can’t reach them, but now suddenly you have to do all that work because you want a couple of guys to feel special? If it’s supposed to be a pvp raid thing, you can still do that with just big monsters that the guilds can capture as a group and keep around for defending sieges.

The whole thing stinks of weird grognard desires of being the king of the world and lording it over peasants. Coupled with this being the brain child of this dude paying for devs to make his vision and it’s really not hard to see how this is gonna turn out.

It's 2020 though, technology has come far enough where you won't even have "unconnected textures" in the mountains anyhow, a computer is just going to handle all that non-sense and blend it all. Making your world look pretty from more than just what a player on the ground can see is also not just for flying mounts but allows you to add a lot more verticality in the game if you wish- I mean, I don't want flying mounts as much as the next guy, but at this point I'll take an autistic vision where 80% of the ideas are actually good and a chance to fail over whatever the gently caress people think is good in MMO's right now like ESO / FF14 (because those games are genuinely top shelf poo poo) and sacrifice 30 people on flying mounts on the server.

I genuinely believe this game has as much chance as any other MMO to succeed but at least they're listening, so go to the forums and argue your case on why there should be zero flying mounts because like what's the other loving option? Wait 10 more years for Pantheon to say "Actually, we've run out of money and the game isn't done"

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Jul 29, 2020

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
I really hope they don't listen to Asmongold's garbage suggestions on world PvP. World's biggest carebear can't even stand it if he has to PvP for farming territory...

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

a neurotic ai posted:

and making the world this constantly shifting thing that requires vast amounts of time to properly participate in just seems like it would be exhausting for all but the groggiest of nards.

What do you really expect from this type of game though? It's like- Yes it's an MMORPG but the key really is making it fun for the casual and hardcore alike. If you feel like you have no impact on the game then it's poorly designed- which goes for the hardcore also. Though, their impact should be entirely different, it's still a goal to make it satisfying for everyone. But that's like the age old unanswered game designed question "How do we get everyone to play". It also sounds like you're a little annoyed that you know you'll never be in a role that gives you a flying mount? Neither will I? I don't care though.

Assuming the game is good and fun my only goal is to terrorize everyone in PvP and be in a guild that actively fights for nodes regardless of the PvE advantages. As long as I can get a bit of "notoriety" for my self, in a sense that people know who I am (I don't even need to be good at the game) I think my goal is complete.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Stormgale posted:

I think it's going to be even worse than that.

One of two things will happen over tiime IMO:

A) there is a static "Optimal" node pattern for maximum world bosses, loot, dungeons, the worlds all shift towards that.

B) If there's no one true static option, the worlds will eventually shift into cycling the best patterns (say you keep swapping between 2 nodes capped to summon 2 different bosses)

You are only coming from the point of view of a PvE player. Traders that don't care about PvE and will care about the nodes utilities, and PvP players will care about destroying your castle and getting your loot. Yes, there will be "cycles" but ideally these cycles are contradicted by each play style and people form different groups based on their needs.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

a neurotic ai posted:

Either they let the streamer overlords essentially shape and control the world as they choose, in which case it is a sweatfest, or they implement some sort of 'catch-up' or casual empowerment mechanic to bridge the gap, in which case the grogs will get mad.

Okay I get what you're trying to get at, like the whole "a frigate in EVE can still tackle a battleship and be useful" kind of gameplay. Yeah well, WoW is an incredibly lovely game (these days) made by people who stopped caring about the overall feel of it and care more about money. With the exception of low level players, any MMO that does things correctly should be keeping the gap between the grognards and the casuals relatively small. The further you increase the gap the less fun it is for the majority of your playerbase. Even for me, if that gap is too big I won't like the game either but then I don't think anyone will. How they fix it is really the key, you just can't be giving people free items every 2 months to catch them up- It completely defeats the purpose of an MMO (And all the other poo poo WoW does.) Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Steven answered somewhere (Maybe Summit1g's interview) that the max difference between a geared player and a casual will be 50%. That's pretty drat good honestly, if you can 2v1 the best player on the server as some lovely geared idiots, I think you're useful.

Vanguard Warden posted:

This sounds plausible, but then I'm reminded of how WvW in Guild Wars 2 eventually just became two giant zergs rotating around the map in circles trading forts back and forth because that was better for XP and rewards than anything involving actual fights.

Stormgale posted:

I'm assuming the PVP players want to fight the bosses for loot, so sure they might fire over things but as we've seen in wow classic with the scarab lord, people will easily put PVP to the side for prestiege, also win trading. I think there are going to be more players who want access to better loot (including pvpers) who will fight the "burn em all down" types

I'm not saying they don't have their work cut out for them in balancing the wants / needs for having different Metropolis, but that's Intrepid's entire goal. If they fail and everyone wants to have the same Metropolis or rotate between say 8 of them then they've really hosed up. Time will tell, but that's at least the plan.

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Aug 3, 2020

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

a neurotic ai posted:

I'm not clairvoyant, but my suspicion is that if AoC is unable to cater to that kind of player (currently it seems like it isn't), it will die as it does not have the resources to sustain a feature set that is roughly 1.5x-2x as broad as most other MMOs.

I think you're wrong and honestly everything you're saying is so far off base, it almost feels like you hate MMO's in general but at the same time you clearly don't want to see them change. If you genuinely just don't want to play MMO's that's totally fine but saying WQ's is good for the casual is the most laughable thing I've ever heard I just can't. I don't want to be rude but you're 100% wrong.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Biowarfare posted:

unrelated opinion: as a casual mmo player, the absolute last thing I want is any form of armory-esque lookup by others, any kind of logfile uploading or dps parsing

Nah you're right. Bring back the wonder and community.

They're peaking so early honestly, they should tone them back a little bit. Where do you even go from here? You end up making flying boats like WoW has..

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 4, 2020

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

a neurotic ai posted:

Interesting analysis. The relevant question then becomes, imo, is the game viable without that more casual user base?

By interesting do you mean "Literally didn't analyse a single thing and it's all opinion" based on the information given on a game that hasn't even got it's gameplay working yet, all the while ignoring things such as "player owned restaurants" and touting that the game won't have a casual playerbase AND in the same breath calling EVE a middleground game on that spectrum.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Can we just wait for the beta at least before typing up those type of posts. I'm not really on any side of the fence yet, the game is barely even a game yet, and right now it's literally just Steven speaking.

On another topic. So who bought their Snail mount. I didn't, just curious though.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Vincent Valentine posted:

There was absolutely nothing left to do, the house was done, and thus the game.

That's honestly the saddest story I've ever heard.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Sachant posted:

I can't be bothered to check if I've already said this yet but those mounts are just so unbelievably ugly and tacky looking. They don't look like a part of the world at all and just stick out from every backdrop or landscape I've seen them in so far. It looks like they took inspiration from my grandmother's parlor room with hideous multicolored glass "conversation pieces" where everything was covered in plastic and nobody was ever allowed inside.

I don't think the models are bad. Hell even some of the good animations are pretty good ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8M68S6DEfw ). I think it's just a combination of mismatched theme mostly (probably because the game's theme is "generic fantasy" and that basically covers everything and anything). Things look out of place because either we can't see where they're meant to exist or they're just literally not meant to exist in the universe. There are some animations that are just horrible / unfinished though, I do admit. (Like the Dragon in that 4k footage from last month)

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 6, 2020

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Sachant posted:

I'm just looking here at the last stream they did (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkwaYLOuw2s&t=4020s) and how unbelievably gaudy and tasteless some of them look. They look like happy meal toys. You're right about mismatched theme though. The entire game looks like they have four different art directors that have never even exchanged a word with one another.

I think it's mostly the flying mounts ruining it all. That's not to say that they couldn't totally clean up the netcode either. I'm watching the daystrider and bear videos and I think they're mostly fine. There's something so jank about the movement though, so much sliding and jitterness going on in this video. Also wish they'd just remove the collision detection- I think this has a lot to do with why they can't "fake" what other players are doing as much as we'd want. (In the sense that they have to be exactly where they are at all times)

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 7, 2020

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Sachant posted:

I'm still pretty skeeved about all of these "only 10 players in the game will have this!" features I keep learning about.

The player base genuinely believes that it isn't a gateway to more. They say it will just be 10-15 but there's no way that number hasn't doubled maybe by the 2 year point just through content additions or what have you.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Space Monster posted:

It's silly, but none of this crap is gamebreaking for me.

I'm on the no flying mount side. I'll copy a post from reddit:

WildlyNormal posted:

Here is a short list:

- it cuts down social interaction massively (willingly interaction)
- 3D Space of sky is way bigger than the 2D space of ground
- No need to travel together because of safety reasons
- it cuts down social interaction massively (forced interaction)
- carriage system would be obsolete as you could jsut fly 100 times and not loose anything
- without a proper air-fighting system there wont be ganks, even with a proper system the space is just far bigger
- no need to make a detour because of the landscape
- it reduces the world, through:
- reduced travel time (bee-lining)
- enables afk traveling (fly in one direction for a few hours and your crossing the whole map)
- hides the designed world which you dont see flying 1k meters up in the air
- it (often) contradicts the design / lore
- if everyone in a world could fly, the world should be different (city layout, city location, stables, etc.)
- it (often) breaks the game play apart
- Leveling, fighting, questing -> ground level
- Traveling -> flight

TLDR: It basically just makes the MMO feel less like an MMO for the sake of people being able to go into the sky. It's not really worth it. Basically if you're going to put flying mounts into your game they need to be in there from the get go and they need to have the entire game designed around it- Because like fundamentally we're all playing an MMO to at least have interactions with other players for the most part. It's no longer fun if those are few and far between.

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 8, 2020

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

a neurotic ai posted:

I agree that this used to be the case. The counterpoint is that both players and the context games are happening in make this type of design much less palatable.

1. Online communication was much less ubiquitous and games like WoW doubled as a sort of 3D chat room where you could hang out with friends. This is no longer the case.

2. Mechanics and systems that rely on having friends to accomplish things are great, and my best memories from gaming are in those contexts. But the double edged sword is that it empowers toxic community elements like gate keeping and elitism, made worse by the advent of streamers and min-maxing.

3. Nobody has the time. There’s a lot more competing for our attention these days, and social groups in particular require persistent maintenance. This is why solo progression is nice, because you don’t build obligations or commitments. Apart from a relatively small, and I’d wager fairly homogenous group of folks, most people just don’t have the time or inclination to dedicate towards living a sort of second life inside one particular video game.

AoC, as it stands, looks to cater towards that small minority, blocking off features that will take substantial amounts of development work behind a wall of elitism in order to preserve exclusivity and ‘community’ at the expense of inclusivity and diversity (of both people and play styles).

It's less palatable to you because you're a boomer with a full time job now. People had full time jobs in 2002 and they have them now. You aren't the audience anymore. Something new isn't bad because it doesn't cater to your needs, it's bad if it genuinely is bad design. And to answer your horrible awfully thought out points:

1. You're right. Discord exists now and guess what, now more than ever can poo poo like Dungeon Finder be thrown into the trash.
2. I genuinely want you to name a game that died because of it's toxic community. I can't think of a single one. Dota2? Thriving. CSGO? League of Legends? WoW Classic?. Who loving cares. Toxicity makes the narrative of EvE Online fun. I can't even imagine how boring that game would be if people weren't toxic in it.
3. You don't have the time because you're a boomer. Go play WoW. Stop posting here just because you're not interested in playing an MMO that doesn't hand you poo poo for free. It's fine to have different things you like, but you're literally making GBS threads on stuff that isn't even made for you.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Biowarfare posted:

As a non-WoW player that never played WoW at peak, and having freshly tried classic+retail, holy poo poo do I need dungeon finder. It's miserable when nobody is around at all for lower level content that everyone's beaten and spamming chat begging for a healer for your lovely cavern for hours and by the time you find a healer it's past the tank's bedtime and they leave. It isn't even a time thing, I spent 12 hours on classic in a day, it was just painfully awful to experience.

I don't want to get into a huge argument about WoW but WoW is an entirely different game, the game is almost designed around dungeon finder at this point. The reason it's so hard to find friends is because of poo poo like flying mounts, because there's nothing to do in the world (Just world quests every day), because questing (At least at the release of BFA) was over in 2-3 days, because everything is instanced or phased, because guilds are pointless now (outside of hardcore raiding), because all the content is so easy (elites removed from the world) because crafting is completely gutted and there's no need to trade with people anymore, etc, etc, etc. Is systemically ingrained in WoW's design and playerbase at this point. It doesn't actually need to be this way.

Should feel natural to find friends in an MMO, which is literally why people are so against flying mounts and all these systems. Its so forced and it's not a community anymore.

And I'm not really trying to poo poo on WoW, If that's what you want, if that's genuinely what you want, like literally no interaction with other players, you've got your small handful of friends that you play with then great, that's honestly fine. But why are you making GBS threads on this game that's trying to break away from the horrible design choices over the last 13ish years. You come here being like "WoW sucks and I want change, but this game is nothing like WoW what the gently caress" ?

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Aug 9, 2020

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
They seem weirdly proud about the combat design, but at the same time spout things like "we're still in alpha so this will all change". But I keep asking my self "will it though? because it doesn't look like you recognize what's wrong".

At a real base level, the netcoding looks off, the animations / slidey-ness of everything makes it look really weird. Furthermore, they've apparently got quests in the game but I'm yet to see anything that isn't just like: walk here and kill X or do Y- So I wonder what is actually going to keep people interested because it's unlikely they'll even do quests more fun than say WoW. In a vacuum everything looks alright so far, but everything together doesn't feel right. Like the overall aesthetic is off, as if it's just a mish-mash of designs that don't really feel like they exist in the same IP.

Them also touting this 250vs250 and saying that they've had it working and they're thinking about taking it higher is really concerning to me because I genuinely do not believe it in the slightest. I'm super worried this entire game is just going to end up doing weird loving phasing because 500 players all in the same spot casting spells we all know how that's going to go, they haven't just invented new tech that can magically handle it.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
https://ashesofcreation.com/r/1Z9GDANCVN6FZGTS

Here's my referral link. Maybe we can update the OP with a bunch of them or something. Do we need the code as well- 1Z9GDANCVN6FZGTS

edit* Thanks to the 9 people who have already used it! :doit: :doit:

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 12:53 on May 12, 2021

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Kickstarter MMOs are such a poo poo show. It's really just a race to get real funding, and then your development process actually starts because until then you're just cutting corners everywhere to try to get an investor client out there to show the game off enough. I mean they've hired like 70% of their developers in the last year or so. Can't expect much to have happened before that point.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Ort posted:

Looks like the lead game designer just left the company and project today, so that will probably throw some kinks into the works.

None of us have any real idea on the inner workings but this is 99.9% of the time a red flag, especially for a company that is(was?) growing so quickly.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Can LazyPeon play the genre that is designed to be played for a long time for more than a loving day? It's hard to take any of his videos seriously when he quits playing before the tutorial is even over because he's too stupid to upgrade his weapon or because he can't find anyone to play with because he's playing the wrong version of the game.

I know he means well but god drat he is the last person I'd want telling me if an MMO is good or not.

Shilling for referrals again. Thanks to all who have signed up already I appreciate it.

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Jun 1, 2021

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

ShowTime posted:

Yea, I didn't know that at the time. I was brand new to the thread.

Oh, I wasn't trying to trick anyone. If it's any consolation I rarely have the money to buy cosmetics anyhow so I'm down for some free in-game currency.

quote:

Would you call Final Fantasy XIV a 6 out of 10 game?

Obviously this is just my opinion and I'm not saying there's not fun to be had but I give pretty much all of these PvE themeparks a 0/10 for being an MMORPG because for the most part they're just not anymore. People have somehow forgotten that most good stories have antagonists and the same thing goes for MMORPGs and it's players. Without the tools to give players the ability to create their own social dynamic that directly bounces off the MMORPGs gameplay, it's just failing at what it should be doing. I think that's why people love WoW classic so much- It's a very good split down the middle of all it's gametypes- PvE themepark, world, social, and PvP.

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 2, 2021

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Ffycchi posted:

He actually looks rather interested in the ashes stuff.

I really don't blame him for not having his heart into he current mmo market, nor the mental health bits. but I do agree he needs to pick one.

I'm not really flaming him. I just wish he'd recognize that he's not having fun.
Can he not just get a posse of dudes to play MMO's with him like say Russian Badger does for FPS stuff? It just seems like he's so depressed. I think it's fine to primarily play Solo in an MMO but at least play alongside friends. Having people to talk to about a game provides so much motivation.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8HWa8KFcYU

Reddit AMA.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
Lead Environment Artist just left to go to Amazon Game Studios. Which now totals 2 Lead developers in 6~ months who have up and left.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Space Monster posted:

Alpha 1 for this indicates that they at least have a game loop, and recent videos showcasing the new hybrid combat system look promising. I don't really care about the owner's personal history or how they choose to make money as long as the game comes out with most of the features they've outlined. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Kickstarter MMORPGs might as well be a scam. The issue is that you can't Kickstarter for the amount you need to make the game (at least not in a reasonable situation)- So pretty much all development up until a certain threshold is just content that is built to gain more pledges / investors. They do this loop-de-loop several times over until you finally can develop the game "for real" and in an amount of time that would be considered reasonable (like for example from the start of the UE5 switch, 4 years from there- And that's assuming they hit the money on everything from this point on.)

All that said though I think that Ashes is looking good but I am skeptical like the rest of us that it's going to come out in any reasonable time frame. Good news is we don't need to put any skin in the game and can wait for people to say that A2/beta/Release is fun before even jumping in. Let the spergs waste all their money on cosmetics.

Speaking of which- if you are a sperg who likes to waste all your money on cosmetics, feel free to help me out by signing up using my referral link:

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc7HJknNqjQ

Caravan update. Looks okay, I guess. It's still missing a lot of polish but the foundational movement of the caravans and size / speed etc look decent enough. Development still going pretty slow though..

Referral link.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

Kaysette posted:

One year later, still looks… fine? Not clear if this game will actually ever release.

Everything they put out is seemingly okay in a vacuum, but as is almost the case with Intrepid, what they show is all they have and these other features are just falling by the wayside. Perpetually in a state of not truly finishing things, or committing. They fill their year up with these "showcases" and then time passes and you wonder how it's been 2 years since the Character creator update, and likely nobody has even worked on it since then or it's completely scrapped. I don't follow Star Citizen but I have to imagine it's similar in that game also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

xZAOx posted:

I can't wait until this game launches after 15 years of development then everyone is bored after 2 months because they've done all the content.

The MMO industry has gotta realize at some point that 7-10+ year dev cycles are stupid, and figure out some other way to handle things. Mainly fighting scope creep and figuring out the right amount of content for launch, with more frequent content updates thereafter.

Like, it's a hard challenge to solve, sure, but it's not impossible. A lot of these long delays seem to be from constant reiterating before anything is in the hands of players. Big design changes when stuff is already years in development. Also see: pantheon, lol.

I think the issue(s) is that you need a solid framework on your company, and have secured funding on your idea before you start (And lets be real, 100mil is probably the minimum these days). Crowdfunding is not the way and is basically a hail mary into it. Even this game which can afford to pay 150 staff at this point is struggling because the company is so new (And Intrepid was basically the most lucky you could ever be).

In the West you have all these startups with decent ideas, but they can't fund it, or their companies are so fresh they don't have correct pipelines in place to go at the correct speed, and in the East it's the opposite except all their mmo ideas are poo poo they lean into gacha/mtx/p2w. The only MMO for me that has a decent amount of public information and that isn't giving off red flags over and over again is Pax Dei (So far).

There's also a new wave of MMOs coming that were announced 2021-23 by all the refugees from these companies that somehow screwed the pooch.

https://www.dreamhaven.com/ - Morhaime and CO (Believe Moonshot is doing the MMO I could be wrong).
https://fantasticpixelcastle.com/ - Ghostcrawler and CO ( This one I have the least faith in, Ghostcrawler was never a pinnacle of MMO design but w/e)
https://playpaxdei.com/en-us - Ex CCP and CO (I think it's a lot of EX Max Payne devs also).
https://www.notorious.gg/ - Chris Kaleiki and CO

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Nov 3, 2023