Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008
Honestly surprised that this game is looking good. Remember when everyone that it was a scam to create a bad battle royale game? What ever happened with that anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Pryce posted:

The initial 'drama' was all rumors that he RAN an MLM, and that seems to have never gotten let go of. Here's his direct response he made about how it was just a job he signed up for when he was 18: https://www.reddit.com/r/AshesofCreation/comments/68tk1l/comment/dh1912j/

I think the 'bigger' concern about Steven has been that he's basically just 'some guy' who likes MMOs and now runs this massive company with nearly zero experience making video games. That's not to say it can't be done (and I'd argue new blood in the industry is certainly very valuable), it does make this one of the riskier investments and Kickstarters I've seen. I'll be first in line if this game launches, but until then, my wallet's staying shut.

Never give money early, but as long as they hire the right people and such they'll be fine, the OWNER doesn't need to be a tech genius. Nothing I've seen makes me think they're going route of the shadowbane/crowfall guys which had tons of ideas but you could tell the technical backend and design was just god awful and doomed the more you got to see.

Realistically this game will only do so/so even if it is done well due to the nature of seemingly be a PVP driven mmo. Personally I like them when they are designed around it but still a niche within a niche.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

truther posted:

I don't even see the issue? I've been casually following development and progress has always seemed fine to me.

Like, the caravan update isn't the only thing they've added. And they consistently release update videos where they talk about aspects of the game for hours. I've never once come away from that having the impression that this is all a scam, that processes are falling by the wayside, that development is failing, that things are going slow.

Progress, to me, seems far more stable and consistent than tons of other games, MMOs even. I have NFI what's going on with Wayfinder, especially concerning DE's news, whereas Intrepid talk about all manner of things and give tangible updates to them as well. Not a fan boy having a wee cry seeing negative posts, but genuinely surprised at the contrast in perspective. I can absolutely see a good release in 2-3 years at this rate.

It looks like legit game to me. Now fact it seems to be very pvp focused for content means it will be much smaller then people hope as well. Combat also looks really dull.