Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

D-Pad posted:

Yeah, it's a "potion" launcher. I played one round. BR doesn't interest me, but if the full game combat is the same it will be fun.

I watched some youtube videos of the BR combat....it looks very good for MMO combat. Not quite black desert, but better than the average run for sure. My only source for info up to this point has been this thread which has been pretty universally negative about the game's chances of success, though? Is combat the only thing they have going for them thus far? Is their key focus (the world that changes based on player actions) impossible or something?

Space Monster fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jan 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Sounds pretty dope. I'm ready to slavishly defend this to the death, and will, after the inevitable disappointment, pretend that I was never invested at all.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

SweetBro posted:

Ya'll literally giving your money to a guy who worked in a MLM (XanGo), made his money in real-estate, and has absolutely no prior game-dev experience. It would be one thing if he simply funded the project, but since he's admitted that all the design decisions are made by him, I'm very skeptical if this will actually play anywhere near as good as people are making it sound. Since he basically picked up the scraps from EQ Next who didn't take a well-paying job and his budgeting does seem somewhat reasonable, I'm confident that they will finish something that technically works as an MMO. I just doubt it will be a good one.

To clarify, I'm not saying that it's a scam because he was involved in a MLM at some point when he was younger. We all make bad life decisions in our youth. I'm pointing out that the guy calling the shots has no qualifications to call the shots short of "I played MMOs for a while" and by that logic your manchild of an uncle should be qualified to coach his favorite sportsball team because he watched all their games.

I said slavishly defend, not fund (don't back kickstarter games). And how dare you. This game will be so well received that eventually our entire society will be structured around it, like that game from that Iain Banks book.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

cmdrk posted:

the lazy peon video sounds cool but it also sounds Star Citizen levels of ambitious to me. i find it hard to believe they'd develop all of these interacting systems and content that may potentially never get seen for years, because a node may get locked out forever. unless all of the quests are procedurally generated bear-rear end-gathering quests and theres no real consequence for unlocking this node vs that node etc. it's just not a reasonable way to spend developer time unless the content is incredibly shallow.

From what I've heard, a lot of these mechanics were present in either Archage or Lineage 2, and the major differences are A) the node system (which they seem to already have working somewhat) and B) the sheer number of these mechanics. When listening to the longer interview it seemed to me like they could afford to cut out some content, at least for release. I don't think we need ships and naval stuff right off the bat.

quote:

It really does sound like a game with cool concepts that they've successfully tested internally with their small alpha base. What developers don't seem to understand is that no one cares about their "vision". Once you have thousands of players playing this game at the same time, the holes will be found and the meta will be revealed. It will then be up to the developers to either compromise the vision by trimming down systems to their base simplistic forms, or to accept that they will have a small niche group of players the game will cater to. Judging by the marketing campaign, I think they will be trying to maximize sub count above all else.

In one of the videos, they mentioned a city can be constructed and also demolished? There were caravans that can be used to transfer your goods from node to node. What kind of goods were they talking about? My traditional understanding of a game like this would be if a player has just farmed up a bunch of silver ore and can't store it all in their inventory, they could place it in a bank. This bank would be usable at an already established node. However, this node can be destroyed by other players. Does that mean my silver ore is gone forever?

Among other things, it will be used to transport 'certificates' I.E. some proof that you've killed a particular type of mob. Regular mobs won't drop gold in AoC, they drop these certificates. You can take the certificates back to the nearby node to turn into a hunter NPC for gold or you can transport the certificates (probably not just yours, maybe your whole guild builds up for a few days and then does this) to a far away node and get up to 5x the value of the certificates there. The caravans generate a PvP bubble around them that flags everyone who enters. When destroyed, ~1/3rd of the certificates are destroyed and >1/3rd of them are dropped to be picked up by whoever destroyed the caravan.

I'd highly recommend watching the interview with that WoW streamer from the previous page, most of this is addressed plus a lot more really interesting stuff.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

LuckyCat posted:

There’s no way it’s going to be completely unique content for each node. To some degree it will have to be procedural based on some database or table. Like maybe they are creating dungeons, bosses, etc with parts 1-15 so a dungeon in a forest node might be programmed to have Forest theme, layout 7, boss mechanics 3, loot table 4 but there’s no way they are designing unique content for each node. How many nodes are there?

103 is the number I hear the most. And yeah, this is pretty clearly how they're going to do quests and dungeons. Raids might get a more personal touch, but they'd be nuts to attempt to make thousands of unique quests and ~100 dungeons while also trying to implement the bazillion promised features.

Honestly, I don't mind procedurally generated PvE content in a game that's more about PvP and crafting. SWG had garbage PvE content. That wasn't the draw. And even procedurally generated PvE content will be loads better than what SWG had. It doesn't even make much sense for the open world stuff to be that difficult or complicated, because if it is nobody will ever be able to complete an encounter. They'll get PK'd halfway through and wipe.

(Dungeons and raids won't be tied to specific nodes though. They'll be points of interest scattered around the map that get 'activated' when a nearby node grows and extends it's zone of influence to where that dungeon is. So they may not need anything like one dungeon-per-node.)

Space Monster fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 27, 2020

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Stormgale posted:

Also I believe each node has a zone which may overlap?

so say 4 nodes all surround amountain, each of them might unlock the same dungeon in that mountain?

The one thing I thought was neat from all I heard was how raid bosses rarely drop completed items, instead more often dropping crafting components so crafters can make those items. The rest of the game might be trash but that idea of bringing crafters into endgame raiding loot was neat.

I'm just looking forward to an SWG style crafting system (with many potential outcomes to one recipe) with stalls/stores rather than everything being sold on one central auction house.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Stormgale posted:

This game will probably be bad but the whole goods moving between towns does seem really fun from a crafting perspective, figuring out local markets

Space Monster posted:

Sounds pretty dope. I'm ready to slavishly defend this to the death, and will, after the inevitable disappointment, pretend that I was never invested at all.

This is my position and I'm sticking to it until it goes belly up from horrible mismanagement and execution.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

This exact thing is the reason why blizzard had to redo the old world for cataclysm. You can’t hand wave it away as “lol no clip” because that’s objectively not what it is. If everyone is stuck on the ground you get to cut some corners and make certain things not actually solid, since players can’t reach them, but now suddenly you have to do all that work because you want a couple of guys to feel special?

This has been my thought as well. I don't mind them having this idea and wanting to implement it, but it seems like this is a feature that could at least wait until the first expansion. They seem to have this desire to implement a bazillion ideas at launch when a lot of those ideas are pretty ancillary while also requiring a lot of work.

I mean, do we really need ships and naval combat right at the start too? I get that the map is divided into two islands, but was that a really necessary design decision right off the bat?

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

doomisland posted:

If a node is reset arent all the freelands and houses lost?

The houses are. The freeholds might be. If another nearby node's zone of influence expands (due to the destruction of the freehold's original node) far enough to cover the area where that freehold is, it stays. If not, it goes.

Space Monster fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 6, 2020

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Vincent Valentine posted:

I built great bases in fallout 76 and stopped playing for similar reasons to EQ2. An infinitely sadder story, for your collection.

You ever take any screenshots of your house in EQ2?

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

hobocrunch posted:

The player base genuinely believes that it isn't a gateway to more. They say it will just be 10-15 but there's no way that number hasn't doubled maybe by the 2 year point just through content additions or what have you.

It's silly, but none of this crap is gamebreaking for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

jestest posted:

I got excited for this watching the recent videos. Thanks to all good goon historians for the reminder that this cosmetic hype train has been on rails since 2017.

See you at launch.

Alpha 1 for this indicates that they at least have a game loop, and recent videos showcasing the new hybrid combat system look promising. I don't really care about the owner's personal history or how they choose to make money as long as the game comes out with most of the features they've outlined. I'm cautiously optimistic.