Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

CoffeeBooze posted:

Finally, proof that this terrible genre really is dead.

MMOs can't die as long as we still have Wild West Online, from the makers of WarZ aka Infestation aka "One step shadier than actually buying games from a Russian man in an alley".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

CoffeeBooze posted:

Wasnt WarZ basically funded and published by a shady Russian man who probably spent a lot of time in dark alleys?

Yes. Who tried to use weasel words in the Steam description, but didn't know English well enough so he ended up just blatantly lying. Like saying the game supported "up to" 64 players per map. When they pointed out it only supported like 38, he said "well 38 is less than 64, so technically it's UP TO 64." Which isn't how that works, but you can kind of see the angle he was trying to pull?

But if you were actually buying games from a Russian man in an alley, there's a chance you get a copy of a good game, and possibly even a legitimate (for Russia) copy of a good game. If you're buying from the guys who made WarZ, you're basically handing your money over to a money laundering front for the Russian mob and getting nothing but a dick punch in return.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

50 pounds of bread posted:

So as skeptical as I am of this game existing. I seriously would love a game where a genocidal group of nature cultist wood elves can take over the forest and just murderkill everyone that ever tries to do anything anywhere near them.

Turn an entire region of a server into a massive zone of terror for anyone that isn't a wood elf.

Oh god, I hope this game is a thing.

That's basically how Wood Elves work in the old Warhaammer Fantasy universe, so at least you'd have precedent. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Even at a glance, "The Repopulation" is on there twice.:thunk:

Also that one near the top that promises "aging and death" in an MMO is an interesting concept. Doesn't sound like a FUN concept, but I certainly can't think of another MMO that advertised the ability to watch your character get old and die. Having read into it a bit, the system is actually even more retarded than that. Your character will get old and suffer permadeath over 10-14 real months. Each regular-MMO style death you suffer before that shortens your lifespan, with how much it shortens it being determined by how important your character is. So if you're a random peasant, you lose 2 days. If you're "the King" you might lose a quarter of your lifespan. But wait, there's more! Your characters will NEVER be out of the world. So you logged off? Well your character exists there until you come back, but you can set AI routines for your character to do stuff while you're gone. Including apparently defend yourself, because surely your crude defense script will keep people from just murdering everyone who is AFK. I'm sure having literally every character ever created online on your server at the same time and also half of them running server-side AI routines while they're offline won't at all bog down the server.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Fried Sushi posted:

I'm sure the server can handle the dozen of players that will be playing it.

Assuming it makes it far enough to be playable (which it probably wont), it's probably more likely that the offline scripts will end up not actually doing anything, which is also good for keeping that server overhead low. It makes me wonder if they even had any programmers on their team at the time of throwing up the Kickstarter, as a lot of these seem to be made by artists who think they have a great idea for a world and then absolutely no understanding of how any of the features they suggest would actually be implemented.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

ChickenWing posted:

Didn't BDO also have your character able to afk farm or whatever when you were offline?

Sort of. Your client had to be open and logged in and you could specifically set it up to do a specific gathering type task while you were away. So you don't need to be at your PC, but it's not while you're actually "offline" in the same way that game was saying.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Presumably it'll do something like Dungeon Fighter. In DFO, you can do your moves either by entering fighting game inputs, or having the skill on your hotbar and hitting the key related to it. Abilities have shorter cooldowns if you use the fighting game inputs.

Still, given all the dive rolling bullshit (and the lag that would exist if it weren't 6 people on a LAN in an office playing), tab targeting would still be the way to go by far if it meant you couldn't miss.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

That's ultimately the stumbling block for all these pie in the sky MMOs that promise huge battles and player driven worlds and all that crap. Sure, you can probably code the engine to take it and to render all the stuff you need if it were a single player game or everybody were always on a LAN or something. But the netcode challenges and especially the infrastructure challenges of getting everything to not just chug and die under the load make it impractical for an MMO.

There's a reason that when huge battles happen in EVE they have to resort to time dilation which is just standardized lag.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think some of it is that a difference in expectations as well as sophistication allowed them to design around some of the issues. It's the same reason some of the Ultima games could get away with running at a single digit framerate when they first came out. They built the game somewhat to take it into account, and the expectations of the average user is that something like that should have been nearly impossible anyway so they didn't see that as an issue.

Now that most people have low latency broadband connections and want their framerates to be smooth at over 100 FPS and expect buttery goodness at all times, it's harder to design slowness into the system to hide when back end is trying to catch up to the load.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Space Bat posted:

ya'll ready to play the ashes of creation BATTLE ROYALE?!?!?!?!??!?!?

Despite seeing the name it didn't occur to me it was related. I watched about 10 minutes of gameplay when one of the streamers I follow was playing it last night. It looked absolutely horrible in every way. Especially the combat. Jesus Christ did it look awful.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Space Bat posted:

Judging from the videos of gameplay they put out, their lovely, lifeless "Darkfall but somehow worse" combat engine would be easy to make into a BR which like soy said was the dragon many devs have chased. kind of funny that they missed that boat by like a year lol

Even if they hadn't missed the bubble, the bit of it I saw looked absolutely horrid. I've played all manner of terrible games in my day, including many terrible BR games and this one looked unplayable even by comparison to those shitheaps.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Well, if nothing else their current strategy of having long chats with popular streamers has brought a bunch of people onto their hype train. A number of non-goon discords I'm in are absolutely in full hype mode for this based off those streams, to the point they're now defending the "vision" quite loudly.

So they got themselves a fresh injection of sucker money at least.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Raioner posted:

I feel like I remember them saying DURING the BR phase that it was for testing reasons. Even if it wasn't that's still probably a really good way to test a bunch of systems in a more controlled environment.

I remember them claiming that too. Mostly what I remember from the BR phase though was that the combat looked like the worst combat I had ever seen, like unsalvagably god awful even by free to play standards.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Vanguard Warden posted:

I'm always surprised when MMOs don't do pet classes, from a development standpoint it's such a great way to get more use out of existing assets. You've always got a catalog of modeled, animated, and balance-tweaked enemies in your game for players to fight. A little bit of minion AI and scripting turns all of that into a robust class resource to play Pokemon with.

The problem is usually balance and load related, because while you can control how much a player has to fight in a dungeon or in the world, you can't control what happens when 20 summoners show up to swarm something with 10 pets a piece.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Stormgale posted:

Also on the balance side, you have a tough time making the AI controlled pet's solid vs a regular player. If they are hyper efficient AI kill machines with also benefit from being in essence server hosted (like in old wow how mobs could hit you while you ran away due to latency) they can be far stronger. Or their AI/pathing can cause them to be far less powerful than a player using "Regular" abilities

Well, and flat out you have to consider how to even fight them. Do you just give every class things that can effectively cleave large amounts of mobs to deal with Summoners? Then you have to retweak your entire PvE setup.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

For all that I appear to be making GBS threads on Summoners in MMOs, they were immediately what stood out to me when I saw the class type list. I like playing pet classes (and damage over time classes, the other impossible to balance class!), so it will be interesting to see what their plan is. I just expect that if Summoners get implemented, they're going to be either super good, super bad, or see-saw between the two on any given patch. They are exceedingly hard to balance is all I'm saying.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Space Monster posted:

This has been my thought as well. I don't mind them having this idea and wanting to implement it, but it seems like this is a feature that could at least wait until the first expansion. They seem to have this desire to implement a bazillion ideas at launch when a lot of those ideas are pretty ancillary while also requiring a lot of work.

I mean, do we really need ships and naval combat right at the start too? I get that the map is divided into two islands, but was that a really necessary design decision right off the bat?

Well I'm sure not going to rely on zepplins for intercontinental travel. That's a good way to end up randomly teleported to the Stonetalon Mountains.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Hy_C posted:

In Shadowlands the complaint from hardcore raiding is that you’re forced to pick one covenant which provides strong spells and bonuses and if you switch or want to go back you’re going to get boned by a large grind.

Even those complaints are more from the Mythic+ community (of which there is obviously some overlap). Covenants are never going to work the way they want them, because they want them to be a flavorful player choice you pick because you like their setup... that then adds powerful combat and utility buttons based on your class and specialization, that like everything else will be randomly buffed and nerfed. Their solution for people bitching about having to constantly swap covenants and re-grind to be optimal is to make the penalties more and more punishing, as if that somehow solves the problem.

Ion Hazzikostas is not good at his job.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

LuckyCat posted:

I hate Gear Score. It used to be that your reputation followed you around. Oh hey, invite Soandso, they can tank like a beast. I remember fondly from EQ not inviting certain people in my level range to group because they sucked, and others because they were good and chill, but we had no gear score or DPS charts.

It has since been replaced by IO score, based on an aggregation site that judges your performance per dungeon and aggregates your best. So if you're just getting rolling it doesn't matter how good your gear is (which probably won't be great to start with), you're not getting into any groups anyway because everybody wants SUPER ELITE SCORES ONLY, even for poo poo you could do blindfolded. :v:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

WoW also put the guide in game. You can bring up the dungeon journal and it'll give you a helpful little blurb based on your role as to what you need to watch out for on the boss. Oh, you've never tanked this boss before? Kite the guy through fire and then under the hammers to break his armor. DPS? Be sure that you all group up for his big slam attack because it divides the damage by the number of players it hits so your tank doesn't get one shot.

It lets them put fights that aren't completely braindead tank and spank fights into non-raid encounters without expecting you to go watch a youtube walkthrough.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Tempora Mutantur posted:

how'd their battle royale combat netcode testing actually go, didn't they run that for like 3 months

Unbelievably terrible, from my recollection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

hobocrunch posted:

Lead Environment Artist just left to go to Amazon Game Studios. Which now totals 2 Lead developers in 6~ months who have up and left.

Man, think of how lovely your MMO studio must be when Amazon Game Studios is a step UP.