Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

DancingShade posted:

Never forget :australia:

The best part about that was I'd already bailed on the main goon guilds in Archeage after being in alpha wave 1 because I saw all that poo poo coming a mile away. Turbospergs who hate each other in the same guild forming their own cliques? Yes I'm sure that will end well.

You are the smartest goon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Also I believe each node has a zone which may overlap?

so say 4 nodes all surround amountain, each of them might unlock the same dungeon in that mountain?

The one thing I thought was neat from all I heard was how raid bosses rarely drop completed items, instead more often dropping crafting components so crafters can make those items. The rest of the game might be trash but that idea of bringing crafters into endgame raiding loot was neat.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Space Monster posted:

I'm just looking forward to an SWG style crafting system (with many potential outcomes to one recipe) with stalls/stores rather than everything being sold on one central auction house.

This game will probably be bad but the whole goods moving between towns does seem really fun from a crafting perspective, figuring out local markets

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I can be excited for bad things, like when I make another post.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Zaodai posted:

The problem is usually balance and load related, because while you can control how much a player has to fight in a dungeon or in the world, you can't control what happens when 20 summoners show up to swarm something with 10 pets a piece.

Also on the balance side, you have a tough time making the AI controlled pet's solid vs a regular player. If they are hyper efficient AI kill machines with also benefit from being in essence server hosted (like in old wow how mobs could hit you while you ran away due to latency) they can be far stronger. Or their AI/pathing can cause them to be far less powerful than a player using "Regular" abilities

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Zaodai posted:

Well, and flat out you have to consider how to even fight them. Do you just give every class things that can effectively cleave large amounts of mobs to deal with Summoners? Then you have to retweak your entire PvE setup.

Or how it might be easier to just kill the summoner.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Killstick posted:

From what i've seen so far the designers seem to have a very clear idea of what they want to do so i think the risk of that is very low.

For better or for worse this game has a very strong specific vision for what it wants to be.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

SweetBro posted:

Ya'll overthinking this whole "shifting world" poo poo. In practice there now a few decaying progress meters that fill up when players grind poo poo, and a bunch of enemy spawns, quests, static visuals, and build plots that are disabled until said progress meters are filled up. They're just building a full MMO as usual and then just adding a bunch of grindy gamefied mutually exclusive content-gates.

I think it's going to be even worse than that.

One of two things will happen over tiime IMO:

A) there is a static "Optimal" node pattern for maximum world bosses, loot, dungeons, the worlds all shift towards that.

B) If there's no one true static option, the worlds will eventually shift into cycling the best patterns (say you keep swapping between 2 nodes capped to summon 2 different bosses)

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

hobocrunch posted:

You are only coming from the point of view of a PvE player. Traders that don't care about PvE and will care about the nodes utilities, and PvP players will care about destroying your castle and getting your loot. Yes, there will be "cycles" but ideally these cycles are contradicted by each play style and people form different groups based on their needs.

I'm assuming the PVP players want to fight the bosses for loot, so sure they might fire over things but as we've seen in wow classic with the scarab lord, people will easily put PVP to the side for prestiege, also win trading. I think there are going to be more players who want access to better loot (including pvpers) who will fight the "burn em all down" types

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Also I really think "Nodes are going to be refreshed by players fighting" really overstates how much players really do like to get their stuff. See fishing pacts in Archeage, or what I understand is a general tendency for eve power blocs to stagnate (I am happy to be told i'm wrong, I only read outside stuff on eve). People will fight if there is a benefit to them, and i'm not sure looting coffers is always going to be that, when it might be more beneficial to just get stuff, or hit caravans.

I think stuff like the rare mounts is dumb but fine, they can be big powerplays that high guilds can dick over. the big thing is makign sure all the people like me, who love doing random crafting stuff and filling the economy so people good at the game can murder me, feel like they can get something to.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

why would anyone play this laggy janky rear end game that will run like absolute poo poo when they could just hop on warzone, CS Go, fortnite or league and get a much better competitive experience? this game looks like some sperg's game design document from the 2000s.

This game is likely to be bad but I feel the market for "Social space fantasy MMO" is not the sort of people who want to sweat in a warzone match. Like Fortnite honestly might be the closest competitor for the whole "Want to PVP but also gently caress about"

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Honestly the biggest thing to social interaction with strangers for me is frictionless meetups with some downtime. Public events in most games or fates are where I'll see a player, maybe chat cause it's not super high impact, and remember them if we meet again. I remember in GW2 or FFXIV noting players when we did multiple fates/public events together

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

I think group finder is very good in the games it's currently in, there's no real way to naturally get a group smoothly for weeklies or dailies without spamming a channel.

I do think there is a game design where dungeon groups could form more naturally. Imagine one where you unlocked the dungeon doing some public event or whatever, so naturally people would group there (lik the defians messenger example above) and then group together to go in. That's... a lot of design work ensuring players are encouraged to come do the thing though. You would need to constantly push players out to do things to meet people, which I think is an interesting design but it's a hard one, and one that is likely to be circumvented if possible (for efficiency)

Stormgale fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Aug 10, 2020

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WQ_BBwK5LA&t=1760s These mounts look cute

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Orv posted:

People are allowed to spend their money however they want, I've always been tired to loving death of the years people spent posting "Don't preorder" and poo poo like that. I'm saying for me, and for a lot of other people, it looks, looks mind you, like a lovely scam to price alpha access at that level.

I'd be thrilled if it turned out not to be cause what they have working now looks like it could turn out pretty good. I don't and won't trust that it will until it has.

Orv with the cool and good take as usual.

Honestly I hope this game does do well, it's trying to do something interesting with the whole player focused gameplay that brings me back to the days of MUD's and poo poo.

It will probably suck (Almost everything they are hinging on will be spreadsheeted to death by nerds looking for optimal) but, I really do hope it's good. While I love FFXIV seeing games try new things is cool.

Still could be a scam tho too.