Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Byolante posted:

Thread was posted by ADL, probably isn't needed in that sentence

nah man this one time there was a piece of corn in the poo poo, there's a chance this pile could be good

just give it a chance

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Gotta put your money where your mouth is sometimes :^)

...you don't though, that's why this is a kickstarter. you can literally wait for it to get funded and play for free instead of dropping $400 on Hellgate London 4.

why did you do this, spending Star Citizen-style doesn't do anything in games that exist never mind crowdfunded ones

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

TheAgent posted:

how is anyone dumb enough to back this

just how

apparently our brains stall the gently caress out when it looks like there's nothing else on the horizon, and then we get hyper-attached to whatever is there no matter how dogshit it is

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

If you got the $400 pledge with the lifetime subscription you wouldn't have to worry about that.

when has any MMO had a lifetime subscription and lasted longer than the subscription was worth though? never mind the near certainty it'll go F2P

you're better than lethality, don't stoop to his level of spending big people money on dead-before-arrival games

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Does Star Trek Online count?

does it still do subscription only or is there some kind of plex/F2P system? I don't recall it being pure subscription

like for this $400 cash fire to be worth it the game would have to be subscription-only for 2.5 years, no plex and no free mode. and assuming you would've subscribed that whole time, since some goons just sub/unsub when they want to take a break from a game

Mr. Pickles posted:

holy motherfuckin poo poo, is that a thing? imagine the horror and turmoil once this becomes FTP in like 3 months after they officially release it

off topic: theres this thing called revelation online with flying anime toons. installing atm

it's been a thing for the past 10 years or so yeah, most games expecting to fold/go free in like a year do lifetime subscriptions. also :h5:, RO is p. cool outside of the horrifying endgame grind

Good Dumplings fucked around with this message at 11:20 on May 3, 2017

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Well I did the math really quick, STO was released in February 2010. If you ordered the lifetime sub when it was discounted at $249.99 you had 17 months to enjoy the full length of the costs of regular sub of $14.95 a month. July 2011 is the point the lifetime sub paid for itself. It didn't hit F2P until January 2012.

those are really bad odds but they're nonzero, so I'll take it

Alex please tell me there's no larger tiers. failing that please tell me you're not going to spend more than $400 on a MMO kickstarter by a known pyramid schemer

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

we have two whole programmers for a genre that often demands dozens/hundreds

also isn't "list all the projects our staff left/were fired from" what Wildstar did all the time

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

SweetBro posted:

Cause people were bringing up WoW's original game budget and I was pointing out that the number was largely irrelevant because although WoW was great for it's time, it's release version is trash by today's standards.

...why were they bringing up the budget in the first place, it looks like you didn't keep addressing that so people concluded that "guy thinks good game is bad" instead

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

How'd you know? Not even joking.

I wasn't kidding when I said you have an instinctive preference for games that don't sell, it's a research topic that got some attention a few years back. It doesn't mean you're a bad person, the things you like in a product just tend to be things that ensure they'll never turn a good profit.

Lethality is another example except he actually is a huge rear end in a top hat to people that don't agree with him: if he likes a game that's basically the kiss of death even if it makes it to release.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Comrayn posted:

Imagine going to bat for a video game youtuber yeesh

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

it's about MMO harm reduction