Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I see three problems:

1) There isn't really anything new or novel this game is doing to make it stand point from a number of poop tier MMO startups. The classes are generic, the ideas are pretty generic, I don't really see a "hook"

2) "Flagging" PVP is just PVE. The incentives to PVP have to be absolutely overwhelming or 99% of players will avoid it. You have to force people into conflict against their will, al-la ArcheAge oceans by really using a carrot on the stick. Otherwise people will just choose safety. This is a prime reason why PVP in Black Desert fails.

3) UE4, as FireWhizzle has already pointed out, is really really good for making games pretty, but really bad for supporting large numbers of players in the same area. The alternative is heavy instancing, which makes MMOs intrinsically flawed and bad, or switching to a different engine. Gutting the netcode with such a small team and small budget is unlikely.

Having said that, it's a serious MMO famine atm so I will follow it anyway :wooper:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Zaodai posted:

I agree whole-heartedly with this, and I believe this is one of the things that actually has kept World of Warcraft popular for so long. Its netcode is pretty good in just about any environment. Playing on low ping? High ping? loving dial up? You're mostly fine (except for capital cities on dial up, I guess). They even have movement partially clientside somehow without speed hacks being an issue, so you don't get jittery lag-step animations like most MMOs, everything stays fluid on your screen so you don't really notice it unless you have like a full second of lag.

It makes it just "feel" better than most MMOs, even though it is old as poo poo at this point.

This also translates into PVE and PVP as well: I stand by the opinion that after being out for 14 years, WoW still has some of the most fluid combat animations I've ever seen in an MMO. It makes it a joy to play, visually.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Mr. Pickles posted:

in the mmo genre is seems there were ever only2 options to choose from: wow themepark or eve sandbox

excluding everyones nostalgia weakspot of course, be it UO, MUDs or whatever

No.

Pre-CU SWG was a diamond in the rough, and there was nothing like it out there. And there hasn't been since.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
My entire experience with The Matrix Online was travelling on the subway in game with my then college roommate, trying to find the best combination of sunglasses versus leather trenchcoat.

I'm not sure if there was an actual game beyond that.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I for one cannot wait to play a generic tank or generic plate dps in this game that doesn't exist :toot:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Planetside 2 has amazing netcode. It's literally a diamond nestled in poo poo. :iiapa:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Translation:

My dad would only front half the bill? :iiam:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

SweetBro posted:

Vanilla WoW was also complete poo poo compared to most MMOs today and simply had the advantage of being one of the first to market.

Well yes, and yes.

But in 2003 it was god tier and obliterated everything else out there, and all these years later still has a population equal to the rest of the market share and then some.

FireWhizzle already touched on a big reason: They built it on an engine made of MMO gold, it was tough, flexible, and very responsive.

Using the wrong engine (lol star citizen) is setting yourself up from failure from the getgo.

It's always the edgelord thing to poo poo on WoW, but you're quantifiably an idiot if you don't think it was a good game.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 6, 2017

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
but guys

what if this game is different

what if this game is good

what if

:iiam:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
the year of our lord 2017

female characters are a "stretch goal" in video game development

TFW you have to pay the developer more money to include 50% of the human race

:frogon:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
so how long until people start being goonie about who is running the guild for this game that doesn't exist

if you need me, I'll be on my discord ( https://discord.gg/bp6dg7w )

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

DancingShade posted:

Anyone who played Archeage and isn't a moron will be running a country mile from any large scale goon guilds in future.

This is the smart and wise thing to do.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
It's also way a lot of AA survivors formed into BMW as well. We like to play seriously and have fun, but don't like all the drama.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

SweetBro posted:

Fishing.

Pact.

*que laughter*

I'll never quite forget the white-noise rage on mumble as our galleons drove into the fishing spot for the first time. :wooper:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Asses of Creation

it is known

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
But guys what if this time things are different!