Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Byolante posted:

What VC would fund a pvp sandbox mmo when every piece of evidence points to the moment you didn't have to play a pvp mmo everyone stopped playing pvp mmos.

I'd play a version of eve online that wasn't poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Minecraft is very good, but it's not mmo at all.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kimsemus posted:

but guys

what if this game is different

what if this game is good

I'll buy it on the steam sale for 90 off

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol that double tap skill for bonus combat looks so poo poo when the time to double tap is randomized.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If you have too much time on your hands, eve online is still the best mmo tbh. As much as I like ff14 and gw2 for letting me play in 15 minute increments, the high points of eve were the best time I've ever had online. It's just the 3-5 hours of preparation that take you to get to those points that I don't have time for anymore.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
They were made by at least half-competent people.

Also, those games appeared when 56k was still an appreciable part of the market, they had to *work* on that. Not well, but well enough. Also, toasters back then were much shittier compared to now when a 10 year old pc is probably a dual or even quad core amd64 of some kind in the 3-4ghz range. Thus, they worked great on bredband and a half-decent pc.

I remember running lineage 2 on a shitshow of a pc back then and it ran at a low fps, but it was playable.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
we ran out of budget for the sand, have a ballpit instead

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Freakazoid_ posted:

Necromancers and other multi-minion types suck in MMOs because the number of minions you get will never make up for the golden rule that you can't kill more than two or three mobs at a time. It's even worse in pvp because nobody would tackle the AI problem of keeping your pets out of area effect damage, and only in the past few years have developers given in to just making pets have a passive damage resistance to all AE damage.

necros in gw1 were very powerful, just because you could raise like 16 things at a time or somesuch.

and the drawbacks were specifically "all the minions bunch up on your target, so an elementalist can blow them all up with 2-3 spells" and "if the necro dies, your entire team is going to get murdered instantly because skeletons are now hostile to everything"

i thought that was a good implementation of it. yeah the skeletons are very powerful, but they're also dumb & dangerous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
lol