Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.
I bought one of the larger packages on kickstarter just to sell it and make a profit later. Hopefully the game turns out to be good, however the founder of the company made all of his money on MLM schemes so I have a lot of doubt about that happening(I knew the guy on archeage.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

probably. less feature creep.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Ehud posted:

Looks good and fun.

It's going to be wild if the MMO made by the pyramid scheme guy ends up being successful.

I used to camp steven in archeage. Hes a horrid gamer.

That being said it looks more likely to be more of an actually good game that any other upcoming mmo, not even to mention the fact that its a kickstarter MMO.

Truly surprising given the source.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Erev posted:

I'm skeptical, but that's pretty much my feeling towards any MMO these days. If this one turns out to be actually good I'll be thrilled but I'm keeping my expectations close to non-existent. I'll give them this though - their preorder packs look to be beta access, sub time, cosmetics, and cosmetic store cash which isn't the worst I've seen. At least they aren't selling day one castles and land plots.

I'm in the NDA pre-alpha....it's....k...... It needs a lot of work. A few more years at an absolute minimum....still closer to being done than star citizen. So it has that going for it.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

warcrimes posted:

Which is good as it was a test bed for this game. They spotted some fundamental issues and have supposedly fixed them. We're not far from non-NDA content, so tracking this game's development will be in real time.

Pretty much this.

I can't say a lot.

But I have a lot to say when I can.

I can just say "it's looking better than star citizen"

Not that that's saying a lot.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Before anyone says anything about the alpha delay I will with 100% certainty say it was needed. For various reasons I can't go into yet.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Comrayn posted:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say it's because the game was bad

Na. There's a mix of TBC being released at the same time as well as the fact that, to be honest, it's simply not loving ready.

Reviewers will get their hands on it and instantaneously destroy it. It's STRAIGHT alpha. like 90% of poo poo doesn't work or isn't implemented.

Steven has said he wants to actually implement the upcoming combat changes before it leaves NDA.

The fact is they aren't ready.

I SEE the potential in the game.

I see the constant work that is getting put into it every time i test it (unlike star shitizen where nothing happens for years because of magical unicorn engineering dust that crobear cant seem to find in his mansion and yacht)

The bad press that would inevitably come with it being as unfinished as it is is just an absolute nope in any business sense to release to people who don't get that yet. Which is almost everyone.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm going to ask two things:

#1 Is the quality of it point to the direction that it can be a true "big 5 competitor"?

#2 Is it achieving its "sandbox" MMO promise?

....Maybe.

if they really don't push development for the sake of "not being star citizen" and do stupid things...yes.

The ideas behind the game are solid. The mechanics...they have some pretty solid people there.

It really comes down to time.

The Devs have shown willingness to change their ideas based on community feedback.

The actual bugtesting going on is actually pretty big. We found a LOT.

almost everything in the game is placeholder. This is a true alpha, not some crap cash grab alpha. People shouldn't have their hands on it yet. It's buggy. Most of the game isn't implemented...it probably needs 3-4 years more worth of work to be even considered for a release.

Honestly people were making jokes about how they would donate for delays instead of cosmetics. People in the community really don't want this to fail. Everyone in the NDA pretty much agrees it's not in any way ready for content creators to start giving opinions on.

I guess the most I can say is its less buggy and more to do than star citizen.

Will it be AAA competitive....maybe. I hope so. But maybe.

Far too early to tell. But I'm....optimistic?

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Anno posted:

Unfortunately I have no faith in anyone developing an MMO of any real size the “normal way” to make anything interesting right now, so I kinda just have to cross my fingers and hope something like this ends up working out, even if it feels kinda skeezy at times. I check out their monthly streams occasionally and they’ve at least been very clear that you shouldn’t be trying the alpha unless you’re really into playing broken, buggy stuff, which all games are at this point. So that’s good I guess.

Yeah they don't hide that it's a hot mess in its current state...which gives me hope.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Orv posted:

We're all decrepit ancients now, ain't nobody got time for that poo poo.

I'll barely have time to play it on release but eh. I'm hoping for that old nostalgia from good MMOs.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Red Herring posted:

Verbal NDA was dropped so anyone in the A1 is able to talk about their experience, just no pictures of videos.

I think so, it definitely needs a ton of polish, but you can start to see the way things are behind the scenes. I think the biggest indicator is in the A1 test Steven and some of the other devs were incredibly involved in working with people. Testing was also hyper-focussed.

Pretty early days, the first Alpha tested the node system. We were able to level nodes and build stuff like shops. It's hard to say since it's still very much Alpha, but a node town was necessary to get mounts and stuff.

The alpha is very much an alpha - it's as you'd properly expect from an early software alpha, so it's hard to give feedback on how things work, or what's possible. IMO, what I saw, looked good. I wasn't necessarily impressed, but I wasn't disenchanted or unhappy with the game state.

Referral code if anyone is so inclined: https://ashesofcreation.com/r/GZ6F55UW9N3VZ1YU

You just restated basically everything I said :dafuq:

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Kaysette posted:

it’s good to get some confirmation from different alpha goons.

Can’t wait to play this in 5 years.

True.

About 5 years is pretty accurate tbh.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

ShowTime posted:

I can’t imagine how I’d be feeling right now if I was one of the people that purchased the $500 package.

Edit: Went through and read the thread from the beginning until right when COVID started and wow, I had no idea. I just started looking into the game because I’d heard about it before and honestly, because it was at the top of this forum. This thread is a pleasure to read armed with the most recent info from the last page or so. I even feel bad about what I said about the $500 version because it’s clear some people in this thread are among them.

I’ll finish the last 5-6 pages tomorrow when I’ve had some sleep. I wanna see what people say while the pandemic is raging.

Eh. To be fair. As someone who threw 475 at it during Kickstarter....

If you have 475$ to throw at something you want to believe in, generally speaking you have a disposable income and a salaried job.

Wife and I both have a salaried job.

We lose and gain more than $500 in our investment accounts every hour.

$500 for a chance at a few years of entertainment when I already have terminal cancer is fine to me.

Win some, lose some. Not like it's going with me.

I had over 1400 in star citizen....but got that poo poo refunded.

Either way all That being said the whole new situation is definitely....concerning.

It definitely shakes my confidence in the project.

Edit: big thumbs on mobile makes numbers hard.

Edit 2: new lazypeon video

https://youtu.be/tMTCICnb7-M

Ffycchi fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 31, 2021

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

30.5 Days posted:

"But first, a quick reminder that on the 5th of June at 1pm UTC, my six animated NFTs will be up for auction on the world token marketplace."

Yeah I have sponsorblock so I didn't even see that but Holy gently caress thats stupid.

Comrayn posted:

If Jeff Bezos threw five hundred bucks at a Kickstarter video game I would laugh at how much of a dumbass he is no need to tell us about your bank account lol

Jeff bezos has thrown billions at smedley of all people to run Amazon game studios...I don't think you could have picked a worse example if you tried.

Also it's not about my personal finances it's about wanting to believe in a mmo that will come out that will bring back that nostalgia from my childhood before I die of cancer. I'm willing to pay for that vOv

punk rebel ecks posted:

I remember when TheLazyPeon made this video ranting about how all MMOs suck and how he actually hates the genre:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_2ttuyE1Rg

Tbf he isn't wrong. The genre is poo poo right now.

hobocrunch posted:

Can LazyPeon play the genre that is designed to be played for a long time for more than a loving day?

I use him more of a litmus test of "is it even worth downloading to try" than a serious reviewer.

Generally his pros and cons seem to be pretty accurate, and his approach of "if I'm not interested after a day it's unlikely that I will be later" isn't far off from the market average.

I still say I'm cautiously optimistic about the game as a whole, but the lead game designer leaving is a concerning development.

Ffycchi fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jun 1, 2021

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

Would you call Final Fantasy XIV a 6 out of 10 game?

Honestly id give it worse. I'm a pvper. For pve I've heard it's amazing. I just don't care about that side of the game.

I did try it. I got to level 30 something and just didn't enjoy the combat feel.

At the end of the day it's his opinion just like mine is my own.

Edit: did a doublequote

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Pandaal posted:

Just wanted to +1 the LazyPeon comments, dude’s heart clearly isn’t in making MMO content anymore and it shows. Perfectly fine considering he’s clearly worked on himself a lot and with self-improvement sometimes your interests change, but with YouTube as his main source of income he needs to decide whether he wants to try something else (which he’s also made a video on I believe) or stop clearly half-assing his MMO stuff.

He actually looks rather interested in the ashes stuff.

I really don't blame him for not having his heart into he current mmo market, nor the mental health bits. but I do agree he needs to pick one.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

hobocrunch posted:

I'm not really flaming him. I just wish he'd recognize that he's not having fun.
Can he not just get a posse of dudes to play MMO's with him like say Russian Badger does for FPS stuff? It just seems like he's so depressed. I think it's fine to primarily play Solo in an MMO but at least play alongside friends. Having people to talk to about a game provides so much motivation.

I think he has actual issues, like some sort of depression or anxiety disorder tbh.

I know you're not flaming him I generally agree with you.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Orv posted:

Almost irrespective of what the $500 gives you, charging it for alpha access feels insanely scummy. People do not actually view that as "We're overcharging for alpha access because we want people who will understand this is under development" (because no one ever does), people view it as $500 for alpha access.

I've been with the game since Kickstarter. My 475 package included a lifetime subscription.

Yeah, we know he ran a mlm. I was actually SUPER skeptical. I knew about the game before ks, before any announcements, and I called bullshit on it very early on....once I saw the KS and did some background research in the people involved and otherwise I went for it.

fact is....it's already better than crowfall with less development time.

Yeah,1 we know he's a shite gamer(I personally camped him on archeage)

Yes lol 500bux to get into alpha. If that's all you consider it.

That being said...I would not pay 500 for a year sub+ the rest.

Lifetime was worth it, a year...eh. na.

If it sucks at launch, it's only 500. No sub, nothibg to worry about. I can treat it like gw2 and randomly come back enjoy a week or two and then piss off.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Ad by Khad posted:

you're allowed to spend money on whatever the gently caress you want but i'm allowed to say lol

I hope anyone who dumps $500 on this stupid mmo gamble also spends their money on real things that exist as well

I do. Oncology isn't cheap hah.

As I've stated before I'm literally dying of cancer.

I can't take it with me.

It's likely to be the last mmo I ever play once it's released.

With lifetime subscription I dont have to worry about it costing me anymore.

I had extra money when I bought it. Still do. Won't for long though.

If it turns out to be great, then even at my worst when I'm completely broke from hospital bills I'll at least have something fun and people to be around as I have Chernobyl piped through my veins.

If it turns out to be bad, well... I'm dying sooner than later so, again, can't take it with me.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

FrostyPox posted:

I mean in that case go nuts, dude.

It's just that so goddamn many kickstarter MMOs wind up being scams or, at best, complete garbage that it just boggles my mind that there's people who are like "Yeah I'll spend $500 on this unproven, untested, currently nonexistent game in a genre with a spotty-at-best track record", but if I was in your shoes I'd probably say "gently caress it" and do the same kind of thing

You pretty much summed up all my thoughts in a nutshell.

punk rebel ecks posted:

LMAO at spending $500 on an unproven videogame :smuggo:

Your impressions of the game are extremely valuable to the this thread and do very much to color the impressions I and others have on the game. Thank you for sharing your experiences with the title and don't care what a bunch of dumb basement dwelling virgin nerds say about your spending habits. I hope you manage to beat cancer without going broke from our barbaric healthcare system, so you can live out your life to the fullest.

Cheers mate haha, sadly this cancer isn't beatable.

Median expectancy is 12 years...

I'm the 76th person ever to have had it.

It's genetic and it will keep coming back along my lymphatic system until it gets to my brain and well...that's all she wrote.

I moved from the UK where health care is free...but they would have just put me on hospice. Money is better spent on saving a few million people instead of millions to keep one guy alive who is a dead man walking anyways. And I agree with that summation.

Ad by Khad posted:

dang thats rough

I'll lol at a lot of things but not that

Yeah. I've had better times hah. And I'm only 34.

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

fenix down posted:

dang it got real heavy in here! for real though $500 is a lot for a video game but i would try this one out at a more reasonable price.

i'm watchin a stream on twitch and it seems pretty smooth. reminds me of ESO.

A lot of people have been saying it's a mix of ESO and gw2.

The biggest issue currently is it seems they are trying really hard to do both action combat and tab targeting...

The problem with doing two things is if you don't get them perfect you have two half arsed combat systems.

It actually got to the point that Stephen (the mlm CEO lol) said that if they didn't perfect it by *date I can't remember* they would scrap action combat and move 100% to tab targeting hybrid instead.

Doing two systems that work together flawlessly is hard. who'd have thought....:dafuq:

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Lawlicaust posted:

Honestly the answer is to have PvP and PvE exclusive abilities and different coefficients for shared abilities. Anything else forces you to balance one around the other in a never ending circle jerk of terrible.

You dont even need exclusive abilities.

Just different scaling for PvP and pve.

If target=player
Then exec pvpdamageformula
If target=npc
Then exec pvedamageformula
If target=aoe
Read targetlist
If player
Write pvpdamageformula
If npc
Write pvedamageformula

Obviously a bit more complicated but not much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Kaysette posted:

Yeahhh he keeps doing hype videos and it seems very forced now that development has seemingly stagnated

When you have a channel built literally on MMOs and MMOs have been dead for like 10 years then you do what you can.

I can't really blame him for covering something that doesn't have too much news, but either way, I'm also excited about the possibilities of ashes of creation. I can definitely see some problems involved in development and everything else, but at the same time it's really is the only one that even looks tolerable within the near future.