Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

FireWhizzle posted:

The biggest red flag with this is that UE4 is an engine ->>not built by default for mmo-scale things<<-

It requires:
1. Rewrite of client netcode interfaces to phase characters in/out in an mmo context, instead of loading ALL things on game load
2. Custom server (the default UE4 server even in-cluster has trouble with > 200 clients), since the precision is so high because it's made for shooter games, not cell-movement MMOs.
3. Rewrite of client level streaming and coordinate system to allow for less precision and more space.

You need SE for these things if you want them to not gently caress up in an MMO context.

Blade & Soul was UE3, and they just said gently caress it we're instancing every map with zone loads, and running several "channels" aka servers to handle it.

This is gonna be a train wreck and I can't wait!

e: Source, I'm an ECPE, and have been working with UE4 for 2 years, and am pretty drat familiar with the internals :tinfoil:

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
lol, i can't wait to hear how this time.... they're actually going to do crowdfunding right and that this will be a success.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Mirificus posted:

A Bard's Tale, an Ashes of Creation Story. Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtz-De83-Ys

lol, people are already writing fan fiction for a madeup game that is going to inevitably fail. We are truly living in the best timeline friends.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

FireWhizzle posted:

That said they still haven't announced any network engi's writing a believable MMO scale solution for UE4.

Also they kinda hosed themselves not making a prototype first lmao. The idea of making a game starts with the ability to make a game.

The folks they identified have no experience with netcode and that's honestly the hardest part. This game is going to fail hard.

Also, they don't even have a prototype to show?! Just... Wtf is with companies continuing to do this. Why havent brain damaged customers caught onto this scamming trend yet?

More importantly, why do people take solace in knowing that game programmers from poorly coded games are going to somehow make things better this time around.

Of note... Programmers in the gaming industry are terrible. Like... Laughably terrible. I think I'd trust someone with a history outside of gaming more than I would with a decade within the industry

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
"We believe the crowdfunding platform to be perfect for making a game for the player you actually want to attract. Perhaps most importantly, is that it allows you to be involved with our process. Through both financial and creative transparency you’ll be able to have input with design through the developer’s forums, so you see what we’re working on and what’s on our mind. "

Just lol.... Yes, the only way we can legally include you in the process and give you financial and creative transparency is by asking you to give us money. Literally no other way to do that.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

-They have 0 coders
-only artists and idea people
-everyone on board is underqualified by a huge amount
-a pyramid scheme referral system where you make LESS money if all your referrals recruit people
-The CEO used to run a MLM and has no background in video games

And they're promising to revolutionize the absolutely hardest to make type of video game of all time.

This is a group of people who saw Star Citizen and realized there is absolutely no accountability and they can get away with selling dreams and images of things for an elaborate fantasy for YEARS.

I'm glad of it

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Blazing Zero posted:

thank alex for helping russia evade taxes or whatever this is

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Reverand maynard posted:

Because we went from Ultima, Everquest, Eve, Lineage, FFXI, DAoC, World of Warcraft type games to lovely kickstarter MMOs who are staffed completely by artists and PR and lacking any actual programming talent. Every single loving MMO made this decade has been a reskin of previous games with update graphics but worse everything else. Of course I'm here to poo poo on this, because they've been making GBS threads down our throats for years.

There is no one with any loving talent left in this industry and I really don't expect that to change. The entire MMO industry has devolved into a cesspool to the point where the only people looking to get into it are people that barely graduated with a CS degree but sure do LOVE MMOS and they have a lot of vague ideas about what they want in a game but lack the intellectual know how to code it themselves.

In short, PISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

:piss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUz9xCTOPRw

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

Asehujiko posted:

Hey Alexander DeLarge, are you going to make a thread for Wild West Online, the kickstartered free for all pvp sandbox by new studio 612 Games, the number standing for the amount of times this has been tried before with no success?

Female characters are a $400.000 stretch goal.

This sounds good and promising. Please provide the buttcoin address so I can give them all the buttcoins, tia

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
This post is procedurally generated.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
Everything about this scam makes me very, very glad.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

:thunk:

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

I'm the redacted stretch goal

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

lol, this game is going to end up being a bigger scam than star citizen

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

megalodong posted:

Is that lethality guy on the payroll or something?

His "business success" was scamming people with MLMs and vitamin water.

Anyone who is positive about this scam is on the take

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
It's always a good thing when your scam game is compared to star citizen

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k
this is still a thing lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

Gravy Boat 2k

30.5 Days posted:

"But first, a quick reminder that on the 5th of June at 1pm UTC, my six animated NFTs will be up for auction on the world token marketplace."

Lol