Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
Maybe watching prospective MMOs implode is the true evolution of the MMO experience.
1) You get to engage in grand fantasy.
2) The idea of achieving goal satisfaftion is always pushed out into the indeterminable future.
3) The pleasure gained from seeing your fellow players (financial backers) fail.
4) Sense of community in the shared experience.
5) F2P model for most, with Pay-to-win for those needing a heightened sense of emotional turmoil.

It's truly a wonderful time to be alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
I've always found WoW to be super boring. I've tried getting into it multiple times, but it just doesn't work for me. It feels like I'm doing the same quests with different scenery, all of which have been done by countless others in the same way. Maybe it's rose colored glasses or whatever, but I like the sense of adventure and consequence from games like EQ. Quests and raids were something you found and felt like you were doing them in your own way. I've tried quite a few MMOs and don't think there's been something that has scratched that itch since.

Edit:
That isn't to justify dropping cash on crowd-funding scams like this.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug

Reverand maynard posted:

Every single one reminds me of the goon project to create an island

Come on now, at least that had potential.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
after seeing new posts in this thread and venturing in here to see what's up, i can't say i regret it.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
everquest landmark was fun to screw around in for the 2.5 hours the servers were up and I had enough resources to build something of substance (I built a penis).

it felt rad at the time and I believed the new vision with player built assets funnelling into eq next, where they had roaming npcs that were dependant on dynamic quest chains and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
https://youtu.be/5IsSpAOD6K8