Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ShowTime posted:

1 scroll through without someone mentioning 500, somewhere.

What is “500?” Is it like “over 9000!” or something? I don’t follow Asmon or the “Asmon reacts to” videos on YouTube, but I know who that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I gotcha. Does make sense now, and I wasn’t busting Asmon’s balls, I just personally haven’t watched any of his videos. He’s probably not any worse than Fred or Annoying Orange I had to watch and pretend to enjoy for my then 8y/o son.

Goddamn I hated Fred.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Appreciated all the responses I got and I hope nobody felt like I was being mean about the guy! I knew he was big simply because for almost any subject about WoW on YouTube inevitably gives you a couple of his videos; the thumbnails just never made me want to click. I don’t enjoy watching other people play games Live, unless for a new game’s trailers or even early gameplay of a game I’m interested in before I spend money on it. That’s the reason I’m even ITT right now because I’m actually pretty stoked about this game because it sounds like it really could be new and I like PvP once I’m max-level but not getting ganked while minding my own business and working on something. I can’t wait to see how some mechanics shake out in AoC but I still play mmo’s with my boy (he’s played WoW with me since he was 9 and I think he just enjoys me being goofy and we’ve always entertained each other, even if we run out in the world to mine or grind as casuals do). AoC looks a lot like it would be fun exactly for us!

30 is not old. 🤬

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

ShowTime posted:

In Lost Ark some people spend $1,000 a week or more. It happens. It's your hobby and if you got the money, spend it. I'd rather you do that than drink or smoke crack.

How do I drink crack? Is this like eyeballing Jenkem or something? :barf:

Seriously though I’ve watched a couple of clips and this looks nice, especially for an alpha! Fingers crossed is always hopeful, but I really do think this one is looking like it’s actively being developed. The rules set sounds ambitious. Even if it had bad graphics, if the game is not a net coded clusterfuck I really think this one sounds fun to get into on launch day (maybe launch week, it’s a mmo so launch days will be clusterfucked and queued).

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

30.5 Days posted:

Also he fired a pretty key netcode engineer like 6-12 mo ago in a fit of pique and things have been having problems since. Netcode engineers are, for whatever reason, loving unicorns that everybody needs and nobody can find. Pretty important for an MMO.

That suuuuux! The two mega-MMOs of the 3D era (EQ & WoW) have always been frank that their network people are top-flight and a huge part of making them stand out and win for so long to become the “two mega-MMOs!” Players generally don’t squash lag and duping-via-online exploits at all in those two; seems some newer game studios never even tried to hire the talent in the first place.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Howard Beale posted:

Used to have to time my wizard nukes the same way, hoping I'd be below the aggro threshold by the time the spell went off. "Start your cast at X percent" was always iffy even on 56K.

I remember as a rogue having to “guess” when to backstab a moving mob, because a ping of 1+ seconds could make you sneak/hide through the mobs in Runnyeye which would aggro them and knock you out of stealth.

WoW was the same, except stealth was one button/skill instead of two, and I did this in PvP BGs with a 1+ second ping as well!

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

BadLlama posted:

I will remain cautiously optimistic for this one but my wallet will stay stuffed in my b-hole for now.

Yeah, I am hoping they’ll pull it off…but I’m not buying stuff for a game that isn’t even out yet. I will happily pay for a game, a subscription, and even the occasional cosmetic from a real money cash shop!

From a finished game, of course. I played both EQ and WoW day 1, in the days before all quests and gear were datamined in beta. But I’m not paying one cent for a game that isn’t done yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

PyRosflam posted:

Both of those games, while not "done" had huge teams pumping out content and watching the populations to make sure things were going right. By the time of a Beta the games were close to "done".

This is not going to be the case with AOC

:agreed:

Also, Kickstarter wasn’t invented yet…so no “kickstarted MMO” vibes were around.