Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Good Dumplings posted:

when has any MMO had a lifetime subscription and lasted longer than the subscription was worth though? never mind the near certainty it'll go F2P

you're better than lethality, don't stoop to his level of spending big people money on dead-before-arrival games

Does Star Trek Online count?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Good Dumplings posted:

does it still do subscription only or is there some kind of plex/F2P system? I don't recall it being pure subscription

like for this $400 cash fire to be worth it the game would have to be subscription-only for 2.5 years, no plex and no free mode. and assuming you would've subscribed that whole time, since some goons just sub/unsub when they want to take a break from a game

it's been a thing for the past 10 years or so yeah, most games expecting to fold/go free in like a year do lifetime subscriptions. also :h5:, RO is p. cool outside of the horrifying endgame grind

Well I did the math really quick, STO was released in February 2010. If you ordered the lifetime sub when it was discounted at $249.99 you had 17 months to enjoy the full length of the costs of regular sub of $14.95 a month. July 2011 is the point the lifetime sub paid for itself. It didn't hit F2P until January 2012.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Hahaha holy poo poo, no wonder I saw so many referral links in the Kickstarter comments. :lol:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Pawn 17 posted:

Guys, guys, with this sweet kickstarter money they could hire 10 programmers for 1 year. Including a netcode bro!

I'm curious though, for games like this do they just use the kickstarter money as a sales pitch to VCs? Cause I think an MMO costs like $50+ million to make. And this game could be cool if it ever gets made.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Sarsapariller posted:

So apparently the AoC obvious pyramid scheme, I mean referral program, was in violation of kickstarter's own rules. They lied to kickstarter about it, and kickstarter's not going to do anything.

http://www.pcgamer.com/ashes-of-creation-kickstarter/

So I guess if you generate enough money the ethics rules don't apply to your project?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p86IzjXPc_0

I guess, but Kickstarter only gets a 5% cut so it's only worth about $163K+. It could have been just bad timing that it all came to light after funding happened. It would look messy to cancel it right after funding. But yeah, it sucks.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Cardboard Fox posted:

I heard that this is now a battle royale game??

Yes. Are you excited?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

SweetBro posted:

Hey, say what you will but Age Of Conan is still a thing. And the combat was probably some of the best for any MMO in its time.

Having your horse kick people off bridges will never stop being funny to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-rl3RPC_Mw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

LuckyCat posted:

Is the sole biome in the game snowy mountains as is showcased in that video? :confused:

I saw a forest once.