Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

deep dish peat moss posted:

I didn't like it and stopped watching after 4 episodes. They tried to force a joke after every line of dialog and the whole thing feels cramped, and most of the jokes are throwaway pop culture or videogame references/attempts to appeal to the youth (this is more of a systematic Netflix problem though, they did the same thing to Bill Nye). The original MST3k had very subdued humor that didn't require any outside knowledge of any pulp culture media beyond the movie they were watching and was full of the love of the production crew, the new one feels more like it was designed by focus group with specific callouts to various hip young audiences.

that is only partially true, i mean the original had more pop culture jokes than you might remember. just off the top of my head , i can remember frequent jokes about popular music (like singing a few lines of a well-known song that make for a funny joke about what's happening in the movie), famous actors, famous/classic movies and tv shows, i even remember my mom explaining jokes i didn't get because they were about howdy doody time or things like that that were before my time

i'm a big nerd so i even have the old mst3k book and episode guide and they have a goofy list (with explanations) of their 50 most obscure references so i even have actual citations from a real life book that there did indeed used to be refs that needed outside knowledge

that being said it does feel like they've gone from (to make up some numberS) maybe a 25/75 mix of pop culture / non-outside knoweldge-requiring, to maybe 50/50, and your criticism is at leats partially true imo.

i've only seen the first ep of the new one and i liked it but not qutei as much as the old one, but enough taht i'll watch more

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

JackBadass posted:

Do the new ones have the funny guy or Joel?

not gonna fall for this trap but nice try :hehe:

i think both mike and joel are funny

also the new guy jonah is dece he seem sfunny so far

ty manifisto

alnilam

I thought they were from michigan

alnilam

joke_explainer posted:

Continuity isn't really the shows strong suit.

are you saying we should repeat to ourselves 'it's just a show, i should really just relax'?

alnilam

I rip all the skiffs

*behind me you see dozens of small boats taking on water and sinking*

• Locked thread