Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Made of Meat

I've been a huge MST fan/nerd since forever, and I was very concerned about the new show. Due to RL conflicts, I was only able to watch episode 1101 tonight.

The new actors and framework are a bit difficult to take in all at once, but overall it's not a big problem. I'll agree that sometimes they seemed like they were forcing jokes just to fill time, but that wasn't a huge issue either. As to the claims that they're pandering to hipsters or current pop culture, I was very happy to find that that's not at all true. I'm old and crusty and I have no idea what kids these days are into, but there were many good riffs regarding stuff from the 70s, 80s, and beyond.

Only one episode in, but I'm finding myself much relieved, and hopeful for what's to come.

Throughout the viewing, I was definitely aware that Joel and Co. had spent a LOT of money, much of which seemed . . unnecessary. The hallway sequence is amazing, and uses technology not possible on the old show. However, no matter how cool the concept, the CGI was choppy and sub-par. Besides, a huge part of the charm of the old show was the cheap, cheesy, hand-built vibe of it all.

The bridge of the SOL looked . . . like mediocre CGI with little imagination behind it.

And come on. Three puppeteers each for Tom Servo and Crow? A cast/crew list that rivaled The Ten Commandments? It's hardly what we came to know and love all those many years ago.

Maybe next time, Joel will ask me, and we can get things done right!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Made of Meat

OK, I clearly haven't read up on this as much as j_e, and there's a big thing puzzling me.

Kinga? Why Kinga? In episode 901, we learned that all of the women in the Forrester family are named after gemstones.

Robot Made of Meat

Peanut Butler posted:

he is a talented and funny dude yeah!
I've always been a Joel-preferrer but Mike is also funny- a couple of friends of mine who are younger than me prefer Mike but not strongly but they were tiny babbies in '94 when I was an awkward zitty babby

I like Mike better. That's not to say I hate Joel more than the hatred of a thousand burning suns or anything, but I like Mike better.

Robot Made of Meat

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

I skip the riffs.

What does that leave, about 20 seconds?

• Locked thread