Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

wandler20 posted:

Please don't talk about the Gators and Hurricanes itt.

sorry buddy, you guys are the ones holding the banner for floridaman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

And thus we see time is a flat circle :haw:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Blitz7x posted:

Obviously just drafting him isn't crossing Gronks name off the list, but he has the build and athleticism that the Raiders don't currently have.

After the amount of yards that tight ends gouged the Raiders for last year I'm shocked the Raiders only took two safeties

I'm actually glad we took a high round CB. LB can be somewhat mitigated by Mack eating everyone's lunch, but it'd be nice to not have every deep pass that they finally manage to get off go sailing into the end zone for a touchdown :sigh:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't see the point in drafting a CB that high with how much we've invested in Amerson and Smith. Smith is getting older and coming off a down year, but still. With literal gaping holes at MLB and DT, to not address them in free agency or in the draft except with a 3rd round project and a 5th feels stupid. We're in win now mode and we've got a guy to compete with Nelson for a starting safety spot and a guy to compete with Carrie for nickel corner in the first round, without addressing our biggest needs. I'd imagine that our defense is going to be not good again, and the center of the field is going to be where we get hurt. Again.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
I'm so happy we got Kevin King

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Fenrir posted:

I haven't been following college ball as well as I used to... how did the Packers do, aside from the no-brainer Kevin King pick we all knew was gonna happen? I don't know who the rest of these dudes are.

I felt they did really well, the only "better" fits at some of those spots were guys with character concerns the Packers just weren't going to take at any point in time. I think the sheer number of running backs they picked up (3!) is kindof ridiculous but I guess carpet bombing a position is a valid draft strategy right? If you look at the 3 RBs they drafted the 6th round guy out of UTEP is probably a change of pace back who will relieve Ty on occasion. Not bad for a 6th round pick. THe 4th round guy out of BYU is more of a bruiser, big back. His combine scores show that too, comparing him to a lot of big backs.

Outside of the backs, I like the DT out of Auburn. He's fast as hell for a DT (4.82 40) and presumably can be motivated at this level.

Hot Diggity! posted:

Also this.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Sorry I was in a buzzkill mood, I actually agree with you.

I want the Eagles to get one or two good seasons out of Pumphrey, a little tiny man that no one can see squeezing through traffic like Simba in the wildebeest would be hilarious.

Sproles is going to go back to his small home planet and leave Pumphrey with his mighty tiny powers.

We'll still need an rb1 though.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Big Beef City posted:

Pretty much everyone handing out draft grades thus far has given the Packers an 'A' rating if not flat out saying top 5-10 over all quality drafts this year (for the most part there are outliers of course). So, take that however you want to.
If you combine that with the fact that the Bears and Lions got some pretty crappy reviews of their drafts all around as well, it seems to bode pretty well at least divisionally for the Pack. So...yay?

I really don't understand why analysts are so down on Detroit's draft. Yeah sure, a pass-rusher would've been nice, but considering what was on the board when we made picks, I think we mostly made the right calls. Every pick was for a position of need, nearly every player has high upsides, and we might manage to not get murdered by TEs this season. That's a solid draft in my books.

The Bears' draft, though... yeesh.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That's what I thought. I'm kinda curious because the Patriots look a shitload stronger but may have sacrificed long term potential. I'm not sure how to analyze their off-season since they traded all those picks, but they said they only had roughly 50-75 players as draftable.

The only ones worth worrying about are the 1st for Cooks and the 2nd for Kony Ealy. I'm a lot higher on Cooks then Ealy for obvious reasons I'm sure Fiz would love to expand on, but both of them are only 25, so it's not that short term of a deal (outside of they have to actually sign Ealy next year and Cooks the year after.

Also my view of what makes a good draft:

- A quality starter at an important position (pass rusher, secondary, tackle) or very good player anywhere else. Typically your first round pick, but if you gently caress up on that, but find a gem in the 3rd round, fantastic, who cares where they were drafted.

- 2 fine starters or good rotational pieces. Solidify your offensive line with a guard that doesn't get embarrassed or an inside linebacker that give you the first two downs of every drive and tackle well. A running back that fills a specific role well or a 2nd wide receiver that can make plays against weaker coverage.

- Some guys who can contribute as backups, fringe roleplayers and good special teams players. Basically every 5th-7th round DE, LB, receiver or secondary guy is gonna play 100+ snaps a year on ST, and as long as your ST are fine, and these guys were fine, you're happy. Just get on the loving field and don't embarrass yourself much

What makes a great draft is any excellent player, a capable franchise caliber QB, or doubling up on either of the first two options here.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kalli posted:

The only ones worth worrying about are the 1st for Cooks and the 2nd for Kony Ealy. I'm a lot higher on Cooks then Ealy for obvious reasons I'm sure Fiz would love to expand on, but both of them are only 25, so it's not that short term of a deal (outside of they have to actually sign Ealy next year and Cooks the year after.

- A quality starter at an important position (pass rusher, secondary, tackle) or very good player anywhere else. Typically your first round pick, but if you gently caress up on that, but find a gem in the 3rd round, fantastic, who cares where they were drafted.

- 2 fine starters or good rotational pieces. Solidify your offensive line with a guard that doesn't get embarrassed or an inside linebacker that give you the first two downs of every drive and tackle well. A running back that fills a specific role well or a 2nd wide receiver that can make plays against weaker coverage.

- Some guys who can contribute as backups, fringe roleplayers and good special teams players. Basically every 5th-7th round DE, LB, receiver or secondary guy is gonna play 100+ snaps a year on ST, and as long as your ST are fine, and these guys were fine, you're happy. Just get on the loving field and don't embarrass yourself much

What makes a great draft is any excellent player, a capable franchise caliber QB, or doubling up on either of the first two options here.

yeah but missing out on the rookie pay scale aint nothing

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Kalli posted:

I'm sure Fiz would love to expand on,

he sucks

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
He coulda been Super Bowl MVP!

Kalli posted:

Cooks is only 23.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

He coulda been Super Bowl MVP!

and it woulda turned out to be a cruel joke.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Yeah Cooks to NE Is straight terrifying

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
People thought Randy Moss to New England was going to be terrifying and look at all that got them

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I am not terrified

Pats reign is almost over

dolphins about to take over the division

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Joe from Tallahassee asks , Is Ryan Tannehill ready to take the is-he-elite mantle from joe Flacco

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Volkerball posted:

I don't see the point in drafting a CB that high with how much we've invested in Amerson and Smith. Smith is getting older and coming off a down year, but still. With literal gaping holes at MLB and DT, to not address them in free agency or in the draft except with a 3rd round project and a 5th feels stupid. We're in win now mode and we've got a guy to compete with Nelson for a starting safety spot and a guy to compete with Carrie for nickel corner in the first round, without addressing our biggest needs. I'd imagine that our defense is going to be not good again, and the center of the field is going to be where we get hurt. Again.

counterpoint: we're going to own and win all the games and somehow beat the chargers 12 times in one season

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Volkerball posted:

In today's NFL, nickel is almost a base offense and the more corners the better!

They almost have to resign Perry Riley jr

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
The pearl clutching amongst Raider goons over the "importance" of a MLB in today's NFL is pretty hilarious.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Hot Diggity! posted:

Wish the Seahawks had taken him, although McDowell looks loving sicknasty. Seattle ended up with precisely nobody I expected them to, which is par for the course. No point trying to predict how Carroll and Schneider will draft, they have their guys and they usually go get them. Apparently they wanted the C they drafted (Pocic?) so bad they didn't even meet with him so as not to tip off the rest of the league.

But, that doesn't stop message boards from bellyaching! Blah blah why don't they do this why don't they do that?? They've made the playoffs for like half a decade, think I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for a while.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Amy Pole Her posted:

Yeah Cooks to NE Is straight terrifying

I mean what's the difference if they win 14 games again this year?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

warcrimes posted:

The pearl clutching amongst Raider goons over the "importance" of a MLB in today's NFL is pretty hilarious.

Lol I wondered what your angle on this was going to be. I guess WE DIDN'T NEED ONE ANYWAYS is about what I expected.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Ehud posted:

I am not terrified

Pats reign is almost over

dolphins about to take over the division

Print
The
Shirts

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Every team's draft minus the Bears (according to their fans): B+

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Volkerball posted:

I see Conley starting over Smith in the base and moving to slot in the nickel. And I feel great about getting a stud CB over MLB in the 1st, watching QBs carve our secondary up drives me crazy. And the goal is Obi will cover the tight ends that somehow are wide open in the middle of the field. Does suck we didn't get a bonafied MLB, let's just hope we get Riley Jr re-signed.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Volkerball posted:

Lol I wondered what your angle on this was going to be. I guess WE DIDN'T NEED ONE ANYWAYS is about what I expected.

amongst the afc west the only true constant is hate

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Paperback Writer posted:

I see Conley starting over Smith in the base and moving to slot in the nickel. And I feel great about getting a stud CB over MLB in the 1st, watching QBs carve our secondary up drives me crazy. And the goal is Obi will cover the tight ends that somehow are wide open in the middle of the field. Does suck we didn't get a bonafied MLB, let's just hope we get Riley Jr re-signed.

Eventually, but it's rare for a rookie corner to step in and be legit. In all honesty, he's likely going to be hard pressed to beat out Carrie this season, though they'll obviously get him on the field. Same story with Obi. He's probably going to get beat a lot by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and with Nelson starting and Obi likely not coming in at MLB, I'm expecting big plays to be had up the middle. And as far as pass defense, the Raiders were dead last in sacks last season with Khalil loving Mack on the roster. It doesn't matter how good your secondary is if you can't generate pressure. You're gonna get exposed. And the reason we can't isn't because of our pass rushers. It's because we have a weak rear end interior front seven that can't draw attention, and can't stop the run. Everything bad trickles outwards from there. And it's gonna be the same loving story next season because we didn't do anything to fix it lol. Hope Carr is ready to win us a bunch of games we have no business being in again, because we're gonna need it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I'm pretty chill with the Lions draft. No big hits but they knew their positional needs and went and got them. We've needed corner help for about 20 years and I feel like the only time we've gotten one before the third round was Darius Slay. There are guys I'd be less worried about than Tabor but hopefully he can overcome being slow for the position.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Well that's sort of strange.

https://twitter.com/JoshNorris/status/859039063185039360

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I give the Bears a F for bidding against themselves to move up for a prospect that the 49ers retrospectively didn't want, but their actual picks are fine. I can see all five being starters.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

Doltos posted:

I give the Bears a F for bidding against themselves to move up for a prospect that the 49ers retrospectively didn't want, but their actual picks are fine. I can see all five being starters.

The Ashland TE should be like a 3rd Tackle that can catch easy passes, hopefully. But, in the scouting reports posted here last week they said he was the biggest guy on the field in college and wasn't dominating, so who knows how that translates.

Also, my man Kizer is the ultimate Millenial so whatever, gently caress scouts.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/phinsiderradio/status/859080201585741831

lol

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
Maybe his agent didn't couldn't bear to tell him.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

lol it's just a typo bro

https://twitter.com/JordanLeggett16/status/859076706002493441

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Did the Bears even draft a single player who we can expect to be a starter on opening day?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Did the Bears even draft a single player who we can expect to be a starter on opening day?

Isn't that a really over ambitious metric, even with the Bears?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

The Glumslinger posted:

Eddie Jackson at returner I guess. maybe the fat neonazi tight end will beat out Charles Leno for a tackle spot. or if Zach Miller isn't back from injury , shaheen could start at TE

maybe Glennon will be so bad in training camp/preseason that Mitch can start week 1

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 1, 2017

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I'm very lukewarm on miamis 1st round pick but I seriously love the rest of our picks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Someone go through old draft threads and correlate TFF post draft rankings with these numbers

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/nfl-draft-performance-grades-best-drafting-teams-picks-classes-2012-2016

Aka never trust a SF or CLE draft

• Locked thread