Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

FizFashizzle posted:

where are all the grading articles btw

There honestly seems to be much fewer this year than in past seasons. I'm seeing a lot more of the sentiment that "grades are dumb until the draft class is 3-4 seasons old".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kiimo posted:

Mahomes sounds like a muppet, specifically Cookie Monster and I like it.

He's got a little Kermit to his voice I thought.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

SKULL.GIF posted:

There honestly seems to be much fewer this year than in past seasons. I'm seeing a lot more of the sentiment that "grades are dumb until the draft class is 3-4 seasons old".

That's because they are stupid and it's true. Sometimes you see people jump on a team because they made a bad value trade and then "reached." Or you see a team praised for shrewdly trading back and getting a highly regarded player. But you don't know until later if those picks were even good. If Trubisky is the best QB in this draft, the Bears are suddenly geniuses for seeing it. And the 49ers, for all their praise, might have drafted two duds in the first round. Thomas is a highly regarded DE, but those guys are boom or bust players at the top of the draft. And Foster might end up repeatedly injured/suspended. Then the 49ers go from geniuses to failures, who couldn't take advantage of a good situation.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I hope Mahomes does get the time to sit and learn from Andy before he has to take the field, because if he corrects his footwork and his pocket presence we really could be looking at a monster. I think his ceiling could really be the best years of Brett Favre with possibly an even bigger arm. The difficult part is going to be getting him to that ceiling because good god drat he's raw and he's just not NFL ready right now. I'd love to see it, though. He's got an arm that won't quit and the talent to funsling a 70 yard bomb from the opposite side of the field and I love that kind of bullshit. (See also: Aaron Rodgers heaving a 60 yard hail mary while running at full speed, and scoring a loving TD)

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fenrir posted:

I hope Mahomes does get the time to sit and learn from Andy before he has to take the field, because if he corrects his footwork and his pocket presence we really could be looking at a monster. I think his ceiling could really be the best years of Brett Favre with possibly an even bigger arm. The difficult part is going to be getting him to that ceiling because good god drat he's raw and he's just not NFL ready right now. I'd love to see it, though. He's got an arm that won't quit and the talent to funsling a 70 yard bomb from the opposite side of the field and I love that kind of bullshit. (See also: Aaron Rodgers heaving a 60 yard hail mary while running at full speed, and scoring a loving TD)

This but the exact opposite

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I think many people misinterpret what the grades actually represent. What I've always took away is they're a form of ranking that considers: the overall consensus of each individual player that you took, how much you had to give up to get them, and whether or not the player fills a void in the team.

Personally, I think this is the only possible way that the grades many any sense whatsoever. Using hindsight would be flawed due to the many influencers/dependencies of a player's development.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

John Brown posted:

I think many people misinterpret what the grades actually represent. What I've always took away is they're a form of ranking that considers: the overall consensus of each individual player that you took, how much you had to give up to get them, and whether or not the player fills a void in the team.

Personally, I think this is the only possible way that the grades many any sense whatsoever. Using hindsight would be flawed due to the many influencers/dependencies of a player's development.

This.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Volkerball posted:

This but the exact opposite

Oh horse poo poo. I know you hate the Chiefs but you can't tell me that wouldn't be fun to watch.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fenrir posted:

Oh horse poo poo. I know you hate the Chiefs but you can't tell me that wouldn't be fun to watch.

I couldn't even enjoy Jamaal Charles, who is my football spirit animal. I wish he was dead, even. The gently caress do I care about another wanna be Derek Carr. I hope a teammate murder suicides him.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Fenrir posted:

It actually wouldn't be

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm ready for the Chiefs to return to their 4-12 irrelevance that God created them to do.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

John Brown posted:

On the other hand I'd argue this isn't very valuable, other than for determining which draft pundits are idiots when you see how things actually pan out. I mean it's better than mock drafts I guess but not by a whole lot.

I'd also say Raiders fans' opinions of the Chiefs aren't very valuable, and I want Marty back. Alzheimers or no he'd probably beat the Raiders 9 out of 10 times just because of spite.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you get Marty we get dante hall

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Volkerball posted:

I couldn't even enjoy Jamaal Charles, who is my football spirit animal. I wish he was dead, even. The gently caress do I care about another wanna be Derek Carr. I hope a teammate murder suicides him.

You are a monster.

It hurts my soul to imagine anyone not wanting to see the dragon unleashed in the most hilarious possible ways.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Grittybeard posted:

and I want Marty back. Alzheimers or no he'd probably beat the Raiders 9 out of 10 times just because of spite.

Andy Reid is 5-1 against Oakland since he came to KC, 2 more season sweeps and he will have beaten them 9 out of 10 times

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
drat, McGinn is leaving.

https://twitter.com/PFWAwriters/status/859774199740628992

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Andy Reid is 5-1 against Oakland since he came to KC, 2 more season sweeps and he will have beaten them 9 out of 10 times

Don't diminish my love of Marty. Also talk to me when he does it for a decade.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

SKULL.GIF posted:

Heck, *we* don't even have a draft grade thread this year.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

fsif posted:

Which is surprising, but considering the chaos factor of this year's first round, I understand it.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Volkerball posted:

If you get Marty we get dante hall

I want Marty

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

a neat cape posted:

I want Marty

Words I'd never expected to see or hear from a Charger fan again.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Fenrir posted:

Words I'd never expected to see or hear from a Charger fan again.

Wait, do you think Chargers fans have anything but undying love for Marty?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

a neat cape posted:

Wait, do you think Chargers fans have anything but undying love for Marty?

I remember people calling for his head on a pike for "Martyball" and supposedly wasting LdT's prime.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Yeah, if there's like one thing Chiefs and Chargers fans agree on, it's that Marty Schottenheimer loving ruled.

Well, aside for "gently caress the Raiders" and "gently caress the Broncos" but that goes without saying

Fenrir posted:

I remember people calling for his head on a pike for "Martyball" and supposedly wasting LdT's prime.

Marty probably wouldn't have won a title in SD, but at the same time I think most Chargers fans nowadays (what's left of us, anyway) recognize it was stupid to get rid of him, especially after a 14-2 season.

Like most things, I blame Dean Spanos.

Durandal1707 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on May 3, 2017

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Fenrir posted:

Those people were dumb and a small, small minority. 99% of Chargers fans adore/adored Marty

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

a neat cape posted:

Those people were dumb and a small, small minority. 99% of Chargers fans adore/adored Marty

I still think he's the best coach the Chargers had since Coryell.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Grittybeard posted:

On the other hand I'd argue this isn't very valuable, other than for determining which draft pundits are idiots when you see how things actually pan out. I mean it's better than mock drafts I guess but not by a whole lot.

I'd also say Raiders fans' opinions of the Chiefs aren't very valuable, and I want Marty back. Alzheimers or no he'd probably beat the Raiders 9 out of 10 times just because of spite.

None of it is very valuable, really. It's all entertainment bullshit for the off-season. However, of all the busllshit, I believe it is the most applicable in terms of assessing a draft.

Consider this: we grade/rank prospects based on production, perceived value, and essentially guessing how their skills/tangibles will translate to the NFL. Teams even have a point system to map value to picks. So other than leveraging the aforementioned train of thought, how else would you gauge how well a team did?

Most importantly, let's not confuse drafting with development. Whether or not a pick panned out pertains more so to the latter for a lot of reasons. We've seen teams pick great prospects and completely botch their progression.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Fenrir posted:

I still think he's the best coach the Chargers had since Coryell.

Without a doubt, though that isn't really saying much.

I'd take him Alzheimer's and all over Norv or McCoy

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Yeah, probably. Though you could make a pretty good argument for Bobby Ross, given how much those early 90's Charger teams overachieved.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Losing Mcginn sucks but Gardner was a mediocre Bucks reporter so I have that at least.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Durandal1707 posted:

Yeah, if there's like one thing Chiefs and Chargers fans agree on, it's that Marty Schottenheimer loving ruled.

Well, aside for "gently caress the Raiders" and "gently caress the Broncos" but that goes without saying

Marty probably wouldn't have won a title in SD, but at the same time I think most Chargers fans nowadays (what's left of us, anyway) recognize it was stupid to get rid of him, especially after a 14-2 season.

Like most things, I blame Dean Spanos.

I worked with a Charger fan who loved the firing and talked about how it was a bold move that would end the perpetual playoff exits and the future was gonna be so bright.

He was a loving idiot.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Fenrir posted:

I worked with a Charger fan who loved the firing and talked about how it was a bold move that would end the perpetual playoff exits and the future was gonna be so bright.

He was a loving idiot.

The worst possible thing was the team winning two playoff games the year after firing Marty and thus buying Norv 7 years of cushion

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

a neat cape posted:

Once again the 1% fucks you over

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
Three of the reasons why firing Marty was so moronic were:

A): he literally coached the team to a 14-2 record, including winning 10 straight against some pretty good teams during that run. And yeah, he's snakebitten in the playoffs; you know who also loses to the Patriots? Literally everybody else.

B): the fact that it happened because Marty and AJ didn't get along. They both hated each other to the degree that both went weeks without speaking to each other. Again, I blame Dean for it because one of ownership's jobs is to make sure the HC and GM are on the same page and communicating with each other. And as we've seen, Dean is about as spineless of a twerp as any owner in the league, so he never had the personality to step in and mediate.

C): the timing of it. You want to get rid of Marty because he can't win the playoffs, that's one thing. The problem is that the Chargers' whole coach staff basically got raided that offseason, with Wade, Cam Cam, Chud, Hudson Houck all leaving for other jobs, and since most of the good coaching candidates were already hired, that left the team with Norv.

also jesus christ I can't believe all this poo poo went down over 10 years ago now.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

fsif posted:

For the best. I think the only Bills picks I've outright hated were Witner(I wanted Ngata so bad) and Maybin.
Only one of those picks was actually terrible, but I actually liked the Manuel pick, so I'm obviously an idiot.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Durandal1707 posted:

Three of the reasons why firing Marty was so moronic were:

A): he literally coached the team to a 14-2 record, including winning 10 straight against some pretty good teams during that run. And yeah, he's snakebitten in the playoffs; you know who also loses to the Patriots? Literally everybody else.

B): the fact that it happened because Marty and AJ didn't get along. They both hated each other to the degree that both went weeks without speaking to each other. Again, I blame Dean for it because one of ownership's jobs is to make sure the HC and GM are on the same page and communicating with each other. And as we've seen, Dean is about as spineless of a twerp as any owner in the league, so he never had the personality to step in and mediate.

C): the timing of it. You want to get rid of Marty because he can't win the playoffs, that's one thing. The problem is that the Chargers' whole coach staff basically got raided that offseason, with Wade, Cam Cam, Chud, Hudson Houck all leaving for other jobs, and since most of the good coaching candidates were already hired, that left the team with Norv.

also jesus christ I can't believe all this poo poo went down over 10 years ago now.

This begs the question, if forced to choose between a good coach and a good GM, which is the better option?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

He's got a little Kermit to his voice I thought.

Fun Fact: both Frank Oz and Jim Henson have voiced Cookie Monster so there is a little Kermit to his voice.

edit: also some Chiefs fans were happy to see Marty go. Those fans are as dumb as the Charger fans who are as dumb as the Eagles fans who cheered Andy Reid's departure. I wonder how they feel now.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 3, 2017

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

This begs the question, if forced to choose between a good coach and a good GM, which is the better option?

I'd side with the coach since his staff is responsible for developing talent. Tough choice either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Gun to head, i'd go head coach. A good HC can coach a team that doesn't have a lot of high talent into something respectable as long as those guys understand what's being asked of them. (which is pretty much what Marty did for a lot of his career)

I'd also mention that, in the particular case of the Chargers, AJ's drafting basically went right into the toilet after Marty was canned. Eric Weddle was pretty much the only player from the 07-09 drafts that was worth much and hung on with the team.

EDIT: just remembered Louis Vasquez was from 09 and he was pretty good for a few years before he left for Denver.

kiimo posted:

Fun Fact: both Frank Oz and Jim Henson have voiced Cookie Monster so there is a little Kermit to his voice.

edit: also some Chiefs fans were happy to see Marty go. Those fans are as dumb as the Charger fans who are as dumb as the Eagles fans who cheered Andy Reid's departure. I wonder how they feel now.
In some fairness to Eagles fans, Reid looked completely burned out his final two seasons there and really needed a fresh start without shoulder as much of the personnel responsibility as he did in Philly. Mind you, it's dumb, but I can understand both sides wanting to part ways after how badly the Eagles fell apart in 2012.

• Locked thread