Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I think a lot of the draft gurus were pretty honest about this year being a complete toss up. It's rare that anyone gets things right after like the top 10, but this year was exceptionally odd. Most people got Miles Garrett to Cleveland right, but to be fair most years we know well in advance what is happening with the first pick. A lot of people got Solomon Thomas to San Francisco right, but not trading back to three. I saw a lot of Leonard Fournette to Jacksonville and Christian McCaffrey to Carolina mocks, but no one had the three WRs going in the top 9.

I think the run on WRs and QBs in the top 12 threw a wrench into everyone's board.

The Glumslinger posted:

Did the Bears even draft a single player who we can expect to be a starter on opening day?

I think none of the Panthers picks will be opening day starters either, which is weird for a team with Super Bowl aspirations. McCaffrey will be behind Stewart, Samuel will be the third or fourth WR, Moton might be the backup RT, Hall might be the third DE behind Peppers and Johnson, Elder might be the fourth CB if he beats out Sanchez and Armah will compete for the starting FB job.

I guess technically McCaffrey or Samuel will be our starting PR/KR, and a lot of guys will get snaps.

Slowpoke! fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

SKULL.GIF posted:

There honestly seems to be much fewer this year than in past seasons. I'm seeing a lot more of the sentiment that "grades are dumb until the draft class is 3-4 seasons old".

That's because they are stupid and it's true. Sometimes you see people jump on a team because they made a bad value trade and then "reached." Or you see a team praised for shrewdly trading back and getting a highly regarded player. But you don't know until later if those picks were even good. If Trubisky is the best QB in this draft, the Bears are suddenly geniuses for seeing it. And the 49ers, for all their praise, might have drafted two duds in the first round. Thomas is a highly regarded DE, but those guys are boom or bust players at the top of the draft. And Foster might end up repeatedly injured/suspended. Then the 49ers go from geniuses to failures, who couldn't take advantage of a good situation.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Kalli posted:

At least it's "only" the 31st pick. But yeah, the 49ers are bad enough that taking high risk / high reward players isn't the best idea.

I think it would have been a huge mistake to take him at 3 if the concerns are this severe, but 31 is perfectly fine. He is a top 10 talent.

3 concussions for an ILB already is pretty scary though.

• Locked thread