Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Fenrir posted:

I haven't been following college ball as well as I used to... how did the Packers do, aside from the no-brainer Kevin King pick we all knew was gonna happen? I don't know who the rest of these dudes are.

I felt they did really well, the only "better" fits at some of those spots were guys with character concerns the Packers just weren't going to take at any point in time. I think the sheer number of running backs they picked up (3!) is kindof ridiculous but I guess carpet bombing a position is a valid draft strategy right? If you look at the 3 RBs they drafted the 6th round guy out of UTEP is probably a change of pace back who will relieve Ty on occasion. Not bad for a 6th round pick. THe 4th round guy out of BYU is more of a bruiser, big back. His combine scores show that too, comparing him to a lot of big backs.

Outside of the backs, I like the DT out of Auburn. He's fast as hell for a DT (4.82 40) and presumably can be motivated at this level.

Hot Diggity! posted:

I'm so happy we got Kevin King

Also this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Joe from Tallahassee asks , Is Ryan Tannehill ready to take the is-he-elite mantle from joe Flacco

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Blitz7x posted:

Someone go through old draft threads and correlate TFF post draft rankings with these numbers

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/nfl-draft-performance-grades-best-drafting-teams-picks-classes-2012-2016

Aka never trust a SF or CLE draft

I don't think many people have loved any of these teams drafts, although I remember thinking the 2013 Jets draft was good. I mean, 2 good defensive players and a quarterback prospect "feels" good even if only one of those players panned out.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Andy Reid is a Really Good Coach. if anyone was going to turn mahome into something good it's ANdy.

I mean, he's turned Alex Smith into a fairly decent quaterback.

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Alex Smith was already decent!

Has Reid actually developed a good QB since McNabb?

He has had his best years under Andy. Yards, completion percentage, touchdown, low interceptions, etc all way above what they were in San fran.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03.htm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

Coldforge posted:

Andy Reid's offense is a tad bit different in focus than Jim Harbaugh's. Just a tad.

Okay, maybe more than just a tad.

Because Andy retools his offense to fit his players. As Durandal1707 pointed out, he has had a lot of different QBs with a whole lot of different styles and they've all been good to above average. That's coaching, nobody just lucks into that.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I want Favre 2.0 so bad - neglecting the fact that it's extremely unlikely - so i'm really talking myself into this. BUT STILL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adaz
Mar 7, 2009

How dare any of you question Patrick Mahones, let today be known and rejoiced for generations to come as the day Mahones started his 7 time superbowl champion career.

KC Star posted:

Indeed, as Mahomes’ first practice as a Chief featured about what you’d expect. He showed off the gun early on by repeatedly attempting to slice the ball through a strong wind during a drill — it wobbled some, but it often got there — and there were some impressive throws and tight spirals, particularly into the deep and intermediate portions of the field.

There were also some strike-zone issues, spirals thrown so hard they were dropped at point-blank range, and a handful of questionable attempts into coverage.

[...]

That’s why some teams, in an effort to help rookie quarterbacks, reduce some of the offensive verbiage, or ask the quarterback’s teammates to carry on more of that burden.

But Mahomes won’t be getting any help like that, it appears, so he better keep his head in the playbook for the foreseeable future.

“That’s not the way we roll,” said Reid, who shook his head at the sheer notion of reducing the verbiage. “He’s got to learn. There’s only one way to learn. We’re going to give it to you ... learn it.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article149092499.html

• Locked thread