Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

Pretty excited about the Raiders safety they drafted in the second round specifically to counter Gronk

Hope he can play middle linebacker because someone has to. It's in the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I don't see the point in drafting a CB that high with how much we've invested in Amerson and Smith. Smith is getting older and coming off a down year, but still. With literal gaping holes at MLB and DT, to not address them in free agency or in the draft except with a 3rd round project and a 5th feels stupid. We're in win now mode and we've got a guy to compete with Nelson for a starting safety spot and a guy to compete with Carrie for nickel corner in the first round, without addressing our biggest needs. I'd imagine that our defense is going to be not good again, and the center of the field is going to be where we get hurt. Again.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

warcrimes posted:

The pearl clutching amongst Raider goons over the "importance" of a MLB in today's NFL is pretty hilarious.

Lol I wondered what your angle on this was going to be. I guess WE DIDN'T NEED ONE ANYWAYS is about what I expected.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Paperback Writer posted:

I see Conley starting over Smith in the base and moving to slot in the nickel. And I feel great about getting a stud CB over MLB in the 1st, watching QBs carve our secondary up drives me crazy. And the goal is Obi will cover the tight ends that somehow are wide open in the middle of the field. Does suck we didn't get a bonafied MLB, let's just hope we get Riley Jr re-signed.

Eventually, but it's rare for a rookie corner to step in and be legit. In all honesty, he's likely going to be hard pressed to beat out Carrie this season, though they'll obviously get him on the field. Same story with Obi. He's probably going to get beat a lot by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, and with Nelson starting and Obi likely not coming in at MLB, I'm expecting big plays to be had up the middle. And as far as pass defense, the Raiders were dead last in sacks last season with Khalil loving Mack on the roster. It doesn't matter how good your secondary is if you can't generate pressure. You're gonna get exposed. And the reason we can't isn't because of our pass rushers. It's because we have a weak rear end interior front seven that can't draw attention, and can't stop the run. Everything bad trickles outwards from there. And it's gonna be the same loving story next season because we didn't do anything to fix it lol. Hope Carr is ready to win us a bunch of games we have no business being in again, because we're gonna need it.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fenrir posted:

I hope Mahomes does get the time to sit and learn from Andy before he has to take the field, because if he corrects his footwork and his pocket presence we really could be looking at a monster. I think his ceiling could really be the best years of Brett Favre with possibly an even bigger arm. The difficult part is going to be getting him to that ceiling because good god drat he's raw and he's just not NFL ready right now. I'd love to see it, though. He's got an arm that won't quit and the talent to funsling a 70 yard bomb from the opposite side of the field and I love that kind of bullshit. (See also: Aaron Rodgers heaving a 60 yard hail mary while running at full speed, and scoring a loving TD)

This but the exact opposite

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

John Brown posted:

I think many people misinterpret what the grades actually represent. What I've always took away is they're a form of ranking that considers: the overall consensus of each individual player that you took, how much you had to give up to get them, and whether or not the player fills a void in the team.

Personally, I think this is the only possible way that the grades many any sense whatsoever. Using hindsight would be flawed due to the many influencers/dependencies of a player's development.

This.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Fenrir posted:

Oh horse poo poo. I know you hate the Chiefs but you can't tell me that wouldn't be fun to watch.

I couldn't even enjoy Jamaal Charles, who is my football spirit animal. I wish he was dead, even. The gently caress do I care about another wanna be Derek Carr. I hope a teammate murder suicides him.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'm ready for the Chiefs to return to their 4-12 irrelevance that God created them to do.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If you get Marty we get dante hall

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

He was and then he wasn't

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I'll have you know kordell stewart ended up 99 overall with multiple mvp awards with the Raiders in my like madden 01 franchise, so he was definitely a franchise qb. Just mishandled.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Jamarcus Russell's high school highlights are hilarious

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
My graduating class was 80 people, and we'd played in a conference of similar sized high schools. When I was in elementary school, our running back was a guy who ended up a multiple all American NT/DT for Western Illinois and bounced around as a camp body for a couple years after that. We had a board in the gym that listed all the schools records in track and field, and basically any record that had anything to do with strength or speed, he owned it. He played both sides of the ball en route to multiple state championships basically just racking up hundreds of yards a game against teams that would struggle to have a player for every position. It was the best thing ever.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

Austin Collie was our Kicker, punter, KR, PR, WR and cornerback and was amazing at every one of those positions

Yeah well you can tie your own shoes so who got the last laugh

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Trading a 1st and a 2nd for a 5th and a 6th was all a part of our diabolical plot. That's why we had to take a completely unremarkable corner instead of Lotulelei, and a 26 year old project tackle with our first picks.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 10, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
If Hayden is your slot corner you're in trouble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Blitz7x posted:

If we can take a step back here, maybe the Raiders own?

Interesting hypothesis blitz. I believe there might be observable evidence to support this conclusion.

• Locked thread