Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Yeah, let's determine rape charges here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

The Puppy Bowl posted:

It always seems like a good idea to grab the guys with top end talent who fall due to injury. They're good, you just have to wait a little bit to use them. At least that's what I've always thought, yet I can't think of a single player who missed their rookie year due to injury then went on to be a top end guy. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu has done nothing. I know Beckham missed a couple weeks his rookie year but he was healthy through training camp and got some good snaps before he came on. Can anyone think of someone who missed most of their rookie season to injury than went on to be great for the rest of their career?

In recent memory, Keenan Allen has been good if you exclude the important fact he can't stay on the field. Then again, he did play most of his first season and it was his best.

It's strange because there are a lot of articles that describe that as being a good strategy but they seldom have any examples. Then you have cases like the 49ers where it has been a disastrous strategy.

If I had to guess, because developing these players into NFL talent is already not assured, the process of recovering from injury is an interference that sets players back at the most crucial period of that transition. There's also the fact that the players whose injuries you hear about typically have more severe injuries from which they may not fully recover.

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Apr 30, 2017

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I would also not weigh too heavily what Smith did in San Fran prior to Harbaugh's arrival. That place was a dumpster fire.

Pretty much. If you look at those stats, it's fairly obvious that the real divide is between pre-2011 and post-2011 as opposed to Smith on the 49ers and Smith on the Chiefs.

• Locked thread